Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > DV

Old 20th July 2006, 15:19   #1  |  Link
durutti

MiniDv

I read most parts of the guides that i could understand.
I have a SONY MiniDV cam and using the programs from the company it saves the videos in my computer as AVI files with huge size.
Is this the DV format you are mentioning? Is there a way to make it smaller but still playable in standalone DVD players that cannot play MPEG?.
In all my efforts that I have still used a standalone DVD that can play divx the result was quite unacceptable
durutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 06:21   #2  |  Link
bb

durutti,

1. Yes, this is the DV format this subforum is all about.
2. DV cannot be played back on standalone DVD players; you have to convert it. The standard way is to convert the DV AVI to DVD compliant MPEG-2, and then author a video DVD. Please refer to the guides.
3. DivX capable players can play back DivX AVI files on CD-R or DVD-R media. You can achieve very good quality with the DivX format, but you have to do it right (enough bitrate, correct interlacing, filtering, etc.).

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 17:05   #3  |  Link
durutti

so probably the sony program already encodes the files to something else? because the files captured from the camera ARE playable on standalone DVDs (even though huge!)
durutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 21:45   #4  |  Link
bb

Referring to your "huge" files which are playable on your standalone: what's the file extension? How large are they (in MB or GB), and what is the total playtime?

You may open the file in GSpot or MediaInfo and post the results here, else we have to guess...

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote