Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th October 2011, 07:42   #10101  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Does the 'Use D3D11 for presentation' need a DirectX 11 card? I enabled it and assumed it wouldn't operate, but seems to play normally.

Also, I think the 'overshoot max...' option has zeroed my presentation glitches. I thought I had it sorted before, but I noticed them cropping up again

My settings now would be:

5/8 for windowed and exclusive buffers with 'overshoot max frame latency' tweak
Pretty sure D3D stands for Direct3D
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 09:12   #10102  |  Link
Nicola

I'm experiencing a strange thing, which I think may be a bug.
I installed madvr and try to use it with mpc-hc, xp sp3 here. My monitor is native 1920x1080.
now, what happens is a bit strange: if I play a 1920x1080 h264 encoded video, if I'm in fullscreen it's smooth, no tearing, best quality I ever seen, but if I play a smaller resolution, like 1280x720, it looks good only if I'm not in fullscreen; if I go fullscreen, every 3 seconds or so it stutters. Now, I noticed it stutters when I play a 1920x1080 video windowed, so I suppose it has to do with scaling the video up or down. I tried vith various options/combination of decoders, but I can't figure out what may cause it. Oh, my cpu doesn't go more than say 20% on FullHD from a BR, so it's not the reason... Can someone please help me getting around this issue?
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 10:01   #10103  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
I'm experiencing a strange thing, which I think may be a bug.
I installed madvr and try to use it with mpc-hc, xp sp3 here. My monitor is native 1920x1080.
now, what happens is a bit strange: if I play a 1920x1080 h264 encoded video, if I'm in fullscreen it's smooth, no tearing, best quality I ever seen, but if I play a smaller resolution, like 1280x720, it looks good only if I'm not in fullscreen; if I go fullscreen, every 3 seconds or so it stutters. Now, I noticed it stutters when I play a 1920x1080 video windowed, so I suppose it has to do with scaling the video up or down. I tried vith various options/combination of decoders, but I can't figure out what may cause it. Oh, my cpu doesn't go more than say 20% on FullHD from a BR, so it's not the reason... Can someone please help me getting around this issue?
Sounds like it's scaling, as you has guessed. madVR depends on GPU for scaling. If you want to verify it, use some kind of GPU monitor to see the GPU usage. Your only choice looks like it would be changing the scaling algorithm to something lighter.

Last edited by Hypernova; 14th October 2011 at 10:04.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 10:30   #10104  |  Link
MokrySedeS
I am the one who knocks

What about the options in madVR settings --> rendering --> trade quality for performance ? He could try some of those.
MokrySedeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 11:02   #10105  |  Link
nlnl

@ 6233638
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Reference gamma is 2.40, period. If you want to see the content as it was created and intended to be viewed, that is what's required on your display.
So if my display (Pio plazma) is calibrated to 2.2 gamma, should I set madvr to "gamma processing on\ curve 2.4" for dark room viewing?
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 11:04   #10106  |  Link
Nicola

I'll see about the gpu usage when scaling
Thanks for now.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:17   #10107  |  Link
Nicola

Indeed it was the gpu not having enough juice for the selected scaling.
I changed scaling algorithm for up/down scaling of luma only and now it's around 75%.
No stuttering. Thanks a lot.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:20   #10108  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
What I recommend doing is going into your madVR options, check “enable gamma processing”, select “pure power curve” and choose something like 2.4 or 2.5. You'll probably have to play with the value somewhat, but this should result in a more optimal result for playback in a very dark environment. I personally use 2.5 at night, 2.4 in the evening and 2.3 during the day.

Then, go to your calibration settings and choose “the display is already calibrated”, select “BT.709” for the primaries, “pure power curve” for the curve and 2.30 for the setting.
thxz for your reply.

Why not choose the option to disable calibration settings in madVR?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 13:45   #10109  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
thxz for your reply.

Why not choose the option to disable calibration settings in madVR?
Because then the gamma option doesn't do anything.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:23   #10110  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Because then the gamma option doesn't do anything.
but for who is the option to turn it off then?

Last edited by THX-UltraII; 14th October 2011 at 15:43.
Old 14th October 2011, 15:29   #10111  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
@ 6233638

So if my display (Pio plazma) is calibrated to 2.2 gamma, should I set madvr to "gamma processing on\ curve 2.4" for dark room viewing?
Yes, tell madVR that your display is calibrated to BT.709, pure power curve 2.20 in the calibration section and then set the target gamma as pure power curve 2.40 in the color & gamma section. You should notice a nice bump in image contrast and increased richness in colours.

In a perfect world this would be done at the display, but I don't believe Pioneer's controls offer enough flexibility to attain a flat 2.4 anyway—their displays seem built for 2.2.

This may actually be best for you, if you use the PC for other things such as games when connected to your TV. It would mean a 2.2 calibration for them—which is ideal—and 2.4 with film—also ideal.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 17:11   #10112  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Yes, tell madVR that your display is calibrated to BT.709, pure power curve 2.20 in the calibration section and then set the target gamma as pure power curve 2.40 in the color & gamma section. You should notice a nice bump in image contrast and increased richness in colours.

In a perfect world this would be done at the display, but I don't believe Pioneer's controls offer enough flexibility to attain a flat 2.4 anyway—their displays seem built for 2.2.

This may actually be best for you, if you use the PC for other things such as games when connected to your TV. It would mean a 2.2 calibration for them—which is ideal—and 2.4 with film—also ideal.
Thank You very, very much. Even though this wasn't specifically for my benefit, it was a tremendous help to me. I'm a total novice as far as HTPC related problems go and this was a very simple and concise explanation. Now I can continue using madVR and LAV without the drop in colour quality because of madVR's lack of colour controls similiar to MPC-HC's EVR-CP and such renderers. madVR is so much better, I was starting to use MPC-HC tester builds for internal renderer fixes which is very good in it's own right (at least to a novice like me) but not quite up to par with madVR.
XRyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 20:00   #10113  |  Link
THX-UltraII

I m on 55% cpu usage with madVR and my system is

Core2Quad Q9550, 4GB DDR3, ATI5450
W7 X64, MPC-HC x86, LAV Video and Audio decoder.

Is this normal?

The reason I ask is because I want to do software Frame Interpolation with Avisynth but I don t have that much CPU left
Old 14th October 2011, 20:29   #10114  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by golagoda View Post
Pretty sure D3D stands for Direct3D
So it's not hardware related? thanks
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 06:30   #10115  |  Link
ryrynz

No that's not normal THX, surely there must be something else causing that high CPU usage. I have the same CPU and decoding H.264 720P material on MadVR uses some 7-15%
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 08:33   #10116  |  Link
Nicola

I don't know if it's the right place, but I'd like to ask for advice anyway.
Considering I'm not a gamer, but I really want to use madvr with better resizing algorithms, I think it's time to go for something newer than my 8500GT.
So my choice is between the GT440 or 430 (which is cheaper and uses less energy).
Is this ok or those are too much/too low?
Old 15th October 2011, 12:56   #10117  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
No that's not normal THX, surely there must be something else causing that high CPU usage. I have the same CPU and decoding H.264 720P material on MadVR uses some 7-15%
Remember that I run 1080p, this is a big difference from 720p I think. Also I m only running a ATI HD5450 AND I do software decoding, no hardware decoding.

Does GPU hardware decoding (a NVIDIA card) better (higher PQ?) to use with madVR btw?
Old 15th October 2011, 13:11   #10118  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
I m on 55% cpu usage with madVR and my system is

Core2Quad Q9550, 4GB DDR3, ATI5450
W7 X64, MPC-HC x86, LAV Video and Audio decoder.

Is this normal?

The reason I ask is because I want to do software Frame Interpolation with Avisynth but I don t have that much CPU left
I have the same CPU - when playing the Toru no Uta long version, I get about 20% CPU usage without subtitles and 50% CPU usage with subtitles (because of the crazy animated softsubs).

Which test file are you using?

The highschool of the dead Hi10P test clip gives me about 20%-30%. When using EVR-CP instead of madVR, I get around 10%-20%.
Old 15th October 2011, 13:54   #10119  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
I have the same CPU - when playing the Toru no Uta long version, I get about 20% CPU usage without subtitles and 50% CPU usage with subtitles (because of the crazy animated softsubs).

Which test file are you using?

The highschool of the dead Hi10P test clip gives me about 20%-30%. When using EVR-CP instead of madVR, I get around 10%-20%.
I m using regular full BR +-30-50gb rips (.m2ts) @1080p23,976

Did some good testing again and I m @45-50 cpu usage, with or without my dutch .srt subtitles enable (this does not make any difference).

Is there a way to see my CPU usage in Exclusive Mode? Because I check my CPU usage by CTRL+ALT+DEL, Taksmanager, Performance and this way madVR autoswitches to Windowed Mode.
Old 15th October 2011, 14:36   #10120  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
I don't know if it's the right place, but I'd like to ask for advice anyway.
Considering I'm not a gamer, but I really want to use madvr with better resizing algorithms, I think it's time to go for something newer than my 8500GT.
So my choice is between the GT440 or 430 (which is cheaper and uses less energy).
Is this ok or those are too much/too low?
I'd personally go with the GT430, it has OpenGL 4.1, whereas the GT440 has OpenGL4.0, and the default clock speeds/memory of the cards are relatively the same, not to mention it's the cheaper one.

You can always overclock it a bit as well, they're not like GTX590's where your house will literally burn down at the default speeds.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling