Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th June 2008, 00:03   #41  |  Link
roozhou

@thetoof
It works great with double hard telecined materials though it is quite slow on my X2 1.8G (~0.3fps).
But which mode should i use to deal with 30p credits rolling on telecined background?
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 14:54   #42  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

@ SPiKA
Did you copy everything from the requirements archive in your "plugins" folder, including mrestore.avsi? Also, make sure you have only one copy of every function in it. If it doesn't help, I don't have the slightest idea of what could be causing it.

@ roozhou
Never seen that before. Could you give me a sample so I can run some tests? Mode=3 or 4 & omode=2 should do the trick, but I may not look good because the credits are progressive... About the speed, it kinda weird because I get 1.32fps with animeivtc(mode=2, aa=3,killcomb=2) with 30-40% CPU usage (so 60-80% for a Dual-core) and it goes down to 0.5fps with 50% CPU usage (100% for Dual-core) with killcomb=0 (disabled). Does anyone knows why??

@ neuron2
Uptading the dl links now, will be done in a short while.

Last edited by thetoof; 15th June 2008 at 16:51. Reason: added SPiKA + speed issue
thetoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 15:37   #43  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoof View Post
Updating the dl links now, will be done in a short while.
Thank you very much!
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 23:48   #44  |  Link
roozhou

30p+telecine sample

http://www.mediafire.com/?hxhlly8jm2y
Old 16th June 2008, 00:36   #45  |  Link
Akatsuker
Hack'n Roll

It's a very good job.
Akatsuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 06:23   #46  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

For now, the solution I can think of to deal with progressive credits @ 30fps on telecined background is:
- Blend deinterlacing of the background with minimal damage on the credits
Code:
merge(source.nnedi(field=1),source.nnedi(field=0))
I should add it to the function in the next days, but if someone has a better idea in the meantime, I'm eager to know!
Old 17th June 2008, 06:52   #47  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
For now, the solution I can think of to deal with progressive credits @ 30fps on telecined background is:
- Blend deinterlacing of the background with minimal damage on the credits
Code:
merge(source.nnedi(field=1),source.nnedi(field=0))
I should add it to the function in the next days, but if someone has a better idea in the meantime, I'm eager to know!
I don't think blending would be the best option.
If anything, normal nnedi would be better I think.
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 08:21   #48  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

The reason why I used merge was to avoid edge flickering in the credits:
source: 1 / 2 / 3
me: 1 / 2 / 3
nnedi(): 1 / 2 / 3
I don't like blending either... but heh
Something nice would be to take the edges from the source and overlay them on the nnedi(), but I haven't found a way to avoid putting back the combing by doing so.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:01   #49  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
The reason why I used merge was to avoid edge flickering in the credits:
source: 1 / 2 / 3
me: 1 / 2 / 3
nnedi(): 1 / 2 / 3
I don't like blending either... but heh
Something nice would be to take the edges from the source and overlay them on the nnedi(), but I haven't found a way to avoid putting back the combing by doing so.
If you're going to blend, try smart bobbing it then.
Code:
b=last
interp = b.nnedi(field=-2)
tdeint(mode=2,edeint=interp)
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 16:29   #50  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

I don't see any visual difference (if you do, please post screenshots) and here's the speed I get:
tdeint(2,edeint=nnedi(-2)) = 1,32 fps
merge(nnedi(1),nnedi(0)) = 4,39 fps
Old 17th June 2008, 16:47   #51  |  Link
roozhou

@thetoof
nnedi+merge gives a little blurred credits.
Is there a way to keep the 3 progressive frames and deinterlace(blend or bob) the 2 combed frames? IMO this should give the best result.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:57   #52  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

Yeah, I know they are blurred... that's why I said "minimal" damage (i.e. there is some)
- Deinterlace only the 2 combed frames = 3 good, 2 blurred... temporal instability
- Use the masktools to take the original edges = bring backs the combing
- merge = stable and no combing... you could try adding toon(x) after to resharpen the edges (I was thinking of adding it as an option in the function)

Edit: How silly of me! I just realized daa() does what I need (average the 2 nnedi + contra-sharpening)

Last edited by thetoof; 17th June 2008 at 17:09.
Old 18th June 2008, 07:52   #53  |  Link
egrimisu

Hi, i have a R2J anime dvd and the OP and ED is interlanced with 2 interlanced frame and 3 nor interlanced and the rest of the movie look's like progresive. What setting of animeivtc shall i use to have the best posibble quality? It is recomended to use antialliasing on new animes? The end of the clip seems like Interlaced on top of telecined hard telecined like in the example you showed us here http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6759/24t30ilqrw3.jpg.

Thanks in advance
egrimisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 08:09   #54  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

Can you post a sample of that progressive anime you're talking about? Look at high motion scenes to see if you have combing and, if you do (you most likely will), check if it's hard telecined or double hard telecined.
The settings to use will be mode=3 for HT and mode=4 for DHT

Anti-aliasing is recommended on any source that needs it... doesn't matter if it's new or not. You'll know by comparing the aa methods (automatic when you don't specify aa=x)
Old 18th June 2008, 12:50   #55  |  Link
Vesi

@ thetoof one thing I want to make sure is the sample which I put here
is this hard telecine? and what you mean by this when i show the script you said that the line is correct, and when i asked you, is it possible to use the same line for the hard telecine, you said animeIVTC(mode=1) will do the job for me, I am bit on how to make the script
Old 18th June 2008, 14:29   #56  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

-Yes, it is hard telecine
-the default of animeivtc(1) for the field matching is the line in post#11, so the line is correct and animeivtc(1) has the same.
-The advantage of animeivtc is that you can use additionnal combing removal and anti-aliasing in the same function call. Also, since hard telecine is prone to aliasing when ivtced, you most likely need aa (more noticeable in high motion scenes). It can, of course, all be done externally.
Old 18th June 2008, 14:31   #57  |  Link

Quote:
hard telecine is prone to aliasing when ivtced
Please explain and justify this claim theoretically.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 14:42   #58  |  Link
Vesi

Thanks thetoof, after trying alot and understan what some parmeters means a bit, I am bit confuse with
Code:
estart1=x,eend1=x,istart1=x,iend1=x
on how to use these?
Old 18th June 2008, 14:59   #59  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Please explain and justify this claim theoretically.
I don't know the "theory" behind it, but that's what I've seen in practice. For some reason it seems that the fields are not always perfectly matched, which results in residual combing near the edges or stair-stepping (solved by aa). I can't post any screenshots atm, but almost every hard telecined source I had to deal with needed aa after ivtc. Maybe I simply have bad luck

@ Vesi
Let's say you have a part of the episode that is telecined, some interlaced credits on top of telecined background and the rest of the episode (could be a preview... doesn't matter, as long as it's telecined).
This is : e1 + i1 + e2 (pureint=4)
So, you'll need to tell when each section of the clip starts and ends.
For e1, you use estart1/eend1, for i1, you use istart1/iend1, for e2, you use estart2/eend2, etc etc etc

You must get the frame numbers with check=x Read the "Truly interlaced (mode=3, 4 or 6)" section of the guide to know which one to use, or follow the error messages in the function

Last edited by thetoof; 18th June 2008 at 15:28. Reason: Answer to neuron2
Old 19th June 2008, 01:56   #60  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

v1.02

New version is up, but I didn't have the time to update the doc, so you'll have to copy-paste it from post#2 and read the following to know the mods
- No more "HD" setting (done automatically)
- Speed improvement (killcomb can't be disabled... it slowed things down anyways and it has minimal impact on the details)
- decimate=0 can be used with any mode as a preparation to mode=7 (run a lossless rendering pass of decimate=0 and then load the resulting file with mode=7) for compressibility improvement through VFR

I didn't have the time to add support for 30p on top of 24t, so you'll have to use daa().trim() for now.

I'll be out of town and won't have access to a computer for a few weeks starting June 20th, so if you need support, post in the thread and hope someone can help you.
I'll read all the posts when I come back, so no need to send me any PMs.