Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > DV
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2006, 06:01   #1  |  Link
kakomu

Audio problems

I'm unable to extract the audio from my captured AVI files. I installed the panasonic DV codec. I used DVIO and WinDV to make 10 second clips of a movie I just shot. One of Type-1 and one of type-2.

In MPC:
Type-1 will play in MPC with audio just fine.
Type-2 will play in MPC but without audio.

In VDUB mod:
Type-1 gives me an error about audio. Doesn't show up in streams
Type-2 has an audio track, but when I try to demux it, it's really small and has no audio

As an AVS file in VDUB Mod
Type-1 will have an audio file and will be able to extract, but the audio file that's extracted is slown down by 1/2 speed or so.
Type-2 will do the same as the AVI.

I'm rather stumped. I'm not sure how to go about extracting the audio since none of the above methods worked correctly.

I looked in the file info for the Type-2 AVI and the audio is about .5 seconds long and listed as 1024kbps. It looks as though neither DVIO or WinDV are actually capturing the audio.

Last edited by kakomu; 14th July 2006 at 06:23.
kakomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 06:46   #2  |  Link
kakomu

Update: I took a type-1 AVI that played fine in MPC and used a program to convert the file into a Type-2 AVI. The resulting avi had the same .5 seconds of audio.
Old 14th July 2006, 07:30   #3  |  Link
kakomu

update: I used Ulead's DV converter software. It produces a working Type-2 avi file, but the audio has a horrible ringing sound.
Canopus's DV converter worked. However, that doesn't explain why so many other methods didn't work...

Does anyone know why I may not have been able to create a working Type-2 avi file with WinDV and DVIO?

Last edited by kakomu; 14th July 2006 at 07:33.
Old 14th July 2006, 11:06   #4  |  Link
bb

Did you use 32 kHz Audio?

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 17:20   #5  |  Link
kakomu

No, I believe I used 48khz/16-bit audio.

I just set the camera to 12-bit and extracting a type-2 avi worked this time. Is 16-bit/48khz out of spec or do I need special software to pull such audio from the tape?

Last edited by kakomu; 14th July 2006 at 17:32.
Old 14th July 2006, 19:37   #6  |  Link
UofC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakomu
I just set the camera to 12-bit and extracting a type-2 avi worked this time. Is 16-bit/48khz out of spec or do I need special software to pull such audio from the tape?
You have a tape of it? Why not do a re-recording or have you tried this already?

How are you capturing it and with what hardware?
UofC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 20:13   #7  |  Link
kakomu

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC
You have a tape of it? Why not do a re-recording or have you tried this already?

How are you capturing it and with what hardware?
When I said I set it to 12-bit, I meant that I set the camera to record at 12-bit and recorded a clip which captured correctly.

No, I can't re-record, since the tape was of me doing a bit of work (taking apart an LCD monitor).

I'm working from a Canon optura 50, through IEEE 1394 and using DVIO and WinDV as my capture programs.

So, as a recap: recordings I made with 16-bit audio don't capture correctly with type-2, but recordings I made with 12-bit audio do capture correctly.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:01   #8  |  Link
kakomu

Again, why would the capture programs capture 12-bit audio fine, but not 16-bit audio?
Old 20th July 2006, 06:26   #9  |  Link
bb

Usually it's the other way round: sometimes there are problems with 32 kHz audio, but not with 48 kHz.

bb
bb is offline   Reply With Quote