Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2007, 23:16   #1  |  Link
olivierdb

HD-DVD (EVO files) to WMV HD

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to convert EVO files to WMV HD so I can stream movies from my PC to my HDTV.

Thanks.

P.S. I have Windows Vista!
olivierdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 06:58   #2  |  Link
slow4mula

ya i've been looking around for a few hours on the forum and i can't get a real answer on what to use or how to really do this...i think it's possible but a real pain to do right now...

wtf do you do after you demux the evo files into m2v and audio??? what conversion programs will do this?
slow4mula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 13:28   #3  |  Link
mvdzwaan

If you use graphedit to make a graph (with the sonic demuxer and decoder but without the renderer) you can feed this grf file to Avisynth using DirectShowSource.

I've encoded a couple of HDDVD's this, but still looking to get the DD+ track into my encoder...
mvdzwaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 14:22   #4  |  Link
olivierdb

I've noticed many folks on this forum use Sonic Scenarist 4.1 demuxer and/or decoder, but it's difficult to find! I use Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra to playback HD-DVDs and I've noticed there are many Cyberlink DirectShow filters available from within graphedit. I just don't know which ones to use and in what order!
Old 5th March 2007, 14:25   #5  |  Link
mvdzwaan

Graphedit does not allow me to add the relevant filt HD-DVD filters... But it should be anything like file source...demux...decode
Old 5th March 2007, 17:22   #6  |  Link
olivierdb

Can anyone tell me if this filter graph is correct and what the next steps would be to encode and mux to WMV? I've been wondering if crypto's WMV muxer (available on this forum) may be used here?
Old 5th March 2007, 19:35   #7  |  Link
mvdzwaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierdb View Post
Can anyone tell me if this filter graph is correct and what the next steps would be to encode and mux to WMV? I've been wondering if crypto's WMV muxer (available on this forum) may be used here?
You can feed this grf to avisynth by using directshowsource. Note Avisynth can only handle video or audio, not both at the same time
Old 9th March 2007, 21:20   #8  |  Link
sxt173

I believe there is a long thread on this matter and it is an area of continued work:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120652&page=1
sxt173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 19:55   #9  |  Link
olivierdb

Thank you, sxt173. I went thru that thread, but I didn't find what I was looking for. So far, I've been successful demuxing an EVO file to VC-1 and DD+/DTS-HD using EVO demux. I've also been able to play a VC-1 video inside WMP11. I constructed the GRF file as follows:
File Source Async. (VC-1)>Intervideo Demultiplexer>Intervideo Video Decoder.
The AVS file is as follows:
Directshowsource("C:\Path to GRF file\ivTest.GRF",fps=23.976,audio=false,seekzero=false,seek=true).trim(0,3000).
Associate the file type AVS to WMP11 and there you have it!
Getting the audio seems to be the tricky part!!!
Old 12th March 2007, 19:58   #10  |  Link
olivierdb

Anyhow, for those of you who have Sonic Scenarist 4.1 and VirtualDub running under Windows XP (there are some problems under Vista I understand!), you may use this guide.
Old 16th March 2007, 04:14   #11  |  Link
sxt173

@ olivierdb

Yeah, syncing the video and audio, or even getting each is the main problem right now. Keep an eye on the link I sent, I think that's where the main development work is going on.

My hopes: Being able to use something as easy as DVD Decrypter to rip HDDVD's to ISO.
sxt173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 19:42   #12  |  Link
olivierdb

For all ye lucky Dudes out there with an XBox 360, you may to check out the latest version of Nero...

Quote:
Xbox 360™ streaming

Now watch movies stored on your PC in any room in the house! With Nero MediaHome and the latest update of Nero 7 Premium Reloaded installed on your Windows XP operating system, you can use Nero MediaHome to stream content to an Xbox™ 360 and enjoy movies in the comfort of your living room!
Old 27th March 2007, 23:16   #13  |  Link
olivierdb

(VC-1 + DTS HD) to (xvid + mp3)

So far, I have not managed to convert any HD-DVDs to WMV HD. I am having difficulties converting the AVS files to WMV HD under Vista. However, I have patially succeeded in converting HD-DVDs to xvid + mp3, albeit out of sync! Please see the following screenshot of graphedit. Should you have any idea how to get the audio and video in sync please post on this thread.
Attached Images

Old 28th March 2007, 18:23   #14  |  Link
slow4mula

Quote:
For all ye lucky Dudes out there with an XBox 360, you may to check out the latest version of Nero...
i tried to use nero mediahome to stream a 720p wmv of the fifth element to my xbox 360. even after messing with all of the transcode settings in mediahome it would constantly stutter and pause while streaming. the movie plays fine if burned to a dvd-r in the xbox 360 itself...
Old 28th March 2007, 21:00   #15  |  Link
olivierdb

There could be several reasons for that! I presume you're streaming over a wireless connection... in which case 802.11g may not be sufficient and you would instead need a wi-fi router that supports 802.11n. Otherwise, have you tried the "keep original format" for all the transcoding options?

FYI - If you have Windows Vista, you won't need Nero MediaHome to stream a WMV movie to your XBox, because the Windows Connect media server is integrated into the Windows Media Player 11 under Vista.
Old 28th March 2007, 21:35   #16  |  Link
mvdzwaan

Quote:
FYI - If you have Windows Vista, you won't need Nero MediaHome to stream a WMV movie to your XBox, because the Windows Connect media server is integrated into the Windows Media Player 11 under Vista.
Windows Media Connect is integrated in WMP11 on XP as well...

Only use for mediahome is if you don't have a wmv file and want to transcode
Old 29th March 2007, 19:53   #17  |  Link
slow4mula

Quote:
There could be several reasons for that! I presume you're streaming over a wireless connection... in which case 802.11g may not be sufficient and you would instead need a wi-fi router that supports 802.11n. Otherwise, have you tried the "keep original format" for all the transcoding options?

ya i know that, but i'd rather use one application to stream all media types.

i was using a wired 100 mbit linksys switch, and i tried a direct cable connection as well, but neither worked very well.

i tried all the transcoding options in mediahome...didnt seem to have much effect.

all my low res divx, quicktime, etc movies streamed fine, but the 720p wmv didnt work for crap...

just fyi..
Old 30th March 2007, 00:35   #18  |  Link
olivierdb

Guide to convert HD-DVDs to WMV HD

OK, here it is! A small guide explaining how to convert an HD-DVD to WMV HD file for streaming to a wireless media player or your XBox. Feel free to chose other parameter settings for your encoding process. The ones I have used are probably not optimal and please don't forget to share your findings with the rest of the community.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Converting HD-DVDs to WMV HD.zip (244.3 KB, 5708 views)
Old 2nd April 2007, 00:38   #19  |  Link
k-c-ksum

Quote:
OK, here it is! A small guide explaining how to convert an HD-DVD to WMV HD file for streaming to a wireless media player or your XBox. Feel free to chose other parameter settings for your encoding process. The ones I have used are probably not optimal and please don't forget to share your findings with the rest of the community.

anychance of a html version. No images in wordpad
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:40   #20  |  Link
olivierdb

For those who don't have Word...

Guide to convert HD-DVDs to WMV HD with 2 audio channels

Please note that this solution is by no means the only solution possible nor is it necessarily the best! It's just proven to work for me!

If you are looking for 5.1 channel support, please refer to this post a little further in this thread!

Required software :

1) AnyDVD HD [Commercial] or BackupHDDVD [Free]
2) EVO Demux [Free]
3) InterVideo WinDVD8 [Commercial]
4) DTS/AC3/DD+ source filter[Free]
5) AviSynth [Free]
6) WM Encoder 9 Series [Free]
7) Alex Zambelli’s Windows Media Encoder Command Line Script Utility (WMCmd.vbs ) [Free]

Install guide

Installations are quite straight forward with a few exceptions:

1) To install DTS/AC3/DD+ source filter, extract “dtsac3source-full.ax” to C:\Windows\System32 then register the filter using Start>Run and entering “regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\dtsac3source-full.ax” (without the quotes!)

2) WM Encoder 9 Series should install in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder. Rename the original WMCmd.vbs located there in and extract Zambelli’s WMCmd.vbs to this location.

Conversion Guide

STEP 1: Rip HD-DVD
Use AnyDVD HD or BackupHDDVD to rip the contents of your HD-DVD to your Hard Disk.

STEP 2: Demux main EVO files
In this step, you will demux the EVO files previously ripped into namely DTS HD audio and VC-1 video.
Open EVO Demux and select the “Options” tab. Specify the following extensions respectively for video, audio and subtitles: vc1, dts and sup. Then make sure “Count Frames” and “Continue with second EVO” are checked. Next, chose the “Status” tab, browse to and select your first main EVO file. Your file will first be analyzed and the total number of “calculated frames” will appear at the bottom. Write this number down.

STEP 3: Create GRF files for the audio and video

STEP 4: Create the corresponding AVS files

Erratum: "9999" should read "3000"!

STEP 5: Create the BAT file to encode the last AVS file to WMV HD

Double click on the .bat file to start encoding…

Last edited by olivierdb; 30th April 2007 at 19:34. Reason: Pictures were not showing!