Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 7th June 2010, 07:27   #1541  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

I'm interested in purchasing a nVidia card so I can use DG NV Tools after having great difficulty decoding BBC HD video using software methods. I have a HD3850 512MB video card currently where the cards idle power consumption was an important thing when I decided to purchase it. ATI latest cards do use less power than nVidia, probably due to AMD's CPU design experience, it's not a myth like I have seen mentioned. It's a pity that ATI doesn't get it's act together and provide a means to program for it's GPU's like nVidia does.

Seeing as there is no ATI GPU assisted decoder for AVISynth and there seems like very little chance of one being produced, I have decided to add a nVidia card as a 2nd Video card in my PC and the card needs to have very low idle power consumption but provide good decoding capabilities. I have read through most of this thread and a large part of the NV Tools development notes and nVidia correspondence and seen people asking about the decoding performance of various cards and seen no definitive guide to allow people to decide which card to purchase. Really doing such tests requires the same PC setup and multiple nVidia cards which people do not usually have access to. nVidia are really the people who could provide such information but it's whether their figures could be trusted.

Does anyone know of any figures to indicate the performance of various nVidia cards, especially when de-interlacing 1080i content?

What type of performance could I expect from a GT 240 DDR5 512MB/1GB card? I would be particularly interested in decoding figures from such a card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
But any performance gain is secondary to the other advantages, also described several times: reliable random access, GPU deinterlacing, GPU resizing/cropping, correct decoding of AVC and VC1, consistent integrated solution to AVC/MPEG/VC1.
Random access and GPU De-Interlacing is important to me providing the quality is good. Are there any examples of the De-Interlace quality?
GPU Resizing would also be of interest providing the quality was good. How does it compare to Spline36resize or Spline64resize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
neuron2, I'm thinking of donating for your DG NV Tools and I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

The Purevideo deinterlacing function looks great, and that's what I guess I will be using most. The thing is my work computer is also my gaming computer. I'm currently using a Radeon 4870 and need an nVidia card. I have come up with 2 choices

1) Get a Fermi (GTX 470 is my first choice)

2) Continue using my Radeon 4870 and get a cheap GT210/GT220 and use it alongside with the 4870 purely for Purevideo.

My question is, is the purevideo deinterlacing quality dependent on the card or are there differences? Also, do you know if your software will work in scenario 2? I'm aware that only Windows 7 supports heterogeneous video card support. I'm currently on vista and will have to upgrade to 7 for that, but I hope to find out whether it will work first.

Thanks!
You are in a similar position to me, except Gaming is of no interest to me. The later last generation nVidia cards are better than earlier cards in a number of ways. The decoding engine, VP4 is much improved on GT210/220/240 cards supporting improved resizers and eliminating the restrictions on H264 decoding resolution sizes that previous cards had. Their idle power usage is very low which is of benefit when not using the cards for decoding. I might of been interested in the GT430 which was meant to be released fairly soon but I don't want to have to wait any longer. So the GT 240 DDR5 is the card that interests me due to it's higher memory bandwidth and low power usage of about 6.3 Watts. Having single slot designs available also helps in my already overcrowded case so I do not lose any other slots.

Would I experience any difference between 512MB and 1GB of onboard memory? How would 1GB benefit me over a 512MB card?

Are there any restrictions on the number of H264 streams that can be opened at the same time? Can it open 2 or 3 different streams and process all at the same time in one AVISynth script?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purevid...n_PureVideo_HD
nVidia Card Feature table
Video card Power Usage
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 13:21   #1542  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDwarf1 View Post
Random access and GPU De-Interlacing is important to me providing the quality is good. Are there any examples of the De-Interlace quality?
There is at least one example in this thread.

Quote:
GPU Resizing would also be of interest providing the quality was good. How does it compare to Spline36resize or Spline64resize?
Again, if you read the thread you'll find that CUVID supports only bilinear at this time.

Quote:
Would I experience any difference between 512MB and 1GB of onboard memory? How would 1GB benefit me over a 512MB card?
As described in this thread, the number of simultaneous instances of the decode that you can create is limited by the card's memory.

Quote:
Are there any restrictions on the number of H264 streams that can be opened at the same time? Can it open 2 or 3 different streams and process all at the same time in one AVISynth script?
It depends on the card's memory.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:45   #1543  |  Link
paulvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumpco View Post
Version 2010 now successfully avoids treating Teletext as audio :-)
Unfortunately it still seems to detect BBC HD ac3 2/0 as 3/2. But no biggie.
That is probably the BBC's fault. They sometimes mess up their audio and flag it as 3/2 even though only the left and right channel actually have audio.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 17:10   #1544  |  Link
Clumpco

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb View Post
That is probably the BBC's fault. They sometimes mess up their audio and flag it as 3/2 even though only the left and right channel actually have audio.
If you read my later reply it was the .ts that was corrupted.
But I do know about their 3/2 lockdowns (we'll probably get them again for the duration of the world cup) but in the case in question it was really 2/0.
Clumpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 23:11   #1545  |  Link
WasF

@RedDwarf1 regarding GPU processing quality, and for who ever asking himself the same questions.
I can only give my subjective impressions, but I've done quiet a bit of video encoding since 2002..
* Resizing: DG NV tools are aimed mainly at HD content. In that case, resizing, if any, means downscaling. Bilinear will do a great job here. Actually, when it comes to downscaling, almost every algo is a champ. I am very satisfied with what CUDA does here. And bilinear is quiet good at upscaling too, although I did it only once with CUDA.
* De-interlacing: when the source is clean, I get great de-interlacing with DG NV. However. I'm encoding a TV show DVD right now (NTSC), and was not satisfied with what CUDA does here. But it's comparable to what I get from a "professional" software player (TotalMedia Theatre 3, "hardware acceleration" disable), so, can I really blame CUDA?!
What I know, is that I get a better looking image with VLC de-interlacing (blend), and an amazing result in AviSynth with eedi2/tdeint (I can post examples if you want, but basically, all lines are straight and smooth with no "stairs" effect with eeid2/tdeint). Of course, I pay dearly for this quality on the CPU level.. (2.65 fps is brutal, but my x264 options are pretty wild, too )
* Cropping: don't buy CUDA for this! Cropping is so cheap, it almost makes no difference if you do in CPU or GPU.. But if you can make your GPU do it, why the heck not?!
* Memory: this is the topic that brought me to this forum. I have a 256MB 8600 GT (I'm anti-gamer, is you wish), and that's worth 1 1080p stream.
I can do up to 3 720x540 standard def concurrent instances, barely.
This doesn't mean these numbers scale up linearly with memory quantity, though.. it just gives a hint: if you go for it, go heavy on the DDR!
Other testimonials would definitely shed some more light on this specific topic

Cheers.
WasF/
WasF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 00:28   #1546  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasF View Post
* Cropping: don't buy CUDA for this! Cropping is so cheap, it almost makes no difference if you do in CPU or GPU.. But if you can make your GPU do it, why the heck not?!
You miss the point. The most common process is to crop and then rescale. So if you rescale on the GPU, you *must* therefore crop on the GPU.
Old 8th June 2010, 03:52   #1547  |  Link
WasF

Of course, neuron2 .. some features go hand in hand, indeed.
Still, you can do cropping alone on the GPU.

And I don't see where the obligation to GPU-crop comes from if I do resizing: I've been doing DGMultiSource(resize_w=720, resize_h=540) for 6 episodes now, with no cropping, and it works just fine (DGI: CLIP 0 0 0 0) and I don't see what would be illegal if I added an Crop() to my AviSynth script on top of that, too..
You got me worried now!
If you'd care to elaborate, I'd be curious to know what I'm missing..
Old 8th June 2010, 05:02   #1548  |  Link
woah!

ok so if you crop after you have used (resize_w=720, resize_h=540) then it wont be 720x540 afterwards would it... it will be smaller, so cropping first and then resize will give you 720x540.
woah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 06:58   #1549  |  Link

The calculations are more straightforward if you crop first. And if you crop first, then you must do it on the GPU if you do the resizing on the GPU.

As I said, you missed the point.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:50   #1550  |  Link
WasF

Oh! I got it, I got it!
Yes, if you do GPU resizing and need cropping, it would be much easier and safer to do it all in GPU.
I was more thinking technical limitation or somethin' ..

Believe it or not, the first time I used DG NV tools, it was for re-encoding Avatar, and I did resizing with CUDA and a bit of cropping in the AVS script
('Never understand the 8 Mbs/s thing! What was H.264 for, again?!!)
Old 9th June 2010, 01:33   #1551  |  Link

Status report on 64-bit support

I have just run DGIndexNV built for x64 for the first time! It's working great. And it's very fast on my i7-980X overclocked to 4.2 GHz.

The major challenge was the color conversion and display routines. In DGIndexNV x32 I use a simple C loop to unpack CUVID's NV12 to planar YV12 and then compiler intrinsics for an asm implementation of YV12 to packed RGB for display via Windows GDI (as implemented in the CUVID Client). But those intrinsics are not available on x64. (The code in DGIndex [the open source one] of course uses 32-bit asm files. Those would have to be recoded but can't be used in any case due to GPL.)

So I wrote a high-performance pure C implementation of YV12 to RGB using lookup tables. This conversion is actually a little faster than the one in the current x32 version.

I spent all day making the needed revisions to the cropping and save BMP utilities to make them work with the new conversion code.

The source filters should be easy as there is no asm code in them.

So who will tell me where to get the latest and most stable x64 version of Avisynth? Can it coexist with the x32 version?

Last edited by Guest; 9th June 2010 at 01:39.
Old 9th June 2010, 05:18   #1552  |  Link
Audionut

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152800 Set's version. Runs fine with 32bit version installed, and actually needs the 32bit installed for the registry pointers.

Oh, and I'll happily beta test with you.
Old 9th June 2010, 07:32   #1553  |  Link
lych_necross
ZZZzzzz...

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is an official x64 build of Avisynth. In addition to JoshyD's build (listed above), Squid_80 has a x64 build of Avisynth as well as precompiled plugins here. As to which one is more stable, I would say neither are as stable as the official x86 build; however, if you forced me to pick one, I would probably recommend JoshyD's build. Hopefully IanB will get inspired and come up with an official x64 build sometime this year.
lych_necross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 08:14   #1554  |  Link
Audionut

Squids build is about 3 years old iirc.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:52   #1555  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Neuron, would you implement an auto/manual crop interface in DGIndex? Staxrip and other gui's sometimes lose a lot of time in cropping procedures. It could be glad to have the possibility to get it before.

(nice english today, I must have temperature)
Old 9th June 2010, 14:48   #1556  |  Link

Please provide specs for the functionality you want. I ask because it's not obvious to me. For example, say I have a letterboxed movie and cropping away just the black leaves a certain non-mod (4, 8, 16) vertical size. Should I overcrop to enforce mod? What frame(s) should be used for the calculations? Etc. I have never used autocrop so if you want this you have to be really clear about what you want.
Old 9th June 2010, 15:38   #1557  |  Link
Selur

I normally do something a long the lines of:

1. allow user to specify:
- threshold 0/16/32 (= color value that will still count as black)
- mod the output should have after cropping (2/4/8/16)

2. analyse 500 frames from the source:
- e.g. take every framecount/500 frames a frame
- if source is < 500 frames analyse all
- if seeking is an issue skip the first framecount/10 frames then analyse 5 frames skip 100 frames until you got 500 (if source is too short for this, lower frames to skip)
- drop results where width or height more than halves
- from the results take the crop values from the frame with the larges non black area

3. adjust crop values to mod
- overcrop to archive the output mod the user wanted

Cu Selur
Old 9th June 2010, 22:15   #1558  |  Link

Thanks, Selur.

My first test runs into problems. I have a 16 level black bar but as it approaches the video it gets lighter (due to encoding). It's hard to pick a threshold because some of the pixels are 46 and higher but still in the bar. Do you just get close and then hope the mod operation finishes the job? If so, it seems very unrobust.
Old 9th June 2010, 23:51   #1559  |  Link
onesloth

Could you adjust the threshold based on the average luma level of the non-black areas? i.e. bright image -> higher threshold, dark image -> lower threshhold.
onesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 00:00   #1560  |  Link

That's too complicated, but thanks for the suggestion. With a decent fixed threshold (32) and enforcing the mod (and fixing the bug I had) I get acceptable results.

I've added the feature for the next release with a threshold of 32 and mod 4/8/16. It operates on the frame that is displayed when the cropping dialog is entered. I'll tweak it further as needed.