Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th January 2016, 22:14   #35301  |  Link
XMonarchY

madshi (kind of weird to type your name as the first word in a sentence without capitalizing it...),

For me, there some builds released every so often that require full and complete settings reset to defaults or otherwise there are skipped frames, presentation glitches, and such. Is that normal? Do you advice resetting settings to default for each new build?

I performed a fresh format and a clean Windows 10 Pro x64 1511-10586 install. That actually got rid of a previous problem I had, where after pausing videos, there would be double-image at the top of the screen or there would be severe stuttering.
Old 13th January 2016, 22:24   #35302  |  Link
Nullack

Thanks for 0.90.2. Summary of issues for me:

1. NNED13 is reporting in CTRL J as jinc ar
2. 3D is working well on the single MVC mux I did. I intend to do allot more testing with other 3d blurays cos Im concerned about the point made in this thread with makemkv loosing important 3d config data in the mux with left/right eye formats and so on.
3. I continue to have crashes when changing modes automatically between 2d and 3d, and I continue to have crashes when playing 2d content in a 2d desktop when having 3d stereoscopic mode enabled in the nvidia driver settings. I have now resolved my windows component store corruption. Clearly nvidia has problems in their code, the error dumps point to NV dlls as the cause. In the meantime the workaround is to manually swap between 3d and 2d desktop modes as needed, and manually enable or disable the 3d stereoscopic tick box.
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 22:53   #35303  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
1. NNED13 is reporting in CTRL J as jinc ar
This is also true for 2D content?
Then it most likely isn't used, check your madVR settings or reinstall your GPU drivers.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 23:31   #35304  |  Link
jmone

edit

I've got 3D working in MC (it may be to do with Running as Admin) but I've need to test some more and get back

Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by jmone; 13th January 2016 at 23:55.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 23:36   #35305  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
This is also true for 2D content?
Then it most likely isn't used, check your madVR settings or reinstall your GPU drivers.
Many thanks mate. Reinstalling the nvidia drivers now enables NNED13 correctly. Seems the combination of the dism repairs to fix windows component store corruption and the new hotfix driver from nvidia caused it to get into some trouble. All fixed top suggestion thanks again.
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 23:51   #35306  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
primary. this is the only monitor connected.
Oh well, then I don't know why it's not working for you. It seems to be a problem with the GPU drivers (?). You could try reinstalling those, or try a different version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Okay, I uninstalled KCP and installed the latest x64 builds of MPC-BE, LAV and MadVR (and xysubfilter).

I do get 3D, but the depth isn't correct. It looks fine on a close-up, but as soon as you get foreground / background it's wrong. It's very obvious in Gravity, especially when they are rotating around each other in chapter 2.

It might be the AMD bug though, as this is exactly what I experienced with stereoplayer.

Other than that, I get lots of dropped frames & glitches if I select any error diffusion option for dithering. Ordered or random is much better. Would need a 3D Boolean to fine-tune a specific profile.

I hope wrong depth isn't related to the AMD bug, but it would be interesting to try to see if those complaining of this have an AMD GPU.
That's sad to hear. I had hoped that the problem would be limited to the Windows 7 style 3D API, but according to your description it seems to also apply to the official Windows 8+ D3D11 3D API.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edigee View Post
Sorry for the offtopic; I'm wondering if there's any reason to update to Windos 10. I'm on a old rig(xeon x3220 ,8Gb RAM ,GTX 960 ,W 7 64bit). I'm using a 2 display configuration. MPC-HC 64 with madVR for one display and MPC-BE(LAV 32) 32bit ,with madVR and reclock for the 2nd display. I'm not interested(yet) in 3D playback. Is there any video playback quality inprovment if I upgrade to W 10?
Windows 10 seems to introduce a couple new problems. The best OS for video playback currently seems to be Windows 8.1. It's better than Windows 7 because it has a much better desktop composition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Is that normal? Do you advice resetting settings to default for each new build?
No. And no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
I'm still not getting any better luck playing 3D. Can someone pls confirm what madVR is reporting as the Version #. I've installed the latest madVR but it is showing in the madVR settings it is v0.90.1 not v0.90.2
Says v0.90.2 on my PC. Try clearing your browser cache and redownload. And if you don't get 3D, please re-read the v0.90.2 announcement post for instructions how to debug the 3D failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Many thanks mate. Reinstalling the nvidia drivers now enables NNED13 correctly. Seems the combination of the dism repairs to fix windows component store corruption and the new hotfix driver from nvidia caused it to get into some trouble. All fixed top suggestion thanks again.
Not important at all, but it's "NNEDI3" (as in "NNEDi3") and not "NNEDI13".
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 23:53   #35307  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I'm still not getting any better luck playing 3D. Can someone pls confirm what madVR is reporting as the Version #. I've installed the latest madVR but it is showing in the madVR settings it is v0.90.1 not v0.90.2
than it isn't installed correctly. mine is showing 0.90.2.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 00:29   #35308  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That's sad to hear. I had hoped that the problem would be limited to the Windows 7 style 3D API, but according to your description it seems to also apply to the official Windows 8+ D3D11 3D API.
One thing I haven't tried is Crimson vs Catalyst (I only tried with Catalyst 14.12). This bug could have been fixed with Crimson, which is quite a big redesign.

- Is it only AMD users who complain about this re 3D with LAV+MadVR?

- Has any AMD owner managed to get 3D to work with LAV+MadVR without the perspective/eye reverse AMD Bug?

- If any AMD user managed to get 3D to work properly, are they using Catalyst or Crimson drivers?
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 00:44   #35309  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Code:
* fixed: LAV reporting double frame rate was ignored
madVR doesn't activate the correct interlacing mode (film) for PAL sample and switches to 50 Hz with default deinterlacing settings (+ LAV's YADIF disabled + ReClock's PAL speed down enabled).
Old 14th January 2016, 02:44   #35310  |  Link
4h4h270

after update to madvr .90.2 everything work fine on my system, happy!

just playback a whole movie for test, get some present glitch and frame drop ocasionally, and a massive frame drop during playback at half time, I pause it for some sceconds, it's gone.

Last edited by 4h4h270; 14th January 2016 at 08:10.
4h4h270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 03:40   #35311  |  Link
x7007

I have Present Queue issue, when watching 1080p the present queue drops randomly to 1-2/3 and sometimes 0-2/3 and I have presentation glitches and sometimes dropped frames.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 06:20   #35312  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
I have Present Queue issue, when watching 1080p the present queue drops randomly to 1-2/3 and sometimes 0-2/3 and I have presentation glitches and sometimes dropped frames.
Your settings are too aggressive. Try lowering them slightly or using some of the trade quality for performance checkboxes.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 06:21   #35313  |  Link
apgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
One thing I haven't tried is Crimson vs Catalyst (I only tried with Catalyst 14.12). This bug could have been fixed with Crimson, which is quite a big redesign.

- Is it only AMD users who complain about this re 3D with LAV+MadVR?

- Has any AMD owner managed to get 3D to work with LAV+MadVR without the perspective/eye reverse AMD Bug?

- If any AMD user managed to get 3D to work properly, are they using Catalyst or Crimson drivers?
I'm using the latest version of the AMD Crimson drivers and while my projector switches in 3D mode it does seem to have any depth to it (i.e. just looks like 2D).

This is on Windows 10 pro and player is jriver MC.

Note: I haven't tried MadVR 90.2 yet though.
apgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 07:35   #35314  |  Link
jmone

Ok - I've had it working twice but not consistently. In all cases I'm getting NV12, 8bit, 4:2:0 (3D) (so LAV is decoding), but most of the time I ether get:
- D3D9 & Side By Side, or
- MC Crashes

I'll test more tomorrow but no obvious pattern, as after one play it stopped working the second time.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 08:34   #35315  |  Link
apgood

Quote:
Ok - I've had it working twice but not consistently. In all cases I'm getting NV12, 8bit, 4:2:0 (3D) (so LAV is decoding), but most of the time I ether get:
- D3D9 & Side By Side, or
- MC Crashes

I'll test more tomorrow but no obvious pattern, as after one play it stopped working the second time.
Mine was more stable when I unticked the switching to 2D for 2D movies option in MadVR, but haven't tried it often enough to confirm this has fixed the crashing in MC
apgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 09:00   #35316  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Oh, good catch. Will have to disable SmoothMotion forcefully, when using 3D. Probably makes no sense to have it enabled, anyway, since movie and display refresh will should always match when playing 3D.
Right.

Quote:
Reproduced and "fixed" (by always using 8bit for 3D).
Yes, itís fixed in v0.90.2. I guess Direct3D doesnít allow 10 bit for 3D output.

Quote:
Interesting. I've now modified the logic to always assume 1080p23 for 3D playback. Hope it fixes this issue. Can you confirm?
Yes, it fixes the issue as tested with the 3D MKV sample I have, but there are two things to consider here:
1. In India, Blu Rays are mastered at 24 fps and not 23.976 fps. I guess it happens the same in most other PAL countries too. So ideally you should force 23p/ 24p for 3D playback depending upon the source fps, if you arenít already doing that.
2. When you implement processing of SBS and TBB content, for the broadcasted SBS/ TBB you may want to output 50p/ 60p frame packed 3D. However, such content is rare and 3D is anyway not so popular.

Quote:
That's weird. It works for me. Just to be safe, can you try making the monitor primary, if it's still secondary right now?
I was outputting to only one display Ė TV. But this problem is fixed in v0.90.2. So no worries.
omarank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 09:25   #35317  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgood View Post
I'm using the latest version of the AMD Crimson drivers and while my projector switches in 3D mode it does seem to have any depth to it (i.e. just looks like 2D).

This is on Windows 10 pro and player is jriver MC.

Note: I haven't tried MadVR 90.2 yet though.
Thanks. This is what I experienced when LAV wasn't installed properly.

Please install the latest MadVR and lastest LAV (not sure if jRiver uses its own versions though, you might want to use MPC-BE to be able to test the independent versions of LAV and MadVR) and report what MadVR displays in the OSD, just to be sure everything is working as it should. It should report 3D both for content and rendering, which is what it does on my system.

Also does your display switch to 1080p24 (FP)? Does it work in 3D with PowerDVD or similar? You can install a demo of PowerDVD if you don't own it, just to make sure your system and display are able to play 3D properly.
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 10:24   #35318  |  Link
TheRyuu
warpsharpened

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Hey everybpdy, someone could tell me what the new luma scalling option use sigmoidal light does? when should i use this? should i leave this aways check like linear light on downscalle?
Quote:
Sometimes it improves upscaling quality by reducing aliasing and ringing slightly. Sometimes it can also increase aliasing and ringing, though. So it needs some serious testing to come to a conclusion whether it should be enabled by default or not.
I asked for the option after noticing some differences between madvr and mpv and their scaling. It can be very subtle but can also be obvious on certain things. In my experience with it I'd say it's likely to be better most or all of the time and it's unlikely to be noticeably worse so I think it's safe to always have on. For comparison mpv always uses sigmoidal upscaling with their opengl-hq video out driver.

Scaling (only) in linear light is only useful for downscaling in case anyone was wondering why the option was replaced. Sigmoidal upscaling actually implies scaling in linear light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Remind us again what's wrong with using the default settings for those?
TheRyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 10:33   #35319  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

madshi - i check latest version, don't work 3D, only side-by-side picture.
I try set TV as primary device, set only only TV in system - don't help.
Try reset settings - don't help.
Old 14th January 2016, 10:35   #35320  |  Link
Sunset1982

Is 3d supported in the profile rules? Cause watching 3D movies raises my rendertimes to 75ms and I get dropped frames because it selects my 23p profile...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling