Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 22nd July 2002, 18:04   #1  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Matrix on DVD-R

well.. after sucessfully conquering some not quite easy DVDs it's time to climb the Mt. Everest of DVDs... The Matrix.

so.. after having a look at vts2 ifo I split up the movie in VOB IDs and further split up VOB IDs 14, 23 and 39 into cells if they were needed separately in PGCs 7-12 (I have no doubts that these PGCs are completely useless along with PGCs 13-18 but that's another matter entirely.. the whole disc is really screwed up when it comes to the structure). now I need to put this together as follows (x:y: vobid:cellid, x/y = multiangle vob id x vob id y, x-y = vob id x up till vob id y)
2,3,4/5,7-6, 8/9,10,11,12/13,14:1,14:2,14:3-11,15-16,17/18,19-20,21/22,23:1,23:1-11,24,25/26,27-28,29/30,31-12,33/34,35-36,37/38,39:1-2,39:3-10,39:11,39:12-13

that was pgc1 and pgc6 would get the same. pgc2 is the studio logo and no problem, pgc3 is the fbi warning, pgc4-5 is a 15 frame black thing which also gets repeated in pgcs 16-18which are pretty much useless to begin with. other pgcs are (in the same notation as above): pgc7: 3, 4 pgc8: 11,12 pgc9: 14:2 pgc10: 23:1 pgc11: 39:1-2, pgc12: 39:11 (now you'll see why I had to split up certain vob IDs).
pgc13-15 equal pgc1 except that there virtually every cell has its own chapter but I was thinking of simply copying the pgc1 track again and be done with it.. I have serious doubts that these pgcs will be used anywhere.

now.. having these files.. I can use multi-file import to create one single track (equal to pgc1) with all the necessary files minus the multiangles.. problem is.. it shows up as one video asset only in scenarist.. plus I can't add the multiangle parts as I can't create short multiangle parts in the same track.. scenarist expects the multiangle track to contain video that's as long as the main track. that could be solved by creating tracks for each file and link them in the scenario editor.. however then I have a serious chapter problem.
for now I'm stuck. Does anybody have any doable ideas? appending an m2v to an existing track does not seem to be possible... plus then we still have the multiangle length problem
Old 22nd July 2002, 23:20   #2  |  Link
TRILIGHT

Well, I attempted something similar though it seems that every copy, Scenarist is going to want to include as a full duplicate. I was hoping that it would see the video and audio came from the same original source and, therefore, would just create the command structure to simulate the different track I was creating. I even had all the "99 chapters" listed in PGC's 13-15 in and everything.

Ultimately, I think we'll have to have just one track of the video and audio and try to recreate the other PGC's through the command structure somehow. As for the multiple angles, I'm not sure I follow what you're doing. The original does not have multiple angles. PGC6 is played back if the "white rabbit" option is chosen. As we know, it's the same video and audio, but with a different subtitle track. If the option is chosen during playback, it jumps out to the other clip and then resumes the main video again.
Old 22nd July 2002, 23:34   #3  |  Link
patrol

the solution

i just have put the matrix on a dvd-r
if you want i can explain how.
patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2002, 23:38   #4  |  Link
TRILIGHT

You could have done that in the first place. hehe And, just to be sure we're all on the same page, Doom9 and I are referring to duplicating the entire structure with the original menu and the "follow the white rabbit" and everything; not just the main movie. If you've duplicated the entire structure then please post what you did in Scenarist. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2002, 18:55   #5  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

This must be something over my head because I thought for duping a DVD all it took was taking an ISO image of the origianal, let's say with DVD Decryptor then with a DVD burner burn the image back to a DVD-r. 1:1 copy (sorry, 'Backup' )
Oh, well. I look forward to following this thread.
Holomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2002, 19:16   #6  |  Link
klona

Not yet familiar with advanced structure in Scenarist, but why not demux all the cells separatly, import every one into scenarist and do some sort of playlist. Not sure how for the moment.

I only have a matrix dvdr with personnal menu and only the main movie.
Too bad my original is full of scratches and that i only have my backup left.
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 09:53   #7  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

there's no such thing as a playlist in scenarist.. furthermore you have to add multiangles as well... it may be possible to create 104 tracks for every cell but if you can put this together properly with chapters, subtitles (remember you have to split them up over 104 cells.. audio as well) and put it all together properly.. I think in that case it would be easier to re-author from scratch (with menus and everything)
Old 26th July 2002, 03:46   #8  |  Link
gatordent

MATRIX

Hey I also dubbed Matrix 1:1 with all extras. but it was a while ago...
gatordent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2002, 05:14   #9  |  Link
TRILIGHT

You gotta love all these people that claim to have done a full backup of it as if it was "no problem" yet they don't seem to give any details about what they did. hehe
Old 27th July 2002, 05:38   #10  |  Link
auenf

betcha none of them acutally reauthored, just re-compressed the video and played with the IFO's

Enf..
auenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2002, 02:55   #11  |  Link
DivXtreme

The first dvd i've ever tried to copy was the matrix. Needless to say that i failed...badly. I got dissapointed since i thought all movies would be as hard to reauthor. Now i can copy "complicated" movies but i dont think i can do matrix yet.

Good luck to Doom9, trilight and anyone else that is attempting to reauthor it. When you guys manage to do it, i am sure it deserves a deticated guide.
DivXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2002, 12:55   #12  |  Link
pekes

I made Matrix on DVD-R in Maestro even with White Rabbit and it was easy.
pekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2002, 13:36   #13  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

pekes: well then.. this thread is yours.. enlighten us.
Old 28th July 2002, 16:51   #14  |  Link
pekes

Start SmartRipper, select title 1 in main VTS, I think, and extract video to a m2v file, you can select subtitles if you want but except last subtitle with white rabbit, it's in different vob-id, rip them to vob file. White rabbit subtitle is in the last stream, i don't know the title, you can check it in WinDVD or PowerDVD and play white rabbit. Rip subtitles in SubRip as bitmaps or you can import any .son files to Maestro. Even if I extract subtitles this way they were out of sync and then I corrected their times, it was hard work.
Import video to maestro, import chapter list. Then you have to create white rabbit buttons, you always create end position of each button as general marker point then you create start position of button as button highlight. It shows subtitles between these markers, you can delete some shown subtitles in some languages. Then you double-click button subtitle and edit it as bitmap with white rabbit.
Then you must create two playlists, one for movie without rabbit and one for movie with with rabbit. In the first playlist enable only subtitles which is available, not white rabbit subtitle stream. In the second playlist enable only white rabbit subtitle stream. Because I wanted to have subtitles even in white rabbit movie I duplicated EN and CS subtitles and import white rabbit bitmap and enabled these subtitle stream in the second playlist. But at 2 positions I had to repositon the buttons because they were in conflict with other dialogs.
I encoded extras at 352x288 because original quality wasn't good, white rabbit extras was designed as menus in different VTS (manual VTS allocation) because you only set timeout link and one full screen button to resume.
And that's it, I think I did it this way.
pekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 18:11   #15  |  Link
lucindrea

Quote:
Originally posted by pekes
Then you have to create white rabbit buttons, you always create end position of each button as general marker point then you create start position of button as button highlight.
ok .. i'm confused .. how does one create a button inside a movie track? .. i know how to put a mpeg into a menu then put buttons in the menu .. but no idea how to put buttons in a movie.
lucindrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2003, 20:05   #16  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

that's a really old guide. That title has been tackled by now: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ButtonOverVideo.htm

and buttons over video are basically only graphical subtitles to which you associate a command so they do something if you click on them.
Old 9th June 2003, 06:47   #17  |  Link
lucindrea

thanks ..
i kind of worked it out .. maestro will not let me preview the buttons ( so i kept trying difernt things and wondering why nothing was working )and it took me a good 2 hours to figue out i had to compile it to test them .. i guess part of the problem is that 99% of the time , subtitles are just riped out of the movies i do ( starwars is the first time i acctully used em ) so lack of expierance on my part.
lucindrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 22:52   #18  |  Link
MMan

Matrix DVD-R Rip

I found the following Matrix Ripping recipe to work for me:
1) Use DVDDycypter to place Matrix DVD on my hard-drive
2) Use IfoEdit, Under “VOB Extras” strip the unwanted IDs by
selecting all the IDs in VTS_02_0.IFO except:
1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 40, and 41
and then create two DVD-Rs as you would normally do, splitting
the discs at the chapter 18/19 boundary (ask me if you need
help with this).
Note: I can’t guarantee that this will work perfectly for you
as I am still seeing minor issues when I play the rip using
Windows Media Player vs. my DVD player (see point 8 & 9 below),
leading me to believe that different players (mine is a Sony
DVP-NS725P) may not play this rip solution perfectly.

Here is how I figured it out:
1) Used DVDDycypter to place Matrix DVD on my hard-drive
2) Used VOBrator to discern which VOB IDs are used for the movie
As with the last forum entry I found the movie to use files
VTS_02_1.VOB through VTS_02_6.VOB with IDs:
2-3, 4/5, 6-7, 8/9, 10-11, 12/13, 14-16, 17/18, 19-20, 21/22,
23-24, 25/26, 27-28, 29/30, 31-32, 33/34, 35-36, 37/38, and 39
Note:
When I list ID of x/y (e.g. 4/5), I mean that either
IDs 4 or 5 may be used since they are the same sub-scene.
This has to do with the White Rabbit special feature access
(and copy protection method).
3) I played the decrypted DVD (VIDEO_TS.IFO) in Windows Media
Player and found that the default (i.e. if no special
languages/commentary/features [like “The Dream World”/”Continue”
/”Follow The White Rabbit” (i.e. the infamous White Rabbit)]
playing of the movie uses Title 1.
4) I loaded VTS_02_0.IFO into IfoEdit and saw that Title 1 (PGC_1)
uses the following IDs:
2-3, 4, 6-7, 8, 10-11, 12, 14-16, 17, 19-20, 21,
23-24, 25, 27-28, 29, 31-32, 33, 35-36, 37, and 39
(i.e. skip 1, 5, 9, 13, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 40, and 41)
5) I then used IfoEdit: “VOB Extras” to pick and choose the IDs I
wanted (see 4 above) and created 2 DVR-Rs in my usual way,
splitting the discs at the chapter 18/19 boundary.
6) When I played the DVD-Rs in Windows Media Player, the x/y scene
transitions would skip a little, but they played fine on my DVD
player (Sony DVP-NS725P), except for the ID 17 scene that was
on my second DVD-R. It would glitch and repeat every few seconds
until the ID 17 scene ended. I then went back to my computer and
played ID 17’s scene with Window Media Player, thinking my DVD write
had gone wrong (that my files on the hard-drive would play fine).
With Window Media Player, the ID 17 scene would play once and then
with a blinking “white rabbit”.
7) On a hunch, I recompiled using IfoEdit, this time selecting ID
18 vs. 17. In a sane world, this would have put the irritating
“White Rabbit” button (that would go nowhere now since the target
video is not in the used VTS_02_x stream) in the scene which I
figured was better than skips and repeats.
8) When I played the new compile’s disc files in Windows Media Player,
Sure enough the blinking “White Rabbit” was there at ID 18’s scene,
but no repeating occurred.
9) When I played the new compile disc 2 (didn’t redo disc 1 since it
was working) in my DVD Player serendipitously, ID 18s scene not only
didn’t glitch or repeat, the blinking “White Rabbit” was gone! Hence,
I now had DVD-Rs that played perfectly on my DVD Player!
MMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 11:50   #19  |  Link
setarip_old

@Doom9

This thread intrigues me. Is it only the Region 2 version that's apparently "insurmountable"?

I ask because I just checked my collection database- and I created a compressed full disk copy of my Region 1 version on March 30, 2003. Based on that date (I'm really very lax with DVD-related recordkeeping. I only log title and date backed up), I would have used SmartRipper v.2.40 to rip it and either DVD2One or DVD95Copy to compress it.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 19:40   #20  |  Link
Trahald
Wewkiee

I think he was referring to backup as reencoded video ( ie with cce ) like big3 or dvd-rb, not a transcoder solution like dvdshrink or dvd2one.