Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 20th October 2004, 06:33   #1  |  Link
snickny

Ripping, editing, and reburning

So I have a little task I am wandering if anyone can help me with. Basically this is what I am trying to do:

1. Rip the video off a DVD so that I can edit the audio and video using Adobe Premiere or some other program that someone knows is good for something like this. The problem is I want the video to be as high quality as possible to do what is at the end of my project.

2. the ripped audio and video I want to edit, take out a scene, mute sound, ect. Then I want to burn it back to a DVD. But I do not want the quality of the video to be any less then it was originally on the DVD before editing.

Does anyone know what I could do or at least get real close to the original quality?
snickny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 06:55   #2  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

hi and welcome to the forum,
basically it depends on what exactly you want to do; if you just want to delete a couple of scenes and remove an audio stream (did i get this right?) - then you can do all of this with vob editing tools, no editing with anything like premiere required. as soon as you want to change anything else in the video, any task that requires premiere for example, you will have to reencode the video and therefore loose some quality...

kr
steVe
Old 20th October 2004, 07:27   #3  |  Link
snickny

Thanks for responding so quickly,

Ya basically I want to mute some words in the video. Since I do have to re encode it what would be the best way to rip the video and then re encode it with the least amount of quality lost?

what I have been doing is just getting the video in MPEG 2 format from A-1 DVD Ripper and then in Premiere buring it back to a DVD. I am hoping there is a better way.
Old 20th October 2004, 09:33   #4  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

you want to mute some words? like cut out some bad words so your kids can watch it?

if so, your video can stay untouched and you can just decode, edit and reencode the audio...

steVe
Old 20th October 2004, 18:11   #5  |  Link
snickny

Ya that is exactly it. Now how do I go about decoding, and then recoding. Is there a guide on here for jsut that.

Thanks.
Old 20th October 2004, 21:50   #6  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

nope... not really, that's not what i'd call a common problem...

anyway, it greatly depends on a couple of factors:
a) what exactly is your source (DVD5 or DVD9)
b) what do you want to keep (menu etc)
c) what format is the audio stream in question
d) what commercial programs do you have and what programs do you have experience in?!
e) how much time are you willing to put into this project

if e) is not as little as possible (or even less) and you give me details about the other points, i (aswell as a lot of other forums members of course) will of course be more than happy to help you get everything done...

kr
steVe
Old 20th October 2004, 22:30   #7  |  Link
snickny

a. I am not quite sure about the source or how to determine that. It is a movie DVD I own.

b. I really only want the video since I have all the other stuff like extras on the original DVD of mine. If possible keeping the main menu would be nice.

c. Again I am not sure how to find the aido stream, but again it is a movie DVD.

d. I have been using Premiere for editing for a long time. Of rippers I have used Smart Ripper, A-1 DVD Ripper, and have just been dabbling into DVD rebuild. But I am willing to look into getting what program is needed.

e. However long it takes.

By the way, I think this forum is great. The help is just awesome.
Old 21st October 2004, 20:20   #8  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

a) it being a commerical dvd movie it should be a dvd9 most likey... even if it really is a dvd5 it doesn't really matter

b) makes things much easier if you discard of anything, but the video

c) most dvd movies contain ac3 soundtrack, seldomly pcm is included, although this mostly happens on concert dvds....

d) ok... programs you might take a look into:
- dvddecrypter (imho the best program to rip the dvd to your hd)
- besweet (to create a pcm/wav audio track of your ac3 file)
- cooledit 2 (or some other audio editor)
- dvdlab to put the pieces back together!

anyway, i wouldn't consider this an easy task... 'silencing' short parts of the audio track, reencoding it, and reauthoring the whole thing will take a while and quite a lot of manual work...
Old 22nd October 2004, 01:09   #9  |  Link
snickny

I am willing to try. I really enjoy doing stuff like this. Whatever help you can do would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd October 2004, 20:23   #10  |  Link
snickny

So I have been able to get all the way to after editing the audio. I have gotten it to 48 khz, or whatever. Now I just need to use DVD lab to put it togethor but am having some difficulty. How exactly do I Import just the video from the DVD, after using DVD Decriptor. What setting do I need to use on Decryptor to get just teh video and no audio so I can then put in the new audio?
Old 23rd October 2004, 08:12   #11  |  Link
snickny

Well Mission accomplished!! It didn't take as long as I thought either. Thanks for the help.
Old 23rd October 2004, 11:05   #12  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

great to hear you figured it out! wasn't too bad in the end was it?!

cheers