Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 31st October 2008, 14:57   #1  |  Link
Dracaena

Problem with menu subpicture

Greetings all,
First I'd just like to thank everyone who has contributed to the running of this site over the years, it's been a great help to me as a long time lurker.

I'm having a problem with a particular DVD menu, the real problem is that I don't know what the cause is. Here's the basic scenario (the actual menu I'm making is more elaborate than this, but this illustrates the problem accurately):

I have a menu with two buttons, with each button covering exactly half of the screen. When inactive, the subpicture is set to be to be black, obscuring the background beneath it. When a button is selected, the subpicture is made transparent, revealing the button. All of this works fine, except for the fact that no matter what I do, either the buttons, the subpicture, or both are not aligned correctly over the video when I play it back. There is always a thin line at the top of the frame that is not obscured by the subpicture, and a line at the left that isn't covered by the buttons. Example:

Notice the white band at the top that should be grayed out by the subpicture, and the gray band at the left that should be made white by the button.

The screenshot was taken from MPC, I have also tried WMP, VLC, Nero Showtime, WinDVD, and a couple of others with the same results.
The DVD was authored with Maestro, I have also tried Sony DVD Architect with the same result. I haven't been able to test it on a standalone player because I don't have a TV without overscan.

I have no idea at this point whether this is a result of the authoring, or if it is happening during the playback phase. Are any of you able to create a subpic that obscures the entire frame? Is this a problem with the decoders/renderers being used by my PC? Any insights (or even speculation) would be great, I'm completely stumped on this one.

I've attached a .zip with the dvd used to get the screenshot above (48KB, contains DVD files, Maestro project and JPGs)
http://www.users.on.net/~drallim/menu_sub.zip

Cheers
-Drac
Attached Files
File Type: zip menu_sub.zip (47.5 KB, 30 views)
Dracaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 16:01   #2  |  Link
mpucoder

In SD-DVD subpictures can not start at the topmost line but start at line 2.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 08:11   #3  |  Link
Dracaena

haha, that's would explain why I couldn't do it then

Thanks mate.
Dracaena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menu subpicture alignment