Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 6th July 2007, 09:02   #201  |  Link
nincollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRaider View Post
Your ears may not be able to tell the difference but the company is specifically saying that it isn't 5.1. As I stated earlier, just be aware that you are not getting the direct AC3 5.1 that you are expecting. The purpose for this information is to raise a concern which I suspect is important - especially when spending 20+ hours encoding the video. You may want to go the mono channel then Stream Edit approach.

From TMPGEnc directly:

"Hi,

Thank you for the screen shots, however, as I have stated before our software does not have the license to create 5.1 ch audio. For WMV 6 ch even though it shows 6 channel, it is not true surround 5.1 ch. Our software does not have the included tools to specify which audio track goes with what channel so it only outputs to stereo/simulated surround. If you would like to have 5.1 for AVI then I recommend doing a separate AC3 encode with another software that allows you to set specifically 5.1 ch then multiplex this file to your AVI file. You may see the list show AC3 with 5.1 ch option but this will not encode to 5.1. Our software simply received this list from Dolby digital but we do not have the license to create the 5.1 ch.

XXXX
TMPG Support
tmpgenc-e@pegasys-inc.com"
ive tested this and made 1 using TMPEG and the other with windows media encoder. The Tmpeg one is larger but sounds exactly the same. i dissconnected my front and center speakers leaving only the rear surrounds on and i cant tell the difference. pretty good for simulated 5.1
nincollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 23:10   #202  |  Link
schizosmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nincollector View Post
^^^
your dump.ax is not registered

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...4&postcount=93

MLP is TRUE HD
yea, you were right. i had done it but i did it wrong. for x64 you must do "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dump.ax" for 32bit.

now i'm having problems with tranzcode

C:\Users\schizosmurf>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\tranzcode.exe "G:\MATRIX_RELOADED_HDDVD
\HVDVD_TS\output.wav"
Input filename: [output.wav] (Multichannel Wave)
Input attribs: [Ext wav fmt, 6 ch, 24 bit, 48.0 kHz]
Output attribs: [PCM wav fmt, (6) x 1 ch, 24 bit, 48.0 kHz]
Output file(s): output-FL.wav
output-FR.wav
output-C.wav
output-LFE.wav
output-SL.wav
output-SR.wav
Processing: Completed. [in 1 sec]

It's saving the output files in a completely diff location than everything else (C:\Users\schizosmurf), not that big a deal i could handle that. But the files are useless, all 6 .wav files are 44 bytes, and the audio.avi is 0 bytes.

any ideas?
schizosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 01:38   #203  |  Link
nincollector

^^^
put all the files into the same directory (i.e. folder with transcode in it) so you should only have to use

tranzcode.exe output.wav

when i specified too many different folders it didnt work for me either but when i put it all in 1 folder it was fine
nincollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 02:55   #204  |  Link
schizosmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nincollector View Post
^^^
put all the files into the same directory (i.e. folder with transcode in it) so you should only have to use

tranzcode.exe output.wav

when i specified too many different folders it didnt work for me either but when i put it all in 1 folder it was fine
i'll try that, i had it elsewhere bc of
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierdb View Post
3) Place Tranzcode in your C:\Windows\System32 folder and place eac3to and sox in the same folder as the audio and video source files you wish to transcode.
EDIT:
tried with and without full path for output.wav with tranzcode in the folder with all the source files
C:\Users\schizosmurf>G:\MATRIX_RELOADED_HDDVD\HVDVD_TS\tranzcode.exe output.wav
Error: Unable to open file: output.wav

C:\Users\schizosmurf>G:\MATRIX_RELOADED_HDDVD\HVDVD_TS\tranzcode.exe G:\MATRIX_R
ELOADED_HDDVD\HVDVD_TS\output.wav
Input filename: [output.wav] (Multichannel Wave)
Input attribs: [Ext wav fmt, 6 ch, 24 bit, 48.0 kHz]
Output attribs: [PCM wav fmt, (6) x 1 ch, 24 bit, 48.0 kHz]
Output file(s): output-FL.wav
output-FR.wav
output-C.wav
output-LFE.wav
output-SL.wav
output-SR.wav
Processing: Completed. [in 1 sec]

So still having trouble getting tranzcode to split up my output.wav

Last edited by schizosmurf; 8th July 2007 at 21:10. Reason: Update
Old 16th July 2007, 00:59   #205  |  Link
schizosmurf

i tried usin tranzcode on my friends xp box, and got the same results as above. so obviously i've missed a step or something.

anyone have an idea, or another tool i can use?
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:57   #206  |  Link
blueseame

There are many software you can use, try to *spam removed*, etc
blueseame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 01:32   #207  |  Link
sxt173

I am having a problem where the movies encode fine, but the forward/back buttons in WMP don't work or when I try to move the slider, it just goes to beginning of the movie.

Any ideas?
sxt173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 07:50   #208  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxt173 View Post
I am having a problem where the movies encode fine, but the forward/back buttons in WMP don't work or when I try to move the slider, it just goes to beginning of the movie.
Any ideas?
Do DShow-based players like Media Player Classic allow you to seek? When you open the .wmv in ASF Viewer 9 (free download from MS), does it show an index object present?
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2007, 05:36   #209  |  Link
acribb

Ok, I had this graph working previously. I'm not sure what is going on now, but I can't connect the Sonic HD Demuxer video output to the Sonic Cinemaster VideoDecoder 4.2 video input.

I get the following error message:
These filters cannot agree on a connection. Verify type and compatiblity of input pin and output pin. No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection.

FEATURE_1_MERGED.VC-1.stream.0.mpv -> Sonic HD Demuxer -> Sonic Cinemaster VideoDecoder 4.2

Any ideas of what could have changed?
acribb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 21:22   #210  |  Link
brendon7800

OK first off I would like to thank all the people in this thread that are figuring out how to convert .EVO files to HD .WMV files. You're all doing a great job. I've read through all of this thread and I think I have an idea of how it works. But when I tried it the first time I stopped it after 36 hours of encoding and had an incomplete .wmv that was 25 gigs that came from a 14 gig .EVO (the reason I stopped it was because I realized that I didn't have any audio settings in my .bat file) But when I started it back up I got some weird input error.

What I'm asking for is a COMPLETE step by step guide. I mean a really thorough guide, like something you'd see in a book ".EVOs to .WMVs for Dummies" I'm totally new to graphedit, and avisynth, and encoding in general. Any help or links to guides would be greatly appreciated. I know there are two step by step guides in this forum but I need something in laymans terms that's more specific and has tons of screenshots so that I know I'm doing the same thing that other people are doing that have it working.

ps- sorry for being such a newbie
brendon7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2007, 04:43   #211  |  Link
juzzy999

HD-DVD (evo files) to wmv hd

I agree totally. However i've been at this now for 3 weeks...
I've learnt heaps, and have found some awesome programs..

BUT........

Audio is a big issue?

This is my procedure................................

1. Evodemux to rebuild the video
2. Evodemux to demux the audio
3. Rename the audio from .mpa to .ddp
4. Use megui to encode evo to mkv (i dont put any audio in this program, otherwise i get errors)
5. Play mkv/avi (whatever output i used) on wmp or vlc player (works fantastically)
6. Mkvmerge mkv and ddp ???????? errors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what i believe that works but cannot get it working..

eac3to.exe ???.ddp ????.ac3

but i get errors, (i need hd-dvd/bluray nero plugin)

i use graphedit for video and audio
they both work, (this is the only time i actually get audio working)

but i am confused how to convert this audio graphedit to an actual ac3/mp3 or whatever...

I have a grf audio file, works great how do i convert this to a mp3 or ac3????????

Last edited by juzzy999; 15th September 2007 at 04:47.
juzzy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 20:48   #212  |  Link
Fishrider

Tutorial for HD-DVD to WMV

I developed this tutorial for those in this thread asking for one. I put it here in this thread because I was not sure where else to place it. Instead of creating multiple posts and linking many pics I created a Word document that you may download from here:

HD-DVD to WMV Tutorial Download

It is self explanatory. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Fishrider; 16th September 2007 at 21:00.
Fishrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2007, 04:52   #213  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrider View Post
I developed this tutorial for those in this thread asking for one. I put it here in this thread because I was not sure where else to place it.
It is self explanatory. Let me know what you think.
Quote:
A note on the Performance Slider: I have a problem with this slider. No one seems to know exactly what it does. We know that when we set it for better performance that we get faster encodings and that when we set it for better quality we can get encoding times that are out of this world (like 48 hours or more). The problem is that I cannot find out what the actual implementation of this slider is. The question is, what quality are we sacrificing for performance? Nobody seems to know what this ratio is or how it operates. After doing hours of research, I seriously thought about spending a few hundred dollars to talk to a Microsoft developer to get this answer.
Why spend a few hundred dollars if you could just ask me instead?

So one major question for you: why are you re-encoding VC-1 video to VC-1 video at equivalent or greater bitrates? What does that accomplish?
Old 20th September 2007, 17:58   #214  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

Helllo everyone and great job on this might I add. I have tried following the EVO to WMV with 5.1 guide and cannot get the Graphedit working properly as when I try to connect the boxes they cannot agree on a connection. Im not 100% sure I have installed everything properly and registered everything properly either so I am in need of some serious assistance if you please. Is there any chance a more thorough guide can be written. I am not used to command prompts and registering this and that but this is something I really want to do.

And for those who are successful enough to get the WMV HD and not already aware of how to get it on the X-Box 360 other then streaming it then might I suggest MacDrive7 which can format your external harddrive into the HFS+ format which is completely accepted by the 360 and has no limitation on file size (Goodbye 4GB file limit) ... and once again Great Job everyone :P

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on a Dell Inspiron 9400

Last edited by Sephiroth0000; 20th September 2007 at 18:01.
Sephiroth0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 04:06   #215  |  Link
Fishrider

Reply Slider and bitrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambelli View Post
Why spend a few hundred dollars if you could just ask me instead?

So one major question for you: why are you re-encoding VC-1 video to VC-1 video at equivalent or greater bitrates? What does that accomplish?
So I'm asking? Please, what does the goofy slider do? TIA. Sorry, I am relatively new to this forum and did not catch that your are a Windows Media expert.

Also, I thought that I was encoding smaller bitrates than the original just by choosing VBRs of less than 100%. How do you re-encode VC-1 to VC-1 at higher bitrates? Are you referring to the aforementioned performance slider? Does that have something to do with the the bitrate ratio from original to encode? Did I even understand the question? Maybe you are wondering why I would want close to original bitrates. My assumption is that compression equals some loss in quality so the closer you are to the original bitrates the closer you are to the quality of the original video. Be kind, I said I was a layman. I am still learning.

Last edited by Fishrider; 21st September 2007 at 05:10.
Old 21st September 2007, 05:00   #216  |  Link
Fishrider

Registering Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth0000 View Post
Helllo everyone and great job on this might I add. I have tried following the EVO to WMV with 5.1 guide and cannot get the Graphedit working properly as when I try to connect the boxes they cannot agree on a connection. Im not 100% sure I have installed everything properly and registered everything properly either so I am in need of some serious assistance if you please. Is there any chance a more thorough guide can be written. I am not used to command prompts and registering this and that but this is something I really want to do.
Sorry, I did not go into detail on how to install and register your filters properly(time constraints). You need to find the corresponding .ax files for each of the filters I have listed and make sure they are properly registered. There are a few filters that come with Graph edit with which I had a specific problem. The .bat file that registers the filters use the /s switch after Regsvr32, which means "run silently do not display window messages". The install runs quicker that way, but if you get an error you would not know. So I edited the .bat and took off the /s switch and found out they were not registering properly because of Vista's UAC (User Account Control). Here is a way you can re-register all of your filters and check to see if they are registering properly or you can just pick those filters you need. Do a search on your computer for all .ax files. Copy these files to a single directory. Open Note Pad. For each .ax file write a line that looks like this: (I used the dump filter as an example)

regsvr32 dump.ax

You will end up with a long list of filters. Save the Note Pad file as "Filters.bat" in the same directory as your filters. Run your .bat file by double clicking on it. A window will pop up for each filter to tell you that it succeeded in registering or you will get an error message. If you get an error message you must turn off Vista's UAC and then start over. UAC control can be found in:

Control Panel--> User Accounts and Family Safety --> User Accounts --> Turn User Accounts Control On or Off

I believe it is a good idea to turn this back on after you are done installing the filters.

Disclaimer: Doing these sorts of operations to your computer may cause issues. Do them at your own risk.

Last edited by Fishrider; 21st September 2007 at 05:07.
Old 21st September 2007, 09:15   #217  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

Well I uninstalled and unregsistered everything last night and started from scratch and reregistered everything and then put Sox and Eac3to with the file I want to transcode, demuxed and then when I try to take the file to Graphedit it does not agree on a connection when I attempt to connect them. Are you saying that UAC could be causing this? I will try what you say when I get back but I did do the command lines as System Administrator....

Thankyou for the wisdom Do not mean to be a pain but can you just reconfirm the filters I am supposed to have installed and where to please...
Old 21st September 2007, 09:56   #218  |  Link
DarkNite
Almost Silent Member

Wouldn't running the bat file as administrator be easier than disabling uac? Running as administrator only requires right clicking and using the context menu while disabling uac involves invoking msconfig, tools tab, launch disable uac, and then a restart.

You could always set cmd.exe to run as administrator in its properties > compatibility tab as well. Either way is less of a risk then disabling uac altoghether.
Old 21st September 2007, 09:59   #219  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrider View Post
So I'm asking? Please, what does the goofy slider do? TIA. Sorry, I am relatively new to this forum and did not catch that your are a Windows Media expert.
The performance slider controls the encoder complexity. The encoder complexity regulates the accuracy of the motion estimation algorithms. Lower complexity modes are faster because they make less accurate motion predictions and therefore result in bigger compressed frames. It's a tradeoff between encoding time and quality. The complexity range for WMV9 codec is 0-5.

Quote:
Also, I thought that I was encoding smaller bitrates than the original just by choosing VBRs of less than 100%. How do you re-encode VC-1 to VC-1 at higher bitrates? Are you referring to the aforementioned performance slider? Does that have something to do with the the bitrate ratio from original to encode? Did I even understand the question? Maybe you are wondering why I would want close to original bitrates. My assumption is that compression equals some loss in quality so the closer you are to the original bitrates the closer you are to the quality of the original video. Be kind, I said I was a layman. I am still learning.
Quality VBR mode encodes at a fixed quantizer level. It compresses every frame using the same level of compression regardless of its complexity, so you have no control over the final file size.

The reason I asked why you were re-encoding VC-1 to VC-1 using the same bitrate is: if that's acceptable, why not just use the original VC-1 bitstream? Why not just mux the original VC-1 video into a new container without any recompression?
Old 21st September 2007, 21:15   #220  |  Link
Sephiroth0000

Fishrider thankyou for the input and I have done as you suggested and you are correct with them filters not registering or working. So I created my own bat. extension for the filters and got them installed and registered so thankyou for that . But with Graphedit I load my demuxed EVO file and connect it to Sonic HD Demuxer but when I try to go from that to the Sonic Cinemaster Video Decoder 4.2 it cannot agree on a connection. Can anyone help!? I installed the DTSAC3source thing, dump.ax and all the filters from Graphedit and oblivously I have Sonic Cinemaster 4.2 installed aswell. Where am I going wrong?