Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 3rd June 2008, 21:44   #41  |  Link
pwolfamv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe48 View Post
Script loading should not be any slower with AVFS. I am seeing script loading take ~5 sec per DirectShowSource() in the script, with similar load times for AVFS as for reading the script directly with Virtualdub.
I'm just letting you know. The test i did was using a 90gb lagarith encoded avi (1920x1080) using avisource().

I did another test with the original EVO sources using ffmpegsource and it took about a minute or two to load. the file size in the vfs was about half the size.
pwolfamv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 08:55   #42  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

haha! sweet. now i can load any video i want into scratch via quicktime and converttorgb24(). excellent.

[edit]

even better, if i share this on the network it still works! i can load avs files into final cut pro and play them to digi now, so long as the processing and network speed are fast enough (which should be fine for standard def at least).

in case anyone wants to do this:

- make your avs, put "converttoyuy2()" at the end. make sure the avs file is somewhere shared on the network.
- mount it the long way, so you can give "everyone" read permission
- go to your mac, open the avi file, ignore the "baaw! no codec" error, save a reference movie, open that ref movie in textedit, searchreplace "YUY2" with "yuvs" (this is case sensitive), and it should magically work. with FCP in "unlimited RT" you may be able to play out as-is, otherwise just render it and know it's more reliable than qtoutput...

i haven't tried ingesting into avid yet, but i'm sure that works too.

Last edited by Mug Funky; 5th June 2008 at 09:51.
Mug Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 16:08   #43  |  Link
Smetvid

This thing works great so far!

I tried it with Avid Liquid by treating the clip as RGB. Avid Liquid never works with anything and it will only load DV, RGB and mjpeg avi files. The clips even come in with the correct properties and settings. The only problem is they are very very slow. I get about 1 fps playback with these clips even though I am just feeding a mjpeg sample that plays perfectly fine in Liquid when I import it directly. The only problem is that Liquid thinks it is a realtime clip and it expects it to playback at full speed. The only way to do a force render is to put an effect on the clip. I never expected this stuff to playback in RT but it would be nice if it could be a little bit faster.
Smetvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 16:31   #44  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smetvid View Post
I get about 1 fps playback with these clips even though
Is the 1fps due to processing in the script, or do you think there is some sort of compatibility problem?

Things you could try:
- Try the virtual AVI in VirtualDub, see if it plays faster.
- Copy the virtual AVI to a real file and try it.
- Save the virtual AVI through VirtualDub and try it. VirtualDub has more mature AVI formatting logic.
- Monitor pfmhost.exe (and ...) CPU usage in task manager.

Joe L.
joe48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 18:28   #45  |  Link
Zarxrax

Quote:
The only problem is that Liquid thinks it is a realtime clip and it expects it to playback at full speed. The only way to do a force render is to put an effect on the clip. I never expected this stuff to playback in RT but it would be nice if it could be a little bit faster.
That sounds exactly like a problem that Premiere Pro has if you are using the avisynth script import plugin with it. It "expects" the clips to be able to play in realtime, but they often can't, and you have to put an effect on them to make it render.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 19:18   #46  |  Link
Smetvid

To be totally fair this is a 1920x1080 clip and perhaps avisynth just doesn't handle HD all that fast.

I tried the clip in virtual dub and it plays a little bit faster but not much. I think it is around 5 fps.

cpu usage is around 42% on my single 3.0 Ghz cpu with 2 GB of ram.

Again this HD mjpeg clip will play perfectly fine on this system in it's native form.
Smetvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 21:03   #47  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
To be totally fair this is a 1920x1080 clip and perhaps avisynth just doesn't handle HD all that fast.

I tried the clip in virtual dub and it plays a little bit faster but not much. I think it is around 5 fps.

cpu usage is around 42% on my single 3.0 Ghz cpu with 2 GB of ram.

Again this HD mjpeg clip will play perfectly fine on this system in it's native form.
try turning off HT

I had to do that a few times to get certain clips to play smoothly
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 00:33   #48  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

AVFS 0.0.0.2 released, 2007.06.09

Available at: http://www.turtlewar.org/avfs/

Changes
--------

- Added background read-ahead cache to improve CPU utilization on multi-core systems or when serving data through the network. Includes some tuneability via AVFS_ReadAheadFrameCount script variable.

- Added AVFS_AVI_VidFcc script variable, to allow overriding video format fourcc code. Useful to improve compatibility with specific encoders or readers that do not recognize the YUY2 or YV12 fourcc codes used by default.

- Added some diagnostic/status tracing, visible using Pismo Trace Monitor. Shows the frame number and audio sample offsets that are being accessed to satisfy read requests.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:53   #49  |  Link
mikeytown2
Resize Abuser

Running andLinux Beta 1 (04/21/2008), and using cofs to access the NTFS drive, andLinux can not read the fake dir. This is not a show stopper because it can be read using a sambia share. Just thought i would let you know. The problem probably exists in cofs since direct NTFS reading is still experimental.

Thanks for developing AVFS, its quite amazing!
mikeytown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 17:04   #50  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeytown2 View Post
Running andLinux Beta 1 (04/21/2008), and using cofs to access the NTFS drive, andLinux can not read the fake dir.
I can guess as to why COFS access does not work. The Windows half of the COFS code may open files as system instead of as the user who is running Linux. If so then there will be other effects, like the inability to access NTFS encrypted files, bypassing some 3rd party Windows security software, maybe even privilege escalation vulnerabilities. Anyway, just guessing.

A work-around in Pismo File Mount is probably possible. It is not an AVFS specific problem.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:34   #51  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

So, wait a second. Could I use this to create an avs script on one computer, have another linux computer connect to that script via network share, and then use my linux computer to encode that script? Is all avs processing done on the host computer? Like am I feeding raw data to my linux computer?

I am thinking that I might be able to apply this so that I run all of my scripting on an Avisynth and AVFS enabled XP machine, and then via a gigabit network, send the raw data a 64-bit Gentoo install were I encode the final output using mplayer with x264.
Old 10th June 2008, 20:12   #52  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777 View Post
I am thinking that I might be able to apply this so that I run all of my scripting on an Avisynth and AVFS enabled XP machine, and then via a gigabit network, send the raw data a 64-bit Gentoo install were I encode the final output using mplayer with x264.
This should work. Post your results if you try it. Most interesting is how much CPU utilization you are able to get on each machine. Ideally at least one of the machines would have one CPU core fully utilized.
Old 10th June 2008, 21:06   #53  |  Link
Adub

Cool. I can't do it yet, but I might be able to get it working this summer. If I do (or don't) get it working, I will be sure to post back.
Old 11th June 2008, 20:35   #54  |  Link
Adub

Okay!! I got it working!! Which is good. However, it's disappointingly slow.

Here is what I did:

I mount that shared folder in my linux machine with "sudo mount -t smbfs //ip.add.res.s/Videos /media/share"

I can browse around the shared folder and play the files using mplayer. I can even encode them!! Now, here is where the example comes in.

If I take my example file, and stream it directly to x264 via mencoder, I can get around 122fps on the first pass and ~12.18 fps on the second pass.

However, if I use AVFS, I get around 15fps on the first pass. I didn't even test the second pass.

The script was very simple, just a basic "Directshowsource("example.mkv")". I don't know if there is something I can do to improve it, but right now it's too slow for me to use in my encoding pipeline.

Edit: And as to CPU utilization, I didn't get above 20 % on either machine. The one running AVFS barely went above 10.
Old 11th June 2008, 20:42   #55  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

betcha your network maxed out
SMB is stupidly inefficient...
Old 11th June 2008, 20:57   #56  |  Link
Adub

But, that makes no sense. Using the same network and same mounting techniques, I got 122 fps without using AVFS to 15 fps using AVFS. That makes little sense.

Unless.....Oh!!! Is it because I am sending UNCOMPRESSED? And that would result in bigger frame sizes, thus resulting in the decreased network speed, thus the decreased encoding speed. Is there a better alternative to SMB?

Note: This was on a 100mb network. Maybe if I can't fix it with an alternative to SMB, would an upgrade to 1000mb network work?
Old 11th June 2008, 21:00   #57  |  Link
mikeytown2
Resize Abuser

Quote:
Okay!! I got it working!! Which is good. However, it's disappointingly slow.
Since the network seems to be the bottleneck, make AVS the bottleneck. What i mean is, this would be useful when the AVS script takes 100% cpu, because then the network would no longer slow you down. So the idea of using this would make since when using monster scripts.

Also for alt to SMB i found this thread
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=308559

Edit: look at the taskman networking tab to make sure the network is maxing out

Edit2: If your looking at 10GB net, its about 400 bucks per computer...

Last edited by mikeytown2; 11th June 2008 at 21:18.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:03   #58  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
However, if I use AVFS, I get around 15fps on the first pass. I didn't even test the second pass.
RGB24 AVI at 720x480 is ~1MB per frame. 80% of 100Mbit network is ~8fps. 30% of 1Gbit network is ~30fps. The frame rates double for YV12. Depending on your network, 15fps may be all you can hope for. The 2nd pass may run at the same speed though.
(Hope I got the math right)
Old 11th June 2008, 21:13   #59  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe48 View Post
RGB24 AVI at 720x480 is ~1MB per frame. 80% of 100Mbit network is ~8fps. 30% of 1Gbit network is ~30fps. The frame rates double for YV12. Depending on your network, 15fps may be all you can hope for. The 2nd pass may run at the same speed though.
(Hope I got the math right)
maybe passing it off to an i-frame only lossless codec could speed it up?
huffman maybe
should double or so the network access
shouldn't be to hard to do either
Old 11th June 2008, 21:46   #60  |  Link
mikeytown2
Resize Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami-Sama View Post
maybe passing it off to an i-frame only lossless codec could speed it up?
huffman maybe
should double or so the network access
shouldn't be to hard to do either
VLC sounds like it could do the job. Speaking of VLC, could it accept avs files for input?