Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2007, 17:02   #1181  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalHabart View Post
Yes, i know. But frined of mine has also this experience that audio was at 24fps even if video was 23.976fps. And one more thing, when i encoded with x264 into mkv, i also got async. But xvid in avi was ok.
what decoder are you using for x264 ?
Maybe your CPU is to slow..on h264 its a normal Effect that you get async Audio wehn you rCPU cant handle it
ACrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 18:45   #1182  |  Link
vathimenil

I too had a similar problem. Even when feeding an AviSynth script to MeGUI specifying 23.976fps, it seems that the Xvid output is coming out at 25fps. On the other hand, the audio output from eac3to looks to be at the proper 23.976fps rate. So for a 1.5h movie, the async works out to around 3 minutes. I can "shrink" the audio track to match the 25fps and get a proper sync, but that just means the entire movie (both audio and video) is running 3% or so fast (not really noticeable, but still...) Would love to hear from anyone who has a solution to this or some suggestions as to how to tackle the problem.

On an unrelated note -it sounds like different people are getting their HD-DVDs backed up using slightly different methods. Personally, I'm getting to where I want to be, but I'm pretty sure I'm not using the easiest or "cleanest" path for getting there. I think it'd be useful if people started putting up "best practices" guides for how they are backing up their HD-DVDs to various audio/video combination output formats --that is, until someone puts out an all-in-one program that does it all for us automatically. Of course, we'll first have to find ways of muxing the HD audio codecs that are still resisting us...
vathimenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 21:14   #1183  |  Link
MichalHabart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrowley View Post
what decoder are you using for x264 ?
Maybe your CPU is to slow..on h264 its a normal Effect that you get async Audio wehn you rCPU cant handle it
Well, core2duo@6400 does not seem to be very slow CPU
My decoder is ffdshow and decoding took about 40% of CPU
MichalHabart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:01   #1184  |  Link
woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That was a good hint!

Here's version 1.2 of the "eac3to" tool:

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Changes:
- FLAC encoding works now without any input/output size limits

Disadvantage: The only way to make FLAC work with >2GB input and output files results in FLAC files which don't have a run length in the header. So if you e.g. play the resulting FLAC file in foobar2000, foobar2000 will not know how long the file plays and you won't be able to seek in the file. However, muxing the FLAC track into a MKV movie works just great and then seeking and everything works fine again.

I've made some size comparisons and here's the result:

Code:
Serenity English track, 1:59:02, 48khz, 24bit, 5.1 channels

raw/wav        : 5,74 GB (100%)
flac           : 2,66 GB ( 46%)
e-ac3 1536kbps : 1,27 GB ( 22%)
ac3    640kbps : 0,53 MB (  9%)
So the 20-30% compression number for FLAC that was given earlier in this thread seems to be wrong. I think the 20-30% number comes from reducing the bitdepth from 24bit to 16bit plus FLAC compression. If I do that, I end up with 30% file size.
thx for this app, it works for me exactly how you intended it to :0

the only issue i have right now tho, is adding a delay setting to the process? i needed to add a 1200ms delay to one of my disc's and cant seem to do it after the ac3 file is made. is this even possible with the way you chain the filters together?

other than that the ac3 file sounds amazing
woah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 00:21   #1185  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalHabart View Post
For HDTV you must use "xport -h KoH.m2ts 1 1 1"
Thank you very much. That worked.
Now I'm having difficulties muxing the elementary streams into an mkv container. I tried mkvmergegui 2.0.2 and the Haali Muxer - to no avail...

S.
Momber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:07   #1186  |  Link
Chumbo

If the m2ts file is an mpeg2 file and your output audio is actually ac3, then all you have to do is rename the mpv file to m2v and the mpa to ac3 and use your favorite muxer to mux into a ts or mpg file. Then you can use a tool like VRD to write it out to a ts file. Assuming you don't mind not using an mkv container in this case.
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:24   #1187  |  Link
honai

Quote:
Now I'm having difficulties muxing the elementary streams into an mkv container. I tried mkvmergegui 2.0.2
Strange. Just a few days ago I muxed KoH into MKV using that same tool, no problems, plays fine. What kind of error do you get?
Old 22nd March 2007, 07:29   #1188  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

A dumb question, but, how do you extract a subtitle stream from a Bluray disc? And is it in the same format as HD-DVD subpicture streams?

Thanks in advance!
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:21   #1189  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woah! View Post
thx for this app, it works for me exactly how you intended it to :0

the only issue i have right now tho, is adding a delay setting to the process? i needed to add a 1200ms delay to one of my disc's and cant seem to do it after the ac3 file is made. is this even possible with the way you chain the filters together?

other than that the ac3 file sounds amazing
The "delaycut" tool should do the trick.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:42   #1190  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
Strange. Just a few days ago I muxed KoH into MKV using that same tool, no problems, plays fine. What kind of error do you get?
I get a zillion error messages per second along the lines of "skipped 64 bytes because no DTS header was found" or something similar to that effect.

S.
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:49   #1191  |  Link
Momber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
If the m2ts file is an mpeg2 file and your output audio is actually ac3, then all you have to do is rename the mpv file to m2v and the mpa to ac3 and use your favorite muxer to mux into a ts or mpg file. Then you can use a tool like VRD to write it out to a ts file. Assuming you don't mind not using an mkv container in this case.
Hi Chumbo. Nice to see you over here.
I have no problems with BR-MPEG2-video and ac3 audio.
Kingdom of Heaven BRD doesn't have an ac3 audio track though, but DTS-HD instead. AC3Filter plays the core element fine, even via SPDIF, as it should per DTS-HD-specifications.
But apparently my MKV tools find DTS-HD hard to swallow.

S.
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:23   #1192  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momber View Post
Hi Chumbo. Nice to see you over here.
I have no problems with BR-MPEG2-video and ac3 audio.
Kingdom of Heaven BRD doesn't have an ac3 audio track though, but DTS-HD instead. AC3Filter plays the core element fine, even via SPDIF, as it should per DTS-HD-specifications.
But apparently my MKV tools find DTS-HD hard to swallow.

S.
Could dtscore help you achieve what you want? Search on it and you should find the link. I can't remember which post it is, sorry, but you should be able to find it easily.
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:34   #1193  |  Link
Momber

I had tried dtscore as soon as it came out (on the U-571 DTS-HD track) but found the resulting dts file sounded very poorly.

S.
Old 22nd March 2007, 18:29   #1194  |  Link
honai

Of course mkvtoolnix can't mux DTS-HD, so you'll have to extract the DTS core first.

As for the "poor sound" - you are aware that the DTS core of DTS-HD streams is sampled at 1536kbps? How could that sound poorly? (Unless you have a bug in your processing chain.) At that bitrate it should satisfy anyone even with high-end equipment.
Old 22nd March 2007, 19:53   #1195  |  Link
Momber

It does, when it comes out of AC3Filter or the Cyberlink Audio Decoder. But that file out of dtscore had all sorts of problems, including (but not limited to) a very subtle "beep" (for lack of a better word) in the left main channel.

S.
Old 22nd March 2007, 20:08   #1196  |  Link
j666

i get errors wile trying to convert the audio with sonic audio 4.1 is 4.2 the only one at works
?
j666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:28   #1197  |  Link
honai

@Momber

Which title are we talking about? Kingdom of Heaven?
Old 23rd March 2007, 02:20   #1198  |  Link
Momber

@honai
My present project is Kingdom of Heaven. The one I tried dtscore on was U-571 a while back. Sorry to cause confusion.

S.
Old 23rd March 2007, 02:31   #1199  |  Link
tomos

for those DTS within DTS-HD or whatever they are called, foobar2000 worked great for me.

have used it on KoH a while ago and no probs here
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 05:57   #1200  |  Link
mikeyakame
lookin for my sanity

Location: it all depends on the day and which country comes to mind
all you need to mux the m2ts into a mkv, is the nero 7.8.50 file source/async filter as it supports m2ts , after its installed load the m2ts into gdsmux, mux it to mkv with gdsmux, change the timecodes for the mkv to 23.976, remux it, then create another graph in graphedit with haali media splitter, then sonic video decoder 4.2. and load that into your avisynth script. works a charm, nero showtime from 7.8.5.0 plays back m2ts perfectly as its video decoder & audio decoders now support m2ts & eac3 (im not 100% on that, as i havent got a definite eac3 track to test on my comp).
mikeyakame is offline   Reply With Quote