Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd January 2016, 15:13   #35581  |  Link
huhn

i guess i did the math wrong but you have thinked about it so it is fine.

and i can't test it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 16:07   #35582  |  Link
evil-doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Are you using Windows 10 build 11102? Also, can you please recheck with v0.89.19 to make sure it's really a new issue with v0.90.x? That's *very* important for me to know.
My Windows 10 says version 1511 (OS Build 10586.63)

I ran 0.89.19 for a long time with no issues, and the second I installed the first 0.90 build, without touching a single setting, I was getting the crashes.
evil-doer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 16:59   #35583  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ok, for all those of you who have new problems with v0.90.x which you didn't have in v0.89.19, here's a collection of test builds which are all intermediate steps between v0.89.19 and v0.90.x:

http://madshi.net/zzz - builds.rar

Some notes for optimal testing:

1) These are all 32bit builds, so please use a 32bit media player. You can switch builds simply by replacing the "madVR.ax" file. No need to uninstall/install madVR.
2) Please don't use any of the new features of v0.90.x. Make sure you have them all deactivated (e.g. all the 3D options/checkboxes, chroma "Reconstruction" etc).
3) Please make sure you have 3D deactivated in the OS settings (only applies if you have a 3D capable display).
4) Build 1 is the most likely to still show the problem. Build 10 is the least likely to still show the problem.
5) In order to save time, I'd suggest to start with build 5. If the problem occurs with build 5, it will also occur with builds 1-4. In that case try build 7 or 8. If the problem does not occur with build 5, then it will also not occur with builds 6-10. In that case try build 2 or 3. Etc... This way you should be able to find the exact build which introduced the problem pretty quickly.

Thanks!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 17:01   #35584  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i guess i did the math wrong but you have thinked about it so it is fine.

and i can't test it.
Well, if you think about it, the image needs to be downscaled vertically by 2x first. After that a 0.25 pixel shift is the same as a 0.5 pixel shift before downscaling. So we're probably both right, depending on whether we talk about the pixel shift before or after downscaling. Anyway...
Old 23rd January 2016, 17:15   #35585  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL
JRiver MC21 is a bit of a different, albeit weird, story. When I play my 3D mkv's in MC21, they're 2D. Until, that is, I move the mouse and bring up the OSD for the player. Then it pops everything into 3D properly until the OSD hides, then back to 2D. WTF? LOL I won't have time to mess with it again til this weekend but I thought that was rather peculiar.
Quote:
Will look into that.
Thanks. If that gets fixed I'm golden on 3D. We gave a bit more information on this situation in the JRiver thread as you know. Basically if the disable for 2D, enable for 3D, and restore settings options on the 3D options page are set, we get this messed up behavior with the MC21 UI and it switching in and out of 3D. With those options unset, and only the option to enable 3D turned on, then it plays 3D just fine. I can't replicate this in MPC-HC, so, it's some weird issue that seems specific to MC21. If you need any testing, let me know.
Old 23rd January 2016, 17:16   #35586  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I wish there was something that just aced it all.
Imho that's still NNEDI3.
It's not perfect, but: it has the least ringing problems, it is a good compromise between sharp and soft and never fails in an obvious way (at least with chroma).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 17:42   #35587  |  Link
Uoppi

Any ideas why present queue shows 2 as the max value, regardless of what is set in madVR's settings? Previously everything has worked fine. Sometimes the OSD shows the correct present queue number at first but quickly changes to 2 and is then stuck there.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 17:58   #35588  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Any ideas why present queue shows 2 as the max value, regardless of what is set in madVR's settings? Previously everything has worked fine. Sometimes the OSD shows the correct present queue number at first but quickly changes to 2 and is then stuck there.
That's most probably the low latency mode, which the media player activates when drawing any kind of OSD that needs quick reaction times (madVR's Ctrl+J OSD does *not* activate it, though). It also gets activated when the madVR exclusive mode seekbar is visible.
Old 23rd January 2016, 18:04   #35589  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi madshi

here are the test pictures.
(MPC-HC with LAV 0.67.30 all 64bit)

I have reset the settings, install madvr0.89.19 and deactivate the exclusive mode -> video is stuttering.
Then I set all to Bilinear (disabled deinterlace funtion) -> video looks better but also stuttering.
Activate the Smooth motion -> 99,9% works (stuttering barely perceptible)

Then reset the settings again, installed madvr0.90.03, only set the devices (Pinoeer VSX-930-s -> Sony50W805C) and it looks very good.
Then I do the same procedure, no exclusive mode, Bilinear, then smooth motion activate. With smooth motion 99,9% works.

It seems to me that it works with the exclusive mode but without the video is stuttering.
I have yet not tested madvr0.88.21 with exclusive mode but I thinks it works.

mmh, but i don't like the exclusive mode(sorry).

Last edited by hubblec4; 23rd January 2016 at 18:07.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 18:36   #35590  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
I have reset the settings, install madvr0.89.19 and deactivate the exclusive mode -> video is stuttering.
Then I set all to Bilinear (disabled deinterlace funtion) -> video looks better but also stuttering.
Activate the Smooth motion -> 99,9% works (stuttering barely perceptible)

Then reset the settings again, installed madvr0.90.03, only set the devices (Pinoeer VSX-930-s -> Sony50W805C) and it looks very good.
Then I do the same procedure, no exclusive mode, Bilinear, then smooth motion activate. With smooth motion 99,9% works.

It seems to me that it works with the exclusive mode but without the video is stuttering.
I have yet not tested madvr0.88.21 with exclusive mode but I thinks it works.

mmh, but i don't like the exclusive mode(sorry).
Hmmmm... I'm not sure about the conclusion of your test? It seems all of them can be smooth or stuttering, depending on settings? I'm not clear about which version is best now, because you seem to have tested different things with different versions.

Hmmmmm... Which OS is that? If you don't like exclusive mode, then try activating Aero, that might improve the situation. Or try Overlay in the madVR settings, if you have an NVidia or Intel GPU.
Old 23rd January 2016, 18:59   #35591  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I think motion blur is more of a luma thing, and less chroma. I didn't mean to suggest to turn luma SuperRes off, just chroma SuperRes. Which shouldn't affect motion blur much, I think.
Both help IME, together they work on the same EE as far as I can see and it sure looks like a winning combo to my eyes but eventually the GIGO principle very much applies with RS and both SR's engaged all together

Quote:
Technically possible: Yes. Coming any time soon: No, sorry. You're the only one who's asked for that yet, and it would complicate the rendering pipeline.
Figured thanks, no sweat as it's hard to deny that NNEDI3 luma-only and NEDI are fully usable. I believe some ppl don't like sxbr due to its ringing, I can see some truth to that.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 19:54   #35592  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Hmmmm... I'm not sure about the conclusion of your test? It seems all of them can be smooth or stuttering, depending on settings? I'm not clear about which version is best now, because you seem to have tested different things with different versions.

Hmmmmm... Which OS is that? If you don't like exclusive mode, then try activating Aero, that might improve the situation. Or try Overlay in the madVR settings, if you have an NVidia or Intel GPU.
The test was ever the same. Disabled exclusive mode, Bilinear and activate smooth motion. have tested madvr 0.88.29/0.89.19 / 0.90.03
Only for 0.90.03 i try it with the exclusive mode.

Win7 64 bit, no themes activated (classic windows).

Aero is not available, i could try the Overlay settings in madvr.

Thanks madshi.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:08   #35593  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
The test was ever the same. Disabled exclusive mode, Bilinear and activate smooth motion. have tested madvr 0.88.29/0.89.19 / 0.90.03
Only for 0.90.03 i try it with the exclusive mode.
But you tried 0.90.3 without exclusive mode, too? So which of the 3 versions works well for you and which doesn't?

Quote:
Win7 64 bit, no themes activated (classic windows).

Aero is not available, i could try the Overlay settings in madvr.
Overlay might work well for you. If not, you could try a theme which allows Aero to work.
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:48   #35594  |  Link
evil-doer

Quote:
Ok, for all those of you who have new problems with v0.90.x which you didn't have in v0.89.19, here's a collection of test builds which are all intermediate steps between v0.89.19 and v0.90.x:

http://madshi.net/zzz - builds.rar

Some notes for optimal testing:

1) These are all 32bit builds, so please use a 32bit media player. You can switch builds simply by replacing the "madVR.ax" file. No need to uninstall/install madVR.
2) Please don't use any of the new features of v0.90.x. Make sure you have them all deactivated (e.g. all the 3D options/checkboxes, chroma "Reconstruction" etc).
3) Please make sure you have 3D deactivated in the OS settings (only applies if you have a 3D capable display).
4) Build 1 is the most likely to still show the problem. Build 10 is the least likely to still show the problem.
5) In order to save time, I'd suggest to start with build 5. If the problem occurs with build 5, it will also occur with builds 1-4. In that case try build 7 or 8. If the problem does not occur with build 5, then it will also not occur with builds 6-10. In that case try build 2 or 3. Etc... This way you should be able to find the exact build which introduced the problem pretty quickly.

Thanks!
Followed instructions to the T.

5: works
6: works
7: Totally red screen in the video player
8/9/10: Long buffering wait, dialog box reading: ResampleX[1,0,0], Resample shaders logic error(3), black screen in player with audio playing for a bit, then the player crashes.
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:55   #35595  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
How do Blu-Ray players solve this? Are there actual 3D subtitles stored on a 3D Blu-Ray disc? Or do they simple let the user choose at which depth to show subtitles?
There are some 3D subtitles on 3D blurays and you can even select on which plane they are supposed to be set to (based on the info in tsmuxer when remixing to a 3D ISO).
If you import the main mlps of a 3D bluray into tsmuxer and select ISO output, you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
nevcairiel is aware of the issue and I'm sure he'll implement it properly. madVR itself relies on that the decoder sends the frames in the right order atm. So unless we change the interface between madVR and LAV, it's currently LAV's job to switch left/right eye view, if the content requires it.
Got it, thanks.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 21:31   #35596  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Some basic info about 3D BluRay subtitles can be found on the official website:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/Do...ions-18780.pdf

Looks complicated.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 23:00   #35597  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-doer View Post
Followed instructions to the T.

5: works
6: works
7: Totally red screen in the video player
8/9/10: Long buffering wait, dialog box reading: ResampleX[1,0,0], Resample shaders logic error(3), black screen in player with audio playing for a bit, then the player crashes.
Ooops, sorry. Here's an updated set of builds:

http://madshi.net/zzz - builds2.rar

Only builds 8-10 changed. Can't fix build 7. So please test builds 8-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Some basic info about 3D BluRay subtitles can be found on the official website:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/Do...ions-18780.pdf

Looks complicated.
It seems there's two different ways 3D subtitles can be stored on 3D Blu-Ray:

1) Just one image, which is drawn on both left and right views, but there's an SEI block in the MVC video stream which tells us at which depth the subtitle is supposed to be drawn.

2) Or true 3D subtitles, with different images for left and right eyes.

I've no idea how many Blu-Rays are using approach 1) vs 2). No current subtitle renderer supports 2), so I don't think that's easy to solve right now. The splitter would have to output the data somehow and the subtitle renderer would have to render it. You could ask nevcairiel to look into splitting, but I doubt he'd do it any time soon.

Solution 1) shouldn't be that hard to implement. The splitter would have to parse the SEI blocks, though, and forward them to me. That's something nevcairiel and I could look into at some point, because it seems to be fairly simple. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. We don't even have SSIF splitting yet!
Old 24th January 2016, 00:06   #35598  |  Link
evil-doer

Quote:
Ooops, sorry. Here's an updated set of builds:

http://madshi.net/zzz - builds2.rar

Only builds 8-10 changed. Can't fix build 7. So please test builds 8-10.
No problems with any of them.
Old 24th January 2016, 10:45   #35599  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-doer View Post
No problems with any of them.
Oh. I just noticed we tested in the wrong order. As I wrote in my original post:

> If the problem does not occur with build 5, then it will
> also not occur with builds 6-10. In that case try build 2 or 3.

You said you had no problem with build 5, so your next test should have been build 2 or 3, and not build 6+. Sorry, didn't notice that before...
Old 24th January 2016, 10:57   #35600  |  Link
IceB

Hello everybody.
Since I have updated madvr I have a strange issue with the full screen exclusive dx11 mode.
While I start the movie (1080p bdremux), I can see the present and gpu/cpu queue gets full and the picture is smooth with the render time about 20ms. After couple of minutes I can see a minor picture glitch and the queue gets to down to 0. The render time gets a bit higher after that bur overall I still get no drop frames with 0 queue. I tried to lower the present queue, gpu/cpu queue but unfortunately the queue drop still exists. Switching to the dx11 windowed full screen fills up the queue immidiately. But switching back to FSE drops the queue immidiately back to 0.
I use the latest ATI/AMD drivers with 2x7970 crossfire. AFAIK madvr is not operating with CF the the second gpu is irrelevant. Chroma up scaling nnedi 64 with super res x3 is active. No smooth motion. Refresh rate changes to 23.974... (video source is 23.976). Activating nnedi 128 drops the queue to 0 even faster - maybe a minute or two.
I had no such issue with the previous madvr 8x version I had earlier. Couldn't find similar issue reports searching the threqd.Am I missing something ? Any workaround besides rolling back to the previous madvr version ?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
IceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling