Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 20th April 2016, 09:46   #961  |  Link
Triple-M

There's an Update of makeMKV, now the View (left eye or right eye) is stored in the MKV made by makeMKV. 3D-Planes i haven't tested yet.

Old 20th April 2016, 09:59   #962  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, thanks.

If the view order is correctly stored in the "stereoscopy" field of the MKV header, BD3D2MK3D should recognise it already. That means that the correct view should be selected automatically in the first tab, and the red warning should not be visible any more.

Similarly, the 3D-planes assignments should be automatic if they have been implemented with "3d-plane" tags (as suggested by tebasuna51), but that needs to be confirmed because they may have defined another tag or used a totally different method. I will have a look this evening...
Old 20th April 2016, 10:02   #963  |  Link
Triple-M

The correct view ist selected automatically, i have tested it today.

Old 20th April 2016, 10:09   #964  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Perfect!
Old 20th April 2016, 19:46   #965  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

MakeMKV v1.9.10 is (almost) OK to use with BD3D2MK3D

I confirm that the stereoscopy is correctly saved in the MKV header and the 3D-Plane number in the "3d-plane" tag of the subtitle stream. Therefore, MakeMKV v1.9.10 generates now 3D-MVC MKV files with the full information necessary to convert them to SBS or T&B with BD3D2MK3D. Good point.

I confirm also that BD3D2MK3D recognises that information correctly. You can use BD3D2MK3D v0.88 without problem with the MKV files created by MakeMKV v1.9.10 or greater.

However, the terrible EAC3/DD+ bug is still not fixed. Therefore, you still need to include the 5.1 core of the EAC3 tracks in MakeMKV if you want to include it in the final MKV, and it is totally impossible to use the full EAC3 track. Pity. I hope that that bug will be fixed soon.

Of course, if you open a 3D-MVC MKV file created with MakeMKV v1.9.9 or any previous version, the information will still be missing, and you will have to enter it manually. For that reason, it will always be possible to modify the views order and the 3D-Plane numbers in the BD3D2MK3D GUI. But you should do it only if you see the red warnings.

Last edited by r0lZ; 20th April 2016 at 19:51.
Old 21st April 2016, 10:31   #966  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I confirm that the stereoscopy is correctly saved in the MKV header...
Bug detected by nevcairiel :
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewto...t=13892#p49039

I don't have rigth eye BD's to test.
Old 21st April 2016, 11:29   #967  |  Link
frank
Banned

There are 2 types of DD+ or eac3.
The old eac3 version used on HD-DVD has no core!
DD+ was mandatory on HD-DVD. Such audio streams have to be completely re-encoded, they are not backward compatible.
Probably the software is a bit outdated, because BD mostly use DTS.

With eac3to I never could demux a core from eac3 (to ac3). But I could create a multichannel wav for reencoding to ac3.
You can't see from what source (HD-DVD, BD) the mkv comes. (OK, there are no 3D movies on HD-DVD...)
DD+ from BD or TV is backward compatible. If you have an AV receiver with HDMI 1.3 or later, you’ve already got support for DD+.
Hope you have the right test stream.

Last edited by frank; 21st April 2016 at 12:01.
Old 21st April 2016, 12:37   #968  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@tebasuna51
Damn! I haven't verified with a right-view in AVC movie. And if it's really a MakeMKV bug, it's even worse than the previous situation, because the user will think that the correct views order is selected, and end up with the views inverted! I hope they will fix that bug immediately! I can't implement a workaround in BD3D2MK3D, because I have no way to know what version of MakeMKV has been used to create the 3D MKV.

@frank
BD3D2MK3D doesn't use eac3to to demux the audio streams. It uses tsMuxeR. (Except for the TrueHD tracks in a MKV container, that tsMuxeR cannot demux.)

The bug is in MakeMKV. It can successfully extract the 5.1 core of the DD+ tracks from the BD 3D. But you can also tick if you wish the DD+ track itself, to include it in the MKV. And the problem is here. The DD+ track (on BD) consists of the 5.1 core and an extension with 4 channels. MakeMKV extracts the extension only and create a bad 4-channels tracks that is not EAC3 nor AC3. The main channels are missing! It's just unusable and it is not recognised by eac3to, MediaInfo and all players I have. Only tsMuxeR seems to recognise it, and luckily shows that it has 4 channels. It can also demux it, but again, that track is useless. That means that, as long as that bug is present in MakeMKV, you have to tick the 5.1 core of the EAC3 tracks, and untick the "EAC3" track in the MakeMKV GUI. (If you don't untick it, BD3D2MK3D will detect that it has only 4 channels and refuse to process it.) It's a problem only for peoples who want to keep the best audio quality and use MakeMKV to decrypt the BD.

I agree that BD mostly use DTS for high quality audio. TrueHD is also very frequent. Luckily, EAC3 tracks are relatively rare, but they exist. A good example is the French track on Brave (Pixar).

Last edited by r0lZ; 21st April 2016 at 12:40.
Old 21st April 2016, 18:21   #969  |  Link
thahandy

Quote:
@tebasuna51
[...]
I have no way to know what version of MakeMKV has been used to create the 3D MKV.
[...]
Code:
mkvinfo Sample_t00.mkv -G |Find "Writing application"

| + Writing application: MakeMKV v1.9.10 win(x64-release)
is one way to get it

Last edited by thahandy; 21st April 2016 at 18:26.
Old 21st April 2016, 19:12   #970  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the tip!
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:13   #971  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.89

It's not an important release, but you should download it if you use MakeMKV to decrypt your 3DBDs. I've just implemented a test of the version of MakeMKV that has been used to create the input MVC MKV, and if it's v1.9.10 (the current version), BD3D2MK3D does not trust the views order in the MKV header, due to the MakeMKV bug. I suppose that the next version will have the correct stereoscopy value.

BTW, I have also noticed that MakeMKV doesn't set the Forced MKV flag on the "forced only" subtitle streams. It's a pity, as it's very easy to do. But it's not really serious, because the user can set the flag manually in the GUI or MakeMKV or BD3D2MK3D. Anyway, I have reported the bug on the MakeMKV forum.

Quote:
v0.89 (April 23, 2016)
- BD3D2MK3D does not trust any more the views order written by MakeMKV v1.9.10 due to its bug.
- Modified some dialogs to explain that MakeMKV v1.9.11 should be OK.
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 24th April 2016, 02:53   #972  |  Link
tebasuna51

Thanks r0lZ!
Old 1st May 2016, 20:22   #973  |  Link
Triple-M

Is there a difference (in the Video Quality perhaps) if i play the MVC-MKV directly with an right Player or the MKV after i converted it with your Tool? Is the Video Quality both the Same?

Old 1st May 2016, 20:35   #974  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Technically, every lossy encoding loses information (read: quality). If the bitrate is high enough a human won't be able to tell the difference, though. We call that "transparent". So the MVC should in theory be better but it might not make any difference in practice if you use sufficient bitrate (i.e. sufficiently low --crf or sufficiently high --bitrate).

P.S.: While it is possible to employ lossless encoding (in x264 using --qp 0) the resulting file would be much larger than the original BluRay.
Old 2nd May 2016, 05:10   #975  |  Link
Triple-M

Ok thanks. And with the right Player i can switch between 2D and 3D in die MVC-MKV without a second Version of this File only for 2D without MVC, right?

Old 2nd May 2016, 10:06   #976  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Sneaker_ger is right. But you should also take into account that the resolution of the image is divided by 2 in one direction if you encode in Half-SBS or Half-T&B. Therefore, in addition to the re-encoding, there is also a quality loss in resolution. (To avoid that problem, you can encode in Full-SBS, Full-T&B or Frame Sequential format, but that formats are not supported by the majority of the hardware players.)

Most players do not recognise at all that a MVC-MKV contains a 3D movie. They play only the AVC stream, in 2D, and ignore completely the MVC stream. As fas as I know, only Stereoscopic Player is currently able to play the MVC-MKV in 3D. I don't know if it can play it in 2D, but you can use another player anyway. In the other hand, almost all software or hardware 3D players can play the Half-SBS or Half-T&B formats generated by BD3D2MK3D in 3D. It's why I wrote it. Most players or 3D-TVs have an option to display the 3D movie in 2D, except some software 3D players. And, of course, you cannot use a 2D-only player to play a 3D movie generated by BD3D2MK3D in 2D, because it will show you the two views at the same time.

So: Use the MVC-MKV generated by MakeMKV if quality matters much, if you have plenty of disc space, and if you are happy with Stereoscopic Player to watch your movies in 3D. You can watch them in 2D easily, without quality loss.
Use Half-SBS or Half-T&B created by BD3D2MK3D if you want a format recognised by all 3D players or if disc space matters. It may be more difficult to watch the movie in 2D on a PC, but it's possible with the right software.

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd May 2016 at 10:19.
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:22   #977  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
As fas as I know, only Stereoscopic Player is currently able to play the MVC-MKV in 3D.
And LAV + madVR.
Old 13th May 2016, 22:27   #978  |  Link
Nico8583

Does anyone know if there is a way to combine AVC and MVC like MakeMKV ? CombineMVC is too old now and compatibility is not so good..
Old 14th May 2016, 10:10   #979  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't think there is a direct way, but you can create a BD-3D ISO with tsMuxeR, mount it and then create the AVC+MVC MKV with MakeMKV.
Old 14th May 2016, 10:27   #980  |  Link
Nico8583

Yes but I would like to skip some steps
I would like to try to make MKV AVC+MVC and it seems the only way to do that is to combine AVC+MVC into a single H264 elementary stream... Also I would like to try dual stream (1 full stream for left eye and 1 for right eye) but I don't know if it's possible, even if some camcorders support that.
Closed Thread