Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2012, 17:58   #12921  |  Link
witek

Hi, I'm not sure if this was discussed here before but I couldn't find much about it on the internet. Anyway I wanted to use madVR for quite some time but any time I try to use it, it always messes up my subtitles. Fonts are ok, but the subtitles are too big and they are dislocated and I guess these things are usually set in the video file. Of course when I use MPCs default renderer everything looks fine. Any ideas on what I could do?
witek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 18:06   #12922  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by witek View Post
Hi, I'm not sure if this was discussed here before but I couldn't find much about it on the internet. Anyway I wanted to use madVR for quite some time but any time I try to use it, it always messes up my subtitles. Fonts are ok, but the subtitles are too big and they are dislocated and I guess these things are usually set in the video file. Of course when I use MPCs default renderer everything looks fine. Any ideas on what I could do?
madVR doesn't have a subtitle renderer. The problems that you see with your subtitles are associated with what's in the file or some wrong MPC subtitle renderer setting.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 18:24   #12923  |  Link
witek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
madVR doesn't have a subtitle renderer. The problems that you see with your subtitles are associated with what's in the file or some wrong MPC subtitle renderer setting.
Well I checked this on the same file and I just changed the video renderer and nothing else. On for example EVR everything looks "like it should". I looked through the settings in MPC and I wasn't able to find anything that seemed to be wrong.
Old 30th March 2012, 21:15   #12924  |  Link
sneaker_ger

(vanilla) EVR does not support MPC-HC's internal subtitle filter, while madVR does. Chances are, you are using an external subtitle renderer with EVR. The internal subtitle filter has an option for subtitle positioning ( Options -> Subtitles -> Default Style -> "Position subtitles relate to the video frame" must be checked with a black mark, not grey or empty), which you could try, but it is often wrong anyways. You can disable it by unchecking Options -> Playback -> "Auto-load subtitles".
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 21:26   #12925  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
(vanilla) EVR does not support MPC-HC's internal subtitle filter, while madVR does. Chances are, you are using an external subtitle renderer with EVR. The internal subtitle filter has an option for subtitle positioning ( Options -> Subtitles -> Default Style -> "Position subtitles relate to the video frame" must be checked with a black mark, not grey or empty), which you could try, but it is often wrong anyways. You can disable it by unchecking Options -> Playback -> "Auto-load subtitles".
@witek Just to give you a different opinion: My setup is as sneaker said here but I never have problem with subtitle positioning. I prefer MPC-HC's internal renderer because I can do native resolution texture that way.

By the way, I just realized you always say MPC. Are you using the old MPC or MPC-HC?
Old 30th March 2012, 22:15   #12926  |  Link
witek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
That did the trick . I never thought it could be caused by that option. So both things worked. When I checked the "Position subtitles relate to the video frame" option (previously it was marked with a square) everything started to look normal, after that I checked what will happen if I disable the "Auto-load subtitles" subtitles option and it gave me the same result. In the end I ended up wit disabling autoload because then when I pause a movie the subtitle doesn't disappear.

And yes I meant MPC-HC I was just too lazy to write the whole name xD.

Thanks for all the replays and help you guys gave me. Now I can finally watch movies in the best quality I can get .
Old 31st March 2012, 09:46   #12927  |  Link
magnusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Well, the problem is that it's all relative. How can I be sure of that?
Also make sure your samsung tv is set to hdmi black level to Normal. If you are going to use RGB 0-255.
magnusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 21:40   #12928  |  Link
shaolin95

So I finally decided to try a GTS 450 to use Cuvid instead of my HD2600 Pro with DXVA Native.
Well, first impression yesterday was not very good. It was smooth (which it was already with my previous one) but like it lacked a lot of punch to the image. I thought it was a matter of PC vs tv settings but did not look like it.
Then I started to think the problem was my contrast and brightness settings were somehow incorrect for this card...no idea why.
So I tweaked those and it started to look better..and details looks more refined (maybe I am using the sharpening in the nvidia settings)
Although in reality, changed to video playback section did nothing only the ones for desktop (the color vibration thing) worked.
So any settings I might be missing? I tried the ones in madvr changing from 0-255 to 16-235 and I can see the change there.

Is it possible two video cards will require different Contrast and Brightness with my projector? One thins that may not be related to the settings could be that with the ATI card I was using their DVI like adapter to HDMI and with Nvidia I am using a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter.
I am going to play with it tonight and switch cards (luckily I got one on Vista to test and the real on in W7 and no, both look the same before the switch)
Regards
Old 1st April 2012, 00:10   #12929  |  Link
sixor

madvr stopped working for me, just showing me a black screen video no matter what, i changed to evr and it works

so the problem should be 2 things:

1)mpchc 161 4193
2)using latest nvidia drivers for a gtx680, in a gtx460 with a modded inf
Old 1st April 2012, 00:11   #12930  |  Link
namaiki

It's the drivers. See one or two pages back.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 00:32   #12931  |  Link
sixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
It's the drivers. See one or two pages back.
thanks sir
Old 1st April 2012, 08:49   #12932  |  Link
bitola

I apologise if this has already been answered. With a nvidia card would I use gpu or dislpay scaling when madvr used as the video renderer. I have a pio kuro 8 gen which does I supose decent scaling.
bitola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 09:53   #12933  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitola View Post
I apologise if this has already been answered. With a nvidia card would I use gpu or dislpay scaling when madvr used as the video renderer. I have a pio kuro 8 gen which does I supose decent scaling.
GPU. From the features of the 1st post of this thread:
- bypasses graphics card's video (damage) algorithms
- all work is done via GPU shaders
- no shortcuts, highest quality has priority over anything else
Old 1st April 2012, 16:11   #12934  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
So I finally decided to try a GTS 450 to use Cuvid instead of my HD2600 Pro with DXVA Native.
Well, first impression yesterday was not very good. It was smooth (which it was already with my previous one) but like it lacked a lot of punch to the image. I thought it was a matter of PC vs tv settings but did not look like it.
Then I started to think the problem was my contrast and brightness settings were somehow incorrect for this card...no idea why.
So I tweaked those and it started to look better..and details looks more refined (maybe I am using the sharpening in the nvidia settings)
Although in reality, changed to video playback section did nothing only the ones for desktop (the color vibration thing) worked.
So any settings I might be missing? I tried the ones in madvr changing from 0-255 to 16-235 and I can see the change there.

Is it possible two video cards will require different Contrast and Brightness with my projector? One thins that may not be related to the settings could be that with the ATI card I was using their DVI like adapter to HDMI and with Nvidia I am using a mini hdmi to hdmi adapter.
I am going to play with it tonight and switch cards (luckily I got one on Vista to test and the real on in W7 and no, both look the same before the switch)
Regards
When you used DXVA Native, you did have Video settings disabled at CCC? Also, you didnīt use madVR if you were using DXVA Native... So, try first use the calibration settings and gamma correction from madVR before changing any projector settings... Try also google your projector settings, if somebody has made good calibrations for you, if you donīt own the required equipment
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 17:06   #12935  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
When you used DXVA Native, you did have Video settings disabled at CCC? Also, you didnīt use madVR if you were using DXVA Native... So, try first use the calibration settings and gamma correction from madVR before changing any projector settings... Try also google your projector settings, if somebody has made good calibrations for you, if you donīt own the required equipment
Thanks for the reply.
I do have my projector setup for the best IQ which is why I dont touch anything on it but the contrast and brightness but good news, it is a beast now!
I got it to outclass the previous IQ and just smoothness. I am glad I did the change for sure...and glad I dont have a wife so I can spend hours drooling on my setup
I am currently not using Powerstrip but the Nvidia contro panel to create a custom 47.952 resolution and when pressing CTRL+J I see it showing 47.950 so I think that is decently close.
I think I had the settings as letting my projector downsize the image (720p Infocus 7210) because from previous tests sending a 720p image instead of 1080p actually gave me less detail than letting the projector downconvert. This was tested with a 50mm prime lense taking samples images to make sure it was not a placebo.
So all in all, I am very happy and for $55 for a used gts450, I cannot complain about it.
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:51   #12936  |  Link
Xello

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post
My GTX 680 findings with NVIDIA WHQL driver 301.10. Windows 7 X64 SP1. Connected to 63" Samsung Plasma using hdmi.

Had to do the inf fix for 0-255 rgb before install.

Madvr gave a blank picture (all black) if "use a separate device for presentation (Vista / Windows 7 only)" was checked. When that was unchecked everything worked as normal
Nice one, it is working now. But I know there is a reason I had that ticked, and I think it is to do with tearing. With it unticked I no longer get black screen but i am getting intermittent tear again
Xello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:42   #12937  |  Link
magilvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Actually, I believe the most important feature of madVR is not scaling...
For me the best madVR feature is by far the perfect video smoothness which paired with auto resolution and refresh change is unmatched by any other renderer. I'm terribly sensitive to micro-stuttering.
magilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:01   #12938  |  Link
sixor

i just wish mad had some sort of shaders like mpchc (16-235 + sharpen complex2), sometimes i feel i get more quality in that way than using madvr
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:24   #12939  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixor View Post
i just wish mad had some sort of shaders like mpchc (16-235 + sharpen complex2), sometimes i feel i get more quality in that way than using madvr
You don't HAVE to use madVR, you know. You could always use MPC-HT with shaders and another renderer, of Janwillems tryouts.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:09   #12940  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixor View Post
Or you could have your cake and eat it too by using ffdshow Raw and MadVR, doing this is more CPU intensive though.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling