Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th June 2013, 05:27   #19041  |  Link
Stephen R. Savage

It seems the new release of madVR tries to be too helpful and treats videos larger than 1080p as Rec.2020, leading to some pretty hilarious blown-out colors. Given that the little 4K content that's out there (YouTube stuff) and any 4K content to be launched in the near future will be Rec.709, I think autodetection for 2020 should be removed or at least an option be given to disable it.
Stephen R. Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 10:51   #19042  |  Link
chros

Guys, which Windows version do you recommend for only mpc-hc + lav + madvr playback? W7 or W8 ?
Pros vs cons?

Thanks!
Old 6th June 2013, 11:30   #19043  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callannn View Post
Ah so it's not necessarily a problem with playback, my GPU or anything, just something that happens? Is there any way to get rid of them at all?
They should not happen, but they sometimes do. There are a multitude of possible reasons. E.g. some other process or service eating GPU or CPU resources or something like that. FSE mode is the ultimate solution to problems like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callannn View Post
I posted a problem I seem to have with FEM not so long ago but it seemed to have been overlooked, in that when i switch to exclusive mode my average rendering time seems to go through the roof.
Do you also get frame drops, or is it just the render times in the OSD which change? As long as you don't get frame drops, there's nothing to worry about. The rendering times may not always be reliable, depending on which flush settings you're using. E.g. if you've disabled all "flush & wait" options in windowed mode, your windowed mode rendering times are not representative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopija View Post
I am sending video to my 720p plasma and am wondering whether I should set its resolution to 50 or 60hz when using smooth motion FRC?
Usually higher is better. Usually 60Hz is what most plasmas work best in. However, every display is different. So simply try both and use what looks better to your eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopija View Post
What are advantages of using "separate device for presentation" on Intel HD3000?
It might make playback more reliable. Or maybe not. Just check if it helps in your case or not. For most people it's helpful, or at least not harmful. However, this option doesn't work for shared Intel + AMD/NVidia setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul31 View Post
though i would have loved to hear madshi's thoughts as well as i do see him replying to new users of madvr... no matter how simple the question. a bit disappointed.
Asmodian replied well, so I didn't see a need to write the same reply in other words. But maybe I can expand a little:

Quote:
there are other options as well which i haven't mentioned such as deinterlacing which can be configured within LAV video... what should i choose here for the rest of the options?
Deinterlacing inside of LAV might make sense if you plan to use this all for reencoding or stuff like that. As long as we're talking about straight and simple video playback with LAV -> madVR, the default LAV settings are usually the best.

That said, some people prefer yadif deinterlacing quality over DXVA deinterlacing quality (the latter of which is used by madVR at the moment). So for sports and music concerts you could try whether you like LAV's yadif implementation better, if you feel like playing around with the options...

Quote:
how am i able to configure MPC-HC so that ALL the decoding & work that needs to be performed by the LAV filters etc is done completely by the I7 processor {CPU} & not touched at all by the nvidia card?
As Asmodian said, set LAV to "None" for hardware acceleration. Otherwise just use the LAV default configuration.

Quote:
btw, what is "shader scripts in MPC-HC?" & how do i avoid them?
They are disabled by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
question about the second smooth motion option- "or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie refresh rate"
what is the difference between this and the always on option?
cause doesn't the second option cover every possibility?
If the movie framerate matches the display refresh rate exactly, the second option turns Smooth Motion FRC off, while "always on" turns it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalom View Post
I got a problem after updating these today:

-Ati drivers
-MPC-HC
-Lav filters
-madVR

I guess all of the versions were from 6 months to 12 months old.

The problem is that mpc-hc won't close properly, the process i still running, preventing running new video files. I tried to search, and some people points at madVR. When I use an another renderer (EVR custom pres), the problem dissappears. Any idea?
Try a different MPC-HC build, ideally a very new (nightly) one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiccolsd View Post
I tried to take a screenshot but if I stop the movie seem that artifacts disappear. It's something related to motion in the frames.

I'll try to explain, imagine a panning quite fast scene, around the edge\border of a character I can see artifacts, something that similar to ringing artifacts.

Another typical scene for this issue is a panning frame with a wire mesh, the border of the mesh shows artifacts.
Does the same problem occur if you use a different video renderer (e.g. VMR9 or EVR)?

Do you have madVR's smooth motion FRC on or off? (I'm not asking you to turn it on or off, just asking how you have configured it at the moment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Maybe were missing a bit of logging around this area, since I not seeing anything that madVR is requesting yuvMatrix for every frame. All I see is that XySubFilter updates the yuvMatrix once immediately after the resolution rectangle change, and immediately after start sending new bitmaps and positions to madVR. I do agree that XySubFilter shouldn't be getting stuck on a yuvMatrix request if that's really what's occurring, I also believe that requesting yuvMatrix for every frame is a bit overkill especially if you wanted to mimic xy-VSFilter which at this point in time doesn't support changing yuvMatrix mid-stream at all, except video user override in the settings GUI. Maybe this should be changed so its the responsibility of the subtitle provider to inform the subtitle consumer of the yuvMatrix only when something may have changed. It seems possible considering our logging, that this is what XySubFilter is already doing, but I don't really know.
The interface doesn't really allow the provider to inform the subtitle consumer of a yuvMatrix change. It's the duty of both the provider and the consumer to ask the information fields of the other party regularly. Of course we could change the interface, but I don't see a real benefit in doing that.

The key reason why I'm asking the yuvMatrix for every frame is that the user might have switched subtitle tracks. Or maybe the user is playing linked MKV files. In both situations the yuvMatrix might suddenly change. Asking the yuvMatrix for every frame shouldn't harm, as long as XySubFilter replies without delay.

Quote:
Could you clarify this once more.

Theoretically if a subtitle provider only updates yuvMatrix once at the beginning of the stream and ignores all further yuvMatrix requests from the subtitle consumer, but continues to respond to RequestFrame & GetBitmap requests nominally, what is the intended behavior by madVR? Assuming our logs are accurate, XySubFilter does not seem to be stuck internally, since immediately after the resolution change and updating yuvMatrix, we start responding to all RequestFrame & GetBitmap requests.
You need to see this from a thread specific point of view. The madVR subtitle thread is calling RequestFrame. Both the madVR uploading and rendering threads are calling GetBitmap. I can see from your log that XySubFilter continues to render subtitles quite happily while the madVR rendering thread is stuck. So obviously not the whole of XySubFilter is stuck.

There rarely is such a thing as one DirectShow filter (or one software component) being completely stuck. Things like that happen on a thread-by-thread basis. It seems that calls into XySubFilter made by madVR from the context of madVR's subtitle thread work fine without stalling. However, the calls into XySubFilter made by madVR from the context of madVR's rendering thread seem to be stuck inside of XySubFilter. This is a very typical behaviour when something goes wrong with thread protection (inside of XySubFilter).

(Again, I'm not 100% sure, this is just my best guess based on what I'm seeing in the log.)

Quote:
What requirements need to be met in madVR internally before it renders subtitles from the subtitle queue?
The thing is, madVR's rendering thread is already *trying* to render the subtitles. That's why it's asking XySubFilter for the yuvMatrix. In programming if a thread calls an API or a function, and if that API or function simply doesn't return, there's absolutely *nothing* you can do about it. I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that madVR asks XySubFilter for information and that XySubFilter takes a loooong time to answer. Due to the way threading works, this automatically means XySubFilter is stalling the whole madVR rendering thread (if that is what is happening).

Quote:
Overall, GetOutputRect sounds a bit more likely as a cause of stalling rather than yuvMatrix.
Yes, it could be GetOutputRect, too. I can see in the log that the madVR rendering thread does nothing for a long time, then the first log line after that pause is the yuvMatrix madVR got from XySubFilter. That's why I first thought it might be the reading of the yuvMatrix which took so long. But right before reading the yuvMatrix I'm also asking XySubFilter for GetOutputRect, so it could also be that which is stalling. In theory it could also be something completely XySubFilter unrelated. But since the problem only occurs in connection with XySubFilter I think it's likely that my guess is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post
I'm using XP x64 with MPC-HC x86 last build from xhmikosr + Haali splitter + madVR last build + 9600GT @301.42 driver and getting this:

Any idea?
Looks like a decoder problem. Which decoder are you using? Try a different one (e.g. LAV Video Decoder).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Savage View Post
It seems the new release of madVR tries to be too helpful and treats videos larger than 1080p as Rec.2020, leading to some pretty hilarious blown-out colors. Given that the little 4K content that's out there (YouTube stuff) and any 4K content to be launched in the near future will be Rec.709, I think autodetection for 2020 should be removed or at least an option be given to disable it.
You might have a point, considering what 4K content is out there today. However, I think in 5 years 99.9% of all 4K user content is likely to be BT.2020, so at some point in the future madVR should auto select BT.2020 for 4K content. But maybe it's too early for that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Guys, which Windows version do you recommend for only mpc-hc + lav + madvr playback? W7 or W8 ?
Pros vs cons?
Win8 has a bug with setting correct refresh rates, but I've found a workaround in the latest madVR version. As a result I personally see no big difference between win7 and win8 for video playback, anymore. Just pick which you like better for other reasons...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 12:07   #19044  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I can't handle bug reports that are spread across bug tracker and forum thread. If you want your feedback to be helpful, you have to add it to the bug tracker report you mentioned.
Hi madshi,

I finally reported this to the bug tracker. I see you've attempted to fix Ryrynz and I's issue but could not re-produce it on your Windows 8 machine. Well as I report in my bug report, it's possibly a windows 7 + HD 4000 + 9.18.10.3071 (or later) issue. I have an HD 4000 on my laptop running windows 8 and it's fine using the same driver. My desktop running Win7 64-bit SP1, however, is not. I even tried the newer driver package (15.​31.​9.​64.​3165) and I have the same issue. Still have to revert back to 9.17.10.2932.

edit: I see it's a driver bug. I saw you and Ryrynz talking about it, but I thought you were talking about something else.

Last edited by rahzel; 6th June 2013 at 14:39.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 15:13   #19045  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Looks like a decoder problem. Which decoder are you using? Try a different one (e.g. LAV Video Decoder).
I've tried with MPC-HC internal decoders, FFDShow and madVR internal decoder. Also, I've tried a lot of other videos encoded with different codecs. The same result. On the other hand, if I change the render to, let's say VMR 7 or 9, everything went back to normal.

LAV decoders are virtually the same used by FFDShow, right?
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 15:17   #19046  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post
I've tried with MPC-HC internal decoders, FFDShow and madVR internal decoder. Also, I've tried a lot of other videos encoded with different codecs. The same result. On the other hand, if I change the render to, let's say VMR 7 or 9, everything went back to normal.
Ok, that's weird. Can you please report this to the madVR bug tracker ( http://madVR.bugs.madshi.net ) and attach a small sample to the bug entry, so that I can reproduce the problem on my PC? Thanks.
Old 6th June 2013, 15:46   #19047  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Ok, that's weird. Can you please report this to the madVR bug tracker ( http://madVR.bugs.madshi.net ) and attach a small sample to the bug entry, so that I can reproduce the problem on my PC? Thanks.
Great. It's here: http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=78

Thanks, man.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 15:48   #19048  |  Link
zero9999

i'm not entirely sure if XySubFilter or MadVR is at fault here, but subtitles seem to be rendered in full/PC range.

http://www.check2pic.ru/compare/29611/

ASS script is tagged as TV.601.

Tested on:
madVR 0.86.2
XySubFilter .425
zero9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 16:00   #19049  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero9999 View Post
i'm not entirely sure if XySubFilter or MadVR is at fault here, but subtitles seem to be rendered in full/PC range.

http://www.check2pic.ru/compare/29611/

ASS script is tagged as TV.601.

Tested on:
madVR 0.86.2
XySubFilter .425
Hmmmm... This might be a bug in madVR which happens when XySubFilter is doing the color correction. @cyberbeing, this might also explain why the colors are wrong when XySubFilter is doing the color correction internally.

@zero9999, can you please create an issue in the madVR bug tracker and upload a small video sample? Thanks...
Old 6th June 2013, 17:12   #19050  |  Link
zero9999

Quote:
@zero9999, can you please create an issue in the madVR bug tracker and upload a small video sample? Thanks...

Bug and samples submitted
. Should i also create a feature request for rendering subtitles on screenshots taken with madvr or is that part just not done, yet?
Old 6th June 2013, 17:18   #19051  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Should i also create a feature request for rendering subtitles on screenshots taken with madvr or is that part just not done, yet?
The bug tracker is only for bugs, not for feature requests. The screenshot functionality will be improved some time in the future.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:37   #19052  |  Link
dansrfe

I haven't come across the repeating frame bug with FRC on since v0.86.2. Also, the previously visible FRC artifacts are gone.Thanks madshi!
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 21:50   #19053  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I haven't come across the repeating frame bug with FRC on since v0.86.2. Also, the previously visible FRC artifacts are gone.Thanks madshi!
That's good to hear!

Can those guys who were seeing ghosting problems with madVR's FRC please recheck with v0.86.2? Maybe they're gone now, too?
Old 6th June 2013, 22:46   #19054  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:
Should i also create a feature request for rendering subtitles on screenshots taken with madvr or is that part just not done, yet?
Wait... doesn't it do that already? I've been taking screenshots with subs with lav+mpc-hc+madvr all this time o_O
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:08   #19055  |  Link
zero9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Hi madshi,
A quick bug report (not due to this new build, as I tested with 0.86.1):
madvr has troubles rendering videos encoded with Cinepak/CVID, the display is all screwed up.
A sample file: here.
In the exact same graph, replacing madvr by the VMRs or EVR solves the issue.
Unrelatedly, now on to test 0.86.2, thanks for this new build!

Edit: same bug with 0.86.2.
this is not only broken with zoom player (as mentioned on the bug report), but also with mpc-hc using the VCM decoder that comes with windows.
however, LAV video decoder seems to behave correctly, so enabling Cinepak in LAV fixes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
Wait... doesn't it do that already? I've been taking screenshots with subs with lav+mpc-hc+madvr all this time o_O
not when using the upcoming subtitle interface.
xy-vsfilter renders the subtitles directly on the video before it even gets to madvr, so no further steps are necessary to get the subs to display on screenshots in that case.

Last edited by zero9999; 6th June 2013 at 23:11.
Old 7th June 2013, 00:33   #19056  |  Link
dansrfe

I spoke too soon about the repeating frame bug. Still happens in the same situation. The easiest way to replicate the issue is by rapidly pressing the right (or left?) arrow.

Last edited by dansrfe; 7th June 2013 at 01:34.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 01:15   #19057  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Hmmmm... This might be a bug in madVR which happens when XySubFilter is doing the color correction. @cyberbeing, this might also explain why the colors are wrong when XySubFilter is doing the color correction internally.
If you think this is a madVR bug that's good news, since we still had no idea how or why madVR 0.86.2 Final was breaking XySubFilter internal color correction when it worked fine in the older 0.86.2pre test builds. When you fix this, please send me a new test build, unless you plan to push out a 0.86.3 bug fix release very soon.

@zero9999

As a workaround, you can force madVR GPU-based subtitle color correction to always be used by setting:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gabest\xy_sub_filter\General\
RGB_CORRECTION = never

Accepted RGB_CORRECTION values are auto , always and never . By default, auto performs internal color correction only with TV.601 (subs) on TV.709 (video) and lets madVR handle other combinations. The advantage of XySubFilter's internal color correction is that its faster, since we can do it prior to bitmap rasterization without any additional GPU overhead in madVR. This is why it was made the default for the most common correction.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 7th June 2013 at 01:58.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 01:40   #19058  |  Link
kiccolsd

Quote:
Does the same problem occur if you use a different video renderer (e.g. VMR9 or EVR)?

Do you have madVR's smooth motion FRC on or off? (I'm not asking you to turn it on or off, just asking how you have configured it at the moment).
After a quick test the answer is no... with EVR no issue at all. Ill keep trying and report back with more mkvs

Smooth Motion is off.
kiccolsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 07:28   #19059  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I spoke too soon about the repeating frame bug. Still happens in the same situation. The easiest way to replicate the issue is by rapidly pressing the right (or left?) arrow.
Please create a bug entry in the madVR bug tracker for this, with a detailed description of how it looks, behaves and how to reproduce it with which madVR settings, which display refresh rate, in which mode (FSE?) etc. Thanks.

P.S: If it only occurs in FSE mode then it might already be fixed in v0.86.3. If it also occurs in other modes then this will probably not be fixed by v0.86.3 as of right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiccolsd View Post
After a quick test the answer is no... with EVR no issue at all. Ill keep trying and report back with more mkvs

Smooth Motion is off.
Does the issue occur with all scaling algorithms? Does it occur in all presentation modes (windowed, overlay, fullscreen exclusive)?

Quote:
If you think this is a madVR bug that's good news, since we still had no idea how or why madVR 0.86.2 Final was breaking XySubFilter internal color correction when it worked fine in the older 0.86.2pre test builds. When you fix this, please send me a new test build, unless you plan to push out a 0.86.3 bug fix release very soon.
I've confirmed that it's a bug in madVR. v0.86.3 will come very soon.
Old 7th June 2013, 08:10   #19060  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
The advantage of XySubFilter's internal color correction is that its faster, since we can do it prior to bitmap rasterization without any additional GPU overhead in madVR. This is why it was made the default for the most common correction.
Hmmmm... It was faster with v0.86.2, but only because madVR didn't apply subtitles in the correct PC/TV levels, when XySubFilter did the color correction. Now that I've added the fix for the incorrect levels, doing color correction inside of madVR does not cost any extra performance compared to when not doing it. Basically subtitle color correction in madVR comes for "free". Or more correctly: It doesn't come for free, but the cost is hidden because I have to do extra processing to apply the subtitles in the correct levels, anyway, and doing color correction in addition to doing levels adjustments simply doesn't cost any extra performance...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling