Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 6th June 2005, 21:21   #1  |  Link
Edsel

Rebuilder and DVD Shrink Still Pictures option?

Does Rebuilder have trouble with this? I set a disk starting last night, and when I got up, RB was still in the rebuild phase. Normally it takes about 10 minutes for the rebuild phase, and this was about 5 or 6 hours, and showing little sign of being done any day soon. It looks like it's made thousands of segments.

What I've got is an hour long radio interview extra, that they seem to have encoded as full video with a photo popping up occasionally, it takes 1400 MB's on the disk. Using the Still Pictures option in Shrink brings that down to 286 MB, a savings of over a gig with full functionality, so you can see why I'm wanting to keep this. I tried the RB option to set to Still, but that only saved 200MB.

Is there a different tool for accomplishing the same thing? The PGC in question is made of 8 cells or programs or so, I'd be happy for each one to be a single still picture, with the full audio. Even a single still for the entire hour would be fine, I don't have burn-in to worry about.
Edsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 23:56   #2  |  Link
jptheripper

you can do the still pictures in rebuilder, using the segment editor
jptheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 03:05   #3  |  Link
Edsel

I mentioned that in my post, when I tried that I only gained 1/5th of the potential space back.
Old 7th June 2005, 03:50   #4  |  Link
jptheripper

sorry didnt notice that. you can try menu shrink. Or run rebuilder first, noting the space savings, and oversize it with rb-opt then shrink menus afterwards. dvdrb is intented for non-processed sources after all
jptheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 19:19   #5  |  Link
Edsel

Menushrink didn't work, because this was a regular video, not a menu.

What did work was VobBlanker. After hours of searching, last night I found a small reference that this might be possible in the latest version. It's not obvious, but if you get deep into the options you can find a choice to still a normal video. Saved even more space that way actually, because each cell was reduced to one still, instead of one every half second, so there were only 8 total.

Once I did that, RB just ripped right through it.

As near as I can tell, RB was actually working on the Shrink output, it was just taking forever, since there were thousands of stills.
Old 8th June 2005, 22:49   #6  |  Link
jeanl

Yes, this is a great new feature of Vobblanker that has passed almost completely unnoticed. You can still any cell in the title or menu domains. I think jsoto saw that as a way to shrink down credits for example, but obviously you can use it for anything at all!
jeanl