Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th June 2008, 23:46   #201  |  Link
x264lover

Hi

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt but... will we able to encode into DivX h.264 with your tools or is it just a h264 decoder? And will DivX support other audio codecs such FLAC, AAC?

I know it's off-topic but I gotta ask it.

See you.
x264lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 02:11   #202  |  Link
Sophocles

x264lover

One of my hopes as well, although we can already do that with other *.264 flavors. My hope is that it will also be followed by a DiVx certified player that will permit burning an HD backup to a standard dual layered disc with 720P/1080P.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:51   #203  |  Link
x264lover

Yeah!

It would be great.
I love x264, I mean watching videos and all with this codec but I don't know how to use it properly.
x264lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 21:24   #204  |  Link
Sophocles

Quote:
I love x264, I mean watching videos and all with this codec but I don't know how to use it properly.

You will get the hang of it with a little time and practice. If you want to start encoding your own movies there are some decent easier to use applications that will simplify things a bit such as FairUse Wizard.

Last edited by Sophocles; 16th June 2008 at 03:47.
Sophocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 18:57   #205  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophocles View Post
x264lover

One of my hopes as well, although we can already do that with other *.264 flavors. My hope is that it will also be followed by a DiVx certified player that will permit burning an HD backup to a standard dual layered disc with 720P/1080P.
I'll be starting another thread on that in a little while
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 10:21   #206  |  Link
the_corona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitAl56K View Post
Can you give us any news on the decoder? Is a Beta 3 coming soon? Can we expect further speed improvement or is work focused on bug-fixes/compatibility from now on?

the_corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 20:12   #207  |  Link
sparky
DivX Team

Beta 3 is coming. Current target is early next week. You'll see some further speed improvements. We're mostly targeting AMD's and older systems, but you'll see some gains on a P4 as well. We're also fixing bugs as we become aware of them. Beta 3 will take care of DVBViewer issues and fix a number of reported crashes.

Last edited by sparky; 17th June 2008 at 23:14.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 08:45   #208  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

well I just got xp64 running on my laptop
xp32 coming soon
looking forward to doing some tests now that all my machines are running
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 06:39   #209  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
How long is a little while
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:34   #210  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwod View Post
How long is a little while
I prefer to avoid giving dates because we don't want to set your expectations too early - the next beta will be released when we're happy with it. It's possible that you might see something this week
Old 25th June 2008, 18:25   #211  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

@ DigitAl56K wondering if you guys there at Divx are going to be releasing Divx 7 with A CLI Codec... It would be Very beneficial if you did for avs apps...
Old 25th June 2008, 20:11   #212  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Yes, there will be a CLI encoder available and it will accept avs input.
Old 25th June 2008, 21:47   #213  |  Link
Sophocles

Quote:
I'm interested, when can we know more?
Old 25th June 2008, 22:05   #214  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

Thank you very very much
Old 25th June 2008, 22:27   #215  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Sophocles,

It's currently in its early stages, and again I don't like committing to dates before I'm reasonably confident in them, but a "baseline" will first be released through Project Rémoulade at DivX Labs and we'll then be looking for feedback on the kind of features and adaptations you would most like to see in order to fulfill your needs and to make it suitable for becoming an option in some of the GUI front-ends that are developed by Doom9 members.
Old 26th June 2008, 00:59   #216  |  Link
Sophocles

Good enough, thanks for the reply. There seems a lot to look forward too.
Old 26th June 2008, 02:11   #217  |  Link
Ranguvar

Quote:
Keep the good news coming

Can I ask a question, though? As Dark Shikari said before, why doesn't DivX simply make an x264 GUI? I'm sure there's a reason, but I'm not business-minded enough to see it
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 02:17   #218  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
Keep the good news coming

Can I ask a question, though? As Dark Shikari said before, why doesn't DivX simply make an x264 GUI? I'm sure there's a reason, but I'm not business-minded enough to see it
Probably because they spent a lot of money buying Mainconcept and now have to justify that purchase somehow </cynic>
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 03:17   #219  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Well, there are many reasons. Here are a few off the top of my head: x264 is GPL'd, so what happens when we want to license an encoder library to a commercial partner so that their software can output DivX files? What do we do if we want to add some algorithm enhancement to an encoder without necessarily divulging the source? How can we provide an encoder to CE manufacturers and others that absolutely must comply to all of the profile specifications that we develop when such strict compliance is not necessarily the goal of x264? If we want to distribute an encoder to end users we can also be held accountable for all of the intellectual property it contains, so we have to be able to be accountable for and thus to control the source - something that isn't possible with x264.

I could go on, but these are just a few reasons why we might need to have our own encoder even though we recognize that x264 itself is also very good encoder.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Probably because they spent a lot of money buying Mainconcept and now have to justify that purchase somehow </cynic>
If only the accounting team were busy justifying expenditures of that size! Then it would be easier for me to slip some new hardware into our budget!

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 26th June 2008 at 03:27.
Old 26th June 2008, 03:30   #220  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Well, there are many reasons. Here are a few off the top of my head: x264 is GPL'd, so what happens when we want to license an encoder library to a commercial partner so that their software can output DivX files?
You do what my company does--separate binary. It adds nearly no overhead and is trivial--and better yet it lets you use other GPL'd libraries in the process too.
Quote:
What do we do if we want to add some algorithm enhancement to an encoder without necessarily divulging the source?
You stop being so secretive, especially considering rule 1 of video encoding: any sufficiently useful algorithm can and will be reverse-engineered, made better, and implemented in a competitor's product.
Quote:
How can we provide an encoder to CE manufacturers and others that absolutely must comply to all of the profile specifications that we develop when such strict compliance is not necessarily the goal of x264?
x264 is strictly compliant. Even if it wasn't, you could fix that, and such a thing would be far easier than developing a (worse) competitor.
Quote:
If we want to distribute an encoder to end users we can also be held accountable for all of the intellectual property it contains, so we have to be able to be accountable for and thus to control the source - something that isn't possible with x264.
If you think making your own encoder makes you immune to MPEG-LA fees, you are sorely mistaken; the MPEG-LA does not make any distinction between GPL'd and non-GPL'd encoders when dealing with license fees.

I do understand the real reason though: NIH syndrome. Its very hard to convince a company to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

I welcome yet another competitor though; the more encoders there are in the marketplace, the better x264 looks by comparison.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 26th June 2008 at 03:40.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coreavc, divx, h264 decoder, remoulade