Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 23rd June 2020, 15:36   #2001  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevron View Post
There is DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 3846 kbps / 24-bit and you need to keep DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit.
But staxrip lowers bit depth to 16-bit. It can be fixed?
tsMuxerGUI 2.6.16 Nightly holds 24-bit capacity.
Thanks.
"DTS cores don't have any inherent bitdepth (same for many other lossy format, e.g. AC3, AAC). You can ignore what MediaInfo tells you about it after core extraction. Only the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio "has" a bitdepth in any meaningful way."

This was a post by sneaker some time ago.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:00   #2002  |  Link
hevron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
"DTS cores don't have any inherent bitdepth (same for many other lossy format, e.g. AC3, AAC). You can ignore what MediaInfo tells you about it after core extraction. Only the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio "has" a bitdepth in any meaningful way."
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:02   #2003  |  Link
Atlantis

Oh, Avisynth is portable now in staxrip? I remember it installed Avisynth. Mine is still global, pointing to C:. Any advantages, disadvantages?
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:08   #2004  |  Link
Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
What benefits do you get from extracting DTS to core during the demuxing stage vs extracting DTS to core via the muxing process?
Because as I explained, some people want to encode the 5.1 DTS core. Some people do not want to keep the DTS core. They want to encode it to AAC 5.1 for example.
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:10   #2005  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Because as I explained, some people want to encode the 5.1 DTS core. Some people do not want to keep the DTS core. They want to encode it to AAC 5.1 for example.
You can do that without extracting it. You can right click the bottom audio#1 in staxrip and encode aac or ac3 5.1 or what ever you want from the higher quality DTS HD track.

Old 23rd June 2020, 20:16   #2006  |  Link
Atlantis

I don't understand, doesn't that encode the DTS HD track? I do not want that. DTS HD track can be 6.1 or 7.1. I want to encode the core which is 5.1. I want only 5.1.

UPDATE: If you say to it to convert the DTS HD 7.1 to 5.1. It is not the original mix. It is modifying and mixing the channels. God knows what happens in the final mix. But if you encode the original 5.1 mix, the channels and the mix will be the original untouched.

What happens when it is downmixing 7.1 to 5.1?

Last edited by Atlantis; 23rd June 2020 at 20:23.
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:30   #2007  |  Link
Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
It's supported in the eac3to demuxer, there is a menu preset for it.
If it's possible what is the step by step to do this inside staxrip GUI?

I want to encode a video in staxrip. I open it in staxrip.

I want to encode the video and only the DTS core. Is there a step by step to do it all in staxrip GUI without leaving?
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:44   #2008  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I don't understand, doesn't that encode the DTS HD track? I do not want that. DTS HD track can be 6.1 or 7.1. I want to encode the core which is 5.1. I want only 5.1.

UPDATE: If you say to it to convert the DTS HD 7.1 to 5.1. It is not the original mix. It is modifying and mixing the channels. God knows what happens in the final mix. But if you encode the original 5.1 mix, the channels and the mix will be the original untouched.

What happens when it is downmixing 7.1 to 5.1?
That's something someone with a lot more knowledge on audio would have to explain.

As far as I know StaxRip doesn't support this on demux. Maybe stax76 can add it in.

Im assuming you know that you can extract core with ffmpeg and ea3cto.

EDIT: Upon some testing mkvextract CLI (That I'm 99% sure StaxRip uses to demux) doesn't support extracting DTS to core. It only extracts it to raw data that is the full DTS-HD file. I'll do some more digging and see if it's possible.

Last edited by jlw_4049; 23rd June 2020 at 21:08.
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:07   #2009  |  Link
stax76

The eac3to demuxing dialog is typically used for BD folder demuxing and for M2TS demuxing, it can also be used to demux other things like mkv, probably not a good idea to change the default mkv demuxer from mkvmerge to eac3to. There is however a decoupled demuxing feature under:

Tools > Advanced > Demux.

eac3to does unlike mkvextract support Core only demuxing, maybe somebody should request it for mkvextract which extracts dtshd even when the dts file extension is used, I don't see how that makes sense.

If you open a mkv file with default settings then you have either dtshd in mkv or you have it demuxed, in both cases the audio processing is a two-step process not directly supported by staxrip. You've two options:

1. Instead of using the GUI audio encoder you can use the CLI audio encoder, this is somehow advanced, ideally for people that like working with command line.

2. You can create an GUI audio profile that does nothing but extracting the core. Directly after you opened the source you can choose this audio profile, go into the audio dialog and choose the option Execute Command Line, while this is processing you can do other things like choosing video filters etc., when extracting completes, right-click the audio track in the main dialog and select the extracted DTS Core file as audio source, then choose your aac or opus profile.
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:17   #2010  |  Link
jlw_4049

@Atlantis

I asked if it was possible in the proper thread for this. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...04#post1916504

If the author adds the feature to the program then I'm sure Stax76 can easily add it to the Demuxer GUI.
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:52   #2011  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
2. You can create an GUI audio profile that does nothing but extracting the core.
Two methods are possible.

1. Create a new audio profile based on Copy/Mux with Extract DTS Core feature.

Or

2. Create a new command line audio profile that uses ffmpeg.

A screenshot for this:

The command line:

Code:
"%app:ffmpeg%" -analyzeduration 100M -probesize 50M -i "%input%" -bsf:a dca_core -c:a copy -y -hide_banner "%output%"
You can create either of these audio profiles by launching an empty StaxRip session and clicking Audio > Edit Profiles... > Add > Copy/Mux or Command Line.

(I guess these two are basically the same though.)

And the rest is as @stax76 explained:

After the source file is opened, choose either of these two profiles in the corresponding DTS-HD audio track, right-click the track, and run "Execute".

After the core is successfully extracted, right-click the audio track again and choose the extracted dts audio file for re-encoding.

Last edited by JKyle; 23rd June 2020 at 23:02.
Old 24th June 2020, 07:45   #2012  |  Link
44vince44

JKyle, the following command is enough to extract DTS Core
"%app:ffmpeg%" -i "%input%" -bsf:a dca_core -c:a copy -y -hide_banner "%output%"

Is there a specific reason you would need -analyzeduration and -probesize ?

For the rest I think you gave the best solution possible !
Old 24th June 2020, 08:10   #2013  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44vince44 View Post
Is there a specific reason you would need -analyzeduration and -probesize ?
They are for ensuring more accurate stream info detection.

Some containers, esp. MPEG-2 transport streams like ts, m2ts, and mts, have a very tiny packet size, and therefore are more prone to stream probe failure.

In those cases, ffmpeg yields the following error message and comes up with the -analyzeduration and -probesize options.

Code:
Could not find codec parameters for stream 0: unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options

Last edited by JKyle; 24th June 2020 at 08:13.
Old 24th June 2020, 11:45   #2014  |  Link
44vince44

Thanks JKyle I didnt know that. i'll update my profiles accordingly.
Old 24th June 2020, 12:20   #2015  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
They are for ensuring more accurate stream info detection.

Some containers, esp. MPEG-2 transport streams like ts, m2ts, and mts, have a very tiny packet size, and therefore are more prone to stream probe failure.

In those cases, ffmpeg yields the following error message and comes up with the -analyzeduration and -probesize options.

Code:
Could not find codec parameters for stream 0: unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
Thanks for the information

Old 24th June 2020, 20:42   #2016  |  Link
hevron

StaxRip-x64-2.1.3.5-beta, demuxing problem

Failed to create soft link.
G:\...\StaxRip-x64-2.1.3.5-beta\Apps\Encoders\ffmpeg\AviSynth.dll

And so every time...
Name:  Failed to create soft link.png
Views: 577
Size:  42.6 KB
Old 25th June 2020, 01:55   #2017  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevron View Post
Failed to create soft link.
G:\...\StaxRip-x64-2.1.3.5-beta\Apps\Encoders\ffmpeg\AviSynth.dll
In order to create a symbolic link on Windows 10, you need to launch a Command Prompt with admin rights.

1) Click Win+r
2) Type cmd
3) Ctrl + Shift + Enter
4) cd to the folder where ffmpeg.exe is located.
5) Create a symbolic link to AviSynth.dll there like this (full path should be specified):

Code:
mklink AviSynth.dll G:\...\StaxRip-x64-2.1.3.5-beta\Apps\FrameServer\AviSynth\AviSynth.dll
For further info, refer to this post.

But on second thought, do we even need to do this for StaxRip?

I see similar reports of failure to create symlinks for AviSynth.dll here and there, but as for me, I'm not experiencing this problem as of now for both installed and portable AviSynth implementations in fresh start of StaxRip.

Is it something that happens when ffmpeg is employed for preprocessing?

AFAIK, Patman's ffmpeg is built with AviSynth support. Does ffmpeg require AviSynth.dll when it takes an avs input in this case?

But wait. Patman's ffmpeg is static, which means it doesn't depend on external dlls. What am I missing here?

Someone with knowledge please enlighten me.

Last edited by JKyle; 25th June 2020 at 04:06.
Old 25th June 2020, 13:08   #2018  |  Link
hevron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
Code:
mklink AviSynth.dll G:\...\StaxRip-x64-2.1.3.5-beta\Apps\FrameServer\AviSynth\AviSynth.dll
Did not help…
Unable to create file because it already exists

P.S. Why do I need a Command Prompt if I use software???

Last edited by hevron; 25th June 2020 at 13:31.
Old 25th June 2020, 13:43   #2019  |  Link
stax76

@JKyle

On my system which is pretty much default Win 10, soft link creation does not require elevated privileges.

If soft link creation of staxrip fails then maybe starting staxrip as admin once for soft link creation might help.

Creating the links manually will not work however, staxrip uses absolute paths for soft link creation, it saves the location in the settings only if the creation succeeds and verifies that the staxrip location hasn't changed, if the creation did not succeed or the location has changed then staxrip will recreate the links.

It's probably not working in Win 7, even with elevated privileges Win 7 might not allow creation without changing permissions.

If avisynth 3.6.1 x64 is installed then users can go into the staxrip settings dialog and disable portable mode, after staxrip is restarted it will use the installed avisynth and don't create any soft links.

Last edited by stax76; 25th June 2020 at 13:48.
Old 25th June 2020, 14:11   #2020  |  Link
hevron

Quote:
It's probably not working in Win 7, even with elevated privileges Win 7 might not allow creation without changing permissions.
If avisynth 3.6.1 x64 is installed then users can go into the staxrip settings dialog and disable portable mode, after staxrip is restarted it will use the installed avisynth and don't create any soft links.
Win 10 x64, avisynth not installed.
Probably now you need to run only with administrator rights.

Last edited by hevron; 25th June 2020 at 15:01.
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265