Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st June 2018, 18:45   #51121  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
Well, in the end I disabled the this device is calibrated and I believe I prefer this way.

I have one more question, when using NGU you have anti alias, soft, standard and sharp.
Is it correct to assume that NGU Anti-Alias is the less demanding option and NGU sharp is the most demanding one?

I mean are those related to picture quality? NGU Anti alias will give the "worst" (in quotes because as I can see the result is really good) and NGU sharp will give you the best one?

I'm using NGU standard because it seems more natural.

Also would that be considered true for the chroma upscaling.
I'm using starnd very high quality.
Is sharp very high quality more demanding?
Look at the images posted in the Kodi thread. They will give you a better idea of what each NGU algorithm looks like.

I've settled on NGU Anti-Alias for chroma upscaling and NGU Sharp for image doubling. The chroma layer is soft and doesn't always look good when oversharpened. And the luma layer is sharp and can benefit more from sharp upscaling. That's been my observation when looking at upscaled still images of both.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 19:31   #51122  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

NGU Anti-Alias is just excellent for upscaling 480p video to 1080p! Love it!
Old 1st June 2018, 21:15   #51123  |  Link
Asmodian

I agree for SD to HD/UHD I love NGU AA.

I agree with Warner306 for upscaling HD content.
Old 1st June 2018, 23:42   #51124  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I obviously did try it myself when it came out days ago. The audio drop outs are due to the driver, no need to be so rude. Also if you did change to the new drivers, you surely had to create a new custom one yourself ?
Your post was confusing and I didn't realize that you had tested 397.93. I thought you were saying you wouldn't bother testing because the change wasn't in the release notes. Sorry if I misread. Also you mentioned audio drop outs, which suggests issues beyond a minor refresh rate mismatch in 1080p23, though it might be hardware-specific.

When I change drivers I simply create a custom refresh mode using MadVR using the EDID/CTA settings, it takes seconds and gives me near perfect playback (one frame drop every hour or so) at least in 4K23, including with 397.93. No audio drop outs here.

I don't test 1080p23 because I have no use for it (except in 3D frame packed) and I have since reverted to 385.28 due to the many issues I experience here with 39x.x.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 1st June 2018 at 23:44.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 23:55   #51125  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

hy all,

i have a problem setting up MADVR for a friend and need some help

The System is:
Windows 7 64bit
GTX 1080 mini @ 378.78 Driver
Asus 10bit Monitor 4k HDR (if needed i will ask the exact name)

MPC HC, LAV Filters and MadVR are all Up to Date.
DirectX is installed and all the stuff...

Problem:

In Madvr i set USE D3D11 - In OSD it shows D3D9
I set 10Bit in Monitor settings in MadVR - It uses only 8Bit..

I cant figure out whats wrong and why it isnt working...It should say or use d3d11 but it doesnt..And d3d11 is also a must if you wanna use 10bit if i understand correctly..

Also scaling algos dont sem to work, its like it doesnt use teh settings i set.
The madvr folder is in c:/programFiles and teh madvr folder has access rights..

And the Render Queue doesnt fill up..its hanging at 1-2..All other queues are fine..

any help would be great.. THX..

Beta

Last edited by BetA13; 2nd June 2018 at 00:04.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:12   #51126  |  Link
huhn

what player is used some player save settings differently.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:16   #51127  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Disable calibration defaults to BT.709 with a pure power curve 2.20. The gamma setting is only important if you enabled gamma processing. Most people are watching SDR content at BT.709, so this choice is not overly important.
Why is the gamma setting only important if you are enabling gamma processing?

If my display is calibrated with a 2.4 curve and MadVR is expecting 2.2 is that not going to cause an issue with the way gamma is displayed?
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:42   #51128  |  Link
huhn

no because if you have calibrated your display to gamma 2.4 it will display an not gamma altered images as gamma 2.4.
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:46   #51129  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no because if you have calibrated your display to gamma 2.4 it will display an not gamma altered images as gamma 2.4.
So I'm now confused. What is the purpose of this gamma setting then?

So it makes no difference if I select disable calibration controls?
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:46   #51130  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:
what player is used some player save settings differently.
MediaPlayer CLassic HC 64bit.
Settings are stored as .ini and the settings do save in the player since it keeps everything.

The Problem is that MadVR doesnt do what i set in the options of MadVR..

The Player is fine from what i can tell..
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:50   #51131  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
So I'm now confused. What is the purpose of this gamma setting then?

So it makes no difference if I select disable calibration controls?
it is there to change the gamma.
it's very simple how should madVR change the gamme if it doesn't know the gamma of your screen?

if you use gamma processing and want a gamma of 2.0 it has to get to that gamma different if the display is gamma 2.2 or 2.4.

BetA13 mpc.hc doesn't use different settings.
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:58   #51132  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
it is there to change the gamma.
it's very simple how should madVR change the gamme if it doesn't know the gamma of your screen?

if you use gamma processing and want a gamma of 2.0 it has to get to that gamma different if the display is gamma 2.2 or 2.4.

BetA13 mpc.hc doesn't use different settings.
Ok I think I understand.

So let's say I have a TV that has a 2.4 power curve and I would like perhaps a daytime setting of 2.2 without having to play with my TV controls, I could set MadVR to Rec709 with a 2.4 power curve and then set 2.2 under gamma processing to get my desired result. Is that about right?

If I just want to leave it as 2.4 I could simply select 'disable calibration controls for this display' bearing in mind that I could not use gamma processing as it will presume my display is 2.2. Is that also correct?
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:59   #51133  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

?!?!?!?!?!?

ummm, i think we dont understand each other

MPC HC works fine..
LAV FIlters also do theyr job.

Madvr also works...
BUT, if i try to change some settings IN MADVR, like : use Direct3D 11 for presentation (WIndows 7 and newer) , the Madvr OSD still shows that its using D3D9 even doh i did set it to use D3D11...

It is exactly set up as mine wich i use on my PC..Here D3D11 works and is showed in teh OSD..

i never encoutered such problem, and i installed and setup Madvr for a lot of friends in teh past, where i never came across such problem.

cheers
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:07   #51134  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
Ok I think I understand.

So let's say I have a TV that has a 2.4 power curve and I would like perhaps a daytime setting of 2.2 without having to play with my TV controls, I could set MadVR to Rec709 with a 2.4 power curve and then set 2.2 under gamma processing to get my desired result. Is that about right?[]
yes.
If I just want to leave it as 2.4 I could simply select 'disable calibration controls for this display' bearing in mind that I could not use gamma processing as it will presume my display is 2.2. Is that also correct?[/QUOTE]
no...
just tell madVR it is 2.4 and you can easily get 2.4 and 2.2. if you want gamma 2.2 you have to tell madVR that your screen is 2.4.

@BetA13 i said MPC-HC shouldn't be the problem and i don't know why it is happening sorry.
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:56   #51135  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Your post was confusing and I didn't realize that you had tested 397.93. I thought you were saying you wouldn't bother testing because the change wasn't in the release notes. Sorry if I misread. Also you mentioned audio drop outs, which suggests issues beyond a minor refresh rate mismatch in 1080p23, though it might be hardware-specific.

When I change drivers I simply create a custom refresh mode using MadVR using the EDID/CTA settings, it takes seconds and gives me near perfect playback (one frame drop every hour or so) at least in 4K23, including with 397.93. No audio drop outs here.

I don't test 1080p23 because I have no use for it (except in 3D frame packed) and I have since reverted to 385.28 due to the many issues I experience here with 39x.x.
No problems. I would have thought that if the latest driver had made any difference the EDID settings would still have seen an improvement. To be honest apart from the drivers showing 23.976 instead of 23.970 or 23.971 I am unsure how they can fix it for all.

Other than it being a sort of auto custom res I don't know how they can fix it.

As far as the audio side on the latest ones, it has happened on a couple of them recently, the AVR does not flash as though its dropping, but something happens, I also saw a few others mention it. I am like you I do not play games, so I am after stability and reliability so quite happy to roll back.

Last edited by madjock; 2nd June 2018 at 08:00.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:28   #51136  |  Link
veggav

My head is spinning with so much knowledge you guys are providing.

I took Warner360's advice and I'm using chroma with NGU AA and upscaling with NGU sharp.

Now one thing I don't understand is this:
The new windows 10 update shows the HDR setting along with WCG setting. Toggle this to enable HDR and WCG on and off.

But on the Nvidia side of drivers I can only choose RGB and YPbPr.
If I'm not mistaken HDR is YPbPr 10bits, right?

Ok, so if the HDR toggle is OFF, and I'm playing a movie in full screen windowed mode, and my display is at 2160p23 and on the Nvidia side it set to let application control colors, so I guess it might be YPbPr 4:4:4 in this scenario DCI is impossible, correct?

I mean WCG and DCI are the same thing?

Let's say windows is using desktop at 60hz 4:4:4 without chroma subsampling.
This is still BT709, yes? Or can you output DCI colors in 4:4:4 mode?

My head is spinning also because windows desktop seems undersaturated if BT709 is set on my TV but icons looks ok if I set DCI mode.
When I was playing a movie with calibration disabled on MadVR everything looked oversaturated with BT709 but looked ok with DCI.

So I believe I don't understand all this properly.
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 15:27   #51137  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
BUT, if i try to change some settings IN MADVR, like : use Direct3D 11 for presentation (WIndows 7 and newer) , the Madvr OSD still shows that its using D3D9 even doh i did set it to use D3D11...
Try this temporary workaround: delete madVR's folder in Program Files, then recreate it without giving the user write access rights. madVR should then only use the registry to store settings. Try and see if it 'remembers' your settings that way.
Other temporary workaround: try reinstalling madVR in folder %LOCALAPPDATA% or in %ProgramData% and see if it remembers the settings. If it does then there's a problem with the write access to Program Files.
Old 2nd June 2018, 16:36   #51138  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
?!?!?!?!?!?

ummm, i think we dont understand each other

MPC HC works fine..
LAV FIlters also do theyr job.

Madvr also works...

It is exactly set up as mine wich i use on my PC..Here D3D11 works and is showed in teh OSD..

i never encoutered such problem, and i installed and setup Madvr for a lot of friends in teh past, where i never came across such problem.

cheers
The driver your friend is using is probably a few years old. I would try upgrading it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support HDR passthrough. I don't know if it would bring D3D11 back.
Old 2nd June 2018, 16:43   #51139  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
My head is spinning also because windows desktop seems undersaturated if BT709 is set on my TV but icons looks ok if I set DCI mode.
When I was playing a movie with calibration disabled on MadVR everything looked oversaturated with BT709 but looked ok with DCI.

So I believe I don't understand all this properly.
Nvidia and madVR will ignore the Windows color settings, as long as you turned off HDR and WCG. You should keep the desktop at RGB Full at all times. Set 60 Hz to 8-bit RGB. Select each of the playback refresh rates (30 Hz and below) and set them to RGB 12-bits and save.

madVR will determine what color gamut is sent to the GPU based on the source and what is set in calibration.

The only caveat with this setup is that you'll have to use fullscreen exclusive mode with 4K content to get HDR10 passthrough to work due to a driver issue. Or, you could just output everything at 8-bits in windowed mode.
Old 2nd June 2018, 19:36   #51140  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The driver your friend is using is probably a few years old.
378.78 is only 15 months old. While this is pretty old for gaming, it should be fine for madVR.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling