Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 3rd April 2010, 16:59   #7541  |  Link
gerald410

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Ugghh. My bigger concern is that people will start trying this themselves and (as is usually the case) forget to mention their "tweaking" when they tell everybody my program sucks because they're creating coasters. I can see several possible problems, example: You'll note that the settings associated with a preset include some things that are not BD compliant. So when you change it with a tweak -- you may also be making your output FUBAR by overriding some of the essential settings made by BD-RB.

So I repeat to all: If you decide to move away from the standard tools -- do so at your own risk. BD-RB outputs a compliant stream -- please leave it alone. Same for FFDSHOW versions. I don't know how many times I have said that -- but I still get about half of my bug reports from wrong versions because people are obsessed with changing versions for no reason except change itself. If I start running into headaches, the "tweak" hidden option is going to disappear quicker than a prom dress after a beer. I may also add code to make BD-RB refuse to run with untested versions of FFDSHOW and HAALI.
Understood completely any changes that I make and/or mention (at my own peril)are just FYI's certainly not recommendations. Thanks again for the great program!
gerald410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:02   #7542  |  Link
gerald410

Quote:

I'm not trying to be a jerk -- I'm just trying to save myself and a lot of other people considerable headaches.
I understand your point completely!
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:03   #7543  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Please don't take my comments wrong, I'm not trying to come across as a "know-it-all" or bully -- but I just keep running into the same issues over-and-over and it gets frustrating after a while.
I know, and I'm sorry for the extra hassle. Believe it or not, but I was only trying to help, in an ass-backwards way.

Quote:
I've decided not to remove "tweak" (yet) -- I'm just going to have to add some more commands to the "restricted" list now that the new version is out so I can prevent unintentional changes that could result in non-compliant streams.
In related news, I've now played the disc in two Samsungs, two Panasonics, three Philipses, a PS3 and a PCH C-200; it worked perfectly in all of them. A couple of the players are really old, too. Sure, it's not rock-solid proof that the disc content is 100% compliant, but surely it can't be way off either?

Quote:
One other note: You can't just add "bt709" via the "tweak" command -- because you may also have 720x480/576 on a blu-ray and they use rec.601.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. This was a one-off test, and I knew I would be encoding Main Movie only, so bt709 was fine for that.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:05   #7544  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Girls here!
Yes it would be nice to uncover that mystery, especially since I just bought two 25 pack spindles of DVD+R DL, because after 4-5 successful full movie backups to BD-9, I got excited.
Oh well, maybe a fix will be found, and if not I will find some use. Until then, movie only to BD5/9 or BD-25 for full backups.
It's pretty rare, though, and it may only apply to Sony players. If I remember correctly I ran into it in "The Watcher" -- it drove me nuts until I realized it was just a "quirk".
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:12   #7545  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
I know, and I'm sorry for the extra hassle. Believe it or not, but I was only trying to help, in an ass-backwards way.

In related news, I've now played the disc in two Samsungs, two Panasonics, three Philipses, a PS3 and a PCH C-200; it worked perfectly in all of them. A couple of the players are really old, too. Sure, it's not rock-solid proof that the disc content is 100% compliant, but surely it can't be way off either?

Yeah, I'm aware of that. This was a one-off test, and I knew I would be encoding Main Movie only, so bt709 was fine for that.
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:16   #7546  |  Link
colinhunt

For s***s and giggles, I went and picked up a really old player from storage. It's a Panasonic DMP-BD10, released in Autumn 2006. The disc plays just fine in that one as well, although it's outputting decoded DTS core as PCM; HDMI 1.0 and no support for HD audio yet in this one =)
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:07   #7547  |  Link
jdobbs

New Release of BD Rebuilder (v0.33.02, beta)

I've updated the first post of this thread with an updated link to a new version (v0.33.02) of BD-RB. Changes for this release:
Code:
- Added a new option "Other Movie-Only Ouput" to the
  MODE menu.  This allows you to create other types of
  files (rather than BD).  The current choices are for
  iPOD and iPAD (.MP4) files) and MKV output, but I 
  expect to add other choices in future releases. The 
  output to alternate formats does not attempt to reach 
  target sizes, but instead uses a fixed CRF which can 
  be set via the "ALTCRF=n" hidden parameter.  The 
  default value for ALTCRF is 21.
- Added an "Automatic Quality Settings" option to the 
  "Encoder Settings" menu.  When selected, BD-RB will
  automatically make quality selections based upon the
  type and size of output.  This option is meant to
  help avoid confusion caused by the numerous options.
  The default setting is now "ON".
- Changed default for for b-pyramid to "strict"
- Added some control code to prevent certain options
  from creating non-compliant streams.
- Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the
  latest release (r1510).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:17   #7548  |  Link
gerald410

Quote:
I've updated the first post of this thread with an updated link to a new version (v0.33.02) of BD-RB. Changes for this release:
Code:
- Added a new option "Other Movie-Only Ouput" to the
  MODE menu.  This allows you to create other types of
  files (rather than BD).  The current choices are for
  iPOD and iPAD (.MP4) files) and MKV output, but I 
  expect to add other choices in future releases. The 
  output to alternate formats does not attempt to reach 
  target sizes, but instead uses a fixed CRF which can 
  be set via the "ALTCRF=n" hidden parameter.  The 
  default value for ALTCRF is 21.
- Added an "Automatic Quality Settings" option to the 
  "Encoder Settings" menu.  When selected, BD-RB will
  automatically make quality selections based upon the
  type and size of output.  This option is meant to
  help avoid confusion caused by the numerous options.
  The default setting is now "ON".
- Changed default for for b-pyramid to "strict"
- Added some control code to prevent certain options
  from creating non-compliant streams.
- Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the
  latest release (r1510).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.

Thx for the update, will test when I get home can't wait lol
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:21   #7549  |  Link
ftb32

Thanks for updatr mi amigo jdobbs...
ftb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:30   #7550  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Added a new option "Other Movie-Only Ouput" to the MODE menu. This allows you to create other types of files (rather than BD). The current choices are for iPOD and iPAD (.MP4) files) and MKV output
Very, very cool and extremely useful, thank you. I tend to make Movie Only backups and encode any interesting extras as MKV, so this feature makes it quite a bit handier, I'm sure.
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:53   #7551  |  Link
e143slime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by e143slime8 View Post
Another movie I've run into that will not play once burned onto 25G BD-r is Red Cliff parts 1 or 2. Neither movie, once burned onto media, will not play beyond the surface menu. Plays extras but will not play the movie, gets hung up with black screen and then freezes.

This makes Wizard of Oz, Bourne Supremacy series (all 3 of the burns) and now Red Cliff parts 1 and 2. Not sure what the common thread between these movies are. Burns are all full backups, no fancy editing. Latest SlySoft used in each case.

Attempting to play on Panasonic BD60. Only thing I haven't tried is playing these on a different player.

Again, I've so far, seen no response to my posts so any help here would be appreciated. In all cases, there were no burn error messages showing either.

TIA
Jdobbs, thanks for your response elsewhere.

Am finally doing housecleaning and have tested my accumulated pile of burned, backed up to 25G Bd-r Optiplex media. Add to the list of "won't play on my Panny beyond the introduction screens", the Matrix series. So far, backed up Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolution, same results. Have not yet tried "The Matrix" itself, fearing the same results. It, for now, remains on my computer waiting a burn.

I know that if I put these to 50G media, the burn will work.

Will continue to pursue and take this batch of unplayable discs to another player to see if it's a Panny problem.

slimer8

e143slime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:51   #7552  |  Link
colinhunt

First test on v0.33.02 and something odd happened. Inspect gives "OK" for everything; no tweaks except custom size for BD-25. BD-RB running on a non-overclocked Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

Source is multiepisode anime BD50, with English and Japanese TrueHD audio and English subs.
1) Chose Movie Only
2) Chose Other Movie Only output and ticked the box for 1080p MKV.
3) To encode a single episode only, I then selected Alternate Movie Only, and chose first of the displayed playlists (00031 - 00:23:22 - 4 chapters)
4) Deselected English TrueHD.
5) Clicked Backup.

Once A/V streams were extracted, BD-RB tried to encode audio. A DOS window was kept open in the background for approx. 15 minutes for the Dolby Digital encode @ 640kbps. Progress was at 0% the whole time, but the value for "q" kept changing slightly every couple of seconds. Suddenly the DOS window disappeared (while still showing progress at 0%) and BD-RB reported it's Multiplexing M2TS. Then it reported Phase One complete and tried to enter Phase Two - Rebuild. Here's the log which shows what happened:

Code:
  - Input BD size: 4,64 GB
  - Approximate total content: [00:23:22.025]
  - Target BD size: 23,49 GB
  - Windows Version: 6.0 [6002]
  - MOVIE-ONLY/ALTERNATE OUTPUT mode enabled
  - One Pass ABR Mode enabled
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[22:26:10] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [22:26:10] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00038]
 - [22:28:28] Reencoding: VID_00038 (1 of 1)
 - [22:28:28] Collecting video information
 - [22:28:28] Keeping original video (no reencode)
 - [22:28:28] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
 - [22:42:20] Multiplexing M2TS
[22:42:20]PHASE ONE complete
[22:42:20]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
 - [22:42:20] Rebuilding stream 00038 [1 of 1]
 - [22:42:20] Building ALTERNATE OUTPUT Structure
 - ERROR in attempt to mux (MKVMERGE)
[22:43:47] - Failed to REBUILD
BD-RB seems to get a bit confused with all these demands made on it.

Last edited by colinhunt; 3rd April 2010 at 20:53.
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:29   #7553  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs
Quote:
- Added some control code to prevent certain options from creating non-compliant streams.
- Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the latest release (r1510).
Does this mean that "HD-DVD Compliant" is now (once again) compliant, despite the X264.exe version change?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:42   #7554  |  Link
Capsbackup

@jdobbs;
I updated to the new recommended ffdshow you listed on the first page, even though all was working fine for me for all movie types, but to try and get my setup to agree with your inspect tool.
Inspect tool shows:
- Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, not recommended version
- HAALI Splitter: Ok
- FFDSHOW: 3326, Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set incorrectly: [0]
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set incorrectly: [5]
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.33.0.2, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok
Since I am using XP Pro and have WMP11 installed, why does VC-1 say "set incorrectly: [0]", and what should the setting be? Do you now want VC-1 set differently if using WMP11?
What setting do you want for ffdshow for mpeg2, since I receive - "FFDSHOW MPEG2 set incorrectly: [5]"? Libmpeg2 has been my setting and has always worked, but what is your preference?
Since Avisynth 2.5.8.0 has been out for quite some time and not failed me yet, is there a reason you do not recommend it? Any testing on your part to include it in the recommended list?
I would like my setup to best match yours, so if any bugs develop, it will not be because of the setup.

EDIT:
OK, I changed FFDSHOW MPEG2 to libavcodec and it now says Ok.

Last edited by Capsbackup; 3rd April 2010 at 23:44.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 00:43   #7555  |  Link
worknstiff

Pardon me for this question but I would like to know if there is a max encoding bitrate limit. I have just started a encode with almost 4hrs and BD_RBLD says bitrate is 3683 kbs. Am I pushing into blockyness territory? Has anyone been able to quantify what the minimun bitrate is for best picture quality? Is it affected by how many action scenes the movie contains or is there just a magic number to shoot for. Sorry to interupt but would like too know before I waste my time only to find out I maybe need to trim an episode or two from the disk I'm working on. thanks Jdobbs for the great program, it's is working for me (movie only) 100% of the time.

PS: just wanted to throw in that Toy Story 2 has some kind of glitch that causes the 1:32 minute runtime to change too 1:38 after BD_RBLDR puts the 23 part mpls back together while doing a Movie Only rebuild. I tried this with Clown_BD also with the same results, but the movie plays fine and ends at the 1:32 mark even though the time says 1:38. It has no problems with audio sync or skipping. Seeya, worknstiff
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 02:57   #7556  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs

Does this mean that "HD-DVD Compliant" is now (once again) compliant, despite the X264.exe version change?
Not sure....
Old 4th April 2010, 02:59   #7557  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
@jdobbs;
I updated to the new recommended ffdshow you listed on the first page, even though all was working fine for me for all movie types, but to try and get my setup to agree with your inspect tool.
Inspect tool shows:
- Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, not recommended version
- HAALI Splitter: Ok
- FFDSHOW: 3326, Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set incorrectly: [0]
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set incorrectly: [5]
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.33.0.2, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok
Since I am using XP Pro and have WMP11 installed, why does VC-1 say "set incorrectly: [0]", and what should the setting be? Do you now want VC-1 set differently if using WMP11?
What setting do you want for ffdshow for mpeg2, since I receive - "FFDSHOW MPEG2 set incorrectly: [5]"? Libmpeg2 has been my setting and has always worked, but what is your preference?
Since Avisynth 2.5.8.0 has been out for quite some time and not failed me yet, is there a reason you do not recommend it? Any testing on your part to include it in the recommended list?
I would like my setup to best match yours, so if any bugs develop, it will not be because of the setup.

EDIT:
OK, I changed FFDSHOW MPEG2 to libavcodec and it now says Ok.
libmpeg2 should be ok too. I'll have to change the code to acknowledge that.
Old 4th April 2010, 03:06   #7558  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Once A/V streams were extracted, BD-RB tried to encode audio. A DOS window was kept open in the background for approx. 15 minutes for the Dolby Digital encode @ 640kbps. Progress was at 0% the whole time, but the value for "q" kept changing slightly every couple of seconds. Suddenly the DOS window disappeared (while still showing progress at 0%) and BD-RB reported it's Multiplexing M2TS.
The percentage complete during encode staying at 0% is normal. I'm not sure why it does that -- but it is encoding ok, so you should ignore it.

Are you sure you didn't stop the audio encode somehow? That would result in exactly the error you received.
Old 4th April 2010, 11:51   #7559  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Are you sure you didn't stop the audio encode somehow? That would result in exactly the error you received.
Yup, I'm sure. I tried to run the encode a couple of times, with exact same results.

Last edited by colinhunt; 4th April 2010 at 11:53.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:26   #7560  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yup, I'm sure. I tried to run the encode a couple of times, with exact same results.
I just tested it following your steps on one of my "Firefly" discs. It worked fine on that one. What disc are you attempting to backup? I noticed also that you said you chose the episode in 00031, but the encode was of 00038...

Last edited by jdobbs; 4th April 2010 at 12:38.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote