Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 22nd December 2003, 19:06   #1  |  Link
FlimsyFeet

Anyone ever done letterboxed WS to anamorphic WS conversion?

Some early DVDs had a letterboxed widescreen picture instaed of the 16:9 anamorphic picture common nowadays.

When played on a widescreen TV, the picture must be "zoomed" to display correctly - this reduces quality, especially when playing NTSC discs on PAL equipment as the number of displayed lines of resolution is so much less than the equipment was designed for.

I was thinking that the picture on the DVD could be re-sized (precise bi-linear or whatever) and re-encoded to make a new anamorphic copy. I know this would introduce a bit of blurriness, but I wondered if this would be more acceptable than the scan line effect you get with a zoomed picture. Or is it just my telly that does that?
Old 25th December 2003, 12:16   #2  |  Link
DaRat

IMHO when watching lb-ed ws movies it's way better to resize them and reencode than zoom in on your dvd player. It'll be either blocky or blured depending on your equipment. If you do a reencode with cce + avysinth (imho use lanczosresize for this, gives the best result for the eyes), maybe throw in a few filters for this and that you'll end up with a almost perfect copy. O'course details wouldn't be as rich as on a true original ws dvd (since you're upsampling) but waaaaayyy better than the zooming crap.

$.02 worth
Old 25th December 2003, 19:15   #3  |  Link
hendrix
Technicolor Japan

all your ??? can be answered
here
hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2003, 23:53   #4  |  Link
jdobbs

You may also want to try using LanczosResize() with AVISYNTH. I saw an considerable quality improvement when I started using it for this type of resizing.