Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 1st March 2007, 21:39   #41  |  Link
SvT
Never Grow Up !

I found this blog :

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...essure_is.html

Quote:
According to Seirmarco, after investigating AACS' claim that BackupHDDVD contained copyrighted cryptographic keys, and finding that it did, they complied with the DMCA and removed the offending material. When I asked Seirmarco if they would be willing to host a sanitized version of BackupHDDVD, he said they would; "It would be difficult for us to see a compelling reason not to host that software." (With the caveat that it would have to be under a proper open source license)
Interesting point of view......
SvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 21:55   #42  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

Here's the takedown notice for Doom9 and other interested parties.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HDKEYS_TAKEDOWN.pdf (112.9 KB, 1520 views)
Old 2nd March 2007, 02:36   #43  |  Link
lightshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistar Muffin View Post
if the keys are not hardcoded in the progam, you don't violate any of the matters in the letter.

Let the program be as general as possible, and let the user provide the keys of choice e.g. by a --key parameter.

Aim at making the program as legal, none related to Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and general as possible then they have nothing.

Ask where the Hymn Project gets they FairPlay DRM remover hosted. I remember they found a provider that was willing to fight for the right to remove DRM. I think it was in India.

Last edited by lightshadow; 2nd March 2007 at 02:38. Reason: typo
lightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 05:39   #44  |  Link
noclip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvT View Post
I found this blog :

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...essure_is.html

Interesting point of view......
The TKDB.cfg file hosted on SourceForge was the original one provided my muslix. It only contained keys if you count 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 as a key.
noclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 20:04   #45  |  Link
arfster

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclip View Post
I just got a message from SourceForge informing me that they were issued a DMCA takedown notice for BackupHDDVD and have complied.
Wow, they got it taken off one site. Clearly on a place like the Internet it will now be impossible to get hold of
arfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 20:08   #46  |  Link
FoxDisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistar Muffin View Post
That letter is not a DMCA "takedown notice." A DMCA takedown noticet must include some very specific information. It must identify the copyrighted work (song or movie allegedly copied that must be taken off the web), assert a "good faith belief" that the material is unauthorized, etc.
That link just goes to a simple cease and desist letter. The claim in the letter is that the software violates the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions.
FoxDisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:47   #47  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Which it doesn't, cause you need the keys which the AACS LA will NEVER provide directly, at least, not to the average consumer.
Old 6th April 2007, 20:29   #48  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

Originally I got a DMCA takedown letter via my host, Layered Technologies, demanding that I lose my copy of BackupHDDVD. After complying, all has been quiet...until today. I received a letter sent to the registrar of my domain, which they forwarded to me. They demanded the removal of all the volume and title keys that allow for decryption of HD DVDs. The power of the DMCA literally makes me sick to my stomach, and I'm really not sure what to do. I want to just ignore them out of principle.
Old 7th April 2007, 20:12   #49  |  Link
Carpo

host it on some servers outside the usa and give them the finger
Old 7th April 2007, 20:50   #50  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Care to post the letter? I wonder what kind of story they came up this time.
Old 11th April 2007, 22:45   #51  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

So I decided against that, and ended up taking down the site that day. Anyways, I got another letter from domains by proxy telling me to contact that law firm, which I truly have no intention of doing. In addition, domains by proxy (godaddy) took $20.00 out of my paypal account for an "administrative fee". I already paid for the private registration, and what, because they had to forward a single email they take $20.00 with no warning and no permission. I emailed them demanding that it be returned since I complied with the takedown notice. I'll file a claim if they don't. Here's the letter.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NY SCAN.pdf (97.9 KB, 2416 views)
Old 12th April 2007, 01:35   #52  |  Link
Carnage`

see, tahts why you never allow companies access to your paypal...

anyway, i think you should use one of the decss techniques to host it... hows your poetry writing skills?
Carnage` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 14:41   #53  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

My poetry sucks. Also GoDaddy responded and said that if I attempted to dispute the charge they would cancel my privacy service. I told them to go ahead because they should have given me that option in the first place. ("Pay us $20.00 or have your service canceled") I would have chosen to cancel the service. It was not their right to take that money regardless of what their "terms" say.
Old 12th April 2007, 19:02   #54  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

If there ever was a threat that is baseless.. it's their latest attempt. What makes me sick is that the little guy has no proper recourse.. courts should automatically award attorney's fees if a civil case goes to trial and the suing party loses - so at least if you got a competent lawyer you'd get your money back in this case. All you did is write some keys on a website.. that can hardly be construed as offering anything in violation of the DMCA.. a key hardly enables you to circumvent any copy protection (and for that matter, backuphddvd really is no circumvention tool under the dmca.. it neither avoids, bypasses, removes, deactivates nor impairs any copy protection.. it simply implements the AACS specs. Under the AACS LA's interpretation of the DMCA, any decryption algorithm would automatically be forbidden decryption tool if you can use it to decrypt encrypted and copyrighted content. If for instance I encrypt a mail I'm sending out, and somebody intercepts and manges to decrypt it with the same tool my intended recipient uses to decrypt my mail - the tool would need to be outlowed because it allowed the man in the middle to access my message (which may well contain copyrighted content.. e.g. specs for a system I developed at work) - and anybody with a fair understanding of technology has to see that it just can't work like that.
Old 12th April 2007, 22:14   #55  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

I agree entirely, it is sickening. I really cannot describe the disgust I feel at being strong armed this way. Regardless of whether or not the content on my site is illegal or not, I am being fined and forced to remove it without the ability to contest this. I have NO money for lawyers and cannot even fight this. If they want the keys gone, then fine. I'll replace it with an informative wiki with instructions on the Volume ID method with the 360 addon, which is actually 100x more dangerous than the damn volume keys.

Since you are not in the US, and your site seems to be unaffected by the posting of such keys, can you possibly recommend an overseas registrar and host I can use so I might actually have some rights?
Old 12th April 2007, 22:48   #56  |  Link
noclip

So GoDaddy pissed its pants and bowed to a request it had no legal obligation to do anything about, even under the DMCA. Lovely.
noclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 03:28   #57  |  Link
celtic_druid

I recall reading an article some time back where they setup a bunch of accounts at various hosting companies, then sent fake take down notices to see how many of the companies took their sites down. All but one took their sites down even though they even used a yahoo email for the notice.
celtic_druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 07:14   #58  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_druid View Post
I recall reading an article some time back where they setup a bunch of accounts at various hosting companies, then sent fake take down notices to see how many of the companies took their sites down. All but one took their sites down even though they even used a yahoo email for the notice.
That doesn't surprise me. Hosting companies usually consist of some 14yrold to 21 year old people working to make a little extra money. They don't need the hassle of law enforcement so they will take down anything that gets notice from any email address no matter the legitimacy or shaky legal ground.

When purchasing hosting the following question should be on your pre-sale question list.

1) If you receive a notice for DMCA what is the amount of time given to respond to the complaint and is there a policy on disputing the claim while still keeping the site online?
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 22:13   #59  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

Well, I got my first DMCA letter at the same time sourceforge did, demanding the removal of BackupHDDVD from my site. They sent the letter to my host, Layered Tech, and they forwarded it to me. Except, they demanded the removal of the entire site rather than just the file (as the letter requested). I removed the file and pointed this out to them and they didn't give me too much grief. I thought I was fine until I received the second letter demanding the removal of the volume keys. I had anonymous whois from GoDaddy, so they received the letter and forwarded it to me, demanding that I comply and contact the law firm. I removed the information but I am under no legal obligation to call the damn law firm and tell them them I have complied. So about 5 days go by and I receive another email from GoDaddy telling me that I still need to contact the law firm and they have charged me $20.00 for an administrative fee. Which was taken from my bank account. I have filed with PayPal but it hasn't gone anywhere yet.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:34   #60  |  Link
Mistar Muffin

Hey Doom9,

Just wanted to say sorry for almost melting your servers the other week. I posted links to my takedown letters in a Slashdot post, sending most of those readers over here to check them out. I honestly didn't want to host the letters myself for fear of reprisal. I have no intention of putting the site back up, so if there is a braver soul out there that wants to do something with it, feel free to email me an offer at gmail.com<at>mistar.muffin (swap).

Ciao.