Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 20th July 2002, 03:16   #1  |  Link
Mosaic

Macrovision

Has anyone ever added macrovision and encrypting to an authored DVD?

I have a client with original video to author and copy protection is required.....
I use Spruce up or Maestro.
Old 20th July 2002, 05:30   #2  |  Link
TRILIGHT

It is capable of using encryption. However, if I'm not mistaken, you have to pay a licensing fee or something like that to obtain an encryption key from Macrovision. You might get more information if you were to contact them directly.
Old 20th July 2002, 14:17   #3  |  Link
auenf

the license fee is per disc manufactured.

Enf...
auenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2002, 19:42   #4  |  Link
slk001

Not only do you need to obtain a license, you must submit the DVD to a "pressing" facility (usually via DLT), since DVD-Rs do not have (actually, CANNOT have) the capability to store the CSS key. As for Macrovision, I imagine that you have to obtain a license from them, also (Macrovision can be put on a DVD-R). This client sounds like a real pain-in-the ass to deal with. I hope that you have charged them accordingly.

Either of your authoring packages is capable of DLT export. For Spruceup, both Macrovision and encryption will have to be added "post authoring" of the disk. Like I said, this disk has to be manufactured... it can't be burned.
slk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2002, 14:03   #5  |  Link
auenf

Quote:
Originally posted by slk001
Not only do you need to obtain a license, you must submit the DVD to a "pressing" facility (usually via DLT), since DVD-Rs do not have (actually, CANNOT have) the capability to store the CSS key. As for Macrovision, I imagine that you have to obtain a license from them, also (Macrovision can be put on a DVD-R). This client sounds like a real pain-in-the ass to deal with. I hope that you have charged them accordingly.
uhh, DVD-R(G) cant have CSS/Macrovision info, DVD-R(A) does.

Enf...
Old 21st July 2002, 14:14   #6  |  Link
Cayne

I always thought Macrovision is added to video-files. So how else would it work on VHS-Tapes?
Cayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2002, 14:24   #7  |  Link
auenf

Macrovision is analogue, yes, i should remove it from my post just above yours

Enf...
Old 22nd July 2002, 19:03   #8  |  Link
slk001

Neither DVD-R(General) nor DVD-R(Authoring) can have a CSS key installed (burned) on (in?) them. The area reserved for this info in the lead-in area is PERMANENTLY EMBOSSED / OBSCURED by spec definition (and yes, on BOTH of these versions).

Macrovision is simply something added to the Vertical Sync pulse, which can easily be done with either DVD-R version.
slk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2002, 21:20   #9  |  Link
Arky

Mosaic, I understand your client's wishes, but if I were you I'd save yourself, and your client, a lot of wasted time and money. Both Macrovision and CSS are **EASILY** defeatable these days, so although this is something copyright-watchers are loathe to admit, it's a simple matter of fact. Why spend thousands of dollars/pounds on CSS or Macrovision encryption when anyone can download FREE ripping software to defeat it in a matter of seconds? It just does not make economic sense to pursue, and employ, largely-redundant technologies.

Provided that you are careful, and polite, in your explanation to your client, I cannot see why they would continue to pursue the issue - it's not a reflection on you, as an authorer, it's simply the current status quo in the industry.

Arky ;o)
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2002, 05:49   #10  |  Link
Sequoyan
Vibrator

I've put a lot of thought into this issue and here's what I think:

Macrovision is still useful. I always had trouble with making copies until I discovered the solution that you all are aware of (if you aren't, don't ask me). It's expensive though, the producer of the content must have a license with Macrovision.

CSS is still good in a certain way. I as an author would like to copy whole video_ts folders from a DVD to my HD in order to run various emulators and debuggers to learn how the 'pros' do things.

But I agree that the benefit of both is pretty small these days and certainly not worth the cost.
Old 24th July 2002, 07:05   #11  |  Link
brutallo2002

Personally I would try anything to persuade a client *not* to use Macrovision! I've always considered it a stupid waste of time and money, and as Arky says it is easily bypassed by anyone serious about making a copy or whatever.

If your client is worried about having his content stolen, maybe a good alternative would be to place a logo or "bug" in the lower right corner of the frame?

Just my $0.02.
brutallo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2002, 08:33   #12  |  Link
Cayne

I once heard rumours that already a very old VHS-Recorder would be enough to copy Macro-content, because it doesn't mind about the copy-protection.
Cayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2002, 20:46   #13  |  Link
erwan

cayne,

you are right, my old vcr doesnt care macrovision.
but i dont think it is very useful to copy a dvd to vhs.

erwan
erwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 18:05   #14  |  Link
jmonfm

As far as I understand it - Macrovision works by turning the sync pulse before the video burst into a whopping pulse which cuts in the AGC and pulls the video level right down. This does'nt change the playback into a TV as it is not effected. - however when you try to copy onto a recordable media it drags it down to a level which is too small. Old VCR's did'nt have AGC & so are not effected. You need to defeat the AGC which is quite difficult in modern kit as it is usually all in an integral I.C. - or run the signal through a processor which strips and re-lays the sync pulses.
A load of rubbish really as it can easily be defeated and quite cheaply these days. Processor in U.K. maybe £40.00.
Happy Ripping