Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd September 2013, 21:34   #20001  |  Link
soulkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post

where did you toggle this? in madvr (devices -> monitor -> properties) madvr control + shift + alternative + i or in lav filter.
Ιn ati CCC..pixel output format..

my question still remains..
assuming madvr is making the 16-235 to 0-255 luma expansion/conversion,should i be able to get the BTB and WTW information on my display?

according to this

http://sunmaiblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/calibrate-htpc-for-optimal-video-output/

""1. Luma resampling – Why WTW and BTB is important?

Luma resampling refers to expanding video level (16-235) to PC level (0-255), and as we can easily see that the procedure produces fractional numbers which even HDMI 1.4 can not carry. In order to send luma through HDMI, fractional numbers are rounded to integers.
Obviously there are several problems with such algorithm:

1) BTB and WTW is cut off after luma is expanded.
2) Banding is introduced (as the screenshot below shows). See the above example, the transition from 19-20 is mapped to 3-5. To reduce banding, we have to use a process called “dithering” which generates artificial pixels with luma 4 in between areas where luma is 3 and 5 in our example. Dithering is good in a way it reduces banding, but bad in a way it introduces artificial information which doesn’t exist in the original video.
3)Some graphics card later convert 0-255 back to 16-235
when using HDMI output which potentially causes even more information lost.

The luma information outside video range (0-16 referred to as BTB and 235-255 referred to as WTW) are important though we don’t normally see them in a movie. IMO they provide the following values:

It gives us the baseline when we calibration the brightness and contrast of our display.
It shows that the video luma is not cut off/expanded along the video pipeline.
Some movies have contents with luma value above 235, and as a result it’s recommended to reserve white up to 240 in order to see them.

Finally my suggestions are:

Avoid luma expansion/compression if possible. It’s perfect that our HTPC outputs 0-255 without expanding luma and our display cuts BTB and WTW.
If luma conversion cannot be avoided (most cases), make sure that dithering is enabled to reduce banding. We can use FFDshow with dithering enabled and HQ RGB conversion or MadVR to achieve this.""

Last edited by soulkeeper; 2nd September 2013 at 22:01.
soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 02:07   #20002  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture_g7 View Post
Sure, that's a very valid question! Having HD 3000 as a primary card of sorts means the 7870 is in idle mode for about 80% of the time I spend before my computer, surfing the net, managing files and writing emails. That results in much lower power consumption and heat dissipation inside my tower. Also, quicksync is readily available to lav decoder without resorting to tricks when HD 3000 is active for video playback.
So, what happens if you add your player to Virtu MVP as a dMode app? I have the opposite setup and madVR doesn't like iMode. I use the "fake display" trick to get LAV to use QuickSync, but I only use hardware decoding when the CPU is running Handbrake at full throttle. Normally I use software decoding, with my GTX 660 handling the video rendering.

Last edited by jkauff; 3rd September 2013 at 02:14.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 04:56   #20003  |  Link
dansrfe

Are there any plans to have an SVP like algorithm built into madVR? I was thinking about testing it but I'm wary that it will interfere with madVR's processing chain for the worse.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 07:19   #20004  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Are there any plans to have an SVP like algorithm built into madVR? I was thinking about testing it but I'm wary that it will interfere with madVR's processing chain for the worse.
I think madshi has said before that he has no plans to implement SVP-type framerate-doubling in madVR.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:06   #20005  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkeeper View Post
Ι
my question still remains..
assuming madvr is making the 16-235 to 0-255 luma expansion/conversion,should i be able to get the BTB and WTW information on my display?

according to this

http://sunmaiblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/calibrate-htpc-for-optimal-video-output/
Don't believe everything you find on the web.
Converting YUV to RGB already produces fractional numbers, expanding 16-235 to 0-255 at the same time doesn't make it any worse, in fact it could potentially even make it better since the destination range is slightly larger.

Output of 0-255 is the best setup with madVR, if your TV supports it.
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:10   #20006  |  Link
huhn

@soulkeeper

if your display only supports 16-235 you can set your amd to unlimited and put madvr to 16-235.

in this case the tv gets 0-255 but cut it and everything is fine

it will mostlikely change it to 0-255 it self after this...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:08   #20007  |  Link
bejita7

Quick question: I have 10-bit hi444pp video file:
Code:
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High 4:4:4 Predictive@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 8 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 37s 246ms
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Writing library                          : x264 core 125 r0+2877 3a754e7
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=esa / subme=11 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.00 / psy_rd=0.60:0.10 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=3 / threads=3 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=14.0000 / qcomp=0.80 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=81 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=3:1.00
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
When I play it in MPC-HC with madvr and LAV filters, madvr gives 8-bit output.

Is this correct? Shouldn't output be 10-bit?
bejita7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:27   #20008  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejita7 View Post
Is this correct? Shouldn't output be 10-bit?
madVR only supports 8-bit outputs. I'm not sure that anything supports 10-bit out other than professional applications running on workstation cards. (Quadro/FirePro)

AMD cards use 10-bit LUTs and may send a 10-bit signal to your display, but it's still coming from an 8-bit input.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:52   #20009  |  Link
bejita7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
madVR only supports 8-bit outputs.
But when I play 10-bit 4:2:0 video, output is P010 10-bit. Or Am I misunderstanding something here?
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:55   #20010  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

"RGB32, 8 bit, RGB" on your screenshot is not madVR output, it's madVR input. That means that decoder performs such conversion and it's not the best way.
Check that 10-bit 4:4:4 colorspaces are checked in LAV decoder settings.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:23   #20011  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Sounds like you are using xy-vsfilter, which doesn't support 4:4:4 10-bit.
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:43   #20012  |  Link
bejita7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Sounds like you are using xy-vsfilter, which doesn't support 4:4:4 10-bit.
Ah, so that's it. Indeed, when I play it without xy-vsfilter it's Y410 10-bit. Thanks for explanation.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:31   #20013  |  Link
vulture_g7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
So, what happens if you add your player to Virtu MVP as a dMode app? I have the opposite setup and madVR doesn't like iMode. I use the "fake display" trick to get LAV to use QuickSync, but I only use hardware decoding when the CPU is running Handbrake at full throttle. Normally I use software decoding, with my GTX 660 handling the video rendering.
Kmplayer and/or Virtu doesn't like it and I get a black screen during playback either in windowed or full screen mode. :/
Now that you mention it, I'll try with other players and report back what happens.

edit - I also get an error message from kmplayer :
madVR reports:
creating Direct3D device failed (80070057)
No similar problem with the VMR9 renderer for example.

Last edited by vulture_g7; 4th September 2013 at 17:10.
vulture_g7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 19:55   #20014  |  Link
Gagorian

I'm using MPC-HC and madVR to play movies on my 133" screen. I'm seeing some very faint border issues inside the picture frame, it seems like there's some kind of faint inner frame just inside the madVR window, it seems to start exactly two pixels from the bottom of the screen where there's a distinct line/border (haven't verified the pixel count at the other side borders). When viewed from a far it seems like there's slight bending/blurring of the picture frames inside the actual frames. This happens with different aspect ratios and I can't see how my projector would cause this.

Is it possible some madVR processing causes the issue, so that the pixels close to the borders of the image aren't processed the same way as the others? I got some images but I had trouble getting my camera focused so they're blurry, can try to post them or better images if needed.
Gagorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:22   #20015  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian View Post
I'm using MPC-HC and madVR to play movies on my 133" screen. I'm seeing some very faint border issues inside the picture frame, it seems like there's some kind of faint inner frame just inside the madVR window, it seems to start exactly two pixels from the bottom of the screen where there's a distinct line/border (haven't verified the pixel count at the other side borders). When viewed from a far it seems like there's slight bending/blurring of the picture frames inside the actual frames. This happens with different aspect ratios and I can't see how my projector would cause this.

Is it possible some madVR processing causes the issue, so that the pixels close to the borders of the image aren't processed the same way as the others? I got some images but I had trouble getting my camera focused so they're blurry, can try to post them or better images if needed.
It would be helpful if you could post close-up and distant images of the border to get a better idea of what it looks like.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:51   #20016  |  Link
psousa

guys i dont know what im doing wrong. i followed this guide: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80253.0

i have a panasonic G20 and i set the display mode on madvr to 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59 and 1080p60 (my tv support all) as soon i play movie tv change the refresh rate but i have huge drop frames on madvr ( ctrl + J ). my gpu is a gt630m and only 50% load.

if i remove all display modes from madvr, movies play without any frame drop. i really want to see how smooth a movie will be at 1080p24 but everytime i try it i have huge drop frames, so i still see movies at 1080p60.

do i need enable anything special on madvr to enable 1080p23/24 withou huge drop frames?

btw my panasonic have some 24p option that i can enable but that thing is horrible, nothing smooth so i really want see how good is madvr 1080p24.

thanks in advance

edit: forget, already fixed it

Last edited by psousa; 4th September 2013 at 23:54.
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 03:03   #20017  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture_g7 View Post
Kmplayer and/or Virtu doesn't like it and I get a black screen during playback either in windowed or full screen mode. :/
Now that you mention it, I'll try with other players and report back what happens.

edit - I also get an error message from kmplayer :
madVR reports:
creating Direct3D device failed (80070057)
No similar problem with the VMR9 renderer for example.
I think between us we've established that Virtu and madVR don't play nice together.
Old 5th September 2013, 21:41   #20018  |  Link
vulture_g7

yup! That's why I thought madvr might pull a SVP-style trick and use any card by itself....oh well!
vulture_g7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 21:49   #20019  |  Link
uQuad

Couldnt find the answer via google so heres the question. When smooth motion is activated i get the smoothed video, its better than anything i tried and I tried a few methods. Motion is constant, not like in all others skippy. But what botters me is how the picture is i dont know.. doubled? U can see it very clearly on the edges of objects, and im not talking about 24/25/30 frame doubling which is normal, i get that stuff. I see it even on true 60 fps video. Theres just that little afterimage, very clear ghosting. I tried to use different upscalers and all the other setting that have impact on picture in madvr but with no luck. Any ideas, anyone has seen what im talking about? I took some printscreens of my 60fps recorded blur test, those are when 'SM' is on and off of course.

Last edited by uQuad; 5th September 2013 at 21:51.
uQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 23:37   #20020  |  Link
Asmodian

I understand that is how smooth motion works.

Each frame is displayed for the same amount of time. If it needs to be displayed for 41.67 ms (24 fps) but using screen refreshes at 16.67 ms (60 fps) it displays the frame for two refreshes and blended into the next frame at 50%. This is "synced" to the refresh rate so, given that the refresh rate is never exactly 60 Hz and video is 24/1001 fps, the pattern of blends isn't actually 100%, 100%, 50% but more like 9.7%, 100%, 100%, 40.55% and continuously changing.

This generates lots of blended frames but given how humans see we only notice it as a slight blurring of the image, or a slight reduction in "sharpness", and much preferred to judder in my opinion.

Edit: Oh and the partial %'s are totally made up by me to illustrate the example. I have no idea what percentages madshi is actually using, it might be more complex than my simple 50% time = 50% blend.

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th September 2013 at 23:40.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling