Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th July 2009, 14:25   #1  |  Link
bur

Lame only reads part of aac file

I have an m4b file that I wanted to convert to mp3 to be able to play it on my cellphone. I extracted the aac stream with YAMB and then tried to convert the aac file with lame, but the result was a small file with only about 23 min playtime instead of 8h 30min.

I also noticed that when playing the aac in Winamp the remaining playtime skips all the time and Winamp doesn't seem to know when the file will end. If just left playing it plays it to the end, you just can't fast forward to some regions.

Is that a known behaviour for aac files with variable bitrate (or do they all have variable bitrate)? And is there any way to transcode the file besides doing an "what-you-hear"-recording? Maybe the header needs fixing because the stream came from an m4b file?

edit: I told YAMB now to extract to mp4 instead of raw stream. The resulting file works in Winamp, playtime is shown properly, fast forward works, but still Lame only encodes the first 52xxx frames of the file.

Last edited by bur; 7th July 2009 at 14:29.
bur is offline   Reply With Quote