Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Translations

Old 17th January 2003, 03:42   #1  |  Link
pighead

Hi, me again

Don't worry about me...i'm just being stupid......ha ha ha...I guess it is kind of hurtful seeing some of those replies...i realize doing this kind of work...it's inevitable to receive certain criticism...I just wasn't prepare for the degree of it.(Truth hurts I guess) But I still would love to do this, I guess it would help me and a lot of other people to do so, so far I know two other people who want to do this, so i guess we are it.
so first thing first, everyone, We need some help :

1)Apparently there's an easier way to show chinese traditional font to all kind of user(Chinese or Non-Chinese based platforms), please tell me how.

2)Since geocities is the only web account I can provide so in order to provide "chinese traditional" translation services for users in China would someone kindly provide us with a place to put all the pages, or tell us where to signup for one (keep in mind that I don't have Frontpage or any kind of web builder thing-y )...

3)I know I'm not an expert in java,I don't know if the other two team members are, or perhaps there's an English speaking htm expert who's willing to spend his/her time with us in building this translation site...I know my grammer sucks, but if you can understand this posting, it's highly possible that you can communicate with us,please let me know...muchas gracias!

Joey

p.s. I apologize for my rudness and offensive language and not following the forum rules and a lot of other things. If you want to kick me out, I understand ...oh, and big thanx fileman(for the encouragement), stay cool!

Last edited by pighead; 25th January 2003 at 17:45.
pighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 11:43   #2  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

Good idea,

perhaps you'll find support among 1 Billion Chinese people out there But there's no need TO USE ALL CAPITALS IN YOUR TEXT. That's not very pleasant to read.

it's also a forum rule...
Quote:
9) Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention.
Old 17th January 2003, 23:18   #3  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@scipio: I think there's a reason why people from Asian cultures often use all caps, I just don't know what the reason is.

@pighead: rest assured that your efforts are much welcome here and I'll try to recruit some volunteers for you by putting the link to this thread in the news for tomorrow.
Old 18th January 2003, 01:41   #4  |  Link
Sadamitsu

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Doom9
[B]@scipio: I think there's a reason why people from Asian cultures often use all caps, I just don't know what the reason is.

I don't know about Chinese, but when using the Japanese IME to type, you can only type western characters with caps unless you have the English IME installed.
Sadamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2003, 16:11   #5  |  Link
fileman
your boss

I'd like to see a chinese translation of doom9.org very much! I've got some chinese friends, but they are all "noobs" in terms of Divx / SVCD /... stuff, so I'll not ask them to translate, but they could benefit a lot of the translated result (just look at these very poorly encoded kung fu movies all around ;-).

Regards, fileman.
Old 18th January 2003, 19:15   #6  |  Link
nan1nan1

good idea..
but i think u'd better move ur site out of geocitie if u want ppl to see ur work,coz this site is banned in China

if u need any help,mailto: nan1nan1 at myrealbox dot com
good luck
nan1nan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2003, 22:55   #7  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

@nan1nan1:

if you want to offer your help, I'd suggest you write him an email or send him a PM... if he has to contact all volunteers he'll soon be annoyed.
Old 19th January 2003, 18:07   #8  |  Link
Blkbird

I like to point out that current translation is in Taiwan Chinese. Not only does it use tranditional Chinese charaters (which is OK), but the sample frontpage translation also uses specific (non technical) phrases impossible to be understood by the majority of Chinese people. It would be a good idea to avoid them.

Btw, the translation of "DMCA" is clearly wrong.

Greetings,

Blkbird
Blkbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 18:20   #9  |  Link
fileman
your boss

Blkbird, perhaps you could help him with the translation, and try finding other Chinese people, too? If I could write chinese (I can only speak a little), I'd be very glad to do that translation, because really many people could benefit of this work!

Regards, fileman.
Old 20th January 2003, 04:18   #10  |  Link
lyl797

I will help

Hi, Need translation to Chinese .... Let me help ...

I am a native Chinese guy ... speak fluent English and stay in USA for 15 years, now a USA citizen.

My e-mail LeonLien@adelphia.net ...

Write to me and let me know what I can help ...

LYL797
Old 24th January 2003, 14:02   #11  |  Link
Jeff_happy

hi hi~

about the translation,

i'll be very happy to help u

Jeff_cry@hotmail.com

Jeff_happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2003, 14:22   #12  |  Link
fileman
your boss

Umm... seems like pighead doesn't want to organize this translation project anymore due to some replies that took away his motivation...

I would be very sad seeing this project dying, but I can't help very much, because I can't write chinese :-(

Perhaps Jeff_happy wants to start up again and organize this project? You seem to be motivated! Or how about lyl797?

I was involved with the german translation project, and I know: the hardest thing is the start. If you manage to do this, and people see you have invested some time (for example because they see there are some pages already translated), they will be motivated to help, too.

Surely your work will be honoured... think of the millions and millions of people who would be able to read them, and therefore encode better movies!

Regards, fileman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

似乎象pighead 不要组织这个翻译项目再由于拿走了他的刺激的一
些回复。

我会是非常哀伤的看这个项目死, 但我不可能非常帮助, 因为我不
可能写中文 :-(

或许Jeff_happy 要再开始和组织这个项目? 你似乎被刺激! 或lyl797 怎么样?

我被介入了以德国翻译项目, 并且我知道: 最难的事是开始。 如果你设法做这, 并且人们看见你被投资某个时候(例如因为他们看
见有一些页已经被翻译), 他们将被刺激帮助, 也是。

肯定你的工作将被尊敬。.. 认为能读他们的成千上万和成千上万人, 并且输入因此更好的电影!

问候, fileman。

(I guess it's a rather bad translation... a machine did it for me *g*)
Old 25th January 2003, 14:19   #13  |  Link
Scipio
translation mod

@ pighead:

perhaps you should reply in a new message.
It's a bit unusual to edit the first posting, since new readers won't understand the following postings anymore... (for example my all capitals posting).
Old 25th January 2003, 17:36   #14  |  Link
pighead

Sorry

Sorry, won't do it again...
for new readers,
My first message was to inform everyone that i have a test chinese translation page that I started for doom9 (only the index, you didn't missed much, it was all wrong anyway )..oh this message was in all capitals, so it's against the rules and I didn't know...so I appologized for it and explained that it was because I got lazy and didn't swtch back from chinese Global IME in the second message.
My second message was to tell everyone that I had deleted that page due to certain problems, somepeople can't read the font, or because it was a geocities site , it is banned in china...etc. again, you didn't missed much.

Last edited by pighead; 25th January 2003 at 17:49.
pighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2003, 05:15   #15  |  Link
intoxicated

hi everybody..
5 days of waiting after I registered to this forum.....
i can now finally post something....
but it seems pighead is not willing to continue the project...
i'd like to parcipitate in the chinese traslating project...
isn't it great to let every chinese know about doom9?
maybe we should talk about it on msn or icq...

Last edited by intoxicated; 28th November 2006 at 13:07.
intoxicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2003, 07:58   #16  |  Link
andante

Hi~
like intoxicated,after waiting 5 days that i can finally post..
and i'd like to help translating, too.
it seems that Pighead has some obstacles here...
i think the first step is most important,so these must be someone to lead the project...maybe intoxicated can? or maybe i can help..
lets talk on msn.
my msn:holygod777@seed.net.tw
but i'd like to ask a question about web space...i'm not sure that we must have our own webspace to put the translated web site or we can put it on doom9?

Last edited by andante; 27th January 2003 at 08:10.
andante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2003, 10:48   #17  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

if you have your own webspace that would be advantageous, however, if you can't find anything we can put it on a spare server of mine for starters. But eventually when you have tens of thousands of visitors every day you should find your own hosting so it can't hurt to look around. Downloads are (at least for the moment) hosted on my servers anyway and that makes out the bulk of the traffic.
Old 27th January 2003, 18:59   #18  |  Link
andante

OK, i understand i'll find a webspace.
and there is a little problem...
since i'm a Taiwan citizen, i want to translate in Traditional Chinese, and China use Simplified Chinese. and there are other countries use Chinese...either Traditional or Simplified.
well, all i want to say is that we can't use a single flag to present the Chinese doom9 site. And the flag will be used in my doc-overview page and all language sites' frontpages.
So i think that's a problem...
andante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2003, 19:21   #19  |  Link
fileman
your boss

I don't think this is a big problem ;-)

Just place a "blank" page between the language selection flag on doom9.org and the two "real" chinese translation projects. On this "blank" page are two links, one for simplified and one for traditional ...
I've asked a friend of mine to translate a few pages (to make a start) with my help... funny thing - she doesn't know very much about the stuff we're doing at doom9, and I don't know much about chinese, but together it will probably work :-) This will be simplified chinese, because she's from the "continent".

Webspace won't be a big problem, too - at the beginning. Later on somebody should find good + cheap webspace in China/Taiwan.

Regards, fileman.

P.S.: I'm very busy these days, but in two to three weeks I'll have more free time. Feel free to contact me via e-Mail (f.i.l.e.man AT gmx.net) or via PM.
Old 27th January 2003, 19:52   #20  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I'm sure we can find a way to incorporate two Chinese versions of my site. Forgive my ignorance, but is there any relationship between traditional/simplified chinese and cantonese/mandarin (yeah, I know, that's completely off topic but I've always wondered).
Is there any prototype country using traditional Chinese? Maybe we could do something like we do with the English version... we use the British flag as a lowest common denominator for all countries having English as the official language.
And as I said, temporary webspace is no problem, I rather see the project get started than people looking for hosting all over the place. But then again it can't hurt to have a provider you can rely on so you won't have to go looking for another hosting when you should be coordinating translations.