Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 25th July 2013, 11:43   #3361  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
MeGUI won't allow you to uncheck the open gop box under frame-type when certain target playback devices are selected e.g Blu-ray, AVCHD, or when enable blu-ray compatibility is selected. Is it possible to fix this?
Along those lines...

The way I understand it, when --bluray-compat is used, the default for --weightp is 1, so why does checking the Blu-ray compatibility option add --weightp 2 to the command line?
Selecting the target device as Blu-ray doesn't.
I assume it's wrong, as I ran a test encode and according to MediaInfo the setting for --weightp was 1 even with the Blu-ray compatibility option checked, so MeGUI adding --weightp 2 to the command line when it's checked doesn't seem to have any effect.

When the Blu-ray compatibility option is checked, the open GOP setting can be selected/deselected, but it appears do to nothing, and while --open-gop is supported by the Blu-ray spec, and it's probably a good idea to use it when encoding for Blu-ray, it's not compulsory so there's probably no reason why MeGUI should force it's use.

I'm still trying to get my head around these settings, but does using --bluray-compat in the command line also effectively add --aud and/or --nal-hrd as well? When selecting Blu-ray as the target device, the "Use Access Delimiters" option is checked and can't be unchecked, but should the Blu-ray compatibility option do the same thing on it's own? Currently, while it allows "use access delimiters" to be checked and unchecked, doing so appears to make no difference to the command line.
If the Blu-ray compatibility option is checked (no target device selected), MeGUI adds the following warning to the log file:
"NAL HRD parameters require VBV parameters"
Manually adding VBV parameters gets rid of the warning but changing the HRD Info setting to "None" does not.

I assume --bluray-compat doesn't enforce all the necessary settings for a fully Blu-ray compliant encode (although I've not found a definitive list as to which settings are effected), hence selecting Blu-ray as the target device in MeGUI adds extra parameters to the command line, but I think checking the Blu-ray compatibility option in MeGUI's encoder setup should do nothing more than add --bluray-compat to the command line. If checking it is going to also change other options relating to Blu-ray compatibility then it probably should change all the required options, or it should change none and leave that up to selecting Blu-ray as the target device.

Last edited by hello_hello; 25th July 2013 at 12:00.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 20:59   #3362  |  Link
Zathor

MeGUI uses these settings:
http://www.x264bluray.com
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 10:11   #3363  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
MeGUI uses these settings:
http://www.x264bluray.com
That site is down at the moment, but are you referring to the settings it uses when selecting Blu-ray/AVCHD as the target playback device?

If so, what it adds to the command line is understandable, but the main point of my previous post was that when no target playback device is selected and the Blu-ray Compatibility option is checked in the x264 configuration, it does more than simply add --bluray-compat to the command line, and maybe a couple of things is shouldn't. Is that be design?

With no target playback device selected and the Blu-ray Compatibility option checked:
--weightp 2 is added to the command line ( I think --bluray-compat restricts weightp to 1, so --weightp 2 has no effect).
--open-gop is added to the command line even though open gop is not checked in the x264 configuration and it can't be removed, yet I think open gop is supported but not compulsory for Blu-ray (the same applies to selecting Bluray as the target device).

I've done a little more research and understand a more about what --bluray-compat does in terms of setting/limiting other x264 parameters (assuming the list here is accurate), but the way MeGUI does things doesn't seem to be consistent across all x264 settings.

For example if --bluray-compat restricts --bframes to 3, why does MeGUI let me change --bframes to more than 3 when the Blu-ray compatibility option is checked, yet it won't let me change the min gop size parameter because that's already set by --bluray-compat?
When Blu-ray is selected as the target playback device the behaviour changes compared to using the Blu-ray compatibility option on it's own..... to the point where MeGUI adds --bframes 3 to the command line when a slower x264 speed preset is used, yet doing so is probably redundant.

In my opinion there should be command line and GUI consistency between selecting Blu-ray as the target playback device and checking the Blu-ray Compatibility option on it's own.

Maybe it'd be an idea for the encoder configuration to make it more obvious when one x264 setting is effected by another. For example when Blu-ray is selected as the target playback device, the "Use Access Unit Delimiters" checkbox could change colour to show why it's automatically checked and can't be unchecked. Of course if checking the Blu-ray compatibility option on it's own does the same thing, the same should apply to keep it consistent. Currently it can be checked/unchecked, but doing so has no effect.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:57   #3364  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Here's a list with things --bluray-compat does (lines 741-755):
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi?p...1280a1;hb=HEAD
These should include all things you can set through other parameters, but note that there are some things --bluray-compat does that can not be enabled by any combination of the other settings as an alternative.

Since --bluray-compat does not check all things demanded by the spec, it can indeed make sense for a GUI to do more checks itself. Your suggestions do make sense as well, though I'd consider most of them cosmetic.

Use the following URL in case x264bluray.com is down:
https://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 26th July 2013 at 13:08.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 12:39   #3365  |  Link
Richard1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I assume --bluray-compat doesn't enforce all the necessary settings for a fully Blu-ray compliant encode (although I've not found a definitive list as to which settings are effected), hence selecting Blu-ray as the target device in MeGUI adds extra parameters to the command line, but I think checking the Blu-ray compatibility option in MeGUI's encoder setup should do nothing more than add --bluray-compat to the command line. If checking it is going to also change other options relating to Blu-ray compatibility then it probably should change all the required options, or it should change none and leave that up to selecting Blu-ray as the target device.
Yes. I agree. (I'd like a definitive list of the settings that are affected by --bluray-compat too.)
Old 26th July 2013, 12:55   #3366  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I am certain that this option has been explained verbosely before; the pity is that you won't find it if you don't know specific unique sentences used there, there are too many posts with many of the simple options mentioned which this "hack" forces or limits. The MeWiki on x264 Settings is a little lazy.
__

P.S.:

From the source view in encoder/encoder.c

Code:
 739     if( h->param.b_bluray_compat )
 740     {
 741         h->param.i_bframe_pyramid = X264_MIN( X264_B_PYRAMID_STRICT, h->param.i_bframe_pyramid );
 742         h->param.i_bframe = X264_MIN( h->param.i_bframe, 3 );
 743         h->param.b_aud = 1;
 744         h->param.i_nal_hrd = X264_MAX( h->param.i_nal_hrd, X264_NAL_HRD_VBR );
 745         h->param.i_slice_max_size = 0;
 746         h->param.i_slice_max_mbs = 0;
 747         h->param.b_intra_refresh = 0;
 748         h->param.i_frame_reference = X264_MIN( h->param.i_frame_reference, 6 );
 749         h->param.i_dpb_size = X264_MIN( h->param.i_dpb_size, 6 );
 750         /* Don't use I-frames, because Blu-ray treats them the same as IDR. */
 751         h->param.i_keyint_min = 1;
 752         /* Due to the proliferation of broken players that don't handle dupes properly. */
 753         h->param.analyse.i_weighted_pred = X264_MIN( h->param.analyse.i_weighted_pred, X264_WEIGHTP_SIMPLE );
 754         if( h->param.b_fake_interlaced )
 755             h->param.b_pic_struct = 1;
 756     }

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 26th July 2013 at 13:05.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 19:15   #3367  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
AFAIK, when "Blu-ray" is selected as the "Target Playback Device", then the output should be restricted to either RAWAVC or M2TS, see:
However, MeGUI 2370 violates that rule and allows for other output formats, such as MP4 and MKV for example.
I'm not saying that's wrong, but I'd be interested to learn how outputting to MKV or MP4 stops the encoder from correctly applying settings, and/or which settings they are.

Quote:
MeGUI 2370 also allows to output AAC or MP3 etc. when "Blu-ray" is selected as the "Target Playback Device".
Yeah, but the option is under the x264 video encoder configuration so I think it's reasonable to assume it only applies to x264 encoding.
Old 26th July 2013, 23:47   #3368  |  Link
JREkiwi

I've come across a problem in the recent dev builds 2357+

Using One Click Mode with a profile with the setting "Keep Input Resolution (disable Crop & Resize)"

The generated Avisynth script does not include global MeGUI_darx or global MeGUI_dary

This results in both the h.264 SAR being wrong and the MKV container AR being set to 3:2.

The container AR is easy enough to change with MMG, but the only thing I've found to fix the h.264 AR is using a build of FFMPEG, but that introduces artifacts.

The problem is not present in the stable core (2356)

John
JREkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 04:50   #3369  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
I've come across a problem in the recent dev builds 2357+

Using One Click Mode with a profile with the setting "Keep Input Resolution (disable Crop & Resize)"

The generated Avisynth script does not include global MeGUI_darx or global MeGUI_dary
Same here. I also tried not using the keep input resolution option, but checking the anamorphic option instead, and the output still didn't have the correct aspect ratio. It seems the aspect ratio is being detected correctly when opening the video but it's not being used for encoding.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:20   #3370  |  Link
mini-moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post

This results in both the h.264 SAR being wrong and the MKV container AR being set to 3:2.
Isn't the generated avs just an import avs that imports the one with all the resizing/cropping etc ?.

Mine looks like this:

Import("path\x.avs")
#deinterlace
#crop
#resize
#denoise

This doesn't change anything in the original full avs.
I tried it now, original avs has TFM(order=-1).TDecimate().Spline36Resize(720,404)
resulted 264/mkv is:

Width : 720 pixels
Height : 404 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Last edited by mini-moose; 27th July 2013 at 10:25.
mini-moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 13:52   #3371  |  Link
Zathor

Thanks for the reports. I found the problem and have a partial fix but no tiome currently to finish and test it. It may take hours or weeks till I have that time.
EDIT: Test build http://megui.org/test/MeGUI.zip

Last edited by Zathor; 27th July 2013 at 14:13.
Old 27th July 2013, 23:39   #3372  |  Link
JREkiwi

Quote:
Thanks for the reports. I found the problem and have a partial fix but no tiome currently to finish and test it. It may take hours or weeks till I have that time.
EDIT: Test build http://megui.org/test/MeGUI.zip
Thanks. That build fixes the missing global MeGUI_darx and global MeGUI_dary from the generated AVIsynth script, but it doesn't set a sar value in the x264 commandline
Old 28th July 2013, 13:42   #3373  |  Link
Zathor

Next try: http://megui.org/test/MeGUI.zip
Old 29th July 2013, 08:14   #3374  |  Link
JREkiwi

Quote:
Next try: http://megui.org/test/MeGUI.zip
That's got it. Thanks

John
Old 30th July 2013, 14:17   #3375  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Any chance?
Maybe

Code:
2375 [OneClick] fixed anamorphic encodings (regression of 2357) 
2373 [MP4 Muxer] default GPAC string will be erased
2372 [MP4 Muxer] added TTXT Subtitles Files support. Feature request #437
Old 30th July 2013, 14:47   #3376  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

That again.

You were too quick. The update server is not yet in sync completely.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 14:57   #3377  |  Link
detmek

Yep. Works fine for me. Stays with 2375 version.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 16:13   #3378  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

iirc, we cannot do that using mkvmerge, the tool used to create MKV. So, it's a no-go...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 18:08   #3379  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Why is it, that MeGUI @ development update server doesn't update to the latest versions of some components ASAP?

I mean, x264 for example is updated pretty quickly usually.

But, MP4Box (GPAC), Opus, FFmpeg for example are outdated at the moment.

Why is that?
Because the features used in MeGUI don't required to update these tools as soon as possible...

Yes, Avisynth 2.6.0 should be used instead.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 18:55   #3380  |  Link
detmek

Quote:

it on your own without getting that feature request .

Besides, i had another idea:

When encoding with HandBrake for example, then the encoded files show the following in MediaInfo:

Or, when you mux something with Yamb, then the muxed files show the following in MediaInfo:

Files encoded/muxed with MeGUI however do not show the "Writing application" string.

At least not with MP4.

With MKV it shows the following:

How about erasing those MKV strings (+ all similar strings) as well and replace it with a single and simple string like:

for all encodes / for all muxes / for all containers?

Would be a bit more consistent, wouldn't it?
MeGUI is not writing application. It only creates command line for actual applications (x264, MKVMerge, MP4box, ect). Those files are written by mkvmerge.exe so:
Quote:
Writing application: mkvmerge v6.3.0 ('You can't stop me!') built on Jun 28 2013 20:09:41
Writing library: libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote