Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st March 2016, 01:43   #36981  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul
Hi baii, thanks for your idea, it seemed to work. Last night I reset madvr to default settings and set everything like I had before but the queues which I left at default and I saw an entire movie without a problem.

I'm glad to hear the problem seems to be solved. It would still be interesting to know why it occurred, though. Can you pinpoint the exact madVR build which introduced the problem?
Hi madshi, I know for sure that the problem of black screens is present in 90.13, 90.14 and 90.15 beacuse I have done many tests. I need a week or two to pinpoint exactly the version in which it was introduced bacause I have not tested older versions yet and it takes some time beacuse they occur at random (even after 50 minutes of playback, so I test it with a movie)

I really appreciate your hard work.

Best regards from Argentina.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 06:36   #36982  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
anime is using cadence way lower than 24 fps.
so there are repeated frames in there and an interpolation algorithm can't interpolate with them.
so you get interpolation between different frames and nothing between the repeated ones. which is just a mess.
Seems like a case of where Smooth Motion would be worth while then.
But personally I have no issues with frame interpolation on most anime content.. so it can't be as bad as you say.. I have a fairly low tolerance for the "soap opera effect"

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there is a reason that SVP should be setup in a way that it only interpolates pannings not moving character.
I've seen no such options when looking at the wiki.

There will be a fair amount of users that will get in their opinion smoother more natural results when using Smooth Motion, you just happen to have a good TV which makes it an unfair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sure, maybe you can ask God to increase my daily hours from 24 to 48?
Didn't think it would be that much work, not just a case of changing the line detection routines then? Oh well.

Last edited by ryrynz; 21st March 2016 at 06:38.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 09:58   #36983  |  Link
adhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I don't think that matters. The examples presented are just for demonstration for someone who uses a GTS 450. You don't need to take my advice on what the best settings are. This would vary widely depending on the GPU you own.
Ok I understand. Thx
adhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 11:59   #36984  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
More on the anti-ringing changes, here are a couple of other test patterns:Looking at these with Catmull-Rom +AR +LL, comparing 0.89.18 (oldest build I had on my machine) and 0.90.13, I'm actually seeing a bit more ringing in the new builds.
Aliasing doesn't seem to be a problem though, just ringing.

Looking near the center of Zone Plate A:And the lower-left corner:
Patterns were scaled to 952x714 - just what the MPC-HC window scaled it to when snapped to the side of my 1080p screen.
Thanks. I've revisited the whole downscaling once more, with lots of changes. See announcement post of the next build. Hope you'll have fun & time to retest!

BTW, I was searching for a post from you about the new method to downscale chroma directly to the target resolution being very damaging for image quality, with a screenshot of a chroma test pattern. But I can't find that post, anymore. Did you delete it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Yes, the issue was introduced in 0.90.4. But my issue decription was incorrect, sorry. When clicking on the time scale, it takes a few secs for the player to react. Then the playback continues (both with 0.90.3 and 0.90.4+), but with 0.90.4+, the player stops responding to controls.
To be precise, I was able to reproduce the issue on 0.90.3 a couple of times, too, when I clicked on the time scale again too early (i. e. before the playback resumes after my previous click), but it is rarely. With 0.90.4+, the issue is always reproducible.
Freeze reports: 0.90.4, 0.90.3
Hope it will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Px View Post
http://www.cs.iptcom.net/tmp/full-logs-9.0.15.7z - uploaded debug logs along with fresh crash log
Thanks. I hope to have this fixed in the next build. If not, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi, using 2d ssim causes a lot of dropped frames for me. In the stats its listed twice (like this 'ssim 2d100 ar < ssim 2d100 ar') and render times go way up. 1d ssim works fine and is listed in the stats only once as expected. Is that normal for 2d?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Here you go. Seems to only happen when supersampling 1080p > 1080p. Works as expected when doubling eg 720p and downscaling to 1080p.

http://imgur.com/vrtHks6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Can confirm that on my OSD too. Something's amiss. I think it's just the OSD though.
Quote:
madshi, this will probably be addressed regarding the OSD, but Jinc AR shows up in the OSD when supersampling and downscaling using Jinc with no AR. It shows Image doubler = Jinc AR < Jinc.
Oooh. That's a bug, which actually cost performance. Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I use forced film mode. It seems that decoder queue and ivtc queue limit the other queues, it never fills completely. But the moment I have dropped frames is when render queue drops down.
I tested DXVA and it's not really better. Decoder queue go higher than before but I also have dropped frames when render queue drops down.

Here some videos of my tests, I hope it will be usefull and easier for you to understand.

http://www.filedropper.com/testdeinterlacing1_1

(It's the first time I'm using this file hosting website, I don't know what it worths).
Unfortunately the download link doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Higher GPU queue doesn't help because it's limited by the decoder that's never filled.
Oh, did you mention that before? How fast is your CPU? Have you tried DXVA copyback decoding as an alternative to software decoding?

Are you using automatic black bar detection? If so, does disabling that workaround the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
There is a bug when upscaling or downscaling with spline 4 taps with the newest madVR versions. The image is pixelated when using spline with 4 taps.
Thanks for the report, stupid bug, will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
When using MadVR with XySubFilter to display subtitles outside of the video area with the option "move subtitles to bottom of the screen/window" of the "zoom control" menu, when an italic subtitle appears (<i> tag), the italic subtitle and all the following subtitles are displayed into active video area.
Quote:
The settings : settings.reg

The subtitles : subtitles.srt

Subtitle n°60 :

Subtitle n°61 :

I'm using MPC-HC internal subtitles renderer for now because it doesn't have this bug, but I hope it can be fixed, because the subtitles look better with XySubFilter.
I need to be able to reproduce the problem. Unfortunately the download links don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I believe there is an issue with the way that level adjustments and gamma corrections are being processed.

I have a few Blu-rays here which have badly encoded levels, resulting in a washed-out image.
To be displayed correctly, they need black level and white level adjustments, which I've applied using filename tags.
This works fine for full-screen playback, where I do not use any gamma correction.

However in windowed mode, I tell madVR that my display's gamma is 2.60 and have it set to use a 1.80 power curve - windowed mode is about clarity for me, not accuracy.
When applying this gamma correction, the letterboxing - and the video itself - ends up looking very washed-out again.

What should be happening is that the level adjustments are applied first, so that the letterboxing is made black, and then the gamma adjustment is applied - so it should look something like this instead.
To create that image, I just displayed the level-corrected screenshot in madVR using my typical windowed mode settings.

I thought that something was "off" about the way that the gamma correction behaved for a while now, but these Blu-rays with very badly encoded levels are what prompted me to investigate exactly what was happening.
Oh yes, that was a bug. Should be fixed in the next build. But would be great if you could double check - with both YCbCr and RGB sources, both fullrange and limited range, just to be extra safe that all the math is correct now. Thanks!

BTW, no need to do those fancy gamma tricks. Just increase brightness in "color & gamma". That should have the same effect, without you having to lie about your true display gamma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf6 View Post
I cant seem to enable Direct 3d 11 for presentation. Checked all the relevant boxes, but Ctrl-j still gives me D3D9.
Windows 7? Make sure you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed. Also Aero / desktop composition must be active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
When I first launch the playback of a movie (usually BD Folders), MPC-BE is launched by MyMovies and stops with a window saying "MPC-BE has stopped working", over the black screen which is, I assume, the full screen of MPC-BE.
Have you tried a different media player to see if it might be media player specific? The crash you're describing is seemingly not being detected by madVR's own crash handler. Which means that there's a good chance the crash doesn't occur inside of madVR's code. It could still be my fault, or not. Can't say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
can anyone enlighten me about the option "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step"?

Im using lumasharpening default and i want to know if that option disable the sharpening on some videos or not.
That option has the purpose of applying sharpening multiple times, maybe, if you zoom up *a lot*. That option should never result in less sharpening being applied, but more (or same).

Quote:
Didn't think it would be that much work, not just a case of changing the line detection routines then? Oh well.
It's not that simple.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 12:11   #36985  |  Link
retrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrue View Post
I am using last development versions of MPC-HC and LAVFilters.
I updated yesterday from madVR 0.9010 to 0.9015. When I try to play videos I get sound but not image, not in window mode, neither in fullscreen (curiously, with the last version of PotPlayer+MadVR I have image in fullscreen mode but not in window mode). This happens with vids at 1080p and codec H264. It doesn't happen with vids at 480p and codec H264.
The problem appears with version 0.9011. I have returned to madVR 0.9010 and the problem has disappeared.

Can you please try to reset the madVR settings to default? Does the problem still occur? Which OS and GPU are you using?

Originally Posted by retrue View Post
Image doubling: double luma (64 neurons) and double chroma (32 neurons), always if upscaling is needed.
But with version madvr 0.9010 I don't have problems.

"always if upscaling is needed" was changed to "always - 2x supersampling". I'm considering allowing both options in the next build to avoid the problem the two of you have.
Yup, that was the problem. Thanks. Choosing "Double luma resolution - only if scaling factor is 1.2x or bigger" solved the problem. I was playing a 1080p h264 mkv video on a 1920x1080 monitor. But yes, it it would be nice if the old option "always if upscaling is needed" is added again.
I have a i4770 processor with an onld Nvidia 9800GT card. I had intention to change it but I cannot afford it at the moment.
retrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 13:20   #36986  |  Link
RDJ

In JRiver the subtitles are being cropped along with the black bars.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...topic=103731.0
RDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 13:50   #36987  |  Link
fluffy01

I can't get madVR to detect the stereoscopic flags in a non-MVC 3D-file, so I assume, that you have not made it use these flags yet?
I just wanted to know if this was intentional, or you simply forgot?

Also, if there could be a keyboard toggle to manually switch between the different stereoscopic modes, like there is for pretty much everything else already?
fluffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 16:37   #36988  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
MKV offers an option to overwrite the video aspect ratio. Have you tried that? I'm not sure if the splitter, or madVR accept that overwrite, though. If it works, you wouldn't have to reencode, you'd just have to edit the MKV header with mkvtoolnix. Which is btw a much cleaner solution than using file name tags, because it should work in every player which properly supports MKV. And it would save me development time...
Ok, I tried using mkvtoolnix and it works without re-encoding mkv files. However, some of the Youtube downloaded mp4 files too have incorrect aspect ratio, which I will probably have to re-encode to mkv. But those files are not really important and I don’t mind re-encoding them.

By the way, for videos with badly encoded levels, it is easier to find the black level adjustment needed, but is there any way to find the correct white level adjustment? Or is it just done by trial and judging by eyes?
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 17:19   #36989  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:

I've never seen an Optimus system myself, but it seems to be troublesome. What does the OSD (Ctrl+J) show when this micro stuttering occurs? Are there are frame drops or glitches reported? Does that micro stuttering occur all the time, or just once in a while? Is it one stutter every couple of seconds? Or a little stuttering "every frame"? Reclock sometimes helps, but sometimes also causes such issues. I'd try without for now, to make sure it doesn't introduce more problems than it solves.

was micro sttuter on some random scenes, some are reporterd presentation glitche s some not
like 7 presentation glitches on 50 minutes playing...
testing more i solve this checking the option use a separate device for presentantion... and mpc-hc internal audio renderer exclusive mode
now the movies are very smooth with some normal flickering

btw what this option use separate device to presentation does?
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 17:49   #36990  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy01 View Post
I can't get madVR to detect the stereoscopic flags in a non-MVC 3D-file, so I assume, that you have not made it use these flags yet?
I just wanted to know if this was intentional, or you simply forgot?

Also, if there could be a keyboard toggle to manually switch between the different stereoscopic modes, like there is for pretty much everything else already?
Currently only MVC 3D files are supported. Other formats are played as is (meaning madVR treats them as 2D). Support for side-by-side and maybe top-and-bottom hard coded files is planned for a future version.

Not sure what the sense of toggling 3D *output* modes would be? Ideally you should leave the setting at "auto". The other options are for displays which need them. Toggling doesn't really make any sense there, as far as I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Ok, I tried using mkvtoolnix and it works without re-encoding mkv files. However, some of the Youtube downloaded mp4 files too have incorrect aspect ratio, which I will probably have to re-encode to mkv. But those files are not really important and I don’t mind re-encoding them.
Most probably you can simply remux those files to MKV without reencoding them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
By the way, for videos with badly encoded levels, it is easier to find the black level adjustment needed, but is there any way to find the correct white level adjustment? Or is it just done by trial and judging by eyes?
I would usually assume that the same adjustment for black levels also needs to applied for white levels (inverse, of course). But I don't really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
was micro sttuter on some random scenes, some are reporterd presentation glitche s some not
like 7 presentation glitches on 50 minutes playing...
testing more i solve this checking the option use a separate device for presentantion... and mpc-hc internal audio renderer exclusive mode
now the movies are very smooth with some normal flickering

btw what this option use separate device to presentation does?
Good to hear that solved it for you!

With that option activated madVR creates 2 separate Direct3D devices, and uses one for rendering and one for presentation. This is usually beneficial (or at least not harmful) for playback reliability and smoothness. But some GPU drivers or dual GPU setups don't like this option and just render a black screen. That's why it's disabled by default, although it's usually beneficial.
Old 21st March 2016, 18:33   #36991  |  Link
fluffy01

Quote:
Currently only MVC 3D files are supported. Other formats are played as is (meaning madVR treats them as 2D). Support for side-by-side and maybe top-and-bottom hard coded files is planned for a future version.
That is good to hear. Just wasn't sure if you had forgotten it.
Quote:
Not sure what the sense of toggling 3D *output* modes would be? Ideally you should leave the setting at "auto". The other options are for displays which need them. Toggling doesn't really make any sense there, as far as I can see.
I didn't mean the output mode. I meant the input mode. So in case I encoded a file as for example SBS, but didn't add the proper flag, I could just manually tell madVR that the video is a SBS-encoded 3D-file, without having to remux it.

But this would not be needed until you add support for the above mentioned modes (SBS/TAB/etc.).

Last edited by fluffy01; 21st March 2016 at 18:42. Reason: Clarification
fluffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 18:36   #36992  |  Link
Neo-XP

Subtitles position

@madshi as requested.

The context : when using MadVR with XySubFilter to display subtitles outside of the video area with the option "move subtitles to bottom of the screen/window" of the "zoom control" menu, when an italic subtitle appears (<i> tag), the italic subtitle and all the following subtitles (italic or not) are displayed into active video area.

MadVR settings : settings.reg

Subtitle n°1 :

Subtitle n°2 :

Tell me if you need any more details to reproduce the problem.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 18:53   #36993  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy01 View Post
I didn't mean the output mode. I meant the input mode.
Ah ok.

Quote:
The context : when using MadVR with XySubFilter to display subtitles outside of the video area with the option "move subtitles to bottom of the screen/window" of the "zoom control" menu, when an italic subtitle appears (<i> tag), the italic subtitle and all the following subtitles (italic or not) are displayed into active video area.

MadVR settings : settings.reg

Thanks, I can reproduce it now. From what I can see, I will need to fix this in XySubFilter, not in madVR...
Old 21st March 2016, 21:37   #36994  |  Link
XTrojan

will ripping movies with MakeMKV keep the subtitle positions or do I need to rip them to .iso or .m2ts with tsmuxer in order for MadVR to playback 3D subtitles properly?
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 21:50   #36995  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Ive been testing ripped BDs which are 24 and playing them all on 60 using JRiver/madvr.

Ive been trying the three smooth motion settings, only when judder, only when exact frame match, and always on. They all seem to have an occasional skipped frame on the features which are all 24.
I have been playing over and over a part in a movie and notice this on all three settings, even off!
When I go back and change back to 24 the skipped frames are no longer there. Now this isn’t happening every minute, but it does happen ever so often...

Is there anything you can think of that might fix this when Im playing 24 features at 60?
I have the 970 card, and all of the settings set to the lowest NEED13 set to 16.

I want to play at card set to 60Hz as many others here do and say its so much smoother than at 24.

BTW. The person who built the PC for me added JRiver and madvr, they may have played round with some of the settings..
Is there a way to reset madvr back to its default settings?

Last edited by 70MM; 21st March 2016 at 22:06.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 21:56   #36996  |  Link
alf6

Windows 7? Make sure you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed. Also Aero / desktop composition must be active.

Thanks for replying Aero was to blame, had not activated it.
Went from bad to worse though. When checking DX11 and playing a movie now now i get a black screen (file gets opened though, I can see the timer going off )

Im running the latest MPC-HC with the latest mad-vr(09015) on the latest NVIDIA(364.51) drivers on Windows 7.

Every mad-vr option on default except dx9/dx11
alf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:37   #36997  |  Link
AngelGraves13

madshi, will you be adding "sigmoidal light" to chroma and downscaling as well?

Also, has any further work been done on the debanding filter to target pixelation?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:48   #36998  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Have you tried a different media player to see if it might be media player specific? The crash you're describing is seemingly not being detected by madVR's own crash handler. Which means that there's a good chance the crash doesn't occur inside of madVR's code. It could still be my fault, or not. Can't say for sure.
I've tried with EVR-CP and it never crashes, it only crashes with MadVR selected as the renderer, but I agree that as the software crashing is MPC-BE and not MadVR it's not 100% conclusive.

I'll test with MPC-HC and I'll report.

By the way, I'm using all 64bits apps, in case it matters.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 01:06   #36999  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
madshi, will you be adding "sigmoidal light" to chroma and downscaling as well?
you can't use that on chroma.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:51   #37000  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Ive been testing ripped BDs which are 24 and playing them all on 60 using JRiver/madvr.

Ive been trying the three smooth motion settings, only when judder, only when exact frame match, and always on. They all seem to have an occasional skipped frame on the features which are all 24.
I have been playing over and over a part in a movie and notice this on all three settings, even off!
When I go back and change back to 24 the skipped frames are no longer there. Now this isn’t happening every minute, but it does happen ever so often...

Is there anything you can think of that might fix this when Im playing 24 features at 60?
I have the 970 card, and all of the settings set to the lowest NEED13 set to 16.

I want to play at card set to 60Hz as many others here do and say its so much smoother than at 24.

BTW. The person who built the PC for me added JRiver and madvr, they may have played round with some of the settings..
Is there a way to reset madvr back to its default settings?
You can reset madVR to its default settings by finding the madVR plugin folder in JRiver and running the "reset settings" file.

To improve the performance of smooth motion, try increasing the size of the GPU queue size in general settings. This will provide greater protection against these glitches.

For your refresh rate problem, madshi mentioned you can use madVR profile rules to create profiles for devices -> display modes. You could set your entire pre-show content to be played at 60 Hz and the feature at 24 Hz.

Select devices.
Click create profile group.
Add display modes to the profile group.
Create two profiles: name one folder something like "Pre-show" and the other "Feature."

if (fileName = "introduction.mkv") "Pre-show"
else if (fileName = "trivia.mkv") "Pre-show"
else if (fileName = "trailers.mkv") "Pre-show"
else "Feature"

Leave the display modes field blank under "Pre-show." Under "Feature," enter "1080p23."

One profile will play without refresh rate matching. The other will switch to 1080p24 when the feature starts.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling