Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th March 2013, 13:30   #17941  |  Link
Toku

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
As I said above, most TV is interlaced. Animation should be almost always progressive (same with films and dramas).
Wow just realized you quoted me before I edited my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Note, however, that just because something is broadcast or mastered for BD as "1080i", "576i", etc. doesn't mean it's interlaced.
I'm not very knowledgeable in the subject of what is a 'true' interlaced file (I know the basics of what Interlaced means though), all I know is that an experienced encoder would not push for a 1080p encode of an Anime of which the source was mastered in an interlaced Format, (720p is usually regarded as the max in these kinds of situations, depending on the situation a lower resolution would suffice. E.g a dvd). As always there are a few exceptions.) and this has happened quite often. If these are not true examples of interlaced content then the fact that these were mastered in an interlaced format probably points to a different reason to not out a 1080p release rather than it actually being interlaced.

Last edited by Toku; 7th March 2013 at 13:49.
Toku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 13:35   #17942  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
yCMS/dispcalgui/upsilonmixer currently seem to be a real headache to get accurate results with on my plasma.
madshi has stated that he will create his own calibration solution for madVR... this year
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 13:48   #17943  |  Link
ttnuagmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
madshi has stated that he will create his own calibration solution for madVR... this year
That is exciting news for sure! But I do hope that there is at least an option for manual adjustment. The finicky nature of plasma's (my ST30 at least) seem to produce poor results with the automated LUT creation tools out there (dispcalgui/upsilonmixer). Upsilonmixer needs more options, and dispcalgui has too many options, yet doesn't have the one I need, which is the ability to have the meter read at a slower rate than default.

Last edited by ttnuagmada; 7th March 2013 at 13:50.
ttnuagmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 01:40   #17944  |  Link
ajp_anton

Opened a video, did a seek, and closed it almost immediately (IIRC, was browsing through lots of videos):
http://ajpanton.se/madVR - crash report.rar
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 06:24   #17945  |  Link
suanm

i care when madshi will begin convert 23.976 fps or 24 fps to 60fps instead of 47.95 fps or 48 fps
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 08:39   #17946  |  Link
turbojet

Wouldn't it make more sense to convert to next highest framerate thats a multiple of the refresh rate to reduce frames that need to be added?

60hz: 24/25 to 30
72hz: 25/30 to 36
75hz: 24 to 25, 30 to 37?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 09:28   #17947  |  Link
suanm

no multiple of the refresh rate,only need the same of refresh rate
60hz:23.976/24/25 fps-->60 fps
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 11:09   #17948  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
no multiple of the refresh rate,only need the same of refresh rate
60hz:23.976/24/25 fps-->60 fps
This is what smooth motion frame rate conversion does!
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 11:15   #17949  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku View Post
I'm not very knowledgeable in the subject of what is a 'true' interlaced file (I know the basics of what Interlaced means though)
It just means there is motion between each field. If a file is 25 fps interlaced, that means there are 50 points in time that are captured (half a frame each).

Quote:
all I know is that an experienced encoder would not push for a 1080p encode of an Anime of which the source was mastered in an interlaced Format, (720p is usually regarded as the max in these kinds of situations, depending on the situation a lower resolution would suffice. E.g a dvd). As always there are a few exceptions.) and this has happened quite often.
Personally I would encode 1080i/25 to 1080p/50 if I was forced to deliver a progressive file. It's the only way to not throw away temporal or spatial information. The best method is to just leave the file untouched but obviously this results in a larger file, plus a lot of people don't have their media players set up correctly for interlaced content.

Quote:
If these are not true examples of interlaced content then the fact that these were mastered in an interlaced format probably points to a different reason to not out a 1080p release rather than it actually being interlaced.
As someone else pointed out above, if the original master is 1080i then there's a few possibilities:

- It's actually 1080p/25 in a 1080i/25 "wrapper" (no motion between fields in the same frame). This is very common because neither BD nor DVD supports 25p natively. "Inverse telecine" is required.
- The material is 1080p/25 but there are some 1080i/25 graphics or something.
- The material is actually 1080i/25, which means it must've come from a 1080p/50 source (why would you only draw every other line for animation?), which has no standard delivery format yet.

Since most animation is 12,24 or 25 fps, the last option is surely the rarest. It's easy to spot though - play the source file using hardware deinterlacing (IVTC off) and step between frames. If there is a difference between each frame, it's 1080i/25. If there is only a difference between every other frame, it's 1080p/25. If there's a more complicated motion pattern then something weird is going on, like frame rate conversion, field blending from or pulldown.
Old 8th March 2013, 12:54   #17950  |  Link
Pomegranate

Dragon, does 1080p25 flagged as 1080i50 require inverse telecine? It's already progressive, any decent player will detect there is no movement in between the two fields in a frame and just weave them together, instead of bobbing each field.
Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 14:03   #17951  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
Dragon, does 1080p25 flagged as 1080i50 require inverse telecine? It's already progressive, any decent player will detect there is no movement in between the two fields in a frame and just weave them together, instead of bobbing each field.
Well playing it back as 1080p/25 is applying inverse telecine. It depends on your equipment though - as you say, a decent player will notice the lack of motion between adjacent even & odd fields and play it correctly. I know when using hardware deinterlacing on my nVidia GTS250 that it plays 1080p/25 in a 1080i/25 wrapper as 1080p/50 with every other frame being identical to the previous frame (which is essentially IVTC).
Old 8th March 2013, 15:40   #17952  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

anyone got any comparisons between Qdeo, or VXP chip upscaling and post processing vs. madVR, avisynth and ffdshow?
really wanna know what performs better..
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:54   #17953  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
anyone got any comparisons between Qdeo, or VXP chip upscaling and post processing vs. madVR, avisynth and ffdshow?
really wanna know what performs better..
I don't have any av receiver equiped with Qdeo, VXP or Abt chipset. But the Sony 65HX920 builtin scaler does not perform as good as madVR Jinc3 + AR on 1280x720p anime contents displayed at 1920x1080p. It is still quite easy to tell the object edge's difference on such 65" panel viewed about 2.5 ~ 2.8m away.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 19:30   #17954  |  Link
fallengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Great news indead
fallengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 21:27   #17955  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Talking about CMS, page 53 in the user manual of this mastering grade 25" OLED monitor looks pretty bad *ss: Sony BVME250 Trimaster EL™ OLED Master Monitor

It can load LUT's from a thumb drive and provides a "Nonlinear Cubic Conversion color management system", whatever that means...but I'd love to have it in mVR too

Last edited by leeperry; 8th March 2013 at 21:31.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 02:37   #17956  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Talking about CMS, page 53 in the user manual of this mastering grade 25" OLED monitor looks pretty bad *ss: Sony BVME250 Trimaster EL™ OLED Master Monitor

It can load LUT's from a thumb drive and provides a "Nonlinear Cubic Conversion color management system", whatever that means...but I'd love to have it in mVR too
You should buy it and then take a picture of it with madVR running on it. Then we'll all feel like buying it and pretty soon Sony will be get millions of dollars from people in this thread that are buying this monitor.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 06:42   #17957  |  Link
ttnuagmada

Quote:

I think that's just a fancy way of describing a 3dlut.

The main problem that I've experienced, is that here are a limited amount of ways that you can make a 3dlut to work with MadVR, and that those methods are sketchy at best when using a plasma. Programs like Calman or LightSpace can make them for video processor's or monitors like the one you linked, but not for MadVR yet. However, I asked Calman's lead developer if adding MadVR support in the future is something they might consider, and he said it's a possibility. I imagine they'd be more inclined to do it if more people showed interest.
ttnuagmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 08:13   #17958  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Aside form all its prowess, it uses 145 Watts for a 25" monitor; Thats a lot.

Weren't we all told that OLED TV's/Monitors would use little energy? OLED is put in the market as the superior technology in that field. I don't see it here though ...
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 11:09   #17959  |  Link
DragonQ

It's very early days though, things like that will obviously improve over the years.
Old 9th March 2013, 14:18   #17960  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

well the sony oled display has been on the market for almost 2 year, I imagine things have changed a bit....
there is no info on energy use for the 55inch LG 55EM9700 yet, I guess we'll have to wait until they deliver the panels to get more info...
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling