Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 5th June 2014, 21:55   #1  |  Link
cretindesalpes
͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿

CRT emulation with scanline and phosphor effects

Download: crt_display v1.0

This function emulates a CRT display using aperture grille (Trinitron) or Cromaclear technologies. It is slow but gives interesting results. Could be nice to chain after a NTSC defect emulator like dotcrawlplus. It implements various features like:
  • Works at any (non-integer) upscaling factor
  • Various ways of adjusting the scanline thickness and beam shape
  • Low-pass filtering of the input signal
  • Specific gamma target
  • Beam glow
  • Optional colored phosphor effect and shadow mask
  • Colors shift caused by beam misalignment
  • Automatic contrast adjustment
  • Halation
  • Very large upscale is possible, showing the grid of phosphors.

Requirements: Dither 1.26.0 or above and its dependencies, Avisynth 2.6, RGB colorspace.

Detailed instructions in the .avsi file. Prototype:
Code:
Function crt_display (clip src, float sw, float sh, float "voff", float "ppp",
\	float "cutoff", float "scandist", float "sharpv", float "sharph",
\	float "blurh", float "glowgain", float "glowh", float "glowv",
\	float "glowsens", float "contrast", float "gamma", float "softclip",
\	float "mix", float "beamshape", bool "phosphor", bool "pgrid",
\	float "vcs", float "cromaclear", float "maskpp", float "gainb",
\	float "halgain", float "halrange", string "pixel_type")

Examples of real NTSC footage with aperture grille (left) and Cromaclear shadow mask (right):

Code:
ar = 10.0 / 11.0
crt_display (2*ar, 2, ppp=1*ar, blurh=2.0) # Left
crt_display (2.5*ar, 2.5, ppp=1.25*ar, maskpp=1.25, cromaclear=1.0, voff=0.25) # right
Make sure to check the pictures at their original size.
Note that the scanline density (480) makes difficult to reproduce the Cromaclear effect in a limited resolution and exhibits unwanted pattern effects. We would need at least three lines per scanline to give it a better look.

But it works very well for upscaling 240p content, especially old-school videogame captures:

Sources, point-resized:

I don’t know at which gamma these pictures should be viewed so I kept them untouched like if they were in standard sRGB.

Cromaclear display type:

Code:
ar = 8.0 / 7.0
crt_display (5*ar, 5, ppp=2.5*ar, blurh=1.0, maskpp=2.5, cromaclear=1, scandist=1.5, cutoff=0.9, glowgain=0.125, halgain=0.03)
Aperture grille display type:

Code:
crt_display (5*ar, 5, ppp=2.5*ar, blurh=0.75, scandist=1, cutoff=0.9, glowgain=0.125, halgain=0.03)
The scanline effect and variable-width beam could have been more pronounced just by adding sharpv=2, beamshape=2.

Simple scanlines without phosphor effect:

Code:
crt_display (5*ar, 5, ppp=2.5*ar, blurh=1.0, maskpp=2.5, phosphor=false, scandist=3, cutoff=0.8, glowgain=1.0, glowh=6, glowv=0, halgain=0.03, sharpv=2)
This is just insane but gives an idea about how it could look with extreme settings.

More screenshots here. Default settings are generally OK, but tweaking the parameters can improve the results a lot.

My 15 kHz CRT is gone for a long time and I only have half-decent monitor photos for reference, so any advice based on real CRTs is welcome to improve the emulation.

Last edited by cretindesalpes; 7th September 2018 at 17:04. Reason: Fixed the gallery url
cretindesalpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 23:41   #2  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

It's look very like my old Sony Triniton!!!

But Triniton have also a defect, there were some horizontal gray lines.

http://www.dansdata.com/sg400.htm

Last edited by Motenai Yoda; 5th June 2014 at 23:44.
Motenai Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 00:07   #3  |  Link
TheSkiller

Impressive!
Being a CRT expert and lover I definitely have to say this is the most authentic CRT simulation I've seen. Goes very nice especially with old games. I'll have some fun with this, even though I have plenty real CRTs right here.

Edit: One thing I noticed is the scanlines in your simulation are more pronounced with the Cromaclear setting compared to the Trinitron setting. Well, in my experience, and I have a Trinitron as well as a shadow mask CRT side by side here, the scanlines are generally more pronounced with Trinitrion masks and slightly less with shadow masks. This is also commonly known among retro gamer "CRT fetishists" on the internet. Trinitrons have slightly more pronounced scanlines compared to shadow masks.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 6th June 2014 at 00:18.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 00:24   #4  |  Link
cretindesalpes
͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿

TheSkiller:

Thanks. I agree with the Cromaclear/Trinitron mismatch. I just put different settings to show the versatility of the function, of course it’s possible to increase the scanline effect with the Trinitron.

Motenai Yoda:

Indeed, I haven’t included the “damping wire” effect. I’m not sure if it’s a wanted feature…
Old 6th June 2014, 03:52   #5  |  Link
Reel.Deel

This is nice, it reminds me of much simpler times.
Kudos cretindesalpes.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 04:29   #6  |  Link
Lyris

Outstanding attention to detail. That really puts the crummy "Old TV effect" in NLEs to shame.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 07:17   #7  |  Link
creaothceann

Here's another thread about CRT simulation.

Btw. I get this error (crt_display.avsi is in the plugins folder)... any idea what could be the cause? I have this version and the plugins.
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 08:33   #8  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaothceann View Post
I get this error (crt_display.avsi is in the plugins folder)... any idea what could be the cause? I have this version and the plugins.
You need an updated MaskTools fully compatible with 2.6a4 - see here.
Old 6th June 2014, 17:55   #9  |  Link
creaothceann

Mmmh...
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 21:14   #10  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaothceann View Post
U must delete old mt dlls