Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 27th June 2006, 15:57   #101  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

Hi All,

Ive baught myself a new (my first) DL burner (Pioneer 111D) for my upcomming birthday (who's a lucky boy ;-) this weekend and have been collecting firmwares and a small stockpile of Verbatim +R DL media in preperation

Ive been keeping some 5+ GB ISO's on my HTPC, which i created with dvd decrypter's READ-ISO (and anydvd in the background).. Upon doing some research into the burning aspect, I unfortunatly rather foolishly deleted the MDS files (sigh) having never needed them (and ignored LUK's numerous warnings) in the past .

In reading, it seems I have two choices when it comes to burning these MDS-less ISO's onto DL media:

1. Use imgburn by itself and go with its 'calculate optimal' for the layerbreak, click burn and hope im burning a good disc and not just my cash! :-) or;
2. Mount the ISO's and work with PCGedit as if they were ripped files and go about creating a brand-new ISO's with correctly determined layerbreaks.

At this point I havent mounted the ISO's to see if they have a cell flagged with a layerbreak which Im assuming imgburn would find and recalculate the correct sector based on the flagged cell - which I assume would mean I could use method 1 above?

Your advice (including some mandatory 'your an idiot for deleting the MDS files!' would be very welcomed!

Cheers,

Bitey
Old 27th June 2006, 16:09   #102  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit can't modify the IFOs on a mounted image, and therefore cannot burn the files directly. If you want to create an ISO with PgcEdit, you will have to copy the DVD files in an HD folder first.
But if you have the original ISO, ImgBurn should be able to find the original LB cell and propose it in its LB selection dialog. Try it!
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 06:37   #103  |  Link
ux-3

I have to report a strange problem which occured when burning a DL disk with the PGCedit & IMGburn combo. The DL disk contains 7 episodes. I have done a trace, to skip initial stuff and go right to the main menu. When starting the burn from PGCedit, I have the choice of two green layer break positions, one before episode 4 and one before episode 5. (lots of room still, so 4 can be on either layer). I followed the suggested LB choice. I later checked that indeed the LB is at the same position as the LB of the source.

Now here is the result: The disk plays fine up to Episode 3. On a Sony standalone DVD-PLAYER, it plays fine all through.
On a Sony standalone DVD-HD-RECORDER, 4 doesn't start and 5 to 7 enter about 2 minutes delayed.

I am trying to figure out whats wrong. I wonder if I accidentally deleted something instead of just skipping it.

I also did the next disk the same way and it plays fine.

Could this be caused by a bad burn? Why does it shift entry though?

Thanks for help
greetings
ux-3

Edit: used 7.2
ux-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 07:14   #104  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Sounds like a bad burn. Have you looked at it on CD-DVD Speed/DVDInfoPro?

What media you using?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 07:36   #105  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
On a Sony standalone DVD-PLAYER, it plays fine all through.
On a Sony standalone DVD-HD-RECORDER, 4 doesn't start and 5 to 7 enter about 2 minutes delayed.
I'd speculate that it's simply a case of your Sony standalone DVD-HD-RECORDER being less capable of playing your burned DL media than your Sony standalone DVD-PLAYER.

Just curious, what DL media did you burn and at what speed?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 07:59   #106  |  Link
ux-3

Yes, I am suspecting the media as well. I scanned the disk using plextools but there are no signs of a bad burn there. Its genuine Ricoh DL 2.4x, not relabled, burned at 4x. I have done that before, but won't do it again.

I sampled all drives in the house and found more evidence to media problems. While all the readers can read it, some burners can't. I figure, this makes it a case for the media department.

greetings
ux-3
Old 30th June 2006, 09:23   #107  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

For mine, stick with Verbatims, at 2.4x. They seem to have the least problems.

Regards

Old 30th June 2006, 09:56   #108  |  Link
frank
Banned

Set the Book Type to DVD-ROM!
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 22:58   #109  |  Link
ux-3

plex defaults to that
Old 1st July 2006, 14:14   #110  |  Link
Mr.Bitey

r0lZ,

Thanks for the reply, i realise now im in the wrong thread/subforum for my query...

I'll give it a shot.. ive got blutach's excellent guide to fall back on if it all turns pear-shaped :-)

Cheers,
Bitey
Old 5th July 2006, 21:54   #111  |  Link
vandienk

OK... here's the thing. I have already bought Verbatim DVD+R DL and now I am about to burn my first DVD and I definitely do NOT want it to be a coaster. So I have a few questions. 1) I have created the .iso with PGCEDit setting the layer break suggested by the appz. Now, I have opened ImgBurn to burn the iso, I have written the ABSOLUTE SECTOR layer break given by the log at the setting of ImgBurn. Is that ok? Or should I let the program do it all on its own? 2) According to the disc (media) specs given by ImgBurn, the minimum write speed is 2,4, but the options give me 1; 2; 2,4; etc. As I want the DVD to be played everywhere, which do you think is the best write speed? 3) It's also been recommended that the booktype should be changed to DVD-ROM, but ImgBurn DOES NOT list my brand of burner (Pioneer 109). What should I do there?
Thanxs a lot Pals
vandienk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2006, 22:11   #112  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
It's also been recommended that the booktype should be changed to DVD-ROM, but ImgBurn DOES NOT list my brand of burner (Pioneer 109). What should I do there?
The Pioneer 109 AUTOMATICALLY sets the booktype to "DVD-ROM" when it detects DL DVD+R media...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 09:34   #113  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandienk
1) I have created the .iso with PGCEDit setting the layer break suggested by the appz. Now, I have opened ImgBurn to burn the iso, I have written the ABSOLUTE SECTOR layer break given by the log at the setting of ImgBurn. Is that ok? Or should I let the program do it all on its own?
It's OK, but it is easier to burn directly from PgcEdit. This way, the LB sector is passed to ImgBurn directly by PgcEdit, and you don't have to specify it.
To burn an image already created on HDD, you can specify the LB sector manually, as you did, but take care: if you enter a wrong number, you will certainly burn a coaster. Also, don't forget to reset the setting to "calculate optimal" after the burn!
You can also leave the ImgBurn setting to "calculate optimal". If, per chance, there are several cells suitable for the layer break in the ISO, ImgBurn will open its own LB selection dialog, and you should be able to select the same cell again.

Quote:
2) According to the disc (media) specs given by ImgBurn, the minimum write speed is 2,4, but the options give me 1; 2; 2,4; etc. As I want the DVD to be played everywhere, which do you think is the best write speed?
PgcEdit doesn't know your burner and media, and therefore cannot guess which write speed is really available. If you select a wrong speed, another one will be used.
I burn generally at 4x, but for a double layer, it might be better to burn at 2x.
Old 6th July 2006, 12:48   #114  |  Link
vandienk

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
It's OK, but it is easier to burn directly from PgcEdit. This way, the LB sector is passed to ImgBurn directly by PgcEdit, and you don't have to specify it.
Let's assume, I choose this option. How do I do it? Because right after PgcEdit finishes setting the layer break and creating the .iso image, the popped-up window to launch ImgBurn directly from it closes and only the log window with all the commands and operations of PgcEdit is open.

Quote:
To burn an image already created on HDD, you can specify the LB sector manually, as you did, but take care: if you enter a wrong number, you will certainly burn a coaster.
I was suggested here that the number to enter manually at those settings should be the ABSOLUTE SECTOR number suggested by the log window after the setting the layer break step. Is that right?

Quote:
Also, don't forget to reset the setting to "calculate optimal" after the burn!
Where do I do that?

Quote:
You can also leave the ImgBurn setting to "calculate optimal". If, per chance, there are several cells suitable for the layer break in the ISO, ImgBurn will open its own LB selection dialog, and you should be able to select the same cell again.
Does this mean that if I don't set anything MYSELF and just go to the next steps as they appear on the appz, it just burns the DL on its own for what it believes it's OPTIMAL?

Quote:
PgcEdit doesn't know your burner and media, and therefore cannot guess which write speed is really available. If you select a wrong speed, another one will be used.
I burn generally at 4x, but for a double layer, it might be better to burn at 2x.
OK... This one I got it...

Sorry to ask you so many question, pal. But as you gave many options to work with here, I don't wanna mess and see if I can really burn it right this time. Thanxs a lot!!!!
Old 6th July 2006, 13:12   #115  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandienk
Let's assume, I choose this option. How do I do it? Because right after PgcEdit finishes setting the layer break and creating the .iso image, the popped-up window to launch ImgBurn directly from it closes and only the log window with all the commands and operations of PgcEdit is open.
You have to tick the option to burn with ImgBurn. It will be launched automatically by PgcEdit.

Quote:
I was suggested here that the number to enter manually at those settings should be the ABSOLUTE SECTOR number suggested by the log window after the setting the layer break step. Is that right?
Yes.

Quote:
Where do I do that?
in the ImgBurn settings. You have changed the setting to specify the layer break sector number, therefore you have to reset the ImgBurn settings to the default value after the burn.

Quote:
Does this mean that if I don't set anything MYSELF and just go to the next steps as they appear on the appz, it just burns the DL on its own for what it believes it's OPTIMAL?
Currently, ImgBurn cannot modify the layout of the files in the compilation, because it burns only ISO images. So, the layer break cannot be properly set by ImgBurn. This is why you need PgcEdit.

However, if you burn an image with at least one cell that is properly aligned and therefore can be used for the layer break, ImgBurn will use it if the optimal setting is selected. As I said, if there are several cells, it will ask you which one you want to use.

In the other hand, if you specify the layer break sector (either manually or by launching ImgBurn from PgcEdit), it will use the specified sector anyway, and the layer break selection dialog will not be shown.

Quote:
Sorry to ask you so many question, pal. But as you gave many options to work with here, I don't wanna mess and see if I can really burn it right this time. Thanxs a lot!!!!
You're welcome.
Old 12th July 2006, 01:00   #116  |  Link
vandienk

Hi pals...
It's me again. I have a new question... PgcEdit gives me ALL these cells as possible layer break setting. Which one should I choose?

Old 12th July 2006, 01:33   #117  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Sadly I can't see the pic at a decent size when I click on it. But if you read the guide and the text below the window with the choices, you will get more than a clue. Greens are entry cells and are the best.

Please read the guide and the prog.

Regards

Old 12th July 2006, 01:43   #118  |  Link
vandienk

Thanxs Blutach.
My problem is that it gives me many green cells (all the ones at the top). And One of them is in the root title. Is it OK if I choose that one?
Old 12th July 2006, 10:16   #119  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

I am not sure what a root title is. If you mean the root menu, then it would seem reasonable, so long as your main movie title doesn't break at an aesthetically bad place.

Regards

Old 3rd August 2006, 19:57   #120  |  Link
hsvham

DL-DVDs Lock Up on Standalone Player

I have just begun using the PgcEdit/ImgBurn tools to make DL backups, and am seeing problems with *a few* (usually two or three) player lockups (I can usually get past these by advancing to the next chapter) when using my old Sony NS325 standalone player. However all of these backups seem to play perfectly on the DVD player in another computer (not the one I used to burn the backup).

My process: rip the original disc using DVD Decrypter. Open the ripped files in PgcEdit and write an ISO file using the suggested defaults, letting PgcEdit launch to ImgBurn to burn the DL backup disc at 2X on a NEC 3550 DL writer. I am currently using Memorex DVD+R-DL media.

My computer-based DVD player seems to play thru all these "trouble areas" just fine, while my older Sony NS325P player has the problems with the backups.

I have attempted four backups, the first one had a lockup just a few minutes into the disc (right at a menu action, as I recall) so I burned another one and it seemed to play OK. The next backup seems to be all OK. The 3rd backup had a single "grouping" of lockups at about 66 min. into the main program. The 4th backup had three groups of lockups, two of which were located at 61 min. and at 98 min. into the program.

It does not seem that my problems can be correlated with layer break, because they are happening at such a wide variety of places on the disc. I know about the reported problems with Memorex DL media. Why does my computer DVD player play these DL backups just fine while the Sony does not? I have already ordered some Verbatim DL media, but it is not yet in-hand to try.

Am I doing the right thing by just letting PgcEdit and ImgBurn use all the default / suggested options?

Any other suggestions (besides getting some Verbatim media and maybe a newer standalone DVD player)?

hsvham
hsvham is offline   Reply With Quote