Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2006, 20:33   #41  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

If you see what I have selected in the dropdown, I dont want this file to conform to a particular size.

I just want this to say "Use profile setting" or "N/A"

agressiv
Attached Images

Old 5th October 2006, 21:40   #42  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

for custom size just overwrite , as example 1 CD or 1/3 DVD, with your wanted size in MB

so write 300 for an output size of 300 MB

i will look tomorrow for bitrate issue, sorry

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 6th October 2006, 07:07   #43  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

UPDATE www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV17.exe

fixed bitrate issue (0.17)

if neroAacEnc.exe is missing then automkvc will switch to ogg vorbis audio (0.17)

CRF and QP quantitizer is parsed from SharkTooth profile ( example: in CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf).xml there is one row <BitrateQuantizer>18</BitrateQuantizer> , 18 is used ) (0.17)

and sorry again for bitrate issue (even if i think is due to x264.exe...)

BHH
Old 6th October 2006, 14:37   #44  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Looks like bitrate issue is fixed. I'll do 2 or 3 more tests and edit in the results.

I noticed if neroAacEnc.exe is missing AND you have chosen original-original (ac3) then the ogg routines are still activated. A small thing as neroAacEnc.exe should have been in the BeSweet dir except I redownloaded yesterday and forgot to put it back in.

Last edited by DDogg; 6th October 2006 at 15:03.
Old 6th October 2006, 14:52   #45  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

update www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV18.exe
about Original Audio > fixed (0.18)

fixed some info about audio in log file

BHH

P.S. my best thanks to DDogg for his test !
Old 6th October 2006, 15:53   #46  |  Link
DDogg

Since it looks like the bitrate thing is now working, I need to ask you some questions to better understand your automatic resizing thing -

As a hard test I chose a source of 90 minutes and selected the original AC3 (314 MB (329,891,072 bytes)) with a target of 1 cd using 1P intermediate.

Obviously this is not a good idea, but I wanted to see how your autosizing would work. What I am seeing is a bitrate of 532 and the movie.avs is still 704x304. I assumed the purpose of the automatic resizing would be to move that resolution down to more match the available bitrate. Am I confused, or should the resolution have been reduced? [Maybe it can't work right with 1P? That would make perfect sense as one would not use a 1P for this]

Personally I would not use that feature much, if ever, because I would be using x264 to create HQ stuff and would never want the resolution to be reduced. Still, I would like to understand it better so as to provide some decent testing for you in the future.

I CAN see a mode where a person would like to specify a resolution, quality and the size of the slices and let an automatic mode make the decision on how many slices to produce to yield the specified quality. But that is something to talk about in the future if you are interested as is [the companion topic of light compression enhancing] conditional filtering being triggered if the auto decision showed itself to be on the short edge of adding another incremental slice.

Btw, a process priority selection would be welcomed as x264 does a great job of maxing out my dual not leaving much CPU available for anything else unless I manually reduce the priority.

buzzqw, thanks for your work and let me know how I can help.

Success - The above described encode came out as 692 MB (725,651,061 bytes) - Change: The quality was suprisingly good given the 532 bitrate, 704x304 res, and using 1P intermediate. I think if the proper 2pass mode had been used it would have been quite good. X264 is amazing me more and more. Log attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt automkv.txt (9.2 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by DDogg; 6th October 2006 at 16:41.
Old 6th October 2006, 15:54   #47  |  Link
agressiv
Registered Loser

I will try leaving that size field blank. I never ever encode fixed sizes, I always just want target bitrates.

I dont have a lot of sources here at work, but the one I tested with has a large audio delay:

Movie T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 62224ms.ac3

Audio was desynced - and checking the log, it doesn't look like its attempting to compensate for it, nor can I see where I could compensate for it manually -

I frequently use this source because it represents a challenge

Attached is the log -

Other question - anyway of opening the various command line windows minimized or otherwise hidden?

agressiv
Attached Files
File Type: txt automkv.txt (11.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 6th October 2006, 22:12   #48  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
Obviously this is not a good idea, but I wanted to see how your autosizing would work.
basically i encode 5% of full movie (look at resmovie.avs) and look at the resulting size.
Based on this sized i calculate the "better" width

as you said 1pass mode isn't well suited for compression test, and, probably, if you had chosed 2 pass encode the width should be lower.

Quote:
Btw, a process priority selection would be welcomed
before i allowed the editing of bat files automkv launched all encoding in idle priority. But since i allow editing of bat files, automkv cannot more choose these priority (since now i launch bat files no more x264.exe directly) . I must search another solution....

Quote:
I will try leaving that size field blank. I never ever encode fixed sizes, I always just want target bitrates.
if you want target bitrate you know the resulting final size (since is based on bitrate !). Write on size box your wanted size.

Quote:
Movie T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 62224ms.ac3
.... i think there is something wrong with this delay... try re-ripping and relaunch dgindex. Audio fix is based on delaycut by jsoto, an excellent application

Quote:
Other question - anyway of opening the various command line windows minimized or otherwise hidden?
there no hidden window. if you want to check bat files before automkv lauch these files, just check "pause before encoding"

BHH
Old 6th October 2006, 22:40   #49  |  Link
DDogg

Second test on same source using 2P Main Profile sized out at 691 MB (724,595,637 bytes). I used Deen() which is a little too heavy but maximizes compression. Resulting res was still 704x304 but it looked quite good with no artifacts. Maybe AutoMK felt the 704x304 was correct given the increased compression effects of Deen().

I'll try to do another with a strong sharpening filter. That should trigger a resolution change if it is ever going to do so, given a 550 bitrate. I attached the log if you need any information.
Attached Files
File Type: txt automkv.txt (10.4 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by DDogg; 6th October 2006 at 22:48.
Old 7th October 2006, 05:53   #50  |  Link
DDogg

buzzqw, this whole resolution thing got me going today. I found the method you are using does not create a different filesize even when one sample had Deen() in it and one had a crazy Sharpen(1). This should have near doubled the size of the sample.

So, this was the result http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=116773

As an exercise copy one of your resmovie scripts. In one put Deen() and the other use Sharpen(1). Use your normal res encode batchfiles and note very little difference in size (because you are using a bitrate specified method).

Now substitute a -crf 30 and see the filesize nearly double as it should because a constant quality mode is used and the additional complexity caused by the Sharpen(1) causes large bitrate increases as the use of Deen() will cause lower complexity and lower bitrate averages.

The deen() and sharpen(1) is just a quick way to fake movies of different complexity.

Btw, try using only a 1 or 2% sample. That should be fine. SelectRangeEvery(600,12) will give you a 2% and my tests showed it was pretty accurate.
Old 7th October 2006, 10:29   #51  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

update www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV19.exe

added possibility to specify % of movie to test for autoresize routines (0.19)
added possibility to use CRF (and value) instead of bitrate for autoresize routines (0.19)
added about button (0.19)

"extra" directory into \exe\encoder folder could be deleted

@DDogg : my test has show that x264.exe , not as xvid, isn't good when encoding in cbr mode (or 2 pass mode) when working with selectrange script. While xvid seems to jump bitrate correctly (from scenes to scenes) , x264.exe isn't so linear... , i think that CRF could be the GOOD answer for compcheck. THANKS for your test !

BHH
Old 7th October 2006, 21:00   #52  |  Link
DDogg

Auto Resolution seems to working ok. On the above mentioned encode I chose crf 20 and it moved the resolution down to 464x192. I then reran with a crf of 25 and it chose to keep 704x304.

I still don't understand why someone would want this feature, but I admit my ignorance on many things mp4.

Temporarily for testing and only if it is an easy thing to do, It would be great if pressing the OK button reran the comptest and resolution decision IF AutoMK sees a time stamp change on the movie.avs file. Dunno, maybe more trouble than it is worth.

It is coming together nicely and should be able to already do most of the encodes that "set it and forget it" people want to do. Clearly a batchmode needs to be thought about at some stage to build upon the ease of use.

Folks wanting to get deep n the guts and mess around always have MeGUI. So concentrating on the "Auto" and "easy to do it" does seem to be the way forward for AutoMK and resisting adding too many odd bells and whistles (including mine) is something for you to think about . AutoMK can't be all things to all people, so let it be really, really good for it's targeted users.

Nice job!
Old 7th October 2006, 22:40   #53  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi DDogg,

I hear you but would there be any chance of adding the following options: -
  • Elementary stream input option (.M1V, .M2V)
  • A manual bit-rate encoding option
  • A manual output resolution option
I think the inclusion of these options would suffice most users requirements....

Great little GUI by-the-way and very simple to use

Very nice work indeed
Old 7th October 2006, 23:00   #54  |  Link
DDogg

Howdy, SMD,

I think 2 things:

1> If the buzzqw is having fun, and if there is an experienced person like you to help test, adding advanced stuff is always cool, but,

2>Seems there would nearly have to be an separate advanced functions menu/window so the clean simple front-end targeted at 95% of the users doesn't turn into the mishmash we have all seen so many times.

AutoGK had a little of that, but I always wished it had an additional advanced menu which would let me drill down/step through to the guts of the process on those few times I wanted to do so. Still, I understood the authors reluctance to deviate too far from his target user. He is a pretty smart guy
Old 8th October 2006, 09:13   #55  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
Temporarily for testing and only if it is an easy thing to do, It would be great if pressing the OK button reran the comptest and resolution decision IF AutoMK sees a time stamp change on the movie.avs file.
could be done in two way: by modifing the avs script or modding the x264 parameters in bat file
I could wait for modifing then relaunch autoresize. Stamp on log the resize gained, then if ok, read the x264 bat and the resmovie.avs.... sorry i think is beyond the scope of AutoMKV... anyway i will think on it (thanks for suggestion)

Quote:
Folks wanting to get deep n the guts and mess around always have MeGUI
or using my MkvMagic

Quote:
Elementary stream input option (.M1V, .M2V)
is already possble ! ... well... in list of support input just choose ALL file. AutoMKV will ask for audio file, just hit Cancel if you haven't any audio to process (anyway i had already added to list of support file these two extension)

Quote:
A manual bit-rate encoding option
is on the way

Quote:
A manual output resolution option
now is possible to specify the width of video. Your input file will be autocropped and then resized to your choice.
Is also possible to NO RESIZE (no autocrop/no resize), just choose NONE in Resizer list

Manual crop and manual width/height could be done by checking "pause before encoding". Edit your avs file and click ok. (anyway an advanced panel is to considering)

thanks all for your kind words

BHH
Old 8th October 2006, 14:49   #56  |  Link
DDogg

> sorry i think is beyond the scope of AutoMKV

No problem whatsoever, but let me make sure we are speaking of the same thing. I was suggesting you set the archive bit or note the timestamp when you create the movie.avs. When OK is pressed and IF the archive bit is gone or timestamp changed you just loop back to the resmovie routine, else continue as normal. Thought that would be a simple thing, but understand if not as I don't know how your code is structured. Certainty not worth hardy any effort if it is not that simple.
Old 8th October 2006, 15:59   #57  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

update www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV20.exe

added bitrate encoding: used in 1 pass encoding or 2 pass encoding (and ofr autoresize routines if not checked use CRF). Specified MB size is ignored. (0.20)

added an Advanced Panel:
moved here : Pause before encoding, Use CRF for Autosize..., Custom Comp% check, Specify Bitrate (0.20), Custom Matrix, Deinterlacer (0.20)

added (in advanced panel) Manual Crop&Resize:
if manual crop and resize is checked then automkv will use those crop parameters AND width/height written. (0.20) (user should use dgindex or gordianknot for finding values...) (0.20)

@DDogg
... i simple thing can be this:
i add a check: "Multiple AutoResize", if user tick this check i can allow
1) to modify avisynth filter from box list
2) x264/xvid profiles
3) resizers (simpleresize/lanczos...)
4) change value of "Use CRF for autoresize"
5) Allow/modify "Custom Comp check"
6) Switch to "Specify bitrate mode" (only for 1 or 2 passes encoding)

after each encoding i ask to continue or redo the autosize

what you think ?

BHH
Old 8th October 2006, 16:30   #58  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

anyway i had already done it

www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV21.exe

added (in advanced panel) "Allow multiple autoresize", if checked automkv will ask to redo autoresize.

allowd changes are

1) to modify avisynth filter from box list
2) x264/xvid profiles
3) resizers (simpleresize/lanczos...)
4) change value of "Use CRF for autoresize"
5) Allow/modify "Custom Comp check"
6) Switch to "Specify bitrate mode" (only for 1 or 2 passes encoding)
7) change matrix

thansk again to DDogg for suggestion !

BHH
Old 8th October 2006, 16:53   #59  |  Link
DDogg

You are freaking amazing! I think the advanced tab is well thought out and will not needlessly confuse people taking their first look at AutoMK.

It may be this evening, but I'll do a complete set of tests (need to finish my test CRF encodes first). Hopefully SMD can give it a workout also. Between the two of us we should be able to break it if it is breakable

Add: very, very nice! Selected multiple auto resize and input crf 22, got 608 res - said yes to redo, and changed to crf 25 and got 703, then did it again with crf 18 and got 368. Seems to be working nicely and I wonder if you should not remove the other size check or at least make crf the default?

I think you have nailed a good balance between user friendly and advanced use in one easy to use package. I will really try to break it later today.

Last edited by DDogg; 8th October 2006 at 17:22.
Old 8th October 2006, 17:54   #60  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

@DDogg

Quote:
we should be able to break it if it is breakable
breakable ??? is breakable like a crystal glass than iron ! (or lead !!!)

i agree about CRF resize, in next version "Use CRF for autoresize" will be check by default. At 18 value ? (should be enough)

and... i missed in changelog: added m1v and m2v to supported input

BHH
Closed Thread