Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th June 2013, 20:03   #1  |  Link
pancserzso

Layer and Overlay operation giving wrong results with RGBA image source

I would like to compose two image sources on each other, using alpha blending.

My problem is that:
1. If I just simply load the image with imagesource, the result is OK (I think it just discards the alpha channel)

2. However as soon as I do an Overlay or Layer operation, Avisynth seems to handle the alpha of the image wrong.

3. I believe the problem is pre-multiplied vs. post-multiplied alpha. I found a filter especially for fixing this, avisynth-unpremultiply (https://code.google.com/p/avisynth-unpremultiply/), however it made a totally crazy buggy colors with rainbow like blends and other bugs.

Is there any way to tell AviSynth to handle the alpha in my foreground images properly?

Here is my bg image:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/fdq7hfm679hbmh2/composebug_bg.png

My foreground image:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/t5c8rt0psu0l56o/composebug_fg.png

How it looks in AviSynth:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/h7412jh6e81t1pl/composebug_avisynth.png

And how it should look, as when composed in After Effect, and selecting "premultiplied" for the foreground's alpha:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xb9igdqd8yyby4y/ae_00000.png

This is the Avisynth script I'm trying to use (in 2.60 b4):

Code:
background = ImageSource( "e:\render_outside\draft%05d.png", 1, 5600, 24, pixel_type="RGB24" ).ConvertToRGB32()

foreground = ImageSource( "e:\render_mixer\image%05d.png", 1, 5600, 24, pixel_type="RGB32" )

Layer( background, foreground )
pancserzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 00:53   #2  |  Link
sqrt(9801)

Funny, I was thinking of making a thread for the same problem.

However, I'm not sure whether it is a matter of pre/post-multiplied alpha. To be honest, I didn't even consider the possibility before you mentioned it, mostly because I was thinking it would be caused by something like a RGB <-> YUV conversion.

For instance, this script is supposed to return the overlay layer (basic ColorBars clip fading out via alpha channel) untouched by overlaying it over a blank, transparent clip. It doesn't. It even looks like it changes the RGB values for some reason.

Code:
ColorBars(width=640, height=480, pixel_type="RGB32")
KillAudio
Trim(0, length=255)

MergeARGB(BlankClip(last, color=$FF000000).FadeOut(framecount-1, color=$00000000), 
    \ ShowRed, 
    \ ShowGreen,
    \ ShowBlue)

top_layer=last

Layer(BlankClip(last, color=$00000000), last, op="add", level=257)

Compare(top_layer, channels="RGBA", show_graph=false) # try with channels="R", "G", "B" and "A"
I've also tried with Panzerboy's Gimp-style Layer merge plug-in, no dice.
sqrt(9801) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 01:26   #3  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

Yes the alpha mask scaling is incompatible.

See this thread, "Alternative to the old Unpremultiply() plugin?", for a fixed version of the unpremultiply plugin and discussion on alternatives (lutxy etc).
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 01:49   #4  |  Link
pancserzso

Thanks IanB,

I've tried the linked version, and while it is indeed better, it's still way off from the real solution.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lat7axfw9in...remult_new.png

Actually, this image looks really similar to what After Effects looks when I'm in 8 bit mode. I had to put After Effects to 32 bit floating point mode to get the correct results.

Which is strange to me! Do pre-multiplying really need 32-bit floating point operation?
Old 28th June 2013, 15:13   #5  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancserzso View Post
Thanks IanB,

I've tried the linked version, and while it is indeed better, it's still way off from the real solution.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lat7axfw9in...remult_new.png

Actually, this image looks really similar to what After Effects looks when I'm in 8 bit mode. I had to put After Effects to 32 bit floating point mode to get the correct results.

Which is strange to me! Do pre-multiplying really need 32-bit floating point operation?
Way off ? It think if will be closer if you use showalpha() first, before using unpremultiply , but even then there are some differences in the little specs

Code:

fg=ImageSource("composebug_fg.png", pixel_type="rgb32")
bg=ImageSource("composebug_bg.png", pixel_type="rgb32")
overlay(bg, fg, mask=fg.showalpha.unpremultiply)
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 16:13   #6  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Way off ? It think if will be closer if you use showalpha() first, before using unpremultiply , but even then there are some differences in the little specs

Code:

fg=ImageSource("composebug_fg.png", pixel_type="rgb32")
bg=ImageSource("composebug_bg.png", pixel_type="rgb32")
Update!

OK, I'm puzzled for many reasons:

1. The method poisondeathray looks good, however it's just a coincidence. Upon looking at the mask, it's clear that we are pretty much discarding all the grayscale information and making a binary mask. Thus, the background is _totally_ not visible behind those areas.
Look:
normal alpha
unpremultiplied's alpha

2. Upon looking at the code, I'm even more confused.

I don't understand 2 things:
1. How could a 32-bit float operation help here. The result I get with Layer seems really similar to AE's 8-bit mode.
2. Upon looking at the code, it seems to me that alpha should stay intact. However fg.showalpha.unpremultiply() clearly shows different results compared to the normal one. How is this possible?

From cpp:
Code:
const int srcapix = srcp[w+3]  ;
dstp[w+0] = lookup[ (srcp[w+0]<<8) + srcapix ];
dstp[w+1] = lookup[ (srcp[w+1]<<8) + srcapix ];
dstp[w+2] = lookup[ (srcp[w+2]<<8) + srcapix ];
dstp[w+3] = srcapix;

Last edited by pancserzso; 28th June 2013 at 16:37.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:31   #7  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Code:
How can that work?
ShowAlpha() copies the alpha channel into R, G and B.
Unpremultiply then divides R, G and B by alpha, so you should end up with a mask with all pixels 255.

Quote:
BTW, it's still interesting that it looked the same as when AE was in 8-bit mode. Maybe by using floats for the calculation in Unpremultiply we could have the same effect.
No, the precision has already been lost in the 8-bit RGB32 input.
The result of the premultiplication needs to be stored in at least 16 bits to preserve precision.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:38   #8  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
How can that work?
ShowAlpha() copies the alpha channel into R, G and B.
Unpremultiply then divides R, G and B by alpha, so you should end up with a mask with all pixels 255.

No, the precision has already been lost in the 8-bit RGB32 input.
The result of the premultiplication needs to be stored in at least 16 bits to preserve precision.
Posted at the same time, I've realized the same thing, look at my images linked above.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:50   #9  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
I don't understand 2 things:
1. How could a 32-bit float operation help here. The result I get with Layer seems really similar to AE's 8-bit mode.
2. Upon looking at the code, it seems to me that alpha should stay intact. However fg.showalpha.unpremultiply() clearly shows different results compared to the normal one. How is this possible?
1. As I said, the entire operation needs to be done in 32 bits (or at least 16). Once you have an 8-bit premultiplied output, precision has been lost.
2. unpremultiply preserves alpha, but mask in Overlay() does not use alpha, it uses the RGB as greyscale.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:18   #10  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
1. As I said, the entire operation needs to be done in 32 bits (or at least 16). Once you have an 8-bit premultiplied output, precision has been lost.
Does it mean that the whole Avisynth operation would need to be 32-bit float? Thus it's not possible with Avisynth no matter what filter we use?

For reference, here is how After Effects looks in 8-bit mode and 32-bit float mode (just with blank background):
8-bit
32-bit float
And the Avisynth output: unpremultiply new

Last edited by pancserzso; 28th June 2013 at 18:21.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:42   #11  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Does it mean that the whole Avisynth operation would need to be 32-bit float? Thus it's not possible with Avisynth no matter what filter we use?
I meant that the premultiplication itself has to be both performed and stored in at least 16 bits.
Avisynth by itself can process only 8-bit inputs (although perhaps something could be done with dithertools?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrt(9801) View Post
this script is supposed to return the overlay layer (basic ColorBars clip fading out via alpha channel) untouched by overlaying it over a blank, transparent clip. It doesn't. It even looks like it changes the RGB values for some reason.
Changing the RGB values is correct, since each channel is set according to the formula:
output = fg*alpha + bg*(1-alpha)
However, the same formula is used for output alpha, which appears to be incorrect.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:47   #12  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Code:
background = ImageSource( "composebug_bg.png", 1, 5600, 24, pixel_type="RGB24" ).ConvertToRGB32()

foreground = ImageSource( "composebug_fg.png", 1, 5600, 24, pixel_type="RGB32" )

foreground.showalpha

m_background=overlay(background,foreground.showalpha,mode="multiply",pc_range=true)
overlay(m_background,foreground,mode="add",pc_range=true)
Any help?

David
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 18:50   #13  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
I meant that the premultiplication itself has to be both performed and stored in at least 16 bits.
Avisynth by itself can process only 8-bit inputs (although perhaps something could be done with dithertools?).
premultiplication itself you mean is what was used to generate the image. You're right, it was 16-bit, but I now converted it to 8-bit and the result is still the same in After Effects.

So, the source image is 8-bit, and somehow it's still possible to have the correct output in AE.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:56   #14  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
Code:
background = ImageSource( "composebug_bg.png", 1, 5600, 24, pixel_type="RGB24" ).ConvertToRGB32()

foreground = ImageSource( "composebug_fg.png", 1, 5600, 24, pixel_type="RGB32" )

foreground.showalpha

m_background=overlay(background,foreground.showalpha,mode="multiply",pc_range=true)
Any help?

David
Thanks! I've tried it, it does the exact opposite, almost like composing with inverted alpha.
Old 28th June 2013, 19:15   #15  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
Code:
The background needs to be multiplied by '1-fg.alpha', so I think it should be
Code:
m_background=overlay(background,foreground.showalpha.invert(),mode="multiply",pc_range=true)
Old 28th June 2013, 19:38   #16  |  Link
pancserzso

Wow, thanks, this is finally it! Perfect!

Code:
background = ImageSource( "composebug_bg.png", pixel_type="RGB24" ).ConvertToRGB32()
foreground = ImageSource( "composebug_fg.png", pixel_type="RGB32" )

m_background=overlay(background,foreground.showalpha.invert(),mode="multiply",pc_range=true)

Actually I started to understand, this is the whole point of the premultiplied alpha, that we can compose images without loss of quality.
Old 28th June 2013, 19:39   #17  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Thanks! I've tried it, it does the exact opposite, almost like composing with inverted alpha.
Strange - it's an exact copy/paste of my script, which works fine and looks very close to your AE result to me.
Old 28th June 2013, 19:44   #18  |  Link
pancserzso

Quote:
Strange - it's an exact copy/paste of my script, which works fine and looks very close to your AE result to me.
Because my background was an edge case, 99.9% black, thus you couldn't see the difference.

To make a crazy illustration, here is on a rainbow background:

with invert:

without invert:
Old 28th June 2013, 19:51   #19  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Because my background was an edge case, 99.9% black, thus you couldn't see the difference.
Ah, yes, of course! Now I think of it, I did turn up my brightness when I first viewed the background image... and then tried to brush the specks of dust off my screen!
Old 28th June 2013, 21:58   #20  |  Link
creaothceann

Quote:
Code:
background = ImageSource( "composebug_bg.png", pixel_type="RGB24" ).ConvertToRGB32()
foreground = ImageSource( "composebug_fg.png", pixel_type="RGB32" )

Wouldn't Layer be better?

Quote:
The input clips are internally converted to a general YUV (with no chroma subsampling) format
No subsampling is good, but the conversion could still make the results not bit-perfect (and maybe slower).
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote