Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st September 2017, 06:45   #45301  |  Link
Cruzader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
madVR has an automatic resolution switching feature.
Ummmm... im an idiot, how do I enable this?

Cruzader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 07:47   #45302  |  Link
galneon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzader View Post
Ummmm... im an idiot, how do I enable this?

Settings -> Devices -> [your device] -> display modes.
galneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2017, 20:07   #45303  |  Link
Bernix

Sorry to disturbing again. Just noticed.
MPC-HC
PIN INFO
PIN:OUT VIDEO
VIDEOINFOHEADER:
rcSource: (0,0)-(1920,1080)
rcTarget: (0,0)-(1920,1080)
dwBitRate: 0
dwBitErrorRate: 0
AvgTimePerFrame: 400000

MPC-BE
PIN INFO
PIN:OUT VIDEO
VIDEOINFOHEADER:
rcSource: (0,148)-(1920,932)
rcTarget: (0,148)-(1920,932)
dwBitRate: 0
dwBitErrorRate: 0
AvgTimePerFrame: 400000 (25.000 fps)

So EVR custom preset in MPC-HC crop is ignored, but in MPC-BE is propertly displayed. But MadVR in MPC-BE has same issue as in Potplayer. See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...56#post1816256
Bernix
Bernix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 04:25   #45304  |  Link
XMonarchY

I am not sure which timings are best when it comes to optimization...

A. Current/measured timings Compat. is 100 with 1 frame repeat every 12.35 minutes
B. Same pixel clock #1 Compat. is 60, with 1 frame repeat every 3.90 hours
C. Optimized pixel clock #1 Compat. is 80 with no frame drops/repeats

Only Current, Measured, and EDID/CTA are in the green...

What does Compatibility mean when it come to refresh rates and resolutions?

P.S. Please move to madVR Options Explained thread if that is where I should've asked...
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:28   #45305  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does this happen every time? Does it happen only if you're on the display modes or custom modes tab, or only if you're not on either of those 2 tabs, or regardless of which tabs you're on?
Every time I closed madVR settings window to change the refresh through display adapter properties in OS control panel and then accessed madVR settings again. It happened regardless of which tabs I was on. But, this seems to be fixed in v0.92.2.

Quote:
Did you update the madVR version used in JRiver MC?
Yes. After updating to v0.92.2, the problem has been solved.

Quote:
Just give it a try. The GUI will guide you through it.
Oops, I didnít realize that if I donít click on any of the custom modes preset and then click on ďaddĒ, I could add custom modes for any refresh rate. Now it all works like a charm.

Quote:
In which way is it more stable? You've not installed Creator's Update yet?
In Fullscreen Windowed mode, I often get random dropped frames in the middle of a movie, which come as sudden jerkiness in the video and after that video plays normally. This does not happen in Fullscreen Exclusive mode.

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows Update brings all kinds of updates except for the upgrade to Creator's Update (not sure why). Also, I havenít bothered to do a fresh install for upgrading to the Creator's Update. I will probably do that now.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:31   #45306  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Recently switched to Windows 10 from 7 (clean install). Having a couple issues now. Overlay mode doesn't work too well now (GTX 950), it drops frames at random points for seemingly no reason, like 6-7 at a time. Perhaps every 10 minutes or so. Overlay mode worked flawlessly with Windows 7.
Ok so seems refresh rate is the cause. 60hz=no dropped frames/glitches. 59.94hz=random dropped frames/glitches. I'm using smooth motion. No biggie to use 60hz but wonder why 59.94 causing issues with overlay mode.

Last edited by iSeries; 2nd September 2017 at 18:37.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 18:34   #45307  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Ok so seems refresh rate is the cause. 60hz=no dropped frames/glitches. 59.94hz=random dropped frames/glitches. I'm using smooth motion. No biggie to use 60hz but wonder why 59.94 causing issues with overlay mode.

Did you enable the Madvr Direct3D 60 Hack ?

Windows 10 x64 1703
1080 GTX 385.41

Do we still need to use Present a frame for every VSync ? what is it useful for on what cases ?

For real movies , movie theatre and such, Should I use Ordered Diffusion , Error Diffusion 1 or 2 ? cause many people suggest Ordered , but Error 2 for Anime .

When should I enable Use Colored noise and Change dither for every Frame ?

I tried to search and many people suggest many things, but I can't really notice, for myself, I know the right test will show the perfect setting. but I know you guys know more than me on this, if anyone could give some more info or tests he did.

I did a test with bit depth 1 and changing them settings , but I just see dots on other areas and I can't understand what it means.

Also

Disable ‘use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)’ option. Enable this though if you want to use the ‘smooth motion frame rate conversion’ feature below.
Disable ‘use a separate device for DXVA processing (Vista and newer)’ option.

Is this still correct ? do we need to disable it for only AMD cards and leave it for nvidia ? because I don't use Smooth motion frame rate conversion, would I need it for anything else ?

Madshi , could you add any notification on CTRL + J that the smooth motion is working ? like when we disable "use a separate device for presentation" we should know if it is really needed, I find it hard to see if it's really working or not. with the setting enable or not. because with the setting disable and smooth motion enabled there is higher number on the rendering from 15 ms to 20-25 ms, so it seems it does it things with the numbers.

Thanks

Last edited by x7007; 2nd September 2017 at 19:59.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:49   #45308  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

is Windows 8.1 as of now still more recommendable than windows 10 for 4k playback with madVR?
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:53   #45309  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is Windows 8.1 as of now still more recommendable than windows 10 for 4k playback with madVR?
I don't think windows 8.1 is even recommended for anything. windows 10 has all the priority for HDR and other new things to come with the new update soon, also nvidia updates everything to support windows 10 new features. everyone should update from 8.1 to 10. windows 7 is other things , it's still good for other things if people need it to without all the newest things.
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:06   #45310  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
For real movies , movie theatre and such, Should I use Ordered Diffusion , Error Diffusion 1 or 2 ? cause many people suggest Ordered , but Error 2 for Anime .

When should I enable Use Colored noise and Change dither for every Frame ?
You need to test and compare in order to decide what looks best to you.
Personally I can only see a difference between Ordered and Error Diffusion at up to 6-bit at normal vewing distances on film content. When using 8-bit I don't see the difference unless I have my nose on the screen.
I didn't test anime yet.

Colored Noise and Change Dither for Every Frame are just personal preferences, I personally can't stand them especially Colored Noise.
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:50   #45311  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
madshi still says the DWM is better in Windows 8.1 but all the new HDR features are only supported in 10 if that is important to you.

Windows 10 works perfectly for me with multiple displays running different refresh rates so I am not sure what the relative benefit of 8.1 would be, it is probably very minor or use case specific. Edit: Both are much improved over Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Colored Noise and Change Dither for Every Frame are just personal preferences, I personally can't stand them especially Colored Noise.
I agree! Especially about colored noise!

Last edited by Asmodian; 2nd September 2017 at 21:13.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:37   #45312  |  Link
Siso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I agree! Especially about colored noise!
My point exactly, I always uncheck use colored noise, the second option is ok.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 21:41   #45313  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
but all the new HDR features are only supported in 10 if that is important to you.
Thats not exactly true. With FSE you can get full 10-bit HDR output on Windows 8.1 as well, at least if using the private vendor APIs, which appears to work better on NVIDIA at least anyway.

On top of that, Windows 10 is playing a bit of a catch-up game with HDR. Microsoft is changing how HDR works every Windows 10 release, and the video drivers are only adapting to that slowly, leading to bugs (both in Windows and the drivers)
Windows 10 has some advantages, like the 10-bit fullscreen windowed mode, which is kinda neat, but it also has its share of issues still. Hopefully that changes over time, though.
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:18   #45314  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
My point exactly, I always uncheck use colored noise, the second option is ok.
what this colored noise looks like in movies ? why it's so bad ?
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:54   #45315  |  Link
JarrettH

Video and stills already have a bit of colour noise. Is it more natural to have it on?
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 23:15   #45316  |  Link
Siso

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
what this colored noise looks like in movies ? why it's so bad ?
It doesn't look good, most people are not using it.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 00:19   #45317  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Dithering mostly depends on your screen, there is no universal answer - different panels make dithering noise look different. There is only one choice, to try and judge with your eyes. Theoretically Error-Diffusion is better, in practice however most people will never be able to tell any difference, and it costs quite a bit of performance.
Old 3rd September 2017, 00:20   #45318  |  Link
mparade

When playing 4K 24fps HDR content I get continuously dropped frames with jerky playback, however average rendering stats is below 30ms. My display is an older 4K LG TV without HDR function, so I let madvr convert HDR to SDR.
I didn't have such problems with other content.

Any help would be appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:49   #45319  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Any help would be appreciated.
Help us help you..
SPECS.
OSD.

C'mon.. Your post was literally "Please help"
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:20   #45320  |  Link
Dewde

I'm trying to play a 2880x2880 file on a 4k LG OLED, but I'm getting a black screen instead when going fullscreen on the TV. Sound plays, no image though, but if I move the mouse over the lower part of the screen, the MPC-BE playback bar appears fine.

The TV is connected via HDMI to the PC. The same file plays fine on my PC monitor when going full-screen on 1920x1200.

I'm using:
MPC-BE 1.5.1 (b2755)
LAV 0.70.2
madVR 0.91.11

All of the above are x64. Any idea what the problem could be? Could it be madVR?
Dewde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling