Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 7th January 2016, 05:49   #20141  |  Link
huhn

try ac3 filter.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 11:15   #20142  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I have an issue with LAV in MPC that I cannot get my head around. I recently purchased a Denon AVR and connected it using HDMI from an AMD video card. My problem is I cannot get stereo Dolby Surround decoding when I set the AMD to 5.1 or 7.1 channels. I can only get it by setting the AMD speaker configuration to stereo. I then have to set LAV to bitstream. I would prefer to have LAV set to decode audio to multi-channel output (So that I can have multi-channel+DS) but in order to do this I have to set Windows to 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration. But this then sends stereo as 2 channels over multi-channel (all channels are active so the amp does not think it's stereo only) and I lose stereo Dolby Surround sound.

It's Kinda annoying really. If I play a MP3 in foobar with 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration set it auto switches the AVR to Dolby surround so I know it's possible. I can only think it's the way LAV is splitting the channels to multi-channel.

Any ideas?
You want an Audio Renderer with WASAPI Exclusive mode that properly switches the output device to the number of channels the decoder outputs. Thats really the only way.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:16   #20143  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
Hi, nevcairiel,
Here is a sample that there are artifacts in all hardware-assisted modes (DXVA2/CUDA): https://www.sendspace.com/file/nfhb8p. Software mode is OK.
Win7 x64, LAV 0.67.0-43 x86, GTX660, Forceware 359.06.
Sounds like a driver or hardware problem if even CUVID shows the same problem.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:31   #20144  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Sounds like a driver or hardware problem if even CUVID shows the same problem.
CoreAVC in CUDA mode shows no artifacts.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 14:26   #20145  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Feature request: show LAV Video settings window (by double click on the system tray icon) on the primary monitor even if the player's window is not on the primary monitor.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 14:38   #20146  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
You want an Audio Renderer with WASAPI Exclusive mode that properly switches the output device to the number of channels the decoder outputs. Thats really the only way.
None of my audio renderers in MPC are listed as WASAPI capable. Is there any other way to bypass LAV for stereo sources? I want to use LAV for everything BUT stereo. I don't want to use AC3Filter etc thanks.

EDIT: I have found a workaround by using ReClock. It allows me to set my AVR to WASAPI output. I am unsure why LAV/MPC alone is not enough to achieve the same result. I tried setting my AVR to exclusive mode in MPC and it made no difference.

Last edited by oddball; 7th January 2016 at 15:12.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 15:45   #20147  |  Link
AlexKane

@oddball
The 'Internal Audio Renderer' in MPC, is using WASAPI by default.
Quote:
I tried setting my AVR to exclusive mode in MPC and it made no difference
You are probably just using DirectSound.

Last edited by AlexKane; 7th January 2016 at 15:50.
AlexKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 18:01   #20148  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I believe MPC-HC's new renderer always uses Windows' channel count instead of the source count, so it does not work for your purpose. It has already been asked in the MPC-HC thread to change that.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 18:07   #20149  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
CoreAVC in CUDA mode shows no artifacts.
CUVID in LAV Video also seems fine here. No artifacts.
The stream is damaged though, and I think it just uses Error Concealment to hide the problems, which doesn't work very well in DXVA2 modes tbh.

The avcodec software decoder has the much better error concealment than any Hardware Decoder i've ever seen, but due to the way DXVA2 works, it cannot function there.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 7th January 2016 at 18:09.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 18:40   #20150  |  Link
fluffy01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I believe MPC-HC's new renderer always uses Windows' channel count instead of the source count, so it does not work for your purpose. It has already been asked in the MPC-HC thread to change that.
Yes. I noticed that too. I have a very similar setup to Oddball with a Denon AVR connected through a HDMI cable.
I use the MPC-BE internal renderer in exclusive mode, as this does in fact always try to switch the output layout to match the input layout, and it works great for me.

My exact setup is this: I configured the windows mixer to 2 channels, so I can let the AVR upsample it to surround, if I want to, when playing normal audio in Windows.
Then I configured MPC-BE to use "MPC Audio Renderer", which is the internal audio renderer of MPC-BE. I believe that the audio renderer can be used with other players too, though I haven't tried.
I configured the renderer as such: The sound device is just the primary audiodriver, though you can choose whatever you want to use.
I set WASAPI mode to exclusive, and ticked "Allow bit-exact output" and unticked the "Use system layout channels".
I set the Sync method to "Sync video to audio", though I do not think this has any effect on what channel layout is used.

I hope this helps.
fluffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 00:21   #20151  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy01 View Post
Yes. I noticed that too. I have a very similar setup to Oddball with a Denon AVR connected through a HDMI cable.
I use the MPC-BE internal renderer in exclusive mode, as this does in fact always try to switch the output layout to match the input layout, and it works great for me.

My exact setup is this: I configured the windows mixer to 2 channels, so I can let the AVR upsample it to surround, if I want to, when playing normal audio in Windows.
Then I configured MPC-BE to use "MPC Audio Renderer", which is the internal audio renderer of MPC-BE. I believe that the audio renderer can be used with other players too, though I haven't tried.
I configured the renderer as such: The sound device is just the primary audiodriver, though you can choose whatever you want to use.
I set WASAPI mode to exclusive, and ticked "Allow bit-exact output" and unticked the "Use system layout channels".
I set the Sync method to "Sync video to audio", though I do not think this has any effect on what channel layout is used.

I hope this helps.
Did not work for me. I set MPC-BE the same and I can only have one or the other. MPC-HC actually gives more options in regards to whether you want bitstreaming, just multi-channel decoding etc as far as I can tell. I can't get both multi-channel decoding (not bitstreaming) to HDMI and keep stereo sources sent as just stereo for Dolby Surround. It is always sent as stereo left and right over multi-channel.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 00:54   #20152  |  Link
nussman

You are looking for this (not released yet) https://github.com/alexmarsev/sanear...bc27ea6698414e

This can not be changed by splitter/decoder (LAV). You have to use a wasapi audiorenderer with this feature (reclock should work, not sure about MPC BE).
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 10:35   #20153  |  Link
fluffy01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Did not work for me. I set MPC-BE the same and I can only have one or the other. MPC-HC actually gives more options in regards to whether you want bitstreaming, just multi-channel decoding etc as far as I can tell. I can't get both multi-channel decoding (not bitstreaming) to HDMI and keep stereo sources sent as just stereo for Dolby Surround. It is always sent as stereo left and right over multi-channel.
Did you enable the mixer in LavFilters? If so, disable it.

I just bitstream all bitstreamable formats and only decode whats left... Why do you need to decode everything except 2-channel AC3?
fluffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:07   #20154  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Quote:
CUVID in LAV Video also seems fine here. No artifacts.
Which videocard/driver do you use? I do see artifacts in CUVID mode in LAV Video.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 13:05   #20155  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Both GTX960 or Titan X, using latest drivers (361.43)
Old 8th January 2016, 18:19   #20156  |  Link
clsid

I get artifacts with CUVID using a GTX960 and 361.43 on Win7. LAV 67.0-44.
Old 8th January 2016, 18:33   #20157  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
You are looking for this (not released yet) https://github.com/alexmarsev/sanear...bc27ea6698414e

This can not be changed by splitter/decoder (LAV). You have to use a wasapi audiorenderer with this feature (reclock should work, not sure about MPC BE).
doesnt wasapi exclusive mode ignore this anyway?
Old 8th January 2016, 18:46   #20158  |  Link
clsid

No, wasapi does what you tell it to do. The current MPC-HC renderer simply doesn't do the correct thing for the discussed use case. But it will provide the necessary options in the future.
Old 9th January 2016, 00:44   #20159  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
doesnt wasapi exclusive mode ignore this anyway?
Yes, when it's implemented "correctly" (ie: how people want).
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 17:52   #20160  |  Link
rock

pardon me to ask something. I have WVC1 files (a file can be downloaded from here), play with MPC-HC nightly (1.7.10.56). When I play with dxva2 selected, wmv9 mft is used. When I play with intel quicksync selected, quicksync is used. My notebook vga is intel hd 3000. so I wanna ask, dxva2 not support for this kind of file? or actually my vga not support dxva2 for this kind of file?. thanks in advance.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter