Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th June 2017, 00:42   #44061  |  Link
huhn

because the OSD is a powerful tool.

first of all deinterlancing is on but not used. why i don't know.
so i have to ask more things. what GPU and driver is used.

the next odd thing is the input file it is just NV12. is ffdshow or something like this min the filter list? a copy of the filter list may help.

a sample would help but i guess this is a totally normal DVB mpeg2 or h264 PAL stream right?

@AbbeKoenig
a blind guess from me try to disable g-sync if active.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 02:50   #44062  |  Link
AngelGraves13

If using LAV, set it to Aggressive so it can turn on for any interlaced video stream, instead of relying on flags.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 03:11   #44063  |  Link
AbbeKoenig

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
@AbbeKoenig
a blind guess from me try to disable g-sync if active.
Roger, but I thought as per https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...16#post1271416 , madVR doesn't use G-Sync?
AbbeKoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 03:32   #44064  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeKoenig View Post
Roger, but I thought as per https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...16#post1271416 , madVR doesn't use G-Sync?
No, G-Sync does not mix well with madVR. You need to turn it off, at least for your media player (add it to Program Settings and set Monitor Technology to Fixed Refresh, under Manage 3D Settings). G-Sync gets very confused and you get random drifting refresh rates with terrible judder as it drifts around.

Last edited by Asmodian; 11th June 2017 at 03:36.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 08:11   #44065  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
because the OSD is a powerful tool.

first of all deinterlancing is on but not used. why i don't know.
so i have to ask more things. what GPU and driver is used.

the next odd thing is the input file it is just NV12. is ffdshow or something like this min the filter list? a copy of the filter list may help.

a sample would help but i guess this is a totally normal DVB mpeg2 or h264 PAL stream right?
A GTS450. I have LAV A/V codecs set in ProgDVB. (I see no way to control the splitter, and I can't tell what is used).

I just realized that deinterlacing does work at startup, but only as long as I don't switch to another channel.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 10:29   #44066  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeKoenig View Post
The composition rate stays at 75.00-something Hz while the display rate fluctuates around 74.8-something Hz, but never hits 75 Hz. After a rather significant amount of time - mostly after about an hour into a movie because I don't notice this when playing 24-minute anime episodes - the display rate sharply drops to 40.00-something Hz, then slowly climbs back up to 66.3-something Hz. This all happens without any visible effects or any increase in the dropped frames/display glitches counters. Interestingly the clock deviation statistic does not seem to change along with the display rate change. I am not using ReClock.
Lowering display refresh rate is a fairly common power management feature of laptop GPUs. Try to disable power management options in your GPU drivers. If you have an Optimus system (Intel + nVidia combined), you might have more luck looking into the Intel GPU driver options.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 11:12   #44067  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Got HDMI connection errors sometimes during movies and getting black screen video, while audio still works. Got a friend having same problems. So I put the rx480 into my gaming pc.
I experience this problem with my TV when the data rate is too high for the cable. This is why AMD added a cable check in their latest drivers. A good cable solves the problem, or stay within the bandwidth of the cable. I had same issue with my Pioneer DVD player in the past. A new cable fixed the problem. The problem starts over again with 4K via older HDMI cables. Anyway, I have no issues with my XFX RX 480.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 11:56   #44068  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
make sure your GPU queues are at least at 8.
What queues would you recommend for gtx 1050ti 4gb?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 12:13   #44069  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
I experience this problem with my TV when the data rate is too high for the cable. This is why AMD added a cable check in their latest drivers. A good cable solves the problem, or stay within the bandwidth of the cable. I had same issue with my Pioneer DVD player in the past. A new cable fixed the problem. The problem starts over again with 4K via older HDMI cables. Anyway, I have no issues with my XFX RX 480.
doesn't make any sense the data rate never changes.
the cable check is uesless i even talk to AMD and ask them why this check doesn't do anything and they didn't even know what this thing does. depending on the driver used you will never get the image back until you unplug it. there is something big broken.

and most important why doesn't this happen with nvidia. is there signal better so it works on older cables constantly? i'm through 5 cables and a PS4 pro sending the same type of signal using an AMD GPU with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
A GTS450. I have LAV A/V codecs set in ProgDVB. (I see no way to control the splitter, and I can't tell what is used).

I just realized that deinterlacing does work at startup, but only as long as I don't switch to another channel.
sounds like a bug to me but not sure where.
you should be able to force deinterlancing with control+shift+alt+d
better than nothing i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
What queues would you recommend for gtx 1050ti 4gb?
defaults should be fine.

Last edited by huhn; 11th June 2017 at 12:16.
Old 11th June 2017, 12:30   #44070  |  Link
YxP

I'd like to revive the conversation about the noise NGU generates in GPU, at least in my 1060. This weird ticking/clicking noise? I'm not complaining or hoping for a software fix, but as a phenomenon it feels very curious. I thought it was just a power issue, but running NNEDI256 doesn't cause that sound. Did we ever find a reasonable explanation? At NGU high the sound is basically inaudible and I'll just bump up other madvr goodies to compensate But still, it's facinating.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 12:41   #44071  |  Link
cork_OS

I suspect NGU produce GPU load in somewhat unusual way. Like extremely throbbing load, high load of specific GPU blocks or something like that.
Old 11th June 2017, 13:01   #44072  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
sounds like a bug to me but not sure where.
you should be able to force deinterlancing with control+shift+alt+d
better than nothing i guess.
It does no more than print out the message of deinterlacing being turned on/off and change the text on the OSD. Deinterlacing still doesn't work, no matter how many times I flip it.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 13:08   #44073  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
It does no more than print out the message of deinterlacing being turned on/off and change the text on the OSD. Deinterlacing still doesn't work, no matter how many times I flip it.
if you can't force deinterlancing with the hotkey than this should be a bug in madVR.

i guess you need to ask a different progDVB user if it works for him. so nothing i can do anymore.
Old 11th June 2017, 13:33   #44074  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
doesn't make any sense the data rate never changes.
the cable check is uesless i even talk to AMD and ask them why this check doesn't do anything and they didn't even know what this thing does. depending on the driver used you will never get the image back until you unplug it. there is something big broken.
12 bits, 10 bits, 8 bits, 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, 23hz, 24hz, 50hz, 60hz, 1080p, 2160p all give different data rates

I use 1080p, 10 bits, 4:2:0, 60hz on a 12 meters cable between AMD RX 480 and Marantz receiver. This works fine. Higher bit rate causes glitches and screen goes black for seconds.

True, the check does not improve the signal. It is added to tell you if the cable is not ok. This seems not to work. HDMI uses power steering at peers end of the cable. HDMI is sensitive to the HDMI implementation of the devices. It may happen that there is a mismatch between the devices and cable. A solution is to use a HDMI repeater. (HDMI 2.1 is bases on repeaters for long distances)

Beside a good cable, check updates of the TV. My new samsung KS7000 got an update to improve HDMI connection with some UHD players.
Old 11th June 2017, 13:38   #44075  |  Link
Soulnight

Hi guys,

is there any boolean value to apply a specific "profile" to hdr content with "undefined hdr"?

I created a profile with the boolean value "HDR". Problem is, I have some videos which doe have HDR but somehow with hdr flag resulting in this "HDR: undefined" instead of HDR: 4000 nits for example.
And in this case the HDR boolean value does not recognize the profile as being HDR.

@madshi: would it be possible to extend the HDR boolean value to hdr undefined?

@all: could I maybe filter with with a bollean value like "REC2020"? Or maybe H265?

Thank you!
Soulnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 14:28   #44076  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
12 bits, 10 bits, 8 bits, 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, 23hz, 24hz, 50hz, 60hz, 1080p, 2160p all give different data rates
but they stay the same every time they don't change ever.
Quote:
I use 1080p, 10 bits, 4:2:0, 60hz on a 12 meters cable between AMD RX 480 and Marantz receiver. This works fine. Higher bit rate causes glitches and screen goes black for seconds.
you are send about 1/8 of the UHD bandwidth and you are already at the limited. even for 12 meter this is pretty bad and i was using 1.5-2 meter cables.
and BTW. 1080p 4:2:0 is not part of the HDMI spec.

2160p60 4:4:4 is fine with my nvidia cards.
Old 11th June 2017, 17:58   #44077  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglax View Post
Seems like madvr doesnt recognize the display name. I tried the name that madvr shows me under the "devices" tab in madvr settings. Is this a bug?
Yes. And madshi knows this
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 14:35   #44078  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
you are send about 1/8 of the UHD bandwidth and you are already at the limited. even for 12 meter this is pretty bad and i was using 1.5-2 meter cables.
and BTW. 1080p 4:2:0 is not part of the HDMI spec.

2160p60 4:4:4 is fine with my nvidia cards.
The limit is 2160p30 4:2:0 on 12 meter. 30 Hz ís a too low frequency for Windows on the TV. With 2 meter cable 2160p60 4:4:4 works fine. Perhaps I should try a HDMI repeater and see if I can get more out of the 12 meter cable.
Old 12th June 2017, 14:59   #44079  |  Link
jerryleungwh

Hi I have been trying to get HDR working on my tv but with no luck. I use the passthrough option with both nvidia and win10 api, and neither one managed to send hdr signal to my tv, I suppose it's because the metadata was not sent, what could be the reason? I am using a dell inspiron 15 7000 series 7559. Also, not sure if it's related but I never got the hdr switch on the display page after the win 10 anniversary update

Last edited by jerryleungwh; 12th June 2017 at 15:14.
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 17:36   #44080  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
The limit is 2160p30 4:2:0 on 12 meter. 30 Hz ís a too low frequency for Windows on the TV. With 2 meter cable 2160p60 4:4:4 works fine. Perhaps I should try a HDMI repeater and see if I can get more out of the 12 meter cable.
there is no such limited on a 12 meter cable.
a 12 meter high speed cable has to be able to do the same as a 2 meter high speed cable or it is not high speed.
no need to discuss this in the madVR thread.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling