Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st July 2016, 07:17   #38441  |  Link
kiwijunglist

Question regarding 3d madvr reclock and mpchc.

I like to use reclock to speed up 23.976 to 24. However reclock doesn't seem to play nice with 3d movies using madvr and mpchc.

What are people's solutions for this? Is this a problem for you. Is there a good automatic solution?
kiwijunglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 07:46   #38442  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
Sure. But what else can I spend the power on, if I have it to spare and want to?
I think that's the wrong way to look at it. You should compare before and after screenshots and judge what to run based on those results.

Your call, just seems pointless using ~100W to do something you don't even notice. For lower res content those settings would make more of an impact but upscaling 1080P with NNEDI3 then downscaling with SSIM (likely 2D AR LL) isn't going to do much to the final result. Hell you might be better off just using Jinc AR. If it was a 4K screen, well that'd be a different story.

Focus on results not specifically on how many neurons of NNEDI3 you can set, this does seem to be a rather reoccurring theme here with people just taking the short route ticking boxes and setting things as high as they'll go and running into performance issues as a result..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 08:07   #38443  |  Link
Blackfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Upgrading my GPU tomorrow; going from an AMD HD 7970 (equivalent of 280X), to an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.

Yep, that's a massive jump. Looking forward to finally tone up some of my Madvr settings.

Anyone here with a GTX 1070? How are you experiences thus far?
Can someone explain to me what's going on here, I just got the GTX 1070, and I'm getting dropped frames like no tomorrow using the same settings I had with my 5 year old AMD card... the HD7970. Mind you I'm running SVP @ 75FPS too with custom settings.

So without everything is working fine with Madvr @24FPS, but otherwise @ 75FPS I get dropped frames...

Is this a driver issue? A what issue exactly? I haven't used an nVidia GPU with Madvr before...

Even without SVP, I can barely push Madvr settings above the HD7970 settings I had. You guys have no idea how disappointed I am right now...

Blackfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 08:19   #38444  |  Link
kiwijunglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleungwh View Post
Can someone please help me with it? With some detailed step by step methods? I'll really appreciate it. Thanks!
you have to install the intel software codec mentioned a few pages back. i had the same problem, view the replies to my prev questions.
kiwijunglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 10:55   #38445  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Can someone explain to me what's going on here,
The right way would be to teach you how to troubleshoot it yourself layer be layer.

First thing first, disable SVP.

The rendering time (ms) should be less than the movie frame time (ms), this can only happen when the queues are full, all of them.
If one of the queues is not filling there is a problem in that region responsible for filling that queue, you'll see that as rendering time greater than frame time.

Please report what is the status of your queues and rendering time (average).

Last edited by James Freeman; 1st July 2016 at 10:59.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 11:15   #38446  |  Link
jerryleungwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijunglist View Post
you have to install the intel software codec mentioned a few pages back. i had the same problem, view the replies to my prev questions.
May I ask why is the intel driver affecting it? I know I have both intel and Nvidia gpu but I've manualy set it to use Nvidia so why does the intel driver need to do anything?
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 11:22   #38447  |  Link
Blackfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
The right way would be to teach you how to troubleshoot it yourself layer be layer.

First thing first, disable SVP.

The rendering time (ms) should be less than the movie frame time (ms), this can only happen when the queues are full, all of them.
If one of the queues is not filling there is a problem in that region responsible for filling that queue, you'll see that as rendering time greater than frame time.

Please report what is the status of your queues and rendering time (average).
Thanks for the quick reply. Alright I seem to have fixed the issue, the GTX 1070's core and memory speeds were fluctuating (going from 200Mhz to 2000Mhz+), so I went to nVidia control panel, and set MPC.exe &MPC64 both to performance mode basically. This stopped the fluctuation of Core & Memory speeds and set them to MAX constant as soon as I open MPC.

Which worked like a charm. Here's a picture with SVP running, with my SVP Settings, and with the chroma upscaling you see + in upscaling refinement I also have SuperRes now selected at (4, linear light, anti-bloating, and anti-ringing enabled, strength @ 100%).

http://imgur.com/OonTMo4

With the 280X I couldn't do SuperRes + Jinc (well I did, but GPU usage was around 90% and fans turned really loud with the 280x)....

Anyway I still can't do image doubling, as soon as I select double luma resolution and chroma resolution with NEDI, NEDI3, or Super-XBR, the dropped frames begin to happen.
Old 1st July 2016, 12:37   #38448  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Anyway I still can't do image doubling, as soon as I select double luma resolution and chroma resolution with NEDI, NEDI3, or Super-XBR, the dropped frames begin to happen.
And that would be because you're maxing out the GPU?
Old 1st July 2016, 13:11   #38449  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
http://imgur.com/OonTMo4

May I ask why you have chosen the integrated Intel one as a processing device instead of the nVidia GPU?
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 14:51   #38450  |  Link
Blackfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
And that would be because you're maxing out the GPU?
Yes, GPU usage increases from 60% before enabling double luma & chroma resolutions, to 99%+ after enabling them and the dropped frames begin.

That's with SVP running @ 75FPS of course.

EDIT: Note that 720p videos upscaled to 1080p run fine with NEDI double luma and chroma (with GPU @ 93% usage), but 1080p videos drop frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
May I ask why you have chosen the integrated Intel one as a processing device instead of the nVidia GPU?
Because that's for SVP not Madvr. It allows for extra headroom for Madvr to work with.

My HD 4600 Overclocked to 1.5Ghz can assist SVP with GPU acceleration without too much trouble. This allowed my 280X and now my GTX 1070 to have more headroom to work with in Madvr.

Last edited by Blackfyre; 1st July 2016 at 14:55.
Old 1st July 2016, 17:41   #38451  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
What are your maximum settings for 1080p content? Many would be curious.
I haven't finalized the settings yet. But I did a quick comparison with my 980 Ti settings.

You can see it here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...IdYcnZuIWkQMA/

I also underclock my gfx cards to be 100% silent, meaning no noise from the fans what so ever (I am very picky about noise). So the gfx card speeds are not what you use out of the box.

All in all, very happy with the 1080 for madvr!

edit: I am able to bump the NNEDI3 image doubling from 64 to 128 now with the GTX 1080 for my main 1080p profile of typical 23.976fps content at 4k res.

Last edited by Xaurus; 1st July 2016 at 17:44.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 17:52   #38452  |  Link
jerryleungwh

I am having problems with the 3D play back. I am using a optimus computer which uses both intel and Nvidia graphic cards and for some reason I can't select the Nvidia for MPC- HC to work on by normal means. I found a workaround online which is making a copy of the exe file of mpc- hc and change 5he name of it then I can choose to use the Nvidia graphic card. However when I play a MVc mkv with it, it immediately crashes my computer and a blue screen pops up saying there is a problem with the intel graphic driver. When I'm using the original one which only uses the intel graphic card, it displays 3D content correctly but with no sound. What can I do to fix it? My set up us to bit stream directly to my AMP but it's not working when it's a 3D video

Last edited by jerryleungwh; 1st July 2016 at 21:01.
Old 1st July 2016, 20:09   #38453  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Still recommend Super-XBR 100-125 for chroma upscaling, also it's a lot less resource hungry than NNEDI3. Would recommend comparing them and deciding for yourself.
100 is great, anything higher is a bit too sharp. Easily noticeable in animation...causes ringing.

Truth be told, I prefer Jinc for all my scaling needs. It has minimal artifacts and is clean without excessive sharpness. You can always super-res it up a bit to get it cleaner.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 22:51   #38454  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
100 is great, anything higher is a bit too sharp. Easily noticeable in animation...causes ringing.

Truth be told, I prefer Jinc for all my scaling needs. It has minimal artifacts and is clean without excessive sharpness. You can always super-res it up a bit to get it cleaner.
AB for SuperRes + SSIM AR allow you to increase the sxbr sharpness, anyway it's all about finding the magical looking combo to your eyes and I sure as hell did with SSIM 2D 100% + sxbr75 + SR@2 LL AB@75%. Not keen on messing with anything anymore as everything looks glorious to me
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 01:50   #38455  |  Link
Barnahadnagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleungwh View Post
May I ask why is the intel driver affecting it? I know I have both intel and Nvidia gpu but I've manualy set it to use Nvidia so why does the intel driver need to do anything?
Its not the Intel driver, just Intel made the decoding library. The two are not related in any way.
Barnahadnagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:36   #38456  |  Link
Sunspark

Hi, maybe this is just a lack of understanding on my part in which case I apologize, but I wonder if the aspect ratio automatically selected for this 16:9 display is wrong.

For a tv file with resolution 1920x1088 and a draw resolution of 1920x1074, 1.79:1 is auto selected. 1920x1088 is 1.77:1 and 16:9 is 1.78:1. If one overrides it to 16:9 it pulls it a tiny bit taller.

Same with a cinema file, draw of 1920x808=2.38:1, 21:9 (2.33:1) is auto selected, file resolution is 1920x816 which is 2.35. Manually selecting 2.35:1 pulls it a tiny bit taller.

The effect of pulling it taller makes circles more round and less squat.

What am I missing here? Thanks.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 03:05   #38457  |  Link
huhn

if the file is correctly created you don't have to change anything.

1088p and 816p are not a standard but as long as the file is correctly created the result should be fine.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:36   #38458  |  Link
jerryleungwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
Its not the Intel driver, just Intel made the decoding library. The two are not related in any way.
I've installed the driver and if I choose to use Nvidia gpu it still crashes and if I use the intel gpu, 3D image shows correctly but the audio is gone. I usually bit stream the audio but when I'm doing this there's no audio at all
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:46   #38459  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
I haven't finalized the settings yet. But I did a quick comparison with my 980 Ti settings.

You can see it here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...IdYcnZuIWkQMA/

I also underclock my gfx cards to be 100% silent, meaning no noise from the fans what so ever (I am very picky about noise). So the gfx card speeds are not what you use out of the box.

All in all, very happy with the 1080 for madvr!

edit: I am able to bump the NNEDI3 image doubling from 64 to 128 now with the GTX 1080 for my main 1080p profile of typical 23.976fps content at 4k res.
Thanks for the comparison! There's a significant difference between the 2 cards.
I also like the idea of underclocking (I do it with my laptop as well). What util do you use for that? (I use nvidiainspector.)
Old 2nd July 2016, 13:29   #38460  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi were you still interested in splitting the neuron pass settings up like in MPDN?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling