Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 18th March 2002, 22:01   #1  |  Link
midiguy

Evangelion and IVTC

ok, anyone have good decomb settings for evangelion episode DVD rips? or maybe greedyhma settings or IVTC4? if so, please post em, thanks.
Forum Suggestion: Perhaps there could be a section in the forum that is just about anime in general. I find that there are anime related posts (like this one) found all over the forum because there is no category for it.. just a suggestion..
midiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2002, 06:35   #2  |  Link
poopity poop
Master of Poop!

well there is no forum for ivtc but check out the HQ anime encoding thread around pages 2-4. In there they start discussing proper IVTC for anime.

I don't see how the evangelion DVD's can be that much different but use this for decomb:
telecide(post=false)
decimate(cycle=5)

Or you can take manomo's excellent advice from a private message to me listed here:

As for your questions. I got the idea for using the Chroma setting from western shinma when I showed him some screwed up IVTC pictures once, and DGraft also suggests it for anime in the Help File, and I don't think it can do harm, and can help a lot of times. So, yes, I recommend that one.

The Gthresh one is tricky, because sometimes it's too strong, and I found one case where it wasn't strong enough. But, for a good starting point, I might recommend Gthresh=40 instead of the stronger 50. But 40 or 50, it shouldn't make much difference. Maybe tell your site readers that if 40 or 50 don't work, to try larger or smaller numbers. That one really does seem to change things depending on the setting.

As for Threshold=30. I haven't found cases yet where it screws up things, but I've found lots of cases where the default (15) has created jaggies by deinterlacing good frames. So, yes, I recommend that setting, but maybe tell the readers that if they find interlacing getting through, to put it back at default. But I think that, for anime anyway, Threshold=30 is good.