Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 1st May 2003, 17:36   #21  |  Link
oddball

The following works and does not work for me.

Divx4.x and AC3 audio plays fine although the video and audio initially judder and jerk for the first few seconds of playback. Occurs in all players.

Xvid and OGG do not playback at all in any players including The Core Media Player (Tried BSPlayer, Zoom Player, WMP etc).

Can provide sample video and audio file from problem movie for you to mux and test for yourself.

I hope these issues get resolved soon.

EDIT: OK it's definitely something to do with OGG. I tried the same video file but muxed in the AC3 audio from the other video that works fine and it played back the MKV fine even with the AC3 being from an entirely different movie file.

I've tried a few other movies that use OGG audio and they have the same problem. MKV's load up but display a black screen and will not play at all. I am using OggDS0995 and OGM's playback perfectly.

About to try an MP3 audio movie.

P.S. I also use ffdshow latest (24/4) as playback for the vide portion although this should not have an effect. Will disable it just in case though.

EDIT: EDIT:

OK MP3 plays fine but also has the slow startup and jerky video/audio in the first few seconds of playback.

OGG audio is a no go. Absolutely refuses to play any MKV's with OGG audio in them. Bummer.

Last edited by oddball; 1st May 2003 at 17:55.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 18:08   #22  |  Link
Animaniac

I remuxed an OGM with XviD video and Ogg Vorbis audio to MKV and it works fine...
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 21:03   #23  |  Link
alky

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosu
Please remember, guys, that we've called it a beta release, and that's what it still is. You might want to wait a bit before converting your big illegal movie archive

uhh the "i" word ... :P
i make my own tv rips with my hauppauge pvr...
Old 1st May 2003, 21:10   #24  |  Link
Perplx

I can't get ffvfw version of huffyuv to work, but thats not really important.
Perplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 21:45   #25  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

I noticed that it seems to cut off the last second of audio, and maybe the video. I have a clip that is maybe 30 seconds long that is DIV3, and vbr MP3 that I use to test all sorts of things. The very last thing in it is Peter Gibbons saying "Yeah, I guess it was." That is cut off when playing the MKV in mplayer2.
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 22:32   #26  |  Link
outlyer

It's great to see this. Congratulations guys!!

I'm eager to start beta-testing (after some time of alpha-testing )
outlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 23:33   #27  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

Yes there is some data missing at the beggining and the end with the DSF. We are working on the spaghetti code of the DSF to improve it. We have already corrected the jerky beggining.
robUx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2003, 23:37   #28  |  Link
oddball

Any idea why I cannot play any MKV's with OGG audio in them?
Old 2nd May 2003, 00:49   #29  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oddball
The OggDS filter is only marginaly better than the current Matroska filter, aka not very good. The problem is that the OggDS filters were thrown together by one guy who didn't release source or documentation, and has disappeared from the face of the earth. (I think Emmett has him locked in his basement) There has also not been an update to this code in a very long time. This wouldn't be an issue at all if Xiph would just put out an Ogg and Vorbis DirectShow filter. But that is a whole different issue that you don't want to get me started on.
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2003, 02:34   #30  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by oddball
Hum ... did we tell you that you need Tobias' OggDS filter to play Vorbis with matroska ? You have it installed ?
ChristianHJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2003, 10:49   #31  |  Link
nikthebak

I'm having similar problems with XviD video + Vorbis audio in them. The players just freeze up when loading the Matroska file.

I have installed OggDS0995.

Edit:

It's definetely an Ogg issue. The same video file with VBR MP3 audio works flawlessly. Using recent VDubMod to mux the files.

Last edited by nikthebak; 2nd May 2003 at 10:54.
nikthebak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:08   #32  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Nik, is it possible that you could upload a sample file somewhere, so we can have a look whats wrong ?
Old 2nd May 2003, 14:20   #33  |  Link
nexus
digitally remastered

I have the same as
nikthebak: I muxed a xvid video and two ogg audio streams. File plays fine until I seek or change to the other audio stream. Then it freezes and if I hit pause and then play again the player crashes. Its MediaPlayerClassic v6.4.4.2
I can upload a sample file on monday if it helps.

The good news: the file 3MBs smaller than the ogm (698 instead of 701MB)

--
nexus
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2003, 15:38   #34  |  Link
Gooop

xvid + 2 ogg files on 1 XCD works fine for me in mplayerc 6.442, bsplayer and TCMP. As nexus I can't switch the audio streams, but the file plays fine (video and first audio stream) if I don't try to switch.
thanks for your great work !
I can't wait for the new direct show filter
Gooop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2003, 15:52   #35  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooop I can't wait for the new direct show filter
.. we will maybe release a new, better version today ...

Last edited by ChristianHJW; 2nd May 2003 at 15:56.
Old 2nd May 2003, 16:48   #36  |  Link
murattttt
kahveisteyen

I have tried matroska just with small audio clips with VBR mp3 for consideration.
It is true that it is space efficient even to ignore an interleaving factor before encoding files.
I had the clip of 1:30 minutes long with
929.480 bytes of VBR mp3 audio
8.966.144 bytes of avi divx 4.11 ( I know it's old )
And the final size is 9.876.517 bytes
In the windows explorer normally the sum of those two files is 11.040.456 bytes
I found this vert promising. I had such a small file and I can still take advantage of space efficiency, plus the scurity that I won't have headaches with lip movements ( desynchronisation ).

I may even start encoding straightly to matroska after now. Though would I get into trouble with my recent mkv files with the forthcoming directshow filters, or is it guaranteed that they are past compatible?
( Are these words sufficient to express my problem? )
And do I run into severe problems if I just make them as XCD with *.dat file extension and burn as usual?
Edit: I have already done an XCD with 810 MBs of video+audio with divx 504 and ogg. It just plays good except the jerkiness in the beginning and of course the file seeking problem ( with MPC - didn't test with other players except WMP 6.4.09 )
Old 2nd May 2003, 20:41   #37  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by murattttt Though would I get into trouble with my recent mkv files with the forthcoming directshow filters, or is it guaranteed that they are past compatible?
You can safely use all MKV creation tools to make your movies. All files are 100% spec compliant, the current problems are only DirectShow filter related. A good proof for that is that all files created with VdubMod play fine and with perfect seeking under Linux, using Mosu's excellent mplayer patch ....
Old 2nd May 2003, 23:20   #38  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

Actually there is a problem with the mpa2mka tool and maybe wav2mka too (not spec compliant). But for video the tools are spec compliant. So it's just a matter of developping the DSF and they will always play.
robUx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2003, 01:50   #39  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

WARNING!

I thought you should all know that the mpa2mka tool and all related tools like mpa2mka-gui and the wav counterparts are NOT spec compliant. We are working to fix this. Please be patient.

Meanwhile, I have a first version of the CDL for TCMP working. It currently just displays a blank tab in the media properties and calls says that the title of every file opened is "MOOOOO! - Matroska Rocks."

Spyder
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2003, 01:52   #40  |  Link
oddball

As stated. I am using Tobias OggDS0995.exe and no MKV's will play with OGG audio in them.

I really would like to see this issue resolved somehow or it will be pointless for me to use Matroska.