Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 9th February 2010, 19:34   #1  |  Link
ZenLord

Linux CLI: transcoding HQ to PS3

Hi,

It's been 4 years since my last confession, err login to this forum and a lot has changed since then...

All of my old rips (xvid+ac3) are streamed nicely to my ps3 using mediatomb. To insert subtitles, I use the piggybacking method mencoder offers me.

Now I have a new requirement: I want to start ripping to .mkv or .mp4 since it can save me some storage space, but my ps3 won't play .mkv ans .mp4 supposedly doesn't support more than 2 channels of sound. On top of that, My new HD recorder can handle far better quality than DVD-quality, so using my transcoding script, I would be serving DVD-quality stuff to my ps3 and Full HD-tv...

In short: I have searched a lot on this subject, but I cannot get to see the complete picture: ffmpeg, mencoder or vlc to transcode? x264 or h264? mp4 or mkv or m2ts?

I need to transcode (single pass, real time) to any of these formats:
# Memory Stick Video Format
# - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
# - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
# - MPEG-2 TS (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
# MP4 file format
# - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)

I would like of course the highest possible quality and 5.1 sound - if my searches were not completely worthless, this would mean I have to transcode to m2ts, but I have no clue how to do that and I don't think I'm the first to try this (although google, doom9, videohelp, avsforums etc seem to not help me...)

Any hints? Links? Scripts?

THX!
ZenLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 19:43   #2  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

ps3mediaserver?
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:28   #3  |  Link
ZenLord

So I tried to install pms-svn since the latest stable release of pms is dated march 2009. The build failed and frankly I'm not too fond of the java-dependencies. If this is the only way to get it working, I'll live it of course, but I'd rather handle this with a transcoding script.

So, thank you very much for your suggestion, but do you know if there is a manual for the linux/CLI version of tsMuxeR? If I can find the options, I might be able to put together a script.

THX!
ZenLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 18:10   #4  |  Link
AlekseiV

Well, for PS3, can't you just remux from MKV to M2TS as long as the video and audio streams are compatible? I do something similar to play MKVs on my 360.

Or use a script like this http://sticky123.blogspot.com/2008/0...-on-linux.html

Note: I neither run Linux nor have a PS3.
AlekseiV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediatomb, ps3, transcode