Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th May 2009, 06:59   #981  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh View Post
However we may try to find out if there are any better splines than existing ones.
Great! yesgrey3 earlier reported that "Akima" splines may be interesting. Documentation is available on the net. Maybe you can try figuring that out? I haven't been able to turn that documentation into a coefficient set that I could use for my resampling filters...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 11:06   #982  |  Link
Grmpf

Just wanted to give a short feedback on my Powerstrip problem - its solved bei EnTechTaiwan as some of you may already knew by reading my thread over there.

The reference clock had changed from 27mhz to 100mhz, so the following line in the pstrip.ini is required:

[HW.94B31002.29011682.0100] (<- thats where to put it in my pstrip.ini)
OSC=100000

Doing a quick test it worked, 60.000hz are 60.000hz again and so on. Trying 23.976hz in the advanced timing options resulted in 23.973hz, but i didn't mess around with the different timings, was just a quick check. Guess i stay with Win XP now ;-)
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 13:57   #983  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

whats the difference anyway when its not exactly 23.976, but 3 Hz off now? does the picture then look somewhat distorted or are there other disadvantages?
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 14:23   #984  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
whats the difference anyway when its not exactly 23.976, but 3 Hz off now? does the picture then look somewhat distorted or are there other disadvantages?
It's 0.003Hz off, that's about 0.0125%. If you calculate that for a 100 minute movie 0.0125% is about 750ms difference. That means if you use a 1:1 display logic where you display exactly one video frame per VSync without correcting audio (ReClock), audio will be off by 750ms at the end of the movie. Or if you want to drop/repeat frames instead of resampling the audio, you have to drop/repeat about 18 frames while watching the movie. So obviously, although the difference is small, it does affect playback.

Hope my math is alright...
Old 13th May 2009, 14:34   #985  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

eww, I hope they will be able to fix that then to exact 23.976 fps :S
Old 13th May 2009, 14:48   #986  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

madshi,

Do you think it will be possible to have madVR switch the display refresh rate based on the ideal video refresh rate (using pre-defined allowed values)

My panel and videocard support all formats (24p, 25i, 30i, 50p, 60p)

OH and if it can and will it should switch back to a pre-defined value too (60p in my case)
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 15:09   #987  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
The absolute refresh rate is not important. Important is that the clock generator of your soundcard fits to the clock generator of your graphics card.

Due to Bitmonster's timing calculator there is no need for big deviations on ATI cards. This script analyzes ReClock's log file and calculates possible Powerstrip timings which fit best to the clock generator of your soundcard. The resulting timing usually gives more than 24 hours without a single audio drop or repeat. Enough for every situation.
FoLLgoTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 15:12   #988  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
The absolute refresh rate is not important. Important is that the clock generator of your soundcard fits to the clock generator of your graphics card.

Due to Bitmonster's timing calculator there is no need for big deviations on ATI cards. This script analyzes ReClock's log file and calculates possible Powerstrip timings which fit best to the clock generator of your soundcard. The resulting timing usually gives more than 24 hours without a single audio drop or repeat. Enough for every situation.
Assuming you have CRT panel
Old 13th May 2009, 16:04   #989  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
Assuming you have CRT panel
Last time I checked my projector was DLP, not CRT...

np: Moderat - 3 Minutes Of (Moderat)
Old 13th May 2009, 16:07   #990  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Last time I checked my projector was DLP, not CRT...

np: Moderat - 3 Minutes Of (Moderat)
I should have said multisync capable display :P
Old 13th May 2009, 16:58   #991  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

ordered a HD 4770 as well, should be here within a week (I hope). can post some stats from me then too.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:05   #992  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Madshi: yeah, it is confirmed -- no one knows how to derive these spline coefficients Even avisynth has a disclaimer about that. Trouble is that they may not be ideal, although they do surprisingly good job. And seems "spline256" is what some people call "sinc256" in the original PanoTools (where all these coefficients were taken). So far even proficient in math don't have a clue what conditions were used for these splines.
In a few days i will post a story about those splines! Stay tuned
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 17:24   #993  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
Do you think it will be possible to have madVR switch the display refresh rate based on the ideal video refresh rate (using pre-defined allowed values)

My panel and videocard support all formats (24p, 25i, 30i, 50p, 60p)
Don't spoil the surprise! I have plans for a number of features I haven't mentioned yet... But now is not really the time for that yet.

In my experience, interlaced output doesn't work well with HTPCs, though, so my plans do not include interlaced output or interlaced graphics modes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
Due to Bitmonster's timing calculator there is no need for big deviations on ATI cards. This script analyzes ReClock's log file and calculates possible Powerstrip timings which fit best to the clock generator of your soundcard. The resulting timing usually gives more than 24 hours without a single audio drop or repeat.
Didn't know that one yet. Looks quite promising! The only question is whether the display/projector will accept funny modes. I think some displays/projectors are more forgiving than others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
Looking forward to it...
Old 13th May 2009, 18:05   #994  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Didn't know that one yet. Looks quite promising! The only question is whether the display/projector will accept funny modes. I think some displays/projectors are more forgiving than others...
Yes, the display has to sync to the custom mode. With CRT projectors custom modes are no problem in general as long as the porches stay inside a range which doesn't cause geometry errors.
Digital displays behave very differently. Some does many custom modes well, others not. And some show tearing or judder with certain modes, because they internally sync with a different refresh rate. It is trial and error.
FoLLgoTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 18:16   #995  |  Link
honai

ar-jar wrote in the other thread that according to his experience most modern LCDs support custom refresh rates within a margin of the standard rates, e.g. 23.9 instead of 23.976Hz. That might be already sufficient to compensate for timing differences and ensure smooth playback.
Old 13th May 2009, 20:35   #996  |  Link
kostik

Is the next release coming soon:?

thanks.
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 21:22   #997  |  Link
honai

@madshi

After re-installing the drivers, numbers for the 4770 are now much better. With 1080p display (instead of downsizing to 1680x1050) and the same source (Iron Man AVC) avrg rendering time now hovers around 9.50ms with SoftCubic100 for chroma, and around 11ms with Lanczos8.
Old 13th May 2009, 21:49   #998  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
Is the next release coming soon:?
If there's a new release, it usually comes at a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
After re-installing the drivers, numbers for the 4770 are now much better. With 1080p display (instead of downsizing to 1680x1050) and the same source (Iron Man AVC) avrg rendering time now hovers around 9.50ms with SoftCubic100 for chroma, and around 11ms with Lanczos8.
Downscaling to 1680x1050 consumes more performance than displaying in 1:1. Maybe the numbers are better only because you're displaying 1:1 now - and not because of the driver re-install?
Old 14th May 2009, 01:30   #999  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
I recall that was promised in some splines thread in early 2008

I read that thread, consulted with the guy who knows relevant math, so far not enough conditions to derive...
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 08:30   #1000  |  Link
AJ73

Little feature request

Hi, there. It is always good to have alternative renderers. The new renderer is able to outperform any other renderer I worked with in the past in respect to image quality.

It would realy be great if the supported colorspaces could be extended to at least YUY2 and NV12 (although I know that planar colorspaces are easier to handle).
Also the support of the IBasicVideo::GetCurrentImage interface to create a snapshot would be desirable.
AJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling