Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th September 2015, 22:47   #32881  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

NNEDI3 is somewhat of a special case. It requires an OpenCL kernel to be compiled, which takes time - although the kernel is then saved to the registry, so the wait time should only occur the first time you run madVR. Are you sure the same problem occurs if you disable NNEDI3 everywhere and use a different sort of doubling (e.g. super-xbr)? Make sure you diable NNEDI3 also in chroma upscaling.
Yes, NNEDI3 is completely disabled, including chroma upscaling. . Even when just using Nedi or super-xbr I get the inordinately long wait times with frame drops from 500-700. Although when I use NNEDI3 for chroma upscaling it looks fine, no emboss effect, except when I'm using NNEDI3 for image doubling. If I use super-xbr or Nedi in conjunction with NNEDI3 chroma upscaling I don't get the emboss effect just the inordinately long wait times.

Quote:
Earlier reports indicate that this problem might be caused by non-standard DPI settings. Have you changed the DPI settings? Try setting them to default value. This may also be solved by updating your media player.

Yes, I had DPI set at 125% when it would only output FS windowed mode. Setting my DPI settings to 100% solved this particular issue. I actually did read about that about 10 or 20 pages back but totally forgot about it. Oops............I am sorry about that. I can plainly see how annoying it is to have to repeat the same thing over and over again.
Old 11th September 2015, 22:49   #32882  |  Link
petran79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
i have a strange problem with the new MADVR version...
ussually i double klick the media player, (mpchc) to go into fullscreen.

anyway, sometimes, mostly, when i go into fullscreen i only see 1/4 of teh picture. its like zooomes way in, and i cant seem to change it at all..

i have to restart the player like 8 times, till it goes correctly into fullscreen..
dunno what is doing this, but 0.88.21 works as it should...

if you need more infos i would be glad to post em..

greetz
I have this issue with a video that has a resolution 704x400 and black horizontal stripes.

On windowed mode it appears in the correct aspect ration but on full screen mode black stripes disappear and image fills the whole screen. Problem is that subtitles are hidden and impossible to appear, even if they're in ASS format.

I am confused as to what settings to add in madvr. I havent touched anything in the media player. When I switch video renderer, full screen appears fine.

WINDOWED:

FULLSCREEN

petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 23:01   #32883  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

madshi allready answered that question here

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
i have a strange problem with the new MADVR version...
ussually i double klick the media player, (mpchc) to go into fullscreen.
anyway, sometimes, mostly, when i go into fullscreen i only see 1/4 of teh picture. its like zooomes way in, and i cant seem to change it at all..
madshi
Quote:
That's my fault, sorry about that, should hopefully be fixed in the next build.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 00:21   #32884  |  Link
kongfl888

[QUOTE=BetA13;1738256]madshi allready answered that question here

Quote:
Quote:

madshi
BetA13
Thank you for your info

madshi,
Thanks
kongfl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 01:21   #32885  |  Link
egandt

MadVR Windows 10 and refresh changing

MadVR Windows 10 and refresh changing, using .89.2 I'm unable to get the refresh rate to change when I start a full screen video in ZP 11RC1, on Windows 8.1 this was working, has anyone else encountered a similar issue?

ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 02:23   #32886  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Not sure it's any relevant or useful feedback but I see that you're going all the way when it comes to black bars and I've seen myself using this "Borders" PS script a few times in order to hide TV channel logos.....I guess a worst case scenario would be a 15/9 TV broadcast with a nasty TV logo in the black bars("arteHD" comes to mind).

It would make sense to me to allow adding black bars first and then detecting what's left of them afterwards(be it TV logos, ugly borders or maybe encodes with hardsubs in the black bars when you'd like to use subs in a different language or simply hide them altogether), anyway it can come in handy IME.

My ex-HC3100 DLP pj came with an option to add horizontal black bars on purpose and I did use it a few times, especially on music videos captured from TV broadcasts.....so why not a filename tag while we're at it
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 07:04   #32887  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
A debug log would be great!!
Here we go...

I started the DVBViewer on a 1080i channel. That worked. No error and deinterlacing is on. Then I switched to another 1080i channel. DXVA processing failed and deinterlacing was off from then on. Log attached...

madVR - log
Old 12th September 2015, 09:55   #32888  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhR0N1K View Post
im having the same sort of issue. so i downgraded to 0.88.21 until this zoom stuff and black bars etc is sorted out. also liked when the OSD showed the actual target rectangle size instead of just saying "Touch Window From Inside" etc. thanks for any info in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'd like to see this back as well.
I'm not sure how useful it would be. Would you like to see the original target resolution asked for by the media player? Or the final target resolution decided on by madVR? These may differ, depending on "zoom control".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
madshi > i've thought the same, but downgrading driver before the windows 10 verdion doesn't help.
I didn't mean to say that it's isolated to one specific driver. I believe this is a general driver problem which is probably in all drivers of your GPU manufacturer. And until they specifically look at this problem and try to fix it, there's not much we can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
What I would like to be able to do is crop the black bars completely and then have the renderer upscale the video to the displays native resolution so that the image fills the screen, ignoring the original AR. Even though it may be technically wrong to do so I personally can't stand Pillarboxed videos, maybe a method similar to EVR's non-linear stretch could be applied in this case.
You can either use MPC-HCs "touch window from outside" for that purpose, or in madVR's "zoom control" activate the option "if there are big black bars -> zoom the bars away completely".

No NLS in madVR any time soon, I hate NLS and consider it harmful for image quality. I might add it, anyway, at some point, to make users happy. But priority is very low atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propheticus View Post
DVD playback with madVR results in what seems like frames going back and forth. This looks epileptic shock inducingly bad.
It goes something like this 1-2-3-4 3-4-5-6 4-5-6-7 6-7-8-9

When I choose System default or VMR as renderer everything's fine. So that's why I don't think it's MPC-BE or LAV's causing it.
Is that with video mode deinterlacing or forced film mode? Which GPU are you using? And do you have the options "use a separate device for presentation / DXVA processing" enabled? Try disabling those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Yes, NNEDI3 is completely disabled, including chroma upscaling. . Even when just using Nedi or super-xbr I get the inordinately long wait times with frame drops from 500-700.
If you upload a debug log for me, I can have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
MadVR Windows 10 and refresh changing, using .89.2 I'm unable to get the refresh rate to change when I start a full screen video in ZP 11RC1, on Windows 8.1 this was working, has anyone else encountered a similar issue?
Not heard about such issues yet, I think. Upload a debug log and I'll have a look. Which exact settings are you using in the madVR "display modes" settings page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Not sure it's any relevant or useful feedback but I see that you're going all the way when it comes to black bars and I've seen myself using this "Borders" PS script a few times in order to hide TV channel logos.....I guess a worst case scenario would be a 15/9 TV broadcast with a nasty TV logo in the black bars("arteHD" comes to mind).
Have you actually tested a 15/9 arteHD broadcast with TV logo with madVR's black bar detection, and found there to be actual problems?

If yes: Thanks for the report, and please post a small sample.

(If no: Please refrain from fantasizing about problems that you think might be there, and then following that up by suggesting various potential solutions to those imagined problems. If every madVR user started doing that, I might as well stop madVR development right now, because I'd never see the end of it. I've enough work to do as it is with working on problems that actually exist.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I understand that, but in case of EC_VIDEO_SIZE_CHANGED I think you should clear any previous assumptions. I think this it is safe to say that any previous active video area detection may be wrong. In this sample we have a switch and after that madVR still holds previous assumption (I'm looking at green lines).
You're right! I missed the fact that there was a stream AR change. I've now added code to clear the current AR detection information when the video stream changes AR. And it actually did improve the black bar detection with your sample a bit, so thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
Also there is another issue with this sample. madVR incorrectly detect "stretch to window" instead "touch window from inside" if you start playback after size change. Easiest to reproduce "mpc-hc64.exe AR.ts /startpos 0:30"
Thanks. I can reproduce it. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. FWIW, currently madVR tries to guess the zoom setting MPC-HC is using by looking at the target rect MPC-HC asks for. Obviously there's a bug in my interpretation code. But even if I fix all the bugs, it can't ever be perfect because often "normal size" and "touch from inside" will result in the same target rect, so in that situation madVR cannot know what MPC-HC wants, just by looking at the target rect. So my plan is to add a simple interface which MPC-HC can then use to tell madVR which exact zoom mode it wants (plus additional zoom and position tweaks), so I don't have to guess. But that's for a future build, I'll let you know when it's ready. Should only cost minimal extra code in media players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNcH View Post
Here we go...

I started the DVBViewer on a 1080i channel. That worked. No error and deinterlacing is on. Then I switched to another 1080i channel. DXVA processing failed and deinterlacing was off from then on. Log attached...

madVR - log
Thanks! It was a timing issue in combination with the relatively new feature to render in stopped mode. I think the following test build should fix it. If not, could you please provide another debug log from this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR892dxva.rar
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 11:22   #32889  |  Link
romulous

Quote:
I'm not sure how useful it would be. Would you like to see the original target resolution asked for by the media player? Or the final target resolution decided on by madVR? These may differ, depending on "zoom control".
I'd like to see this return also - it was handy for determining what resolution the current video was playing at (not the actual video clip resolution, but the actual resolution currently being used, taking into account the window size - I'd have to use an on-screen ruler tool to get that window size now that it has been removed from madVR).

romulous
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 12:28   #32890  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
I didn't mean to say that it's isolated to one specific driver. I believe this is a general driver problem which is probably in all drivers of your GPU manufacturer. And until they specifically look at this problem and try to fix it, there's not much we can do about it.
hmm ... I had no problems when I ran Windows 7, the problem started with windows 10. Considering therefore to switch back to windows 7
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 13:14   #32891  |  Link
huhn

the current version is already trying to detect subtitles in black boarders and TV logos.

there is even an option to ignore or not ignore subtitles
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 13:18   #32892  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the current version is already trying to detect subtitles in black borders and TV logos.

there is even an option to ignore or not ignore subtitles
Fair enough, I'll try to come back with nasty samples then.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 14:10   #32893  |  Link
SweetLow

@James Freeman
>Can you please explain the reason of registering to a forum without posting a single message for MONTHS/YEARS then suddenly popping out with a first post?
It's very simple. madshi asks confirmation of rendering problem introduced in 0.88.17. In my environment it is reproduced very well. But since 5 day wait of posting for new users it's not need (after 5 days)
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 14:17   #32894  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:

If you upload a debug log for me, I can have a look.

When I activate debug mode it says "cannot find madvr.ax". I have MPC-HC running and playing a video with the OSD for madVR displayed so obviously it's using madVR.ax. So I don't seem to be able to upload a debug log .
Old 12th September 2015, 14:21   #32895  |  Link
KhR0N1K

[QUOTE=Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Originally Posted by romulous View Post
I'd like to see this return also - it was handy for determining what resolution the current video was playing at (not the actual video clip resolution, but the actual resolution currently being used, taking into account the window size - I'd have to use an on-screen ruler tool to get that window size now that it has been removed from madVR).

romulous [/QUOTE]

i would like to see both like how it is in 88.21. so i can see the orig movie resolution and the final movie target rectangle.
KhR0N1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 14:59   #32896  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
Thanks! It was a timing issue in combination with the relatively new feature to render in stopped mode. I think the following test build should fix it.
Looks good. I switched a lot between 576i, 720p and 1080i (with 1920 and 1440 horizontal resolution) and it did not fail again. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks a lot so far!
Old 12th September 2015, 16:10   #32897  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman
Can you please explain the reason of registering to a forum without posting a single message for MONTHS/YEARS then suddenly popping out with a first post?
It's very simple. madshi asks confirmation of rendering problem introduced in 0.88.17. In my environment it is reproduced very well. But since 5 day wait of posting for new users it's not need (after 5 days)
Ain't that the truth.
Hats off for madshi!
Old 12th September 2015, 16:54   #32898  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I'd like to see the information what exact size the portrayed video by the player has.
This is very useful when resizing to a certain resolution (e.g. when you want to resize pixel exact to a size that isn't offered by the player as a template like "50%" or you want to make sure the player really resizes as it's told).
Otherwiese I might be really handicapped when doing image quality comparisons in the future.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 21:46   #32899  |  Link
egandt

Quote:
Not heard about such issues yet, I think. Upload a debug log and I'll have a look. Which exact settings are you using in the madVR "display modes" settings page?

http://madshi.net/madVR892dxva.rar
Here is the log from madvr debug, not sure what to look for my self and the log was huge so I only include the first 20K lines or so.

Thanks,
Eric
Attached Files
File Type: rar madVR - log.rar (183.3 KB, 50 views)
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 21:48   #32900  |  Link
aufkrawall

Please upload it to some sharehoster like Mediafire, it usually takes too long here until attachments are unlocked for downloading.
If you compress it as 7z archive with Ultra preset, size also shouldn't be a real problem.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling