Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 25th January 2008, 23:42   #2981  |  Link
Richum

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Sounds strange. I don't know such problems. Maybe your HD DVD drive is in a bad state? I'd also suggest checking your playback chain. Maybe the remuxes are fine and just the DirectShow filters you're using screw up the audio sync? Can't really say from here...
The HD DVD drive I have is new and it has ripped, and also can play Transformers with PowerDVD, so I suspect it is OK. However one never knows.

It could be the filters, I have a free program from River Past called direct show detective, it polls the machine collects a list of what is installed. I could run it and post the results here if it would help. I wouldn't know what I was looking at, sorry.
Old 26th January 2008, 00:01   #2982  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
sorry, but I cant access the movie on my HD right now, I just remember it was at least once during that mexican wedding trip from that nanny and in few other situations. though there werent too many of those occasions in that movie.

Just watched the whole wedding scene. No problem. Did you rewrite the timestamps with mkvmerge?
mkvmerge introduces rainbow frames on some tiltes
Old 26th January 2008, 00:19   #2983  |  Link
esoteradactyl

when converting DTS HD to flac, do the audio settings for the sonic decoder need to be set to anything specific?
Old 26th January 2008, 00:43   #2984  |  Link
Yraen

Quote:
Thanks!

Could you please retry with v2.18? I think those gap/overlap complaints should be solved in that version.
No gaps or overlaps present in The Matrix with v2.18, with or without pulldown. I'll set the other two movies of the trilogy to extracting overnight, but I doubt anything will appear there. I did notice that the -stripPulldown ran 23 minutes faster this time.

Last edited by Yraen; 26th January 2008 at 00:46. Reason: added time info
Old 26th January 2008, 01:34   #2985  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
Just watched the whole wedding scene. No problem. Did you rewrite the timestamps with mkvmerge?
mkvmerge introduces rainbow frames on some tiltes
yes, I always do this, because of adding subs and adding info to video and audio stream.
so you mean you watched only that wedding part itself? try again with the whole mexican part, when they arrive there please
Old 26th January 2008, 04:16   #2986  |  Link
intomed

Madshi,

Bad news. I just did a fresh re-rip of POTO (US HDDVD version). Followed by EVO-->MKV (via the following command line: eac3to pevob_1+pevob_2 movie.mkv). When completed played the subsequent MKV file in MPC (no sound) and still had major macroblocking/rainbow effect. Is there anything else you would like me to try?
Old 26th January 2008, 05:01   #2987  |  Link
bertox

Hi. Thanks for this app Madshi, first!! Saves me a lot of time.
But...i encountered some problems (to me, particularly).
I'm using eac3to with eac3togui to decode my DVD-Audio MLP files to Wav for two reasons: PowerDVD (the only player who reads DVD-A) is not using KernelStreaming, what i use in Foobar2000 for better sound quality; and the downmixes options of PowerDVD are very bad to me, and i need them since i don't have a multispeaker system, only stereo.

I like to see downmix option in eac3to..., but...why ProLogic II???? Seems to be horrible for me.
Why not a simple sum of channels?
Could you add a more flexible Downmix option like a independent volume change in every channel? Or minimum a sum of channels and an 8 or 9 db attenuate option (for all channels at same time for saturating mix avoid)?????

Something like this:
FL' = FL + C + LFE + SL
FR' = FR + C + LFE + SR

plus -9db (attenuate) for every single channel...or better...independent control volumes for such one!!! This part is important to avoid mix clipping.

This is what i want. No rare downmixing like prologic who sounds strange to my ears...

I don't want to use SoundForge anymore for downmixing stuff...

Another thing, for the Eac3toGui author. Can you add for source MLP files???
I'm really tired of re-naming my MLP files to THD or DTSHD to be accepted by this Gui!!!!!

Thanks. Víctor, from Argentina (sorry my bad english..)

Last edited by bertox; 26th January 2008 at 05:14.
Old 26th January 2008, 08:37   #2988  |  Link
intomed

Oh...by the way Madshi, the version of eac3to that I used was 2.18.
Old 26th January 2008, 09:21   #2989  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richum View Post
It could be the filters, I have a free program from River Past called direct show detective, it polls the machine collects a list of what is installed. I could run it and post the results here if it would help. I wouldn't know what I was looking at, sorry.
It's not very important which filters you have installed. It's much more important which filters you're actually using for playback. So that list of installed filters wouldn't really help.
Old 26th January 2008, 09:24   #2990  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
yes, I always do this, because of adding subs and adding info to video and audio stream.
so you mean you watched only that wedding part itself? try again with the whole mexican part, when they arrive there please
You don't need to (and probably shouldn't) rewrite timestamps for VC-1 movies, anymore, when using eac3to v2.18 or newer. Of course you can still add audio tracks and subtitles. But no timestamp rewriting for VC-1, anymore, please. It will most probably not improve things, the chance is bigger than it will screw things up. With eac3to v2.18 the timestamps should be as good as possibly can. Plus the fps is added to the MKV header now, too. So there's no benefit whatsoever that timestamp rewriting could bring, as far as I can see. Of course things are different for MPEG2 and h264 movies right now cause I'm still using the Haali splitter for those which is giving out funny timestamps sometimes...
Old 26th January 2008, 09:25   #2991  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by intomed View Post
Bad news. I just did a fresh re-rip of POTO (US HDDVD version). Followed by EVO-->MKV (via the following command line: eac3to pevob_1+pevob_2 movie.mkv). When completed played the subsequent MKV file in MPC (no sound) and still had major macroblocking/rainbow effect. Is there anything else you would like me to try?
I'm said to hear that. I guess (hope) the image is screwed up right from the start? If so, could you provide me with a very little sample (e.g. 30-50MB)? That would be most helpful. Thanks!
Old 26th January 2008, 09:33   #2992  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertox View Post
But...i encountered some problems (to me, particularly).
I'm using eac3to with eac3togui to decode my DVD-Audio MLP files to Wav for two reasons: PowerDVD (the only player who reads DVD-A) is not using KernelStreaming, what i use in Foobar2000 for better sound quality; and the downmixes options of PowerDVD are very bad to me, and i need them since i don't have a multispeaker system, only stereo.
Why don't you use FLAC? Foobar2000 has very good FLAC decoding built in and it's lossless. So you will save space without losing even a single bit of audio quality.

Quote:
I like to see downmix option in eac3to..., but...why ProLogic II????
Because eac3to's main target is home cinema. And ProLogic II is the best choice we have for that purpose.

Quote:
Why not a simple sum of channels?
Because no receiver on earth can properly reconstruct the channels from such a simple sum of channels.

Quote:
Could you add a more flexible Downmix option like a independent volume change in every channel? Or minimum a sum of channels and an 8 or 9 db attenuate option (for all channels at same time for saturating mix avoid)?????

Something like this:
FL' = FL + C + LFE + SL
FR' = FR + C + LFE + SR

plus -9db (attenuate) for every single channel...or better...independent control volumes for such one!!! This part is important to avoid mix clipping.

This is what i want. No rare downmixing like prologic who sounds strange to my ears...

I don't want to use SoundForge anymore for downmixing stuff...
The programming of a different mixing matrix is not a big problem. But keeping the usage of eac3to as simple as possible is. Now offering a volume control for every single channel would require me to add at least 8 new parameters which would dramatically increase the size of the help text. If eac3to was a GUI it would be much easier to add such options without making things more complicated. But adding another 100 options to a console program really does damage ease of use. Because of that reason I'm trying to avoid adding shitloads of new options, unless it's really very important. So I'm sorry to say, but at this point in time I don't like the idea of adding a multitude of new options for one single user...
Old 26th January 2008, 09:33   #2993  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteradactyl View Post
when converting DTS HD to flac, do the audio settings for the sonic decoder need to be set to anything specific?
Nope.
Old 26th January 2008, 09:40   #2994  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
You don't need to (and probably shouldn't) rewrite timestamps for VC-1 movies, anymore, when using eac3to v2.18 or newer. Of course you can still add audio tracks and subtitles. But no timestamp rewriting for VC-1, anymore, please. It will most probably not improve things, the chance is bigger than it will screw things up. With eac3to v2.18 the timestamps should be as good as possibly can. Plus the fps is added to the MKV header now, too. So there's no benefit whatsoever that timestamp rewriting could bring, as far as I can see. Of course things are different for MPEG2 and h264 movies right now cause I'm still using the Haali splitter for those which is giving out funny timestamps sometimes...
I still will need another remux with mkvmerge, because of adding subs & adding video and audio stream info. so even if before everything should be ok already, as long as theres no other tool which can also do this, my final mux will always be with mkvmerge.
Old 26th January 2008, 10:01   #2995  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I still will need another remux with mkvmerge, because of adding subs & adding video and audio stream info. so even if before everything should be ok already, as long as theres no other tool which can also do this, my final mux will always be with mkvmerge.
Please reread my post. I clearly said: "Of course you can still add audio tracks and subtitles". But you should not rewrite timestamps. Do you understand the difference? You can add audio tracks and subtitles with mkvtoolnix without rewriting the timestamps, you know?
Old 26th January 2008, 10:02   #2996  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by intomed View Post
Madshi,

Wait a moment, I think it's my fault. Could you please retry with v2.19? If it still fails with v2.19, getting a sample would be great, though.
Old 26th January 2008, 10:44   #2997  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

eac3to v2.19 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Code:
* fixed h264 bitstream parsing of framerate information format
* fixed (again) muxing of some rare VC-1 titles like e.g. POTO USA
Old 26th January 2008, 11:29   #2998  |  Link
nautilus7

Thanks, again, for the update.

* Regarding POTO, you didn't ask intomed what renderer is using...

* Regarding downmix... It's fine i think. But you could also add upmix with dolby prologic II (any source --> 5.1) or/and dolby prologic IIx (any source --> 7.1).
Old 26th January 2008, 11:32   #2999  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
* Regarding POTO, you didn't ask intomed what renderer is using...
True. But since I know that this movie has always made problems with the MS VC-1 decoder I was quite sure he was using that. intomed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
* Regarding downmix... It's fine i think. But you could also add upmix with dolby prologic II (any source --> 5.1) or/and dolby prologic IIx (any source --> 7.1).
Downmixing is quite easy to do. Upmixing is much more complicated, as far as I know. I don't know how to do this properly, so I better don't even try. Furthermore I've more important things to do like e.g. adding my own splitter for MPEG2 and h264 movies to get perfect timestamps for those, too. And finally adding Blu-Ray support sooner or later (not too soon, though).
Old 26th January 2008, 11:37   #3000  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Please reread my post. I clearly said: "Of course you can still add audio tracks and subtitles". But you should not rewrite timestamps. Do you understand the difference? You can add audio tracks and subtitles with mkvtoolnix without rewriting the timestamps, you know?
IIn my experience some titles can be screwed up (rainbow frames) just by running the mkv file through mkvmerge (even without rewriting the timestamps). I have not found thoose rainbow frames in Babel HD DVD (no time to watch the whole file yet) but I have encountered the same problem with some Blu-ray titles.

Today I will redo all titles with problems I talked about before.

Writing a detailed report on problems for you.

Should I use both 2.19 and 2.14? Or is it enough to count on 2.19?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to