Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th August 2017, 02:41   #44881  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there are limitations with HDMI.
for 60 hz RGB you have "only" 8 bit for example.
Gee, I discovered thanks to your response that my graphics card was actually outputting 12 bit RGB when set to 23/24 Hz.
Is there any advantage in quality to do that with a GT60 and would it benefit madVR? Panasonic says it has "24576 steps of gradation", which from the way they calculate that number supposedly equals 13 bit, but I have a hard time believing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
madshiIf I use Spline AR in image upscaling, in chromatic upscaling which filter i can use, for best video quality 576i 50 frs to 1080p 50 frs. Can I use the latest version of madVR, even with my small graphics card? thank you so much
It's not possible for anybody else to tell you what settings can be used with your specific combination of software+hardware+content, you have to test to find it out.
Yes, it's always best to use the latest version whatever the hardware as long as it meets the minimum requirements (= GPU with D3D9, which your GT730 does).
Luma is more important than chroma, so always use a better upscaling method for luma. Try successively better ones until you see that your GPU is dropping frames and then back down one level.

Last edited by el Filou; 20th August 2017 at 03:12.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 05:57   #44882  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
It worked! I did a clean uninstall + reinstall of mpc-hc, madvr, lav filters and the nvidia drivers. Enabled stereoscopic 3D in nvidia which ran the wizard successfully. Enabled 3D in madvr and FSE. Opened 3D mkv and voila, TV switches to 3D and no crash! Thanks again for the responses, gave me the confidence it could be done and just something was wrong at my end. Not too sure what it was, but clean install did the trick.

Thanks again to madshi for this fantastic new release of madvr. Now we have full HDR + 3D support on the latest drivers.
How does it work for you ? I tried clean installation and it doesn't work. since driver 384.xx it didn't work, 382.xx works fine. did you also install 3DTV ? or just the 3Dvision that comes with nvidia drivers ?

Last edited by x7007; 20th August 2017 at 06:03.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 06:25   #44883  |  Link
cork_OS

Before madVR i've used CRU to create custom display modes, but mode switching in madVR didn't work properly. After 0.92 release i've realised that my WQHD display EDID data is somehow corrupted and madVR shows that it's native resolution is 1920x1080. I did reset display modes back to default with CRU "reset-all" tool and now madVR can create and switch custom display modes!
Old 20th August 2017, 07:50   #44884  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
How does it work for you ? I tried clean installation and it doesn't work. since driver 384.xx it didn't work, 382.xx works fine. did you also install 3DTV ? or just the 3Dvision that comes with nvidia drivers ?
Just the basic 3D drivers that come with nvidia. I went straight from 378.92 to 385.28 and things are working fine for me. This is the software i reinstalled during the clean installation

nvidia drivers 385.28
MPC-HC (x64) 1.7.13
madvr 0.92.1
lav 0.70.2

I am on windows 10 Pro 1703 (x64) with the latest aug update.

Please note that only 3D files work when I enable stereoscopic 3D in nvidia. I get a crash for any 2D file. Its not really a problem as I use a batch file to enable 3D, play the 3d file and then disable 3D.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 08:24   #44885  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
The optimize function should have shown you a message box with the text that you need to reboot, or disconnect the display, or press the "reset gpu" button.

Are you sure that those added refresh rates have exactly the same resolution as the native resolution? I highly doubt it. That would be a rather weird bug in madVR.
The custom refresh rate I added in cru 1.3 was 72 hz with "automatic lcd standart". Also when the optimize message was shown, in madvr it was 1 frame repeat every 1 hour but in optimized timings it was 40 sec...
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 08:31   #44886  |  Link
Ava Pug

So far I've only been testing 23p custom resolutions.

My setup is:
sony 1080p tv
nvidia 1070, 385.28 driver
mpc-hc 1.7.13.89
madvr 0.92.1
lav 0.70.2
windows 10 pro

I've found that my custom resolution works only if I have FSE enabled.

FSE On, DX11 Off -> fullscreen ok, -> windowed ok
FSE On, DX11 On, -> fullscreen ok -> windowed defaults to nvidia profile
FSE Off, DX11 Off -> fullscreen defaults to nvidia -> windowed defaults to nvidia profile
Ava Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 09:04   #44887  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Those of you who have crash problems with v0.92.1, can you please try this test build?

http://madshi.net/madVR0921b.rar

Does this fix the issue for you?
Fixed it for me using dsplayer.

Thanks Madshi.

K

Update - after testing further, I have to say, with the patch and the latest release, this is the most rock solid stable and best release so far! well done (I always use FSE Exclusive)

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 20th August 2017 at 09:34.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 09:08   #44888  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
Thanks madshi but won't that just be compressed then when the image is leaving the graphics card by the Nvidia setting of 8 bit? I thought it was necessary to set the output correctly as well.
The Nvidia setting has multiple different settings, I think. If you force it to 8bit then probably the Nvidia driver downconvert madVR's 10bit output to 8bit, which is bad. So if you want madVR to output 10bit, it would make sense to not force the output to be 8bit in the Nvidia GPU driver, of course. I think you can just let the driver decide the output bitdepth. Or if you have to override/force it to a specific bitdepth, for some reason, then for 10bit output to reach the display, you need to use 10bit (which I think is not available) or 12bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
I did reboot a few times inbetween tests, nothing changed. Given that Asmodian has it working using an Nvidia setup, it may be a problem on my end. I did tinker with CRU a few months back and may have screwed up something OS wise. A fresh Windows install wouldn't hurt I guess
Maybe the CRU "reset all" helps?

Quote:
If I use Spline AR in image upscaling, in chromatic upscaling which filter i can use, for best video quality 576i 50 frs to 1080p 50 frs.
Luma/image is much more important than chroma. But if you can't use anything better than Spline AR for luma, you can try if Bicubic works for chroma. But it's not a dramatic problem if Bilinear is all you can use for chroma.

Quote:
Can I use the latest version of madVR, even with my small graphics card?
Newer madVR versions aren't slower than older versions. So you should always use the latest madVR version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
It happens just when I hit "Test" even on a standard mode at the very beginning of the process. Nothing to do with "reset gpu".
Ah ok. Well, there's nothing I can do about that. That's just what the Nvidia driver seems to be doing on your PC, for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz View Post
I tried a lot of files all are 8 bit now in FSE. Nothing changed in settings, I don't use the new custom resolutions (i have no need for them). Display is set to be 10bit in madvr. Switching back to 0.91.11 and everything is back to 10 bit.

It's again the secondary monitor set to: 1080p23, 1080p50, 1080p59 (removing the values doesn't help) via hdmi through AVR to TV with Nvidia 1060.
Strange, I can't reproduce this here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Worked fine for a bit, but now says "madvrsettings32" corrupt and and error code 216 and madvr crash in an endless loop.
That sounds like some of the files really were damaged somehow. I'd recommend to run a scandisk on your harddrive, just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Gee, I discovered thanks to your response that my graphics card was actually outputting 12 bit RGB when set to 23/24 Hz.
Is there any advantage in quality to do that with a GT60 and would it benefit madVR? Panasonic says it has "24576 steps of gradation", which from the way they calculate that number supposedly equals 13 bit, but I have a hard time believing that.
How do you get from 24576 steps of gradation to 13bit? 2^13 = 8192. I'm not sure what Panasonic is trying to say with 24576 steps, to be honest. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Before madVR i've used CRU to create custom display modes, but mode switching in madVR didn't work properly. After 0.92 release i've realised that my WQHD display EDID data is somehow corrupted and madVR shows that it's native resolution is 1920x1080. I did reset display modes back to default with CRU "reset-all" tool and now madVR can create and switch custom display modes!
Interesting, I tried "reset-all", but it didn't help for me. The NVidia driver still refuses to override any 2160p modes with my 4K Sony TV, for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Pug View Post

FSE On, DX11 Off -> fullscreen ok, -> windowed ok
FSE On, DX11 On, -> fullscreen ok -> windowed defaults to nvidia profile
FSE Off, DX11 Off -> fullscreen defaults to nvidia -> windowed defaults to nvidia profile
Very weird!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
DXVA11 mode crashes when switching from 60hz to fullscreen 24hz (in fullscreen windowed 10-bit mode). With MPC-BE x64.
If I switch to 24hz before going fullscreen it does not crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanschneidermann View Post
Facing crashs with MPC-HC and MPC-BE.
Have you tried the test build?

madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 09:14   #44889  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:

Have you tried the test build?

I did, same crash.
Also If I switch to full screen exclusive it doesn't crash.
That way it switches from 60hz to 24hz without a problem.

DXVA2CB, fullscreen windowed 10-bit, going full screen from 60hz to 24hz = no crash
DXVA2CB, fullscreen exclusive 10-bit, going full screen from 60hz to 24hz = no crash
DXVA11, fullscreen exclusive 10-bit, going full screen from 60hz to 24hz = no crash
DXVA11, fullscreen windowed 10-bit, going full screen from 60hz to 24hz = crash
DXVA11, fullscreen windowed 10-bit, going full screen from 60hz to 60hz = no crash
DXVA11, fullscreen windowed 10-bit, going full screen from 24hz to 24hz = no crash

Tested with Windows 10 and MPC-BE x64 all latest nightlies.

Last edited by FDisk80; 20th August 2017 at 09:27.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 09:21   #44890  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Need a crash report, then.
Old 20th August 2017, 09:32   #44891  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Need a crash report, then.
Where is the log saved?
It actually asked me to send a report but I don't have any email client installed and there is no save log option, at least I didn't find one.
Old 20th August 2017, 09:42   #44892  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Press "show bug report", then Ctrl+C to copy the bug report to your clipboard.
Old 20th August 2017, 09:55   #44893  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Press "show bug report", then Ctrl+C to copy the bug report to your clipboard.
Aha, ok. Will do that when I get home.
Old 20th August 2017, 10:26   #44894  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
How do you get from 24576 steps of gradation to 13bit? 2^13 = 8192. I'm not sure what Panasonic is trying to say with 24576 steps, to be honest. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Colored steps in RGB? 24576 is suspiciously 3x 8192.
Old 20th August 2017, 10:47   #44895  |  Link
takenori

so im curious, ive got a single gtx card, is it applicable doing SLI with madvr and gains more, at -least twice the performance?
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 11:11   #44896  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenori View Post
so im curious, ive got a single gtx card, is it applicable doing SLI with madvr and gains more, at -least twice the performance?
No. SLI does not benefit madVR at all.
Old 20th August 2017, 11:45   #44897  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Pug View Post

Did you by any chance use CRU previously to try to make custom resolution ? I'm encountering the same exact behaviour.

Quote:
Maybe the CRU "reset all" helps?
I did use "reset all" and made a fresh driver install after I stopped using CRU and reverted back to Reclock. But I think somehow something got screwed up OS wise: as cork_OS mentionned, I think it did something to the way the EDID of my TV setup is read, only "reset all" didn't work for me. After using CRU, the native resolution for my AVR / TV was 1080p whereas beforehand it was 2160p. I frankly don't want to make you lose time over this until I do a fresh Windows install to be sure.
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 12:11   #44898  |  Link
Ava Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
Did you by any chance use CRU previously to try to make custom resolution ? I'm encountering the same exact behaviour.
No I've never used CRU. I've only tried doing a custom resolution through the nvidia control panel once but I always do a "clean install" when I update drivers.
Ava Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 13:14   #44899  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Interesting! What happens if you also add an optimized 24Hz custom mode? Does the Nvidia control panel then show both 23Hz and 24Hz again?
Ok I have created an optimized 23 and 24 Hz mode using madVR now. Using Win 10 Display Adapter Properties both are listed and I can switch between both just fine.

The Nvidia control panel shows the original 23Hz mode and a custom 24Hz mode. But both result in switching to the optimized 23.976 Hz mode. No way to get 24Hz from nvidia control panel.

This is what it looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/b5mI8

Quote:
Unfortunately attachments to this forum take ages to get approved (if they get approved at all). Please upload the crash report somewhere else and link here. Thanks.
https://pastebin.com/P5yCW0dM
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 13:45   #44900  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Another bug I've found is if I skip to different part of the file I'm playing either with chapters or the timeline and pause it immediately before the queues fill it, and attempt to play it, it'll stop responding and I have to close the media player with Task Manager. Sometimes I'll be playing a file and accidentally pause it after skipping to a chapter and then it will no longer play.

Let me know if you need more info.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling