Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 28th May 2018, 13:07   #1  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
Diving video

Back from my diving travel, I have a bunch of video, shooted with a cheap underwater camera.

Some are nicely balanced, others, like this, have dead red channel and a very dominant blue.

I am asking your help, to get a functional script to give back some realistic colors. I saw many video tutorials, that apply to professional (and costly) software.

I know the physic behind water color absorption depth but I have no idea about how to automatically reverse the process.

Tried with GamMaC but I get horrible results.

Thanks.
__________________
@turment on Telegram

Last edited by tormento; 28th May 2018 at 16:58. Reason: Fixed broken link
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 14:33   #2  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 986
The video link is broken
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 15:56   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer
 
StainlessS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 5,909
Yep, file dont seem to be on server.

I've just fixed an Image link in RgbAdapt thread, PostImage changed link names from PostImage.org to PostImage.cc some months ago, so some of them
(but not all) have gotten broken over time since then.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170642
here same link to RgbAdapt Graffer


EDIT: No idea how to adjust automatically, maybe get rough settings using grapher, and vary SPow (on each channel identically),
via some Blue:Red ratio, or something like that (no idea really). [EDIT: Vary args In ScriptClip]

EDIT: Maybe try Martin53(AWB) or Bernardt white Balance funcs.

EDIT: Or maybe keep all three channel Spow static, vary Red and Blue RPow as average green channel varies up and down, still no idea.
__________________
I sometimes post sober.
StainlessS@MediaFire ::: AND/OR ::: StainlessS@SendSpace

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th May 2018 at 16:14.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 15:59   #4  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,537
@ lansing - you can download with a download manager like jdownloader2 (useful but very bloated software, make sure you get the ad free version)



The red channel is almost non-existent. (e.g. convert to RGB and use showred) . Difficult to make it look realistic

You can try some weighted average of G,B +/- manipulations to reconstruct the R , but it won't look "real". It will look off

preview of R,G,B
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 16:56   #5  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
The red channel is almost non-existent. (e.g. convert to RGB and use showred) . Difficult to make it look realistic
It's possible and I do it by hand with photoshop (yes, photoshop).

This is the possible result but it's way too limited to rendering to make it an acceptable solution.
__________________
@turment on Telegram
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 17:13   #6  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
It's possible and I do it by hand with photoshop (yes, photoshop).

This is the possible result but it's way too limited to rendering to make it an acceptable solution.
That's what I said above - you can try to reconstruct the red channel - but it doesn't look "real" or that great. It will look "off"
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 16:51   #7  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
Sorry for the problematic link. Fixed.

What I do with images is use green channel to recreate red, while reducing blue component at the same time. Then I correct other aspects of image.

It's so strange there is no script yet to correct such a common thing as diving videos. We have almost anything here but that

I know it will be a trial and error process, such what happens to recolor bw, but let us try.

Two video tutorial you can take as a reference are this and this.
__________________
@turment on Telegram
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 17:05   #8  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 986
Are you sure that the fish is red? It looks yellow to me in the original.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 18:48   #9  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Are you sure that the fish is red? It looks yellow to me in the original.
It was a fast solution to give you a idea.

Anyway, the two band variant is orange.
__________________
@turment on Telegram
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 19:23   #10  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,537
If you're happy with photoshop, it can process video too

But I wouldn't crush so much detail in the corals, shadows . (e.g. you could convert to RGB with full range matrix before photoshop or using RGB filters)
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 19:49   #11  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
I think a paralenz cam will be the most practical (and expensive) solution.
__________________
@turment on Telegram
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 19:56   #12  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
I think a paralenz cam will be the most practical (and expensive) solution.
Maybe next trip, otherwise you would need a time machine

But how about rentals ? If you're not doing this frequently , maybe it makes more sense
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 08:01   #13  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
But how about rentals ? If you're not doing this frequently , maybe it makes more sense
At least here in Italy, I don't think there is a rental of that device available.
__________________
@turment on Telegram
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 20:47   #14  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 986
Your best choice is probably to get 3dlut creator for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHx0a4TKQbo
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 21:31   #15  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Your best choice is probably to get 3dlut creator for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHx0a4TKQbo
Not necessarily; there is nothing you can't do with other programs like photoshop or AE or resolve . (I know this because I have used 3dlutcreator for years, since beta testing stage) . In fact, some operations can actually be "better" in other programs because you can use a wider gamut space

You're just mixing channels that demo, and you will have the same problems . What's not shown in that underwater demo is a "red" reference object, just as "red" coral, "red" fish, skin tones etc... It might look ok for some shots, but overall it will still be "off". The main problem is missing real red channel information, and a lot of it. There is only so much you can do , by mixing G/B and doing various manipulations
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 23:29   #16  |  Link
lansing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Not necessarily; there is nothing you can't do with other programs like photoshop or AE or resolve . (I know this because I have used 3dlutcreator for years, since beta testing stage) . In fact, some operations can actually be "better" in other programs because you can use a wider gamut space

You're just mixing channels that demo, and you will have the same problems . What's not shown in that underwater demo is a "red" reference object, just as "red" coral, "red" fish, skin tones etc... It might look ok for some shots, but overall it will still be "off". The main problem is missing real red channel information, and a lot of it. There is only so much you can do , by mixing G/B and doing various manipulations
Definitely not avisynth. It would be a nightmare trying to do it without a gui. And using a lut is definitely better than trying to reproduce every step you did in photoshop with avisynth.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 01:22   #17  |  Link
poisondeathray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Definitely not avisynth. It would be a nightmare trying to do it without a gui. And using a lut is definitely better than trying to reproduce every step you did in photoshop with avisynth.
yes, yes, and yes

But I question the usefulness of a lut . If you're doing this in whatever GUI program, then why not just do it in there? If you use one that can keyframe, you can even adjust for exposure changes (eg. different depths), lighting condition changes etc...At least you can have consistent color, consistency color timing.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 07:58   #18  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
But I question the usefulness of a lut . If you're doing this in whatever GUI program, then why not just do it in there?
To quote Photoshop as an example, it has his own video rendering and codecs. I prefer to feed the output to x264.

To quote other programs, please suggest me something free or cheap with a good interface and output control. Premiere is not cheap
__________________
@turment on Telegram
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 23:58   #19  |  Link
shekh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 552
I process UW shots sometimes, I made VD plugin for it (not much different from some yuv adjust variation).
What I do is roughly these steps (in this order):
1. white balance - focused on some white/gray objects at pleasing distance
2. luma contrast (levels)
3. overall saturation boost
4. try to saturate/desaturate specific colors. Often the colors end up so much quantized it is just better to get rid of them completely.
Not science, I just get something that I like to look at.
__________________
VirtualDub2
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 07:58   #20  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g
 
tormento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Italy
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
I process UW shots sometimes, I made VD plugin for it (not much different from some yuv adjust variation).
Can you attach here a x64 version to try?
__________________
@turment on Telegram
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.