Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 24th July 2013, 11:05   #181  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegolas View Post
Im pretty sure it is the Chinese guys project, and Multicoreware have gotten involved and/or made some code contributions.
I think lainiwaku wanted to know about x265.org, later mentioning "https://code.google.com/p/x265/" in the context of "the chinese guys project". "https://code.google.com/p/x265/" should indeed be from "the chinese guy" but I have not seen anything that lets me believe the two projects/sites are related to each other in any way (except being H.265 projects and sharing the same name). Then again I had no idea the MulticoreWare guys were in contact with the x264 and videolan teams...

/edit:
I stand corrected (see below).

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 24th July 2013 at 11:28.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 11:08   #182  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There are a bunch of commits from the "chinese guy" in the MCW x265 repository, so either they are working together, or they recycled some of his changes while keeping attribution.
However, it looks like they started with the HM encoder as a base, not the gcode x265
Old 24th July 2013, 11:26   #183  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
There are a bunch of commits from the "chinese guy" in the MCW x265 repository, so either they are working together, or they recycled some of his changes while keeping attribution.
Ah, I overlooked those. Would be great if we end up with a collaboration that results in a good free encoder.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 12:48   #184  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
MultiCoreWare's project is being made with the (very tentative) blessing of the x264 team. Unlike the others, as far as I know, it will actually be based on x264's source and algorithms and be a publicly developed open source project (e.g. something I could/might commit to). In other words, it exists as an open source project because I said "yes" to it (the alternative was a closed-source project unrelated to x264).

The intent is to link up with Videolan and friends, and there's already been quite a lot of back-room discussions, but it largely wasn't mentioned in the announcement because MCW didn't want to prematurely decide anything (they can only speak for themselves, not anyone else).
So who's the project leader, or the one who decides what makes it to the repository and what not? Since there's a company and money involved...
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 13:28   #185  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

It's kind of unclear at the moment; from what I recall they intend to add a few external committers and use a more x264-esque development model now that the code is released, but really, I suppose we'll basically wait and see what happens. Hence the tentative endorsement!
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 13:48   #186  |  Link
dapperdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Both projects (the google code one and the Multicoreware one) are using a dual GPL with a commercial licence option, so they can't use his changes unless they've come to some arrangement with him.
dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 00:01   #187  |  Link
turbojet

It's nice to see the 3 parties trying to work together instead of fighting over the name 'x265'. It looks like Multicoreware has projects focused on opencl/cuda which brings some hope to achieving high quality, higher speed encoders in the future.
Old 25th July 2013, 01:58   #188  |  Link
x265_Project

Hello everyone! I'm sorry for showing up late to the discussion, but I just created this account on Friday, and there is a 5 day waiting period before you can post messages.

As sborho (our lead developer) posted in the News section, MulticoreWare is excited to lead this project.

It is quite challenging to balance the needs and demands of our commercial customers (who are funding the development work) with the needs and desires of the open source community, but we are hopeful that we can manage the project in a way where everyone can benefit.

We will do our best to listen and learn, and answer questions to the extent possible.

Tom Vaughan
MulticoreWare
Old 25th July 2013, 02:34   #189  |  Link

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your contributions!
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 03:35   #190  |  Link
BadFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by x265_Project View Post
It is quite challenging to balance the needs and demands of our commercial customers (who are funding the development work) with the needs and desires of the open source community, but we are hopeful that we can manage the project in a way where everyone can benefit.

We will do our best to listen and learn, and answer questions to the extent possible.
Here's hoping you will be able to provide this encoder under the same conditions as that of x264, fully open development and free to use according to an open source licence with additional licencing available for proprietary needs.

Thanks and good luck with the project, I will certainly enjoy following it.
BadFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 04:20   #191  |  Link
x265_Project

Thank you for the warm welcome!

We are committed to offering x265 under both commercial and GPL 2 licenses, following the successful business model of x264. We will manage the open source side of the project in a way that is as fair and open as is reasonably possible.

MulticoreWare and developers have contributed to and managed a number of open source projects, and we are confident that the rest of the open source development community will appreciate the way that we manage this project. We welcome talented developers to join the project, and we will support them fully.

Tom
MulticoreWare
Old 4th August 2013, 05:31   #192  |  Link
xooyoozoo

I got some time to test x265 on an old Windows Core 2 Duo using the ref pdf's settings (and bframes) and using a couple 1080p JCTVC test clips. There hasn't been any qualitative comments on x265, so I'll offer a few cursory ones.

Quality via MS-SSIM is roughly mid-teens percentage worse than anchor HM11 (parkscene, cactus). MS-SSIM quality versus VP9-cpu-0 on same clips (w/ 1 sec keyints) is strictly better. Subjective quality versus VP9-cpu-0 is distinctly better at QP32, mainly through temporal stability.

Speed on 2-thread x265 is comparable to single-threaded VP9-cpu-1, which is then comparable to multithreaded x264 placebo on this system.

All in all, I'm quite impressed by initial results.

Edit:

Ignoring the reference pdf's speed-focused switches will bring x265 almost right on top of anchor HM11 quality. On dual core, speed is now ~halfway between VP9-cpu-0 and cpu-1. Oh, and these were built with latest 8/2/13 commits.

Last edited by xooyoozoo; 4th August 2013 at 08:49.
xooyoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 20:09   #193  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

x265 is pre-alpha build. You can't use multithread encoding because quality will be very lower in this case. With best quality profil, x265 must have higher quality than HM11 ...

PS: Which decoder are you using? which muxer are you using? thank's

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9

Last edited by Sagittaire; 4th August 2013 at 20:14.
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 22:25   #194  |  Link
xooyoozoo

Well, I was purposefully vague because everything here is still quite transient. My fluffy definition of "almost right on top" quality-wise was low single-digit percents. According to the docs, that should more than account for WPP's slight quality cost (<1% for 1080p).

I've had a good experience with GPAC for muxing/playing, but for the above, I've been using reference HM decoder, which also seems to match x265's internal yuv dump.
xooyoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 17:20   #195  |  Link
gnaggnoyil
Nooooooooooooooob

I've just got MultiCoreWare's x265 source code and built a 8bit version successfully using i686-pc-mingw32 and x86_64-w64-mingw32 on win 7. However there is no "install" instuctions in the makefile generated by cmake. So what execuatables, libraries and headers should I copy in order to "install" it, I mean, to use the x265 library just like how x265.cpp use it? Or x265 just isn't planning to offer a library for other developers to use right now?

BTW: Why the file size of the x265 executable generated by mingw/gcc and MSVC differ so much? The former is about 4-5MB file size and the latter is only about 1.5MB file size...
Old 5th August 2013, 17:29   #196  |  Link
easyfab

I think MSVC is shared ( you need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Update 3 ) and MinGW is static.
Perhaps try to select STATIC_LINK_CRT in cmake to see the difference
easyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 18:08   #197  |  Link
gnaggnoyil
Nooooooooooooooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyfab View Post
I think MSVC is shared ( you need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Update 3 ) and MinGW is static.
Perhaps try to select STATIC_LINK_CRT in cmake to see the difference
I can make sure that crt is static linked using MSVC. STATIC_LINK_CRT is set true and the generated executable can run without Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

And the executable is just 1.5MB file size.

Last edited by gnaggnoyil; 5th August 2013 at 18:56. Reason: did what #203 said.
gnaggnoyil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 18:26   #198  |  Link

Isn't x265 GPL? If so you have to supply the source code as well, per GPL. Failure to comply will result in your posts being deleted. Also, no foreign languages in your signature. Thank you.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 18:51   #199  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

He just created a vanilla build with a special flag on the build command line, how does that require sources? o.O
Old 5th August 2013, 18:57   #200  |  Link
gnaggnoyil
Nooooooooooooooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Isn't x265 GPL? If so you have to supply the source code as well, per GPL. Failure to comply will result in your posts being deleted. Also, no foreign languages in your signature. Thank you.
sorry i didn't thought that it is a kind of "redistribution". i've uploaded a screenshot instead.

Last edited by gnaggnoyil; 5th August 2013 at 19:00.
gnaggnoyil is offline   Reply With Quote