Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2002, 18:05   #1  |  Link
Mac Sidewinder

Pinnacle PCTV Driver Install Problem

I have the PCTV Pro Capture Card. I am using a Dell 8100 p4 1.3ghz, 384mb ram, nvidia 64mb gforce II w/tv out video card, 2 wd 40gb hard drives, NEC 16x DVD rom drive, Sony 160e cdrw, and a Soundblaster Live 512 sound card. I am running Windows XP w/all updates installed from Microsofts web site.

1. Windows XP sees the PCTV card and starts the new hardware wizard but can’t find any drivers to install. I can direct it to look at the installation cd (tried every directory manually) but still finds nothing.

2. I can cancel the wizard and run the installation program (PCTV v5.1 cd) and it will complete its installation. I reboot but still the same problem (the wizard can’t find drivers).

3. Since the drivers aren’t installed, the assistant program fails on the first test. The assistant text file (created upon installation) says that the two files; a_rob.sys, and v_rob.sys can’t be found in the windows\system32\driver folder. I manually copied these two files from the pctv installation cd (from the driver folder). Now the assistant will get to the last test (pctv card test) and fail there. It passes the video overlay and direct x test fine.

4. If I look at the device manager in Windows, I see two entries with question marks by them. One is called Multimedia Controller, and the other is called Video Capture. If I try to install drivers from here, same thing.

5. I have tried to uninstall the program; ran the reg delete program to remove all registry enries; deleted any pinnacle folders from my hard drive; and used the reg clean program (suggested by your web tech) to remove any mention of pinnacle, but when I re-install I get the same thing, can’t find the drivers.

6. I have tried different pci slots but didn’t help.

7. The strange thing is that when I first got the card, It installed fine and I had it hooked up with a coax cable to my vcr. The card worked fine. Since then I needed to reformat my hard drive (did a fresh windows xp install) and hooked up the card with a composite video input. Since then I can’t get windows to recognize the drivers. Does the card need a coax input to be installed?

8. I looked at the windows driver acceptance rule and they are set to allow unsigned drivers to be installed.

9. How can I manually install these drivers to get this card to work? Is this a known problem? I have look through all your faqs and read every post on the Pinnacle's web forum and the online web tech simply tells everyone to perform the uninstall procedures and re-install. I have done that 10 times now with the same problem.

Mac
Mac Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote