Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 24th August 2018, 20:31   #1  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

What causes this discontinuity? A bug in bicubicresize?

Code:
version
animate(0,100,"bicubicresize",\
16,16,1.0/3.0,1.0/3.0,32.0,32.0,16,16,\
16,16,1.0/3.0,1.0/3.0,30.0,30.0,16,16)
This script slowly shifts a static clip down and right by 2 pixels over 101 frames.

At frame 50 (and 0 and 100), there's a clear "jump" when the shift becomes an exact integer number of pixels. Is this a rouding error of some kind?

Here is a difference overlay of each frame and its immediate future neighbour:

I submit that this is incorrect behaviour - according to the Wiki I've used the default values for b and c, and although the demonstration is an animation, I expect it would also cause artefacts in a static resize, but they'd be harder to see because it would just look like slightly greater sharpness on certain pixels. My understanding of bicubic is that it is everywhere continuous, so I don't think this should happen.

Bilinearresize and spline16resize do not exhibit this problem, and nor does my own pixel remapper which uses my own implementation of bicubic resampling.

Avisynth+ version is r2728.

Edit: New information: YV12 does not seem to be affected. YUY2 is affected to a lesser degree. RGB24/RGB32 are both affected as shown above, as are YV24 and Y8.

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 24th August 2018 at 20:59.
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 14:05   #2  |  Link
pinterf

Thanks for the observation, spent quite a bit of time on it.

So when specific conditions are met, resize can fallback to a single Crop:
https://github.com/pinterf/AviSynthP...mple.cpp#L2082
and
https://github.com/pinterf/AviSynthP...mple.cpp#L2112

Now the question is that this is good or not. Seems that it was a planned behaviour.
pinterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 14:39   #3  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

It should be fine to fall back to a crop, because an integral (sub)pixel shift would mean all coefficients will be zero, except for one of them which will be 1, making it the same as a crop.

But the other frames shouldn't be this blurry.

I assume spline16resize similarly reduces to a crop when possible, but it doesn't exhibit this problem.
Old 27th August 2018, 15:41   #4  |  Link
pinterf

For 32bit float format I can see the same difference by looking at the Histogram so it's not a rounding issue. The exact peaks of histogram are smeared a bit for non-integer shifts giving the image a blurry look.
Old 27th August 2018, 15:47   #5  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

I took the code from MitchellNetravaliFilter (which is what bicubicresize uses) to make a graph and it peaks, when x=0, at only 0.888888. When x=-1 or x=1, it has a value of 0.055555.

That makes it a blurrer. I'm pretty sure a bicubic filter shouldn't do this - it should peak at 1 when x=0, and be at 0 at all other integers.

If nothing else, there is the problem with falling back to cropping, and the fact that different colourspaces give different results (presumably because some don't fall back to cropping).

Edit: I guess a bicubic filter can blur if it wants, but what I mean is that I don't think this (blurring) should be the expected behaviour of a resizer. If nothing else, it should tend towards the original image smoothly as it tends towards integer offsets. I think it would be better for it to default to b=0.0 c=0.5 which I think gives a Catmull Rom filter, which is what GIMP uses for bicubic.

I think I'll use spline16 instead from now on!

Quote:
The exact peaks of histogram are smeared a bit for non-integer shifts giving the image a blurry look.
The pixels are smeared for integer shifts as well; it just gets hidden because it falls back on crop.

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 27th August 2018 at 16:19.
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 18:19   #6  |  Link
pinterf

Yes, disabled the crop, at least it became consistently blurry. I don't think that this edge case speed gain is worth vs. consistent behaviour.
Old 27th August 2018, 20:33   #7  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Probably the least disruptive solution, if not my preferred one